ADVERTISEMENT

Do QB's Regress Under Ferentz?

Seems like QBs in the Ferentz system are required to manage the game, nothing more.

They end up being upset because we can't field starting caliber WR's. I remember Tate being livid when Herb Grigsby was our #1 WR.

They end up being upset because we can't field starting caliber WR's. I remember Tate being livid when Herb Grigsby was our #1 WR.

Grigsby pisses me off. I really really hate to single out players, but there were MANY plays where Grigsby flat out quit.

KF likes what the new guy brings in because they've made each qb a game manager. So the 2nd stringer brings aggressive play to win the job, then gets turned into a game manager and we start all over. They want to win 17-14 not 35-27.

Reactions: shoot_the_three
The staff should go back and watch how Hayden actually trusted and believed in his Qb's abilities. He would live with some mistakes because he trusted they would make many more plays than make mistakes.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
2006 and 2012, Tate/VDB had bare cupboards for support, as CJ does now.
Exactly. Tate got better as a junior (even though the team won less games) from his sophomore year, but did regress statistically as a senior, though he wasn't healthy and the receiving core was depleted. Stanzi got better as a senior, even though the team won less games.

The thing that drives me crazy about KF is that instead of opening things up more as his QB's gain experience he seems to do the opposite.

GDs passing scheme is the biggest issue at Iowa imo. I don't think it works, not at Iowa. Just compare stats for both Rudock and JVB between Sr and Jr yrs with different OCs. The difference is astounding. My theory is it just takes too much talent to make work at WR and QB. The QB is always somewhat indecisive, even if just split seconds, because he isn't 100% sure what the WR is going to do so he must make plays outside of the play. That leads to a lot of sacks and horizontal passes.

With Kirk's system, any mistake puts us behind an insurmountable wall. If we don't get 4 yards on first down, you can bet we will punt.
I love college football, and I love the Hawkeyes, but the style of football we play is nearly unwatchable. Kirk coaches this team like an NFL coach trying to squeak into a wildcard game at 8-8.
By the time our qbs reach their senior season, they are so beaten down by checking into the same stretch play left, that they are ready to sell insurance in Grimes.

Reactions: blhawk and Chuck C
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT