ADVERTISEMENT

Djokovic has Won 24 Grand Slams. Nadal at 22, Federer at 20. Djokovic Year End World #1 a Record 8 Times & World #1 a Record 404 Weeks(Federer at 310)

By the way Fran, I'm going to be watching the match on delay this afternoon/evening. Can you please not update the title to the thread until later tonight? I can easily not open the thread, but I can't easily not see the title of the thread. I'd appreciate it. I'll post in this thread as soon as I am finished watching the match.

have a great day and enjoy the match!

Reactions: DooBi
Alcaraz needed to get the second set quickly after jumping out to a 2-0 lead.

I don’t think today’s the day.

Don’t think he ever gets tired. But cmon Alcaraz.
He wasn’t going for shots he normally goes for. That weird overhead. Not even moving towards the drop shots. Not returning to center after hitting.

You’re right, though. Alcaraz is playing incredible tennis.

major-league-cleveland-indians.gif

I heard that from the time Alcaraz was born in 2003 until this morning only 4 people had won Wimbledon:

Federer
Djokovic
Nadal
Murray

Talk about a break through.

Not sure who's gonna stop this Carlos Alcaraz freight train once Novak retires.

Reactions: DFSNOLE and DooBi
Awesome drop shots by Carlos, too many unforced errors by Novak. Great match to watch...
That's exactly the match in a nutshell.

what's scary for the rest of the field is that:

* clay is his best surface, so look out next year at the French
* he's pretty damn good on grass & will only get better
* hell, he's good on hard courts, too; he's the defending US Open champ!
* he's only 20 and is gonna be around for 12-15 more years (or maybe more)

Reactions: DooBi and hawkosx
I heard that from the time Alcaraz was born in 2003 until this morning only 4 people had won Wimbledon:

Federer
Djokovic
Nadal
Murray

Talk about a break through.

Not sure who's gonna stop this Carlos Alcaraz freight train once Novak retires.

Honestly, I think injuries have the most potential to derail him. Not your normal tennis-body, more like soccer. I worry about muscle pulls and tears. Nadal managed to avoid it in his career for the most part. I also wonder if he can maintain this tennis intensity (working and training harder than anyone) and the love of the game for a decade-stretch. It's very difficult. The mental game always needs tweaking, although he's been on point since the French Final.

He won't win them all. Nobody does. I think Rune and Sinner have the games to push him, but he is clearly a notch above them. Some others will step up and try to challenge. Good luck.

Alcaraz certainly has the look and is well on pace to be a double-digit major winner. There aren't many of those around. He is awesome to watch.

Honestly, I think injuries have the most potential to derail him. Not your normal tennis-body, more like soccer. I worry about muscle pulls and tears. Nadal managed to avoid it in his career for the most part. I also wonder if he can maintain this tennis intensity (working and training harder than anyone) and the love of the game for a decade-stretch. It's very difficult. The mental game always needs tweaking, although he's been on point since the French Final.

He won't win them all. Nobody does. I think Rune and Sinner have the games to push him, but he is clearly a notch above them. Some others will step up and try to challenge. Good luck.

Alcaraz certainly has the look and is well on pace to be a double-digit major winner. There aren't many of those around. He is awesome to watch.

Completely agree with you that injuries might be a potential issue. Carlos reminds me of Nadal; super fast, great instincts, running and getting to everything. The main difference is Nadal had Federer and Djokovic to deal with at each major; I don't see any such player (or players) standing in Alcaraz's path at the moment. Hopefully some of these young guys step up. We'll see.

It was fascinating to see a guy with so little experience on grass volleying at the net like an old pro.

I am gonna stick to my prediction that 10 years from now he will have won 20 majors. I think he's that good (and he's just going to get better and better).

Reactions: cfbfan23
Completely agree with you that injuries might be a potential issue. Carlos reminds me of Nadal; super fast, great instincts, running and getting to everything. The main difference is Nadal had Federer and Djokovic to deal with at each major; I don't see any such player (or players) standing in Alcaraz's path at the moment. Hopefully some of these young guys step up. We'll see.

It was fascinating to see a guy with so little experience on grass volleying at the net like an old pro.

I am gonna stick to my prediction that 10 years from now he will have won 20 majors. I think he's that good (and he's just going to get better and better).
I'm starting to agree with 20 after what we saw Sunday.

Injuries are the wild card. I really thought Mark Philippoussis was going to break through and then he destroyed his knee and was never the same.

Johnny Mac opined that Carlos has the most complete skill-set at his age than anyone ever.
Maybe he does not bulk up as much as Raffy as he matures thus avoiding injury.
That said the big 3 have stayed remarkably healthy over decade plus.

Reactions: littlez and mnole03
Johnny Mac opined that Carlos has the most complete skill-set at his age than anyone ever.
Maybe he does not bulk up as much as Raffy as he matures thus avoiding injury.
That said the big 3 have stayed remarkably healthy over decade plus.
Federer and Djokavic’s injury record was incredible for just how much they played over two decades. Djokavic especially.

Sampras had back issues. Rafter had tendinitis in his shoulder. Nadal had nagging lower body injuries. Wawrinka busted his knee.

Last edited:
I'm starting to agree with 20 after what we saw Sunday.

Here's when the Big 3 and Carlos won their first major:

At age 19, in 2022--Alcaraz's 1st Grand Slam win, at the US Open

At age 20, in 2008--Djokovic's 1st Grand Slam win, at the Australian Open. He interrupted Federer & Nadal's streak of 11 consecutive majors

At age 19, in 2005
--Nadal's 1st Grand Slam win, at the the French Open

At age 22, in 2003--Federer's 1st Grand Slam win, at Wimbledon

Injuries are the wild card. I really thought Mark Philippoussis was going to break through and then he destroyed his knee and was never the same.

In a way its surprising to me that there are not more knee injuries in tennis. Players were slipping and falling all tournament long. And the quick stops they make put a lot of pressure on the joint

In a way its surprising to me that there are not more knee injuries in tennis. Players were slipping and falling all tournament long. And the quick stops they make put a lot of pressure on the joint
2004 was the turning point on ACL and MCL reconstruction. They nailed down the surgeries and rehab to get back to near 100%.

Wawrinka’s issue was cartilage and scar tissue, if I remember correctly. But to your point it is incredible how much they practice and play coming down at awkward angles.

Reactions: Franisdaman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT