ADVERTISEMENT

Do you enjoy the holidays?

Derekd3408

HR Legend
Gold Member
Feb 10, 2011
With the holiday's rapidly approaching, do you enjoy the season, or are they just something you deal with because you have to? Maybe somewhere in between?

This is the first year where I can honestly say I am not looking forward to the holidays at all. Rifts in family's have gotten to the point where I'd rather just be at home. For the first time ever my wife and I will spend Christmas eve and Christmas day with just our son. I will enjoy watching little 3408 open gifts Christmas morning, though.

I don’t dislike them but I don’t love them either. Selfishly I would rather not make the commute back to two different cities over the course of a few days. It’s just hectic and a lot of moving parts.

I do like seeing my kids get to spend time with their cousins and aunts/uncles but sometimes I wish we could just stay home.

With the holiday's rapidly approaching, do you enjoy the season, or are they just something you deal with because you have to? Maybe somewhere in between?

This is the first year where I can honestly say I am not looking forward to the holidays at all. Rifts in family's have gotten to the point where I'd rather just be at home. For the first time ever my wife and I will spend Christmas eve and Christmas day with just our son. I will enjoy watching little 3408 open gifts Christmas morning, though.
I used to, but it became straining going to everyone's Christmas. So, I did the same thing, just kept it small and enjoyed the small family. Then add in everyone has to get everyone gifts cause stress. So, I stopped getting everyone gifts and only spent on family. I now enjoy nice quiet meals and Holiday cheer with a few.

Thanksgiving is still great; it's a large gathering of my side of the family with great food made by relatives who know how to cook.

Christmas, not so much. It's always been my wife's side; just her brother and her parents. My mother in law passed away the day before Thanksgiving last year and my father in law who had dementia followed a few months later. Last Christmas was just brutal with my brother in law being miserable. My wife, bless her, just didn't learn how to cook (nor did I, to be fair). Plus my sons are older, so the gift openings aren't as fun as when they were little.

We're trying to figure out how to make the experience better this year.

Reactions: el dub
I love the holidays, they used to be stressful because we did try to get to see all the relatives but we quit doing that a while ago as everyone's own family has grown. I'll see my siblings and parents the weekend before Christmas for a day which is always nice. Then Christmas eve is with the kids and grandkids and Christmas day is a nice day to ourselves.

I really do love it the older I get.

I have the joy this holiday season of not having to think about it. I started a new job about a month ago and we're open 365 days. I'm working both Thanksgiving and Christmas, will not have to deal with the ridiculous pace, anxiety and tension that the in-laws always bring to the holidays.

The only thing I detest more than the holiday's are misplaced hyphen's and people who refer to their family member's a's "Little<InsertScreenname> or "Mrs<InsertScreenname>.

Sometimes. Much like anything, you kinda gotta take the good with the bad. My in-laws love to host, but hate to cook. So it's always annoying planning on who's going to cook or what we're going to eat bc they don't care.

Otherwise the company is fun, and it's nice to have family all together for happy occasions. Just 5 years ago there were no kids, and now there will be 5 kids (ranging from 4 months to 4 years), so that will be a lot of fun.

I love this time of year. Coming home to Iowa next Tuesday where I get to spend some good time with my family and see a few friends from high school that still chat with. Always fun to go watch Iowa vs nebraska at the bar in Black Fridays.

Christmas. Always a great time of year. Kids are getting a little older but whatever. I will be taking almost 2 weeks off so it is always a fun time. It helps that I like my family and my in laws. The worst part for me is that it all goes so fast. From now until the new year, it just all flies right by. Wish it would slow down so I can really enjoy this time of year.

The minute it hits September 1st, I'm all in! Football kicks off, temps (should drop, but typically don't) and the holidays are approaching! I live for sitting around in my FSU PJ pants with my Eddie Eggnog mug watching Christmas movies. We will kick off our movie watching this Friday. I'm taking PTO to put up our tree and will have Christmas Vacation playing in the background. In my office I get to play my Christmas vinyl collection too!

Our light guy put up our roof lights yesterday and I'll be putting up everything else later today. So ya, I love the holidays! Now, to the family aspect this Christmas will be the first one in 10 years where it's only me, my wife and son and I'm kinda looking forward to the relaxation and low-key of it all.

Start another thread about January and February. I can't stand those two months!

s-l400.jpg

Not a fan of the darkness in December, but I do love the Thanksgiving and Christmas vibe. Old time Christmas music, seeing the tree, cider and egg nog… all good stuff.

The presents are a PITA though. My wife and I stopped giving gifts to each other years ago and the kids generally like cash the best, so our Christmas mornings are a bit anti-climactic.

My favorite thing is overloading my house with decorations.
Starting Labor Day weekend I put out my fall decor which has Halloween and Thanksgiving stuff collected over the years.
On Nov. 1 it’s edited and just Thanksgiving stuff remains, including my corn shuck Pilgrim figures that are 35+ years old.
The Friday after Thanksgiving they come down and are replaced by Christmas decorations inside and out.
In between I love football season and cooler weather.
Oh wait…are we talking family? 🍁🎃🧑‍🎄🎄
😂😂😂

I find myself somewhere in between.
I don’t have to travel far, and hour each way is the most I will travel. But when you have to go to roughly 5 Christmas’ in the span of 7-10 days it gets annoying. Plus the cost of getting that many gifts is annoying.
I do enjoy the family time though. Wish we could start spreading it out over a few months instead of packing it all in at once.

I don’t really enjoy them with the local in-laws and my family is out of town. Case in point, MIL wants to host thanksgiving but we need to do it early because we’re traveling for the holiday and so is my wife’s brothers family. No biggie, the plan is lunch on Sunday. Until the MIL backs out two weeks before because she feels like she can’t handle everyone and their kids at her house. So we agree to host. Then sister in law mentions she has plans Sunday so we have to move everything to Saturday. We don’t feel like prepping food on a Friday after a long work and school week so we say “we’ll get a bunch of takeout and everyone chip in.” Then SIL drives the entire damn thing making sure everyone brings a potluck item and now we’re stuck cooking a Turkey.

At least they’re all Georgia fans so they’ll be gone by 330.

Reactions: goldmom
Thanksgiving > Christmas, by a lot. Thanksgiving is food, football and just being around family (hopefully before the weather is too crappy).

Christmas is way too materialistic. With divorced parents, scheduling is a pain in the ass. Then the kids end up with too much crap that doesn’t interest them and grandparents can get offended. And my wife spends a fortune from about mid October to Christmas trying to find presents for a bunch of grown ups that don’t need anything anyways. With a young child and two in elementary school, all of those shopping trips around town add up to a ton of time where I feel like a single parent. Take the gifts out of Christmas and I’m a much happier individual.

I don’t really enjoy them with the local in-laws and my family is out of town. Case in point, MIL wants to host thanksgiving but we need to do it early because we’re traveling for the holiday and so is my wife’s brothers family. No biggie, the plan is lunch on Sunday. Until the MIL backs out two weeks before because she feels like she can’t handle everyone and their kids at her house. So we agree to host. Then sister in law mentions she has plans Sunday so we have to move everything to Saturday. We don’t feel like prepping food on a Friday after a long work and school week so we say “we’ll get a bunch of takeout and everyone chip in.” Then SIL drives the entire damn thing making sure everyone brings a potluck item and now we’re stuck cooking a Turkey.

At least they’re all Georgia fans so they’ll be gone by 330.
That sounds like a nightmare.
We’ve hosted a few times and you get what you get. I never bother with a whole turkey and I know some pout about that. Whatever, you’re not going home hungry.

Love them.

Thanksgiving is the best. No gift nightmares, good food, good family, 4 day weekend, football and Euchre.

Used to be “meh” about Christmas but we agreed to no gifts policy for family and extended family years ago (excepts for the kids) and that has been great. Kids usually get Amazon or Apple gift cards, and they are happy. Football, food, Euchre, etc. repeat.

As I get older, I appreciate that the time you spend with family is very limited.

Thanksgiving > Christmas, by a lot. Thanksgiving is food, football and just being around family (hopefully before the weather is too crappy).

Christmas is way too materialistic. With divorced parents, scheduling is a pain in the ass. Then the kids end up with too much crap that doesn’t interest them and grandparents can get offended. And my wife spends a fortune from about mid October to Christmas trying to find presents for a bunch of grown ups that don’t need anything anyways. With a young child and two in elementary school, all of those shopping trips around town add up to a ton of time where I feel like a single parent. Take the gifts out of Christmas and I’m a much happier individual.
I always loved Thanksgiving. Wednesday night we would get together with the wifes cousins from Texas and go to a local watering hole, then Thursday was great food and good times with everyone in Ankeny. We always had a lot of fun.

The Texans are no longer coming back for the holidays now that my wife's Grandparents are gone and my BILs are out of the picture within the last 6 months. Now my MIL is too upset to cook so the 7 of us left are going to a restaurant Thanksgiving day for lunch. Won't even feel like Thanksgiving.

There are so many moving parts, it’s hard to enjoy it to its fullest. I’m the only sibling with kids, and the fact that I’m divorced and don’t have them all the time, it makes scheduling a bit difficult. I feel like an air traffic controller. My wife’s family wants to do Christmas in July instead, and I’m all for it.

Thanksgiving though, hell yeah. Love it. I usually do something a little unorthodox because having the same meal repeatedly isn’t fun, especially for the kids. Pork loins with an apple chutney this year on the menu.

I have always loved the holidays. Of course, I moved 1500 miles from home when I was 21 and have never had to deal with family issues. We have small holidays and only spend time with family and friends who we really like.

Now that the kids have grown the "magic" in the air has died down. But I still enjoy these next couple of months.

Only downside these days are the predictable victims on social media screaming that by god we should all say "Merry Christmas" and not "Happy Holidays" because this is 'Murica!

I've always enjoyed them, mostly because I get to see friends that only come back to town once or twice a year. But now I no longer live in Cedar Rapids, so I most likely won't get that chance to see some of the folks I normally do.

Fortunately w/ the family, we are all kind of are on the same page when it comes to Thanksgiving and Christmas. We all get together, spend a maximum of 3-4 hours together, then go our separate ways for the rest of the day. We all enjoy each others company, but after a certain point you just kind of want to take your leftovers, get home, get into sweats, and ****ing relax....maybe get drunk.

Thanksgiving is still great; it's a large gathering of my side of the family with great food made by relatives who know how to cook.

Christmas, not so much. It's always been my wife's side; just her brother and her parents. My mother in law passed away the day before Thanksgiving last year and my father in law who had dementia followed a few months later. Last Christmas was just brutal with my brother in law being miserable. My wife, bless her, just didn't learn how to cook (nor did I, to be fair). Plus my sons are older, so the gift openings aren't as fun as when they were little.

We're trying to figure out how to make the experience better this year.
So on your wife's side, all you have left is your BIL? I'd try and see if you could just have Christmas with your side and maybe shift that Christmas (with only one other person) to a different day maybe?

That is, of course, if the wife is okay with that lol.

When our kids were small I absolutely did, as they've gotten older it loses it's excitement more and more for me

I still enjoy getting together with family and revisiting the story of JC's birth., but the shopping and stress I could live without.

One of the highlights of our Christmas celebration is the
Christmas Eve Candlelight Service at our church. The singing
of Christmas carols like Silent Night, O Little Town of Bethlehem,
Joy to the World, O Holy Night, etc by the congregation is
a wonderful experience. It helps you focus on the reason for
the season.

I haven't seen or spoken to the side of the family we used to spend Thanksgiving with for probably 4 or 5 years now, so whatever, more ham for me.

We're in a lull for kids in the family right now, so Christmas is meh.

Love Thanksgiving. Just the three of us. Focus is on food and football. Son usually plays in a tennis tournament, as well. Love to see him hit against competition other than me (I get dismantled by him on a regular basis now). My favorite week of the year, by far.

Not overly keen on the Christmas Holidays......too many work/family/friend functions and/or commitments.

My parents divorced when I was young, so I never got to spend a Christmas with my mom's side of the family until Freshman year of college. Her family was fun. My dad wasn't a ton of fun, and I had old grandparents on his side that I'd have to spend three nights with. Boring, boring, boring. Also, there's nothing like being nine years old and having to wear a coat and tie to a 3-hour Christmas dinner at the club. Followed by sitting in the back of the car, being scared to death by my grandpa's decision to drink that ninth martini right before getting behind the wheel. One time we killed two bunny rabbits (a mile apart) on the way back. Good times!!!! I feel like Christmas was taken from my childhood.

Christmas, for a brief period of time, was fun when my son was young, but the last 3 or 4 years have been lackluster on the excitement-front. Plus, my wife's birthday is around the same time......meaning one more giant party that we have to prepare for.

Love Thanksgiving. Just the three of us. Focus is on food and football. Son usually plays in a tennis tournament, as well. Love to see him hit against competition other than me (I get dismantled by him on a regular basis now). My favorite week of the year, by far.

Not overly keen on the Christmas Holidays......too many work/family/friend functions and/or commitments.

My parents divorced when I was young, so I never got to spend a Christmas with my mom's side of the family until Freshman year of college. Her family was fun. My dad wasn't a ton of fun, and I had old grandparents on his side that I'd have to spend three nights with. Boring, boring, boring. Also, there's nothing like being nine years old and having to wear a coat and tie to a 3-hour Christmas dinner at the club. Followed by sitting in the back of the car, being scared to death by my grandpa's decision to drink that ninth martini right before getting behind the wheel. One time we killed two bunny rabbits (a mile apart) on the way back. Good times!!!! I feel like Christmas was taken from my childhood.

Christmas, for a brief period of time, was fun when my son was young, but the last 3 or 4 years have been lackluster on the excitement-front. Plus, my wife's birthday is around the same time......meaning one more giant party that we have to prepare for.
You throw a giant party for your wife's birthday every year?

Reactions: luvmyhawks
I enjoyed it more when everyone had young families. Now that many of the families are grown up, it's a lot more stressful to figure out the logistics of getting people together.
When do families transition to just hosting their own immediate family? You have to wait for your parents to pass away? Do I still need to spend 2-3 straight days with my in-laws when I'm in my 60's, or do I get to stop that at some point?

I work in retail.

I spend every holiday setting up for the next one.
When I worked in a showroom at the Dallas Apparel Mart the Summer Market was to showcase Christmas Holiday, so you’d walk in from 100 degrees to a Winter Wonderland inside. I did a lot of gift buying on Sample Sale Days.

Having to see my bitch sister-in-law for our annual sighting of each other is really the only down side of the holidays IMO. The rest of the holiday season is a big yes for me.

Love 'em.
Easier because my folks live nearby and people come here to visit. We haven't flown to Ohio to see my inlaws for Christmas in a long time. Wife is there now getting her visits in.
Thanksgiving is relaxed and Christmas means skiing with my siblings.
Good times.

Reactions: BrianNole777
When I worked in a showroom at the Dallas Apparel Mart the Summer Market was to showcase Christmas Holiday, so you’d walk in from 100 degrees to a Winter Wonderland inside. I did a lot of gift buying on Sample Sale Days.

I could only imagine how far out a wholesale market would have to be set. The major buyers are already starting next years Christmas plans.

I always laugh when I see or hear people complaining about stores being set for Christmas so far in advance...most people that are planning on decorating and need new lights and blow ups are already buying them. Not to mention anything left the day after the holiday is just inventory that you can no longer move. Not many people looking for a spider man costume the day after Halloween.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
Im indifferent about the holidays nowadays as I make time to see the people I want to spend time with throughout the year.

Really hated christmas when i was in a retail or online order fullfillment position. it was just a day off with obligations in a time where i was working a lot of OT with few days off.

Love it for my bus kids, but considering the holidays for my family growing up were brutally dysfunctional at best...us kids/families' holidays are also somewhat dysfunctional.

We just aren't very good at this stuff...

• Sad
Reactions: BrianNole777

Smoke 'em while you got 'em, carpe diem, etc. Little kids become big kids, big kids become adults, parents get old, etc. What I once viewed as unnecessary and annoying get togethers traveling hither and yon, I now wish I could go back in time and relive them all. I try enjoy each holiday season the the max.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT