ADVERTISEMENT

Djokovic has Won 24 Grand Slams. Nadal at 22, Federer at 20. Djokovic Year End World #1 a Record 8 Times & World #1 a Record 404 Weeks(Federer at 310)

Just personally, I am even starting to watch some of the smaller tournaments. I love watching tennis. It's fun that my son also plays and is quite good. He was varsity #2 as a sophomore and varsity 1 as a junior. He's got one more year.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Just personally, I am even starting to watch some of the smaller tournaments. I love watching tennis. It's fun that my son also plays and is quite good. He was varsity #2 as a sophomore and varsity 1 as a junior. He's got one more year.
Where does he play?

So here’s the story on surfaces Fran. About 10 years ago (maybe a little longer) the tennis people thought the men’s game was getting boring. To fast and not enough rallies. So they slowed down all surfaces (including grass) so now basically all courts are kind of the same. In the old days a big server could go out and possibly win Wimbledon. See Ivanisivic, Becker, etc. Now I think it’s gone a little to much the other way. Which is now why Djokovic is almost unbeatable. Can’t serve him off the court, can’t outlast him, he never misses balls. I see him winning at least 3-5 more at a minimum unless he gets hurt. Or bored.

Interesting. How do you make hard courts, clay courts, and grass slower? I mean, clay was always slow. And it seemed that Wimbledon courts were always fast. Did they do something with the ball to slow down the velocity?

Once Djokovic fades into the sunset, will this be the next Big 3?

358584665_807971484319099_3495568566044332179_n.jpg

Reactions: DooBi
If you don’t get Djokovic in 3 or 4 sets, it’s almost impossible to keep up with him in later sets. His endurance is incredible.

Djokovic advances to the Wimbledon final with a 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4) win.

He's now won 15 major tie breaks in a row.

He advances to a record (men & women) 35th Grand Slam Final (he was tied with Chris Evert at 34).

Yes and no. I’m predicting Alcaraz probably hits 8-10 grand slams. The others might get a couple but no guarantees. So while they are the next gen they’re not close to Fed, Joker and Nadal. Possible that Alcaraz could be.

I am just wondering as Alcaraz keeps getting better and better, who's gonna beat him?

Maybe predicting 20 slams for him by age 30 is too high...we'll see....

Djokovic advances to the Wimbledon final with a 6-3, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4) win.

He's now won 15 major tie breaks in a row.

He advances to a record (men & women) 35th Grand Slam Final (he was tied with Chris Evert at 34).
A long time ago I bet someone Djokovic would end up with more grand slams titles than Federer. He wanted to bet $100k. I should have agreed.

A long time ago I bet someone Djokovic would end up with more grand slams titles than Federer. He wanted to bet $100k. I should have agreed.

I thought Serena would be the first to 25 (where someone finally passed Margaret Court, who sits at 24).

I am gonna be wrong. ;)

Overall Grand Slam Titles:

24 Margaret Court
23 Novak Djokovic
23 Serena Williams
22 Rafael Nadal
22 Steffi Graf
20 Roger Federer

Reactions: mnole03
I thought Serena would be the first to 25 (where someone finally passed Margaret Court, who sits at 24).

I am gonna be wrong. ;)

Overall Grand Slam Titles:
24 Margaret Court
23 Novak Djokovic
23 Serena Williams
22 Rafael Nadal
22 Steffi Graf
20 Roger Federer
Serena had a few good looks. I thought the US Open against Osaka was 24.

Pregnancy, a traumatic birth, and recovery definitely set her back.

Good lord Med got smoked! Lol damn

Alcaraz made very quick work of the #3 player in the world.

The changing of the guard might be sooner than I thought....Crazy that Alcarza is just 20 years old and is kicking everyone's ass right now with the exception of the 36 year old Djokovic. I wonder how much longer Djokovic can hold off the constantly improving Alcaraz....

Reactions: littlez

The changing of the guard might be sooner than I thought....Crazy that Alcarza is just 20 years old and is kicking everyone's ass right now with the exception of the 36 year old Djokovic. I wonder how much longer Djokovic can hold off the constantly improving Alcaraz....
Should be an awesome match Sunday!

I think Alcaraz gets him in this one. The surface is too fast and Alcaraz is crushing it.

Last edited:
#1 seed Alcaraz or #2 seed Djokovic: Who has the edge in the men's Wimbledon final? Brad Gilbert and Patrick McEnroe discuss the keys to victory for Carlos Alcaraz and Novak Djokovic heading into the men's Wimbledon final.

This is Djokovic's 35th Major Final (most all-time, men & women).

Watch here:

Last edited:
Reactions: DooBi
#1 seed Alcaraz or #2 seed Djokovic: Who has the edge in the men's Wimbledon final? Brad Gilbert and Patrick McEnroe discuss the keys to victory for Carlos Alcaraz and Novak Djokovic heading into the men's Wimbledon final.

This is Djokovic's 35th Major Final (most all-time, men & women).

Watch here:

Man, I'm getting more and more pumped for this.

I think Alcaraz gets him in this one. The surface is too fast and Alcaraz is crushing it.

Would not count on it. I’d like to see him get this one but wouldn’t count on it.

Man, I'm getting more and more pumped for this.

Patrick McEnroe, regarding #1 vs #2 in the Wimbledon final: "This is what the tennis world wanted to see."

I have a feeling Carlos won't have any cramping issues this time around. But if it goes to 5 sets, not sure if Novak can be beaten.

The "Big 3" (as we knew it) is down to the "Big 1." Federer has retired; Nadal said he will be back for one more year but how good can he/will he be? Novak is 36. Once Alcaraz breaks through and dethrones Djokovic at a major, I am not sure who's gonna stop him over the next 10-12 years. The only thing that may stop him is his body breaking down (injury, cramping during a match).

Nice Wimbledon Final preview story from ESPN.

Some excerpts:

In his 6 matches during the tournament, Djokovic has won 100 of his 103 service games and saved 16 of 19 break points.

The age gap between Djokovic, 36, and Sinner, 21, was the largest between Wimbledon men's semifinalists in the Open era, which began in 1968. Djokovic would be the oldest champion at Wimbledon since professionals were first allowed to compete that year.

Djokovic looks to join Roger Federer as the only men to have won 8 singles trophies at Wimbledon. Martina Navratilova won the women's championship 9 times.

The Full Story:

"Alcaraz will be the ruling force in men's tennis for the next decade...."

But what about today?

This is a nice preview story from ESPN. 5 out of 6 ESPN experts predict Novak winning his 24th Grand Slam.

Some excerpts:

Who will win?​

Pam Shriver: Djokovic will win his 24th major title on Sunday, then move onto the US Open with the calendar year Grand Slam in play.

Alexandra Stevenson: Djokovic could win. He could get 24. However, I'm backing Alcaraz to upset the Djokovic plan. If Alcaraz can control the center of the court as much as possible with his forehand -- and bring the serve and make his spots -- we will have a 20-year-old winning the Wimbledon Championship Trophy.

Bill Connelly: "Beat Djokovic in a best-of-five" is pretty much the only test Alcaraz hasn't passed over the last two years. He's got the game for it -- he's got the game for absolutely anything -- but the mental game is always going to favor Djokovic, and hey, I'm never one to bet against a streak. Djokovic has won 34 straight matches at Wimbledon, and I'm not going to pick him to lose one until he reminds us that he can. Djokovic in 4.

Tom Hamilton: This has the hallmarks of being a true Wimbledon epic. Alcaraz will be the ruling force in men's tennis for the next decade, but this is still Djokovic's stage. Djokovic can allow himself to have the odd momentary slip and still come through -- he's that good. I expect the two to exchange sets but Djokovic to pull away and close it out in four, prompting yet another chance at a calendar Grand Slam.

D'Arcy Maine: While Alcaraz's game has dramatically improved in just a matter of weeks on grass, it's hard to see him being able to stop Djokovic on this surface at a tournament in which he has achieved so much success and has been so dominant. Djokovic wins major No. 24 in four sets.

Alyssa Roenigk: No one would bet against Djokovic in a Wimbledon final
, especially considering the way he is playing right now. Alcaraz will need to play mistake-free tennis like he did in the final two sets against Holger Rune. Last May, Alcaraz found a way to beat Djokovic in Madrid. But that was on clay in a best-of-three format. Beating the 23-time Slam winner in best-of-five tennis at Centre Court is an entirely different challenge and will require emotional and physical endurance and a ton of belief. Alcaraz said he will do his best to forget he is playing in a final against Djokovic. Djokovic will do all he can to remind him.

The Full Story:

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Damn. Looks like nerves just get to her in finals. She’s the way better player. 0-3 now in grand slam finals.
Damn is right. Very disappointing final for me and for the crowd. You could tell they were pulling for Ons. I know I was.

John McEnroe brought up "the changing of the guard...."

36 year old Djokovic. 20 year old Alcaraz.

It's just a matter of time....not sure if the changing of the guard occurs today, however....

hate it when that happens LOL
By the way Fran, I'm going to be watching the match on delay this afternoon/evening. Can you please not update the title to the thread until later tonight? I can easily not open the thread, but I can't easily not see the title of the thread. I'd appreciate it. I'll post in this thread as soon as I am finished watching the match.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT