ADVERTISEMENT

Do you college football fans fondly remember the classic 1993 movie The Program?

Nole Lou

HR Heisman
Apr 5, 2002
If you do, I suggest that you do NOT rewatch it. It sucks so bad.

It came out when I was in college, we went to see it in the theater, and I remember it being obviously not a masterpiece, but a good bit of entertainment. Stuck in the long off-season, I figured I would watch it with my son for some college football diversion.

Holy crap, it does NOT hold up. You, like I, probably recall 4 or 5 memorable scenes from that movie. Well, one of those has been cut from all iterations so you won't see that, and the rest of them comprise about 90 total seconds sandwiched around two hours of the most boring, whiny, stupid crap imaginable. It has to be a career worst performance from James Caan, who plays the least-coaching coach in movie history. He doesn't look like he has any idea why he is there. It is interminably dull.

One scene you probably don't remember, as I didn't, was a particularly unplasant and scary attempted rape.

That said, the football/crowd scenes were among the better I've seen in a football movie, they did a decent job capturing that. When they isolate on a player it looks fairly cheesy, but the plays themselves look pretty good.

Queued up Necessary Roughness after that. Much better. The story is silly but makes sense and progresses accordingly. It's definitely not nearly as funny as you remember, it's still got that 80s comedy thing going of there being very few actual jokes, mostly a lot of things with the cadence of jokes without being an actual joke. But it's pleasant enough, good natured, and there are still a good 5-6 jokes in it and one real "F--k yeah!" moment. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to see it if you haven't lately, but I wouldn't feel the need to avoid it.

It came out when I was in college, we went to see it in the theater, and I remember it being obviously not a masterpiece, but a good bit of entertainment. Stuck in the long off-season, I figured I would watch it with my son for some college football diversion.

Holy crap, it does NOT hold up. You, like I, probably recall 4 or 5 memorable scenes from that movie. Well, one of those has been cut from all iterations so you won't see that, and the rest of them comprise about 90 total seconds sandwiched around two hours of the most boring, whiny, stupid crap imaginable. It has to be a career worst performance from James Caan, who plays the least-coaching coach in movie history. He doesn't look like he has any idea why he is there. It is interminably dull.

One scene you probably don't remember, as I didn't, was a particularly unplasant and scary attempted rape.

That said, the football/crowd scenes were among the better I've seen in a football movie, they did a decent job capturing that. When they isolate on a player it looks fairly cheesy, but the plays themselves look pretty good.

Queued up Necessary Roughness after that. Much better. The story is silly but makes sense and progresses accordingly. It's definitely not nearly as funny as you remember, it's still got that 80s comedy thing going of there being very few actual jokes, mostly a lot of things with the cadence of jokes without being an actual joke. But it's pleasant enough, good natured, and there are still a good 5-6 jokes in it and one real "F--k yeah!" moment. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to see it if you haven't lately, but I wouldn't feel the need to avoid it.

Plus the Hawkeyes were in it

Most of those old sports movies suck.

Lots of them do. My son and I have worked through most of the classics (not that I would have put The Program in that category even before rewatch) over the last few years, including revisiting some I hadn't seen in decades, and it's kind of all over the board.

I had never seen Breaking Away, and that movie is fantastic. That was probably the best new discovery of any of them.

The HBO movie 61* is really good.

Slapshot is still really funny.

Major League holds up great, the rare revisit that was just as funny watching it today. I low-key think Major League has a case for the best sports movie ever.

And I have to say, A League of Their Own was way funnier and better than I remembered. I remember at the time feeling not much about it, but there's some solid laughs there.

Lots of them do. My son and I have worked through most of the classics (not that I would have put The Program in that category even before rewatch) over the last few years, including revisiting some I hadn't seen in decades, and it's kind of all over the board.

I had never seen Breaking Away, and that movie is fantastic. That was probably the best new discovery of any of them.

Major League holds up great, the rare revisit that was just as funny watching it today. I low-key think Major League has a case for the best sports movie ever.

And I have to say, A League of Their Own was way funnier and better than I remembered. I remember at the time feeling not much about it, but there's some solid laughs there.
I shall correct myself. Most of the blockbuster sports movies are fine. Rudy, Hoosiers etc, don't hold up.

Craig Sheffer... was good in A River Runs Through It but not a lead actor type.

MV5BMTRhNzU0ODQtNGVjOS00MzE4LTg1ODAtYjllZDgzYzkzMDRkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_.jpg

I shall correct myself. Most of the blockbuster sports movies are fine. Rudy, Hoosiers etc, don't hold up.

Yeah, Hoosiers is really dull and not very good.

Rudy, like Field of Dreams (sorry Iowa), has not made our watch list just because I found them pretty well unbearable at the time and can not psych myself up to watch them again.

When do you plan on viewing Personal Best?

Reactions: Nole Lou
When do you plan on viewing Personal Best?

12:30 am tonight, when everyone else is in bed.

I also revisted one I remember from my youth without my son...Vision Quest. There's a lot of good stuff in that movie for one that's pretty forgotten, it holds up ok. My son is 19, it's not like he's too young for it, but Linda Fiorentino is so freaking sexy in that movie it would make me uncomfortable.

Last edited:
12:30 am tonight, when everyone else is in bed.

I also revisted one I remember from my youth without my son...Vision Quest. There's a lot of good stuff in that movie for one that's pretty forgotten, it holds up ok. My son is 19, it's not like he's too young for it, but I'm Linda Fiorentino is so freaking sexy in that movie it would make me uncomfortable.
blu-ray hope GIF by Warner Archive

I recently went down the wormhole on sports movies. They are all honestly pretty bad with the exception of Like Mike. I haven’t seen Like Mike 2 yet so no spoilers please.

• Haha
Reactions: beanerhawk
Weren't the colors garnet and gold and there was a player with the last name of Ward?

...ya, we know where the inspiration for that movie came from. ;)

Guilty pleasure movie. Good, not great.

Another is Best of the Best. Karate tournament where, apparently anything goes. With Ahmad Rashad. And a bar with 10 people watching at home. So bad it's almost not bad.

I thought it was dumb at the time, so it not holding up well is not unexpected.

Major league is a goddamn national treasure. Watch it every time it’s on.

jamief-de__northdallasforty2.jpg

I learned what a QB Sandwich was....

You know Delma. He don’t like the needles. Fantastic movie.

Also Senna, When We Were Kings, and Hoop Dreams if we’re talking sports movies.

And someone really said Hoosiers, with Barbara Hershey, and Gene mother****ing Hackman and the great line “I’ll make it” doesn’t hold up?

Reactions: JRHawk2003
Oh heck ya, the practice scene with Welcome to the jungle playing was awesome. Alvin knowing all his linebacker reads but yet can't read a book. Talking 💩 to the running backs, damn shame his career ended in Kinnick. Agreed didn't hold up well, it's been a few years since watched it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT