ADVERTISEMENT

DIY experts

I’m on it. Wife got a scale from someone, so we’re good to go. Just ordered the springs…by Wednesday night I’ll either be in the ER or having a working door.
Choice Choose GIF by G2 Esports

Reactions: Twoooooooo
I would call the garage door people.

What sort of opener you have makes no difference. As you surmised, it's the weight of the door that matters. You don't want the door to come slamming down and hit your child or your dog. Needs to drop slowly without any velocity or force upon impact.
I noticed you left out the wife in your list of possible victims

Reactions: HawkMD
I need to replace a torsion spring on my garage door that snapped. Got everything put back together as far as the wheels that popped off and wires that got messed up, but I have no idea which springs to order. I’ve got no idea where a users guide would be, so no help there.

It’s a Chamberlain 3/4 HP garage door for a single stall, 10’x7’. The old spring measures 27” long by 1.75” diameter (outside diameter of spring). I have no idea how heavy the door is…this is my problem. I don’t have a scale to weigh it, and no real way to figure it out. Any suggestions?
Wait, wheels popped off?? That shouldn't happen just due to a broken spring. Also, did you check the cables very closely to make sure no frays or kinks?

BTW, I'm sure you're already aware but you're going to have to partially disassemble that stuff again to get the old spring off and the new one on. As many have said, be careful. It's certainly not complicated, just a lot of pressure on those springs and winding bars getting them where they need to be.

Did you consider the EZ Set torsion springs where you can just use a drill to tighten them?

Reactions: Kelsers
It's a manageable maintenance project, but take your time, and be extremely careful,.. Personally, I'd spend the little bit of money required to have a professional do it, and then also have confidence that everything was properly adjusted.

Reactions: Kelsers
I’m a do it yourself kind of guy but this isn’t a project I’ll tackle unless the spring comes with the garage door. Our garage door guy charged $100 or so plus parts to do it.
Yup paid right around $150 for parts and labor the two times I've had to have it done. I was thinking of doing myself but for that cost, eh I'll pay Overhead Doors to come out and they did within a few hours of calling. I did mention that to the guy while he was replacing them and he did say yeah pretty straightforward as long as don't stand in a particular spot while doing it or you can really f yourself up if something unexpectedly releases. I didn't pay attention to where the danger zone was, already decided it was a task I'll just keep paying to have done.

Last edited:
OP, if you are going to do this yourself, you should also coat the springs with a thin coat of oil when finished (spray lubricant, or just brush some 10W-30 motor oil on them). It increases spring life.

I love DIY projects but I wont do this project. However, most of the time when I have had to hire someone I realize that I could have done it myself. Getting ready to tackle a shower remodel. I will do all of it minus the plumbing..

TJ thinks
Just because someone gets paid to do something doesn’t mean they’re going to do it right. I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve paid a professional to do something and they fvcked it up.
TJ thinks he knows more than the professionals? I'm shocked.
Can you imagine the 10 page text string between he and the last guy he thought did something wrong? lol

Reactions: beanerhawk
Just because someone gets paid to do something doesn’t mean they’re going to do it right. I’ve lost track of the number of times I’ve paid a professional to do something and they fvcked it up.
True story, about 10 years ago we hired a plumber to replace one of our water heaters. I watched and realized that I wasted a lot of money to let them do it. Few years after that I replaced our other heater. Had the inspector come out and mine passed inspection and the one they did was not done right and the inspector just fixed their minor (and lazy) F up. Twas a proud moment for me.

Reactions: hawkosx
Fortunately my garage door system is the extension spring type and a couple of years ago I replaced everything except the door itself. New springs, new cables, new pulleys and replaced all of the rollers in the door and added safety cables for the new springs which had never been installed previously.

If my system was a torsion spring style, there's no way would I have done that myself. The risk of something going very wrong far outweighs the cost savings.

Reactions: hawkmart
TJ thinks

Can you imagine the 10 page text string between he and the last guy he thought did something wrong? lol

He's mostly right, provided it's something you know how to do,.. The average home owner will almost always be more conscientious about achieving a good result, than the recently hired kid that commonly shows up at your door to address the complaint...

Reactions: TJ8869 and Kelsers
The issue isn’t who knows more. The issue is who does a more thorough, conscientious job of making sure it’s done right.

When I do a DIY project, it’s done exactly the way I want it done. When I pay someone to do it, he’s just trying to get it done as quickly as he can because his boss is up his ass to finish it and move on to his next service call.

Reactions: Rifler
You may want to vet who your hiring a little closer.

Reactions: BelemNole
The issue isn’t who knows more. The issue is who does a more thorough, conscientious job of making sure it’s done right.

When I do a DIY project, it’s done exactly the way I want it done. When I pay someone to do it, he’s just trying to get it done as quickly as he can because his boss is up his ass to finish it and move on to his next service call.
Sounds like you hire shitty people.

Sounds like you hire shitty people.
I wouldn’t call the #1 rated Toyota dealership in Ohio “shitty people” but they did fvck up three oil changes on my vehicle. So now, even though my vehicle came with lifetime free oil changes, I would rather pay $50 out of pocket for the oil and filter and do it myself than let them do it for free.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT