ADVERTISEMENT

Dillon Doyle at Big 12 Media Days today

Digger1

HR Heisman
Sep 30, 2001
Get some Big 12 Media Days all over yourself today 8:30AM-1PM and tomorrow 10AM-1PM on ESPNU.

Reactions: amahawk
Glad he found a nice landing place. Would have he seen the field at Iowa. Probably special teams. I’m very happy with our staters!

THIS ⬆️ is exactly what I’m talking about…

Dylan Doyle was in our rotation and appeared to have a leg up to start. (As a Quick aside, there were nepotism complainers about him getting a scholarship although he clearly deserved it)

And then next thing you know he’s not here. He goes to his new school in the “fast speedy big 12“ and immediately starts for them at middle linebacker. And likely has a good shot to play in the NFL yet he most likely wouldn’t replace any of our three linebackers. Jacobs and Campbell are both much higher NFL prospects & all three of our linebackers (probably deeper than that) are likely faster than this middle linebacker from Iowa playing again in the “speedy fast big 12”…

We have had multiple defensive backs and other defensive players leave to new teams and they contribute immediately, Julius Brents is still a starting CB for Kansas State and yet for the most part other than experiential mistakes. We haven’t missed a beat.

There are just so many misconceptions out there about teams like Iowa… Like the fast speedy big 12… I assure you our defense is faster than most, maybe every defensive unit in the big 12!

And our depth on defense, is remarkable!

And he would have been installed as a starter. His leaving was a win-win for him and for Iowa.

Not even sure what your angle here is but…

Im sure in a perfect world Dillon would’ve still loved to have finished his career with the Iowa Hawkeyes, and I don’t see how that would possibly be a bad thing for us either.

It’s a testament to our coaching staff and the effort and improvement they’ve put in to continually improving their processes, that we Could lose an all conference/NFL type linebacker and still have many more on the team to replace him!

That is my point and excitement about the totality of our D!

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
He’d be starting at Iowa too. As much as I love Benson and Jacobs, Doyle is one of the best in the country currently.

I definitely think he'd be playing over Benson had he stayed, no disrespect intended. Glad he ended up in a good situation

I could see him starting over Benson, but man, that would have been a helluva of a battle between the two.

I don't know, Benson is a damn good LB
It’s a wonder to me what players do or don’t get the full exposure of the fans love…

I have a suspicion that our plucky somewhat undersized linebacker Seth Benson will prove to have terrific agility, speed & explosion numbers when it gets time for him to run his pro day in Iowa city next spring

Am I the only one who wanted to see Jacobs line up at the cash? Seems like he has the speed to excel even when asked to do more in coverage

One of the interesting things about a comment like this, at least to me is what “makes a true athlete“…

It’s not just speed because as many fans already know this, Iowa hasn’t had a “speed problem“ at linebacker in sometime… With Josey Jewell running the slowest linebacker time in probably the last 10 years and I think a 4.78-ish which is fast enough to still play inside at the NFL level. Conversely Ben Niemann ran a 4.58 & his brother I think ran in the very low fives or high 4.4s @ 240ish Lbs. Bo Bower, much-maligned as a “poor athlete” ran a 4.59!

The point being is this: height, weight thickness of the core & a natural ability to bend and sink your hips and hip swivel are a lot more important when it comes to defending the pass…

Even years ago when our fans used to routinely complain about us using linebackers in coverage… Our guys typically had the speed to be with them, they just didn’t have the ball skills and a Db mentality…

So I guess that’s a long winded way of saying I can’t imagine Jestin Jacobs fitting as the typical “safety/cash highbred“!

As an analogy it’s why 62 and 63 cornerbacks are still somewhat of an anomaly and also why 197 pounders or a heavy weight being able to change levels with ease is a lot more spectacular and a lot more rare than 125 pounder of which all of them can do it with ease!

Reactions: BEAVERDALEHAWK
One of the interesting things about a comment like this, at least to me is what “makes a true athlete“…

It’s not just speed because as many fans already know this, Iowa hasn’t had a “speed problem“ at linebacker in sometime… With Josey Jewell running the slowest linebacker time in probably the last 10 years and I think a 4.78-ish which is fast enough to still play inside at the NFL level. Conversely Ben Niemann ran a 4.58 & his brother I think ran in the very low fives or high 4.4s @ 240ish Lbs. Bo Bower, much-maligned as a “poor athlete” ran a 4.59!

The point being is this: height, weight thickness of the core & a natural ability to bend and sink your hips and hip swivel are a lot more important when it comes to defending the pass…

Even years ago when our fans used to routinely complain about us using linebackers in coverage… Our guys typically had the speed to be with them, they just didn’t have the ball skills and a Db mentality…

So I guess that’s a long winded way of saying I can’t imagine Jestin Jacobs fitting as the typical “safety/cash highbred“!

As an analogy it’s why 62 and 63 cornerbacks are still somewhat of an anomaly and also why 197 pounders or a heavy weight being able to change levels with ease is a lot more spectacular and a lot more rare than 125 pounder of which all of them can do it with ease!
I think one of the biggest things that usually isnt mentioned is instinct - that's where Josey really excelled. Being able to diagnose, read and react to a play quickly is as if not more important that pure athleticism.

Reactions: cmhawks99

I don't believe Bo Bower was overly speedy.

Reactions: herkhatescy
don’t take my word for it. Google his pro day but I’m fairly confident it was reported he ran a 4.59 and that’s pretty electric still at this point in time for a linebacker

4.57 (not to quibble)

I could swear that I remember him doing one timed even faster before too.

Am I the only one who wanted to see Jacobs line up at the cash? Seems like he has the speed to excel even when asked to do more in coverage
I'm a huge fan of Jacobs ... but it takes more than speed to be good in coverage. You have to have strong technique, great hips, etc. Jacobs demonstrated some nice flashes in coverage ... but that's also an area where he still needs to continue to improve.

Iowa's CASH position has oft been described as essentially being like a corner with cover skills to cover the slot ... but with the run-support skills of a LB.

In other words, the the demands of the CASH position, in terms of coverage is arguably even higher than that required of our safeties ... let alone our LBs.

So I wouldn't want to see Jacobs play the CASH spot at all.

If you've heard Wallace describe his "wish list" ... he's mentioned that against a big, physical team like Wisconsin ... he'd love to be able to line his biggest, most physical LB on the outside (at LEO) ... Campbell ... and then have the other two play the ILB spots.

4.57 (not to quibble)

😊 thanks Homer for the confirmation lol and I probably had Neiman off by about the same amount. The over arching Point being: We have had plenty of fast, fluid, linebackers that we still didn’t generally want covering wide receivers downfield!

Although admittedly every team offensive concept tries to isolate that at some point in time because we all (defensive concepts) have to do it at some point in coverage!?!

Hence Jacobs can cover and will have to cover at sometime in our concept. He still is not a 6-2, 220 pound safety or 6-1 205 pound cornerback. Which themselves are still somewhat anomalies at their positions. I would wager we’ve only very recently even approached 511 five 11 1/2 in average cornerback height and safety might be 61 215-ish I really don’t know. But they still are lower to the ground with likely better hip swivel and quick twitch muscling! In & out of breaks!

4.57 (not to quibble)

PS…sorry for the Novella on that completely tangential point that I had been involved in above LOL. With somebody else…😜

Last edited:
I'm only disappointed for him that he didn't get to live out his dream of playing only for Iowa. He's done very well for himself through his own initiative and hard work, so good on him and I hope he has a great season.

Related to the topic of combines and scouting and talent evaluation, I had an interesting meet with a Twins employee recently. Minor League ball is using cameras and technology to evaluate players, speed, reaction times, pitch rotation and locations, pitching motion, etc. The cameras and tech are even calling the balls and strikes (the umps are not). The tech notifies the ump wearing an ear piece and the ump does the call. It is so fast no one notices, but that is what they are doing. Most fans think the ump is making the calls. That person said it is basically taking scouting out of the hands of human scouts at those levels anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT