ADVERTISEMENT

Did Ferentz Make a Mistake?

N.Legend

HR MVP
Aug 28, 2012
It's pretty obvious that Iowa wasn't going to be able to keep both quarterbacks (happy) in 2015. Ferentz pretty much laid the groundwork during the season for the unrest after the season (maybe during the season, who knows). So was his naming of CJB as starting QB during the off season his decision on who he wanted to stay and who he wanted to go? I can't believe he thought Rudock would stay after that decision. And if so did he make a big mistake?

yes he did as I feel he put that out to appease CJ because I don't think he thought that JR would transfer,

trying to make one happy and he ends up losing the one he did not expect to lose, now what is he going to do if CJ goes down with a injury that either ends his career or makes him miss most if not all of the 2015 season. he will need to use a untested RSFR.

it happens every year to IA RB's. a OL pushed back and rolls the QB's ankle and you have a torn ACL, a broken leg or a bad ankle. QB's are not immune from injury,

Yes he did, and he has made the same mistake multiple times throughout his career. Rather than playing the quarterback that is performing the best he shows too much loyalty to one quarterback at the expense of the team. Although, this year I'm not sure it would have made a difference because the start of the problem was with the guys calling the plays.

Sounds like KF handled his qb spot poorly throughout the season into the off season....

KF like most good coaches would prefer to have one main QB and I think he could see that CJB was going to be the one this year. He didn't want any problem with the back up like he did last year and if Jake left so be it. M any teams thrive with one experienced QB and if the Freshman is as good as advertised it'll be good for him to get some playing time. Relax and enjoy the year no matter what happens. It'll do wonders for your heart.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

yes he did as I feel he put that out to appease CJ because I don't think he thought that JR would transfer,

trying to make one happy and he ends up losing the one he did not expect to lose, now what is he going to do if CJ goes down with a injury that either ends his career or makes him miss most if not all of the 2015 season. he will need to use a untested RSFR.

it happens every year to IA RB's. a OL pushed back and rolls the QB's ankle and you have a torn ACL, a broken leg or a bad ankle. QB's are not immune from injury,
You should be happy about that RSFR.

Tyler Wiegers 6ft4in, 222lb, 4 star QB.

Originally posted by illhawkdvv:

KF like most good coaches would prefer to have one main QB and I think he could see that CJB was going to be the one this year. He didn't want any problem with the back up like he did last year and if Jake left so be it. M any teams thrive with one experienced QB and if the Freshman is as good as advertised it'll be good for him to get some playing time. Relax and enjoy the year no matter what happens. It'll do wonders for your heart.
I am thinking that either Ferentz botched this whole situation entirely. OR, the staff is really high on Wiegers and would really like for Wiegers to be the number two this coming year. If they think Wiegers is going to be really special, they need to get him into the number two position as soon as possible. "Encouraging" Ruduck to move on will help in the development of Wiegers.

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:
Nice try. Everyone knows Jake is leaving because of the fans.
No, but it would be foolhardy to think it had zero effect either.

Non-expert message board posters in uproar, clamoring for change => writers start writing about it endlessly => interviews with coaches ask the same question, putting them on the spot no matter what they say => coaches re-examining their decisions as a result of the mere question being forced upon them publicly.

A couple days ago, Tom Crean's kid was playing in a HS basketball game in Indiana, and the opposing fans started chanting "Tom Crean Sucks" during the game.

Players and coaches know about what fans say...don't ever believe they don't. Granted, they all handle it differently. But Iowa for well over 4 decades now has been described as a "fishbowl" when it comes to Hawk sports, so I believe it's pretty easy to say they hear what fans are saying, both good and bad.

The coaching staff and Ferentz screwed the pooch, no question. But to say we're innocent in all this is naïve. The truth lies somewhere in between, as with all things in life.

Originally posted by iahawkeyes17:
Sounds like KF handled his qb spot poorly throughout the season into the off season....
This is the truth.

Why be so loyal to a guy no matter what, then throw him out right AFTER a season.

Just makes no sense how he handled the whole thing.

More proof that KF has lost it, has no idea how to run a quality college football program anymore.

This post was edited on 3/11 9:40 PM by hansenhawk

It might be a mistake only if Beathard is lost for the year via injury. I'd rather tie my horses to the 2 year remaining starter, it just took KF 1 year too long to realize this change was the right one. No one is left to challenge CJB as fans merely cannot clamor to put in a RSFR regardless of HS rating.

Originally posted by bagdropper:
Originally posted by ThatsFootball:
Nice try. Everyone knows Jake is leaving because of the fans.
No, but it would be foolhardy to think it had zero effect either.

Non-expert message board posters in uproar, clamoring for change => writers start writing about it endlessly => interviews with coaches ask the same question, putting them on the spot no matter what they say => coaches re-examining their decisions as a result of the mere question being forced upon them publicly.

A couple days ago, Tom Crean's kid was playing in a HS basketball game in Indiana, and the opposing fans started chanting "Tom Crean Sucks" during the game.

Players and coaches know about what fans say...don't ever believe they don't. Granted, they all handle it differently. But Iowa for well over 4 decades now has been described as a "fishbowl" when it comes to Hawk sports, so I believe it's pretty easy to say they hear what fans are saying, both good and bad.

The coaching staff and Ferentz screwed the pooch, no question. But to say we're innocent in all this is naïve. The truth lies somewhere in between, as with all things in life.
As you pointed out, it happens everywhere. I think you are seriously insulting Jake's intelligence if you think that he believes he can just leave the criticism/fishbowl effect behind if he just transfers to a school like Michigan and competes for their starting QB job.

Typical bi-polar fan. First you want the starter benched or gone. Now he leaves and the coach is to blame as this is a mistake.

If I'm JR I'd like to know in January that I am now second team so I can transfer than know in September when I'm stuck on the bench.

Did Ferentz Make a Mistake?[/URL]N.Legend posted on 3/11/2015...

It's pretty obvious that Iowa wasn't going to be able to keep both quarterbacks (happy) in 2015. Ferentz pretty much laid the groundwork during the season for the unrest after the season (maybe during the season, who knows). So was his naming of CJB as starting QB during the off season his decision on who he wanted to stay and who he wanted to go? I can't believe he thought Rudock would stay after that decision. And if so did he make a big mistake?

Originally posted by doughudd:

Typical bi-polar fan. First you want the starter benched or gone. Now he leaves and the coach is to blame as this is a mistake.

If I'm JR I'd like to know in January that I am now second team so I can transfer than know in September when I'm stuck on the bench.

Did Ferentz Make a Mistake?[/URL]N.Legend posted on 3/11/2015...

So now revisionist history is that people wanted Jake gone last year huh? That is nice to know. In a week or two it will be people kidnapped his dog or were threatening his life.

Ferentz handed the entire situation poorly. He should have spoken to each qb privately after the bowl game and never released the 2 deeps in January. Ridiculous.

Originally posted by Aegon_Targaryen:

You should be happy about that RSFR.

Tyler Wiegers 6ft4in, 222lb, 4 star QB.
He would only be happy if you included his 40.

Originally posted by FG86:

Ferentz handed the entire situation poorly. He should have spoken to each qb privately after the bowl game and never released the 2 deeps in January. Ridiculous.
Common, Kirk always releases post season depth charts during an impromptu post season press conference where he recommits himself to coaching.

Its like clockwork.

Originally posted by hansenhawk:

This is the truth.

Why be so loyal to a guy no matter what, then throw him out right AFTER a season.

More proof that KF has lost it, has no idea how to run a quality college football program anymore.

Unbelievable, You just proved that some idiots will bitch about the coach because Rudock is playing, and then will bitch about the coach when Rudock leaves. POOR EXCUSE FOR A FAN.

Originally posted by Ladell-hawk:

Originally posted by hansenhawk:

This is the truth.

Unbelievable, You just proved that some idiots will bitch about the coach because Rudock is playing, and then will bitch about the coach when Rudock leaves. POOR EXCUSE FOR A FAN.
There are few 'fans' on this site anymore. Mainly self-absorbed, abject, small-minded, gascons who desparately seek relevance in their pathetic, chaffy lives.
We should pitty them.

Why all the HATE for the coaches? Then you bash the players by saying JR has thin skin and got his feelings hurt so now he is leaving, now you want CJB to get hurt so a RSFR has to play

You will always HATE the coaches and they can never do nothing right, it dont matter what chices the coaches make they will always be wrong

HATERS GONNA HATE

Perhaps he did it to give Jake time to figure things out rather than wait til after spring practice when he would have fewer options to look at. Actually sounds like a class thing to do.

I think it was clear that one of them was going to leave. IMO, they both brought some good things to that table, and lacked some things at the same time. I don't think QB play had a big influence on the W/L record so go with the younger QB and let the SR transfer to play right away.

Wish Jake the best of luck. He sure seems like a great young man.

The same could be said if JR stayed and CJ transferred as was being reported. If JR was still named the starter, CJ would have transferred and KF would still have to rely on a RSFR if JR were to be injured. So, the decision to name the starter came down to who KF thought gave the best chance at winning and keeping his job tentatively safe for the near future.

I believe, KF knew he was going to lose one or the other depending on who he named as starter. Based on that, he made the public announcement early enough for JR to find a new school for his graduate program and one more chance to audition for the NFL.

No

Edit: not this time, at least.
This post was edited on 3/12 10:18 AM by wyohawk

If CJB doesn't turn out to be the savior many on this board think he is, those fans will turn on him in a heartbeat and will blame KF for that too.

Im not the biggest Ferentz fan anymore, but I would never blame Ferentz for this.

Ferentz has never done anything to appease fans or a QB, never. Why would he now? If he did do it to appease CJ, then Ferentz knew all along that CJB was going to be QB1 this year. That's the only thing that makes sense.

Ferentz went with the QB who he feels give us the best chance to win. IMO it was a little late. But it give a little hope that he finally saw what a lot of other people saw, not just fans.

What we are seeing is Kilroy's favorite player JR quitting on his team.

Originally posted by GarryO37:
Im not the biggest Ferentz fan anymore, but I would never blame Ferentz for this.

Ferentz has never done anything to appease fans or a QB, never. Why would he now? If he did do it to appease CJ, then Ferentz knew all along that CJB was going to be QB1 this year. That's the only thing that makes sense.

Ferentz went with the QB who he feels give us the best chance to win. IMO it was a little late. But it give a little hope that he finally saw what a lot of other people saw, not just fans.

Looks like he was trying to appease somebody when he released a depth chart after the bowl game.

Looks like he was trying to appease somebody when he released a depth chart after the bowl game.
Or he just finally made a a decision on who gives Iowa the best chance to win. So instead of being a good teammate, JR decides he wants to leave the program.

It's one thing when a kid leaves the program because of family issues. It's another animal when someone decides to leave because they aren't the starter anymore. JR and JC will forever be remembered as the guys who put themselves ahead of their teammates and went to another school.

JC was not better than Stanzi, and JR is not better than CJ. The two situations are eerily similar. The only difference is JR is a better QB than JC and JR was QB1 a lot longer than JC, too long.

Ferentz did make a mistake. That mistake was starting Jake Rudock when it was clear to anyone who was paying attention that our future was with Beathard. At this point, I just wish that Jake would hurry up and GTFO. He's not that bad a QB, but he's become cancer.

Or he just finally made a a decision on who gives Iowa the best chance to win. So instead of being a good teammate, JR decides he wants to leave the program.

It's one thing when a kid leaves the program because of family issues. It's another animal when someone decides to leave because they aren't the starter anymore. JR and JC will forever be remembered as the guys who put themselves ahead of their teammates and went to another school.

JC was not better than Stanzi, and JR is not better than CJ. The two situations are eerily similar. The only difference is JR is a better QB than JC and JR was QB1 a lot longer than JC, too long.
The release of a depth chart at that time was for the appeasement of fans and CJB.

As for the rest of your post, don't care, has nothing to do with whether or not Ferentz is appeasing anyone.

I'm not sure about that. I don't think what he did was bad at all. There may have been some politics behind the decision, but I think he wanted to give the fans something to think about. What makes you think he didn't talk to each QB privately? I don't recall either of them speaking out as if they were blindsided by this.

I'm not sure about that. I don't think what he did was bad at all. There may have been some politics behind the decision, but I think he wanted to give the fans something to think about. What makes you think he didn't talk to each QB privately? I don't recall either of them speaking out as if they were blindsided by this.
So you are saying he gave in to the fan pressure?

He may have spoken to each privately, but no need for the release of a 2 deep at that time. If you recall, neither qb was allowed to speak to the press after the bowl game. What opportunities have either had to speak out? How do you know JR wasn't blindsided?

Yes it was handled poorly.

So you are saying he gave in to the fan pressure?

He may have spoken to each privately, but no need for the release of a 2 deep at that time. If you recall, neither qb was allowed to speak to the press after the bowl game. What opportunities have either had to speak out? How do you know JR wasn't blindsided?

Yes it was handled poorly.
Did Kirk steal your girlfriend? Take your job maybe? What exactly do you have against him? Many on here have their frustrations with the University, but you seem to have something personal against it. What is the deal?

Originally posted by N.Legend:
Yes, Ferentz made a mistake. He's still Iowa's Head Football Coach.

I do believe there was a QB mistake. But I think it was made after the '14 spring drills when KF said both QB's were equal and the staff would put together specific packages to utilize CJB's skills. Clearly a move to only keep CJB around and not leave. Didn't happen and didn't appear anything special was planned for CJB when he did get in a game. KF can NEVER use that line again. Nobody will believe it. Not players, not fans. Then the out of the blue change for the bowl game. Was that to try and help ticket sales for the bowl game? Very odd. The QB's had the head coach by the nads and played him. Still not certain that CJ stays.

Originally posted by Section8:
I do believe there was a QB mistake. But I think it was made after the '14 spring drills when KF said both QB's were equal and the staff would put together specific packages to utilize CJB's skills. Clearly a move to only keep CJB around and not leave. Didn't happen and didn't appear anything special was planned for CJB when he did get in a game. KF can NEVER use that line again. Nobody will believe it. Not players, not fans. Then the out of the blue change for the bowl game. Was that to try and help ticket sales for the bowl game? Very odd. The QB's had the head coach by the nads and played him. Still not certain that CJ stays.
KF was counting on the defense more than it actually delivered. He wasn't worried about the offense, at least not all that much.

The release of a depth chart at that time was for the appeasement of fans and CJB.

As for the rest of your post, don't care, has nothing to do with whether or not Ferentz is appeasing anyone.

If this is true, then you should have no problem naming another time Ferentz has acted to appease the fanbase and a player.

I'll be anxiously awaiting your response eventhough I doubt you will have one. There isn't one!

Just wondering why Jake feels the need to move on. I know that the fans can and have been unbearable but that's going to happen no matter where you are at. He's been given the reigns for three years now and some here, me included, saw reasons to give CJ at least a shot during that span after some less then stellar showings from Jake. And he wasn't afforded that shot very often.If he doesn't think he'll be given a fair chance of regaining his starters roll then I guess he needs to look elsewhere. Too bad, the OC should have been down the road long before we arrived at this point. Keep making the same mistakes I'm not sure why the outcome should be any different.

Originally posted by gotaloadon:

Just wondering why Jake feels the need to move on. I know that the fans can and have been unbearable but that's going to happen no matter where you are at. He's been given the reigns for three years now and some here, me included, saw reasons to give CJ at least a shot during that span after some less then stellar showings from Jake. And he wasn't afforded that shot very often.If he doesn't think he'll be given a fair chance of regaining his starters roll then I guess he needs to look elsewhere. Too bad, the OC should have been down the road long before we arrived at this point. Keep making the same mistakes I'm not sure why the outcome should be any different.
He's graduating this spring. He wants to get his PhD, and would like to get it through Michigan. He knows his future in football isn't in the NFL. He is though using football to help pay for his first year at Michigan if possible.

I know the truth. Kirk handled this bad. He is not the nice ethical guy we all thought he was

He has changed , he treated the situation bad.
Treated jake like shit in the end. They treated the bowl game bad.

It showed it was bad. The truth will come out.

The high school told Kirk he was done in south Florida.

If you all only knew how bad it was and I am a CJ fan but it was handled poor.

I know longer respect the coach, he chocked

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT