ADVERTISEMENT

A trans woman joined a sorority. Then her new sisters turned on her.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
LARAMIE, Wyo. — The morning sky was still dark as Artemis Langford’s father hoisted the last of her belongings into her car for the drive back to college.

“Be safe,” he told her.

“I will,” she promised.

She didn’t mention how a day earlier, as she scrolled through social media comments, she saw someone had called her a “sicko” who should be torn apart in a woodchipper. Or how she discovered her name on neo-Nazi websites. Or how news stories about her had been posted on a forum for gun owners, alongside a hangman’s noose.

Story continues below advertisement

It wasn’t what she imagined last year when she joined Kappa Kappa Gamma at the University of Wyoming, becoming the first transgender woman in the state to be inducted into a sorority. She thought she had finally found sisterhood and a place to belong after years of shame and loneliness.

Instead, she became a target.

Right-wing pundits portrayed her on national television as a predator — as a perverted man who faked his way into a sorority to leer at women. Death threats followed. Strangers began stalking her. Police assigned extra patrols to the sorority house.

But the most hurtful accusations came this past spring. That’s when Artemis discovered members of her sorority — seven sisters out of the 40-some members — were working with lawyers to oust her. On March 27, they filed a lawsuit in federal court against Artemis and Kappa Kappa Gamma.

“Hate from strangers is one thing,” Artemis said. “It was a gut punch after working so hard to get in to realize there were people who never wanted me there in the first place.”

Over the summer, she thought about quitting but decided against it — for herself, for the precedent it could set for other trans students and for the sisterhood she still hoped to find.

So on an early morning in late August, Artemis, wearing a black dress and denim jacket, got in her car, shut the door and backed out of her father’s driveway. She drove quickly, not stopping once in six hours to eat or use the bathroom. She worried how others in rural Wyoming might perceive her.

“I don’t pass well,” she said. “I’ve always been tall and heavy.”

It was almost noon by the time she reached campus. She and chapter leaders had agreed that she shouldn’t live in the sorority house, for her safety and theirs. But when she reached her assigned dorm, the parking lot was jam-packed, so Artemis reluctantly pulled into a space on Greek Row.

Just steps away sat the Kappa house. Along one wall hung a painted banner. “This is so the happy place,” it read in big black letters.

It took five trips to her car to unload everything. As she was standing in the parking lot, figuring out what to do about dinner, she saw them walking toward her — two of the Kappa sisters from the lawsuit against her.

Artemis turned away, but they had already spotted her and began whispering. As they passed, the two girls shot Artemis a look of disgust. She stared down at her phone, pretending not to notice. But the encounter left her shaken.

It felt like confirmation of her worst fears — that this semester would be no different, no less awful.

“Do I even have a place in Kappa anymore?” she asked herself. “Is it worth fighting for?”

A ‘forever home’​

As a freshman, Artemis had listened to a friend describe life in a sorority. It sounded nothing like the movie stereotypes of keg parties and elaborate hazing. Her friend talked of being supported through tough times, helping philanthropic causes, finding a “forever home” she could rely on for the rest of her life.

Artemis remembers dismissing the idea with a laugh.

“Well, no sorority would ever have a trans person,” she said.

“Mine would,” her friend quickly replied.

For weeks, Artemis couldn’t shake that vision of a “forever home.”

Her social circle at UW at the time skewed heavily toward other LGBTQ+ students. Just weeks earlier, one of them — a fellow transgender student — had killed themself. Artemis was among the first to discover the body in the dorm and called 911. Soon after, another friend attempted suicide but survived.

Artemis had tried taking her own life, too, as a child and teenager. Now her LGBTQ+ community in Laramie, fragile to start, was fracturing.

She hungered for the support her sorority friend had described.

A history major, she started researching the origins of American sororities. The earliest began in the 19th century, when few women attended colleges. They often found themselves alone and denigrated, and they banded together to prove themselves equal to men.

Artemis saw her own life in their stories. Fitting in had never come easily.

She grew up in a devoutly Mormon family. She watched Bill O’Reilly and Fox News on her grandfather’s lap. She was taught as a child how to shoot a gun and that there’s no place in heaven for gay people.

But even as a small child, Artemis felt something wrong inside.

When doctors diagnosed her on the autistic spectrum at age 8, she thought that was the reason. It wasn’t until eighth grade, when she began questioning her gender, that she felt she had found an answer. She remembered staying up one night in 2016 and praying for hours. She begged God to take away her pain and confusion. To make her like other boys at school. Or if not, to give her a sign that the woman she felt inside was real.

As morning dawned, she felt enveloped in an eerie but comforting silence and saw that as God’s reply.

She created a spreadsheet of people she planned to come out to. Knowing her transition wouldn’t be welcomed by her family or the Mormon Church, she created another spreadsheet and began trying out other places of worship.

As a sophomore at UW, she decided it was time for a new spreadsheet. She started researching campus sororities and their official LGBTQ+ policies and contacted them one by one. Among the core values for Kappa women, she was told, was “the trailblazing spirit.”

That’s me, she decided.

The bid to get in was difficult. Her autism made socializing overwhelming, so she brainstormed questions to come off as friendly and interested in others.

She still counts the day she was accepted into Kappa as among the happiest in her life. But within hours, the backlash began.

‘Not the place for any man’​

Artemis was still at the sorority house on acceptance day when a stranger messaged her on Instagram.

“Hi, sorry this is strange,” the message read. “But I just got [an email] relating to kappa kappa gamma that’s about you and I feel like you should know.”

The mother of a current member had misfired an email intended for Kappa alumni to a woman in Australia. The mother was begging alumni to object to Artemis’s induction.

“I am writing to you as a concerned parent,” the email began. “The chapter has extended a bid (open recruitment) to a TRANSGENDER (born male that is still a man) individual and he has accepted today.”

The mother continued: “I don’t know where you sit morally on this subject and I am not homophobic. … However a SORORITY (designed in the 1800s as an ALL woman club) is NOT THE PLACE FOR ANY MAN or person who is not born female. That is what FRATERNITIES are for.”

The mother ended her email with a screenshot of Artemis’s Instagram profile, saying: “Please see the attachment. … There’s something wrong with this person.”

The stranger in Australia said she felt someone should warn Artemis. “I’m totally disgusted by what this person is saying,” her message read. “I hope this doesn’t cause you too much distress to read, but I couldn’t not let you know.”

Artemis shared the email with her new sorority leaders, who promised to deal with it. She tried to stay calm, but it felt like a warning.

Within weeks, her name was making the rounds on conservative news outlets. One called her a “trans-identified biological male.” Another, the National Review, quoted an anonymous Kappa sister, saying she felt pressured by leaders to vote Artemis in. The magazine described her as “a tall, heavier man with facial hair” and quoted the anonymous sister saying that “he has made no efforts to physically look like a girl.”

For the next year, the media coverage continued in waves, dying down only to overwhelm her again.

On Fox News, newly hired network contributor Caitlyn Jenner called Artemis “a perverted, sexually deviant male.” A column in the Daily Mail by Meghan McCain — the daughter of the late U.S. senator John McCain (R-Ariz.) — called Artemis an active threat. “Let’s call this what it is — an invasion of women’s spaces by biological men under the guise of acceptance,” she wrote.

With each story and TV segment, violent and alarming messages would flood Artemis’s phone.

“Sociopath.”

“Artemis Langford better fear for his life.”

“I miss the days when they would just kill themselves.”

A friend gave her a device with a wailing alarm and strobe light to deter attackers.

“It was a scary time for all of us,” said Grace Hardin, 21, who lived in Artemis’s dorm, “especially when the stalking began.”

Users posted Artemis’s movements on Yik Yak, an anonymous app popular on some college campuses. “The Kappa man is at Walmart” and “The Kappa man is going to Kappa house,” the messages read.

The death threats sparked alarm in the university’s small but vibrant LGBTQ+ community.

“You could feel the tension on campus,” said Tanner Ewalt, 21, a member of the Queer Community Coalition student group. The club tried to hold a vigil, changing the location at least twice because of safety concerns before finally holding it off campus.

For many, the death threats dredged up uncomfortable echoes of Laramie’s past.

It was 25 years ago on this same campus that two men abducted a gay student named Matthew Shepard. They tied him to a split-rail fence, pistol-whipped him, set him on fire and left him to die. When authorities found him, his head was entirely covered in blood except for a track of tears on either side of his face.

His death became one of the most infamous hate crimes in U.S. history and sparked plays, documentaries, gay rights campaigns and new laws across the country — except in Wyoming.

Wyoming remains one of only two states that hasn’t enacted legislation against hate crimes. And the only physical marker remaining on campus of Shepard’s death is a plain park bench with his name, in front of the arts and sciences building.

Everything was fine until the underwear pillow fight broke out and three freshmen were concussed.

Chris Pratt Tom GIF by Parks and Recreation

I think the important thing is something no one is talking about. It's still OK to make fun of her for being a fatty boombalatty, correct? Or does her transness protect her from people pointing out her fatness?

Like, if she tried to get a Hooter's job, would it still be OK to disqualify her because of her fatness or would that now be considered anti-trans bigotry?

He’s a male who has some personality issues.

KKG is an original Panhellenic top tier national who holds a position of respect on every campus where they have a chapter and for this to happen to them is just sad.
Get back to me when he cuts off his package, has his Chromosomes modified and can get pregnant.

I think the important thing is something no one is talking about. It's still OK to make fun of her for being a fatty boombalatty, correct? Or does her transness protect her from people pointing out her fatness?

Like, if she tried to get a Hooter's job, would it still be OK to disqualify her because of her fatness or would that now be considered anti-trans bigotry?
Sure thing. She’s a cow.

Last edited:
Do rules mean nothing around here?

JUDGE_DISMISSES_LAWSUIT_OVER_TRANS_PERSON_IN_WYOMING_SORORITY.jpg
One of these things is not like the other?
An unedited pic would help, but it appears that Kappa doesn't admit fat girls in general, so letting this guy in went against their normal practices.
That article was long on feelings and conjecture and short on facts and details.

It wasn’t until eighth grade, when she began questioning her gender, that she felt she had found an answer. l

Society is supposed to interact with this person how they decided one day when they were 14?

I mean I fully understand tolerating and treating them with respect. However, their “beliefs” should not infringe on the rights of others. Forcing themselves on the sorority and not respecting the wishes of those women who do not want a biological male in their sorority is at minimum very inconsiderate of them and selfish.

The hatred is the same, pre or post op doesn't make a difference to those that fear them.
I don’t think most people have an issue with Trans people. It is the fact that society compels you to treat a visual man that says he is a woman as a woman and also give them the same privileges as women. To me is is not about being anti trans gender as I can respect people for how they want to live their lives. For me it is about being pro-women and not washing them and their accomplishments off the face of the Earth. It is crazy times we live in when we have “men” able to compete in women sports simply because they say they are female. Imagine any other scenario in life where you could compete with others, apply for various scholarships or other things by simply saying you are something you are not.

I don’t think most people have an issue with Trans people. It is the fact that society compels you to treat a visual man that says he is a woman as a woman and also give them the same privileges as women. To me is is not about being anti trans gender as I can respect people for how they want to live their lives. For me it is about being pro-women and not washing them and their accomplishments off the face of the Earth. It is crazy times we live in when we have “men” able to compete in women sports simply because they say they are female. Imagine any other scenario in life where you could compete with others, apply for various scholarships or other things by simply saying you are something you are not.
Donny Trump and George Santos say Hold my beer.

Why do you fear this?? To each their own, mind your own dysfunctional business.
When your personal freedom takes over others personal freedoms I have a major problem. If women don't want trans/eunuchs in their restrooms and private spaces then they should absolutely be able to say no and everyone agree immediately. That's not what the left is doing, though.

When your personal freedom takes over others personal freedoms I have a major problem. If women don't want trans/eunuchs in their restrooms and private spaces then they should absolutely be able to say no and everyone agree immediately. That's not what the left is doing, though.
**** you and your personal freedoms bullshit. It's all about YOUR BELIEFS AND FREEDOMS, IT'S **** EVERYONE ELSE.

PUNK ASS BITCH.

So now it's 'women deserve their own space and we should force sororities to only accept who we think is applicable, not them.'?
Interesting as ever.

Reactions: OhAdam and Scruddy
So now it's 'women deserve their own space and we should force sororities to only accept who we think is applicable, not them.'?
Interesting as ever.

I actually agree with your sentiment. Problem the sorority has is obviously not everyone in their sorority was on board with this.

Reactions: goldmom
I actually agree with your sentiment. Problem the sorority has is obviously not everyone in their sorority was on board with this.
Isn't that usually the case with membership? Who likes everyone?
If you decide the group has made a decision you can't live with then find another group that shares your values.
Don't wage a terror campaign.

Isn't that usually the case with membership? Who likes everyone?
If you decide the group has made a decision you can't live with then find another group that shares your values.
Don't wage a terror campaign.
I bet you that if she was a Dylan Mulvaney looking trans person they’d have less of an issue with it. I think the fatness plays a big part.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT