ADVERTISEMENT

Do you know anyone under the age of 60 who's died from COVID?

Do ou personally know anyone under the age of 60 who has died from COVID?

• Yes

Votes: 73 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 223 75.3%

• Total voters
I would assume vehicle deaths are down. Suicides I doubt we have data on at this point. I would, however, be very surprised if suicides aren’t up for the next couple of decades. I would expect crime and drug overdoses to be up for several years.

It will be a long, long time before we have a firm handle on the full ramifications.
Suicides have been going up for the past few years coming into 2020.

It’s going to take a long time to figure out the true mortality rate - we have very little idea how many people have actually been infected. The case mortality rate was, what, nearly 10% in April; while it’s about 1.5% today. I’m sure it’s going to be higher than .01%; I was just demonstrating that not every measure to cut down on Covid deaths is a slam dunk decision.

I would rather operate on the side of caution. Deaths and long term health problems can't be undone.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
I would assume vehicle deaths are down. Suicides I doubt we have data on at this point. I would, however, be very surprised if suicides aren’t up for the next couple of decades. I would expect crime and drug overdoses to be up for several years.

It will be a long, long time before we have a firm handle on the full ramifications.

I think the major concerns to me are:

1) The number of other diseases, especially cancer, going undiagnosed over several month, as well as people who have dying of things for not seeking medical attention

2) The number of kids at risk students who will simply never graduate being out of formal school for the better part of 12-18 months. Not graduating high school results in negative outcomes in pretty much every category including life expectancy. I'm thinking primarily of those that are 14-17 now. The privileged among us (which is most on this board), our kids will get through with their own laptop, and their own bedrooms and offices, and parents looking over their shoulder. But this is going to devastate communities that and further inequality in a way that could reverberate for a generation.

Both of these things can be mitigated by a modified opening policy which most of us are in now. I think most people are seeing their doctors and getting treatment, etc. You don't have to be 100% open like nothing is happening to reduce the impact of these consequences. But I think you have to trade some expansion of the virus in exchange for better outcomes in these areas.

But to me, the idea of a 100% lockdown going on for 8-12 months is a total non-starter because of these reasons.

Reactions: artradley
I would rather operate on the side of caution. Deaths and long term health problems can't be undone.

I don’t see abandoning education and sending tens of millions of people into unemployment as caution. Wearing masks is caution. Common sense distancing is caution. Giving up stadium sports is caution.

Reactions: Fluffles
Suicide rates have gone up every year for the last previous 2 decades though.
The rate of increase will tell the tale. Sadly there won’t be organized data for that until 2022. Some local officials are reporting an increase but that’s really all you’re going to get for the next year and a half at least. One county in rural Missouri reported that their highest total of suicides on record was 5 and they are already at 14 so far this year. All you will find is anecdotal for quite some time.

People refuse to wear masks or distance. A certain group is particularly proud of that.

This is true. The overwhelming response to this has been irrational at every level. We could still convince most idiots to wear masks but nobody, and I mean no friggin body, is approaching this strategically.

I don’t see abandoning education and sending tens of millions of people into unemployment as caution. Wearing masks is caution. Common sense distancing is caution. Giving up stadium sports is caution.
I've not heard anyone call for abandoning education. That's simply a false narrative.

I think the major concerns to me are:

1) The number of other diseases, especially cancer, going undiagnosed over several month, as well as people who have dying of things for not seeking medical attention

2) The number of kids at risk students who will simply never graduate being out of formal school for the better part of 12-18 months. Not graduating high school results in negative outcomes in pretty much every category including life expectancy. I'm thinking primarily of those that are 14-17 now. The privileged among us (which is most on this board), our kids will get through with their own laptop, and their own bedrooms and offices, and parents looking over their shoulder. But this is going to devastate communities that and further inequality in a way that could reverberate for a generation.

Both of these things can be mitigated by a modified opening policy which most of us are in now. I think most people are seeing their doctors and getting treatment, etc. You don't have to be 100% open like nothing is happening to reduce the impact of these consequences. But I think you have to trade some expansion of the virus in exchange for better outcomes in these areas.

But to me, the idea of a 100% lockdown going on for 8-12 months is a total non-starter because of these reasons.

I agree with Hoosier to some extent on playing it safe, but I also agree with your post. Definitely a balance here.

I've not heard anyone call for abandoning education. That's simply a false narrative.

It’s already been basically abandoned for the most at-risk students; the poor, special needs, the abused. The lack of in-person school is damaging, and over the years will kill, thousands of them.

The unnatural restrictions and hysteria will be killing people for years to come. This is simply true, no matter how much we don’t want to acknowledge it.

It’s already been basically abandoned for the most at-risk students; the poor, special needs, the abused. The lack of in-person school is damaging, and over the years will kill, thousands of them.

The unnatural restrictions and hysteria will be killing people for years to come. This is simply true, no matter how much we don’t want to acknowledge it.
No. Access to the tools to make online education work is an issue that needs to be resolved. Ignoring that is abandoning those children, not education. You're again overstating the impact of hybrid or online learning. We have thousands and thousands of examples where home schooled children are able to thrive. We know it can be done - the biggest obstacle is people who are so tied to the status quo they won't even consider alternatives.

Educating the underprivileged has been a problem for decades. Going online is not the threat to them. Ambivalence from those with power and means is.

No. Access to the tools to make online education work is an issue that needs to be resolved. Ignoring that is abandoning those children, not education. You're again overstating the impact of hybrid or online learning. We have thousands and thousands of examples where home schooled children are able to thrive. We know it can be done - the biggest obstacle is people who are so tied to the status quo they won't even consider alternatives.

Educating the underprivileged has been a problem for decades. Going online is not the threat to them. Ambivalence from those with power and means is.

No, going online is a huge threat to them. That’s why the AAP and the National Academy of Science, Engineering, and Medicine both came out saying schools should try to have in person school.

You are downplaying this, to the detriment of children.

Wow. I'll bet the teachers' union would love you:D

No, going online is a huge threat to them. That’s why the AAP and the National Academy of Science, Engineering, and Medicine both came out saying schools should try to have in person school.

You are downplaying this, to the detriment of children.
No. Just, no. Trying to have in person schools does not mean that online school equates to abandonment. That's nonsense.

Wow. I'll bet the teachers' union would love you:D
Why wouldn't they? Many are advocating for online school as we speak due to the risks right now.

Pretty much everyone would rather have in person school - that's a given. The fact is, that isn't always possible and the notion that online school is equivalent to abandoning education is stupid.

Almost everyone who died from this would have died within one year. I average age of death in USA is 78 and that is the average age of those dying with covid—- not from Covid. Total deaths this year are almost the same as they were last year overall
Average age of death in the US is irrelevant. What’s relevant is the life expectancy of a person given they have reached the age of 78. That is significantly higher than 1.

I know two who were in their 50s - a middle school teacher who taught both of my sons, and a guy whose son played various youth sports with my older son. Know another lady who was early 60s (she'd either just turned 62 or was just about to do so, can't recall which). She'd worked in the banking industry, mostly at a few different local banks (was an assistant for a good friend of mine & moved with him as he changed banks a few times).

Reactions: srams21
My son's friend in Denver died. He was 30. Went to AZ, and got infected there. Came home, got sick, went to hospital and never came out. Died after 2 weeks.
Was he fat? Sorry to be insensitive but I’m genuinely curious as obesity is a massive marker.

It blows my mind that our country isn’t waking up to our obesity issue during this. If this doesn’t wake us up, nothing will.

Reactions: artradley
Yes. My neurosurgeon who did my cervical fusion last year and was going to work on my lumbar next year. He was in his mid fifties.

Personally? I'm not aware of any personal acquaintances that have died, but some that have become seriously ill (ICU). That said, I'm not aware of anyone that has died since March for any reason.

I'd love to see your data that says the numbers of suicides, homicides, and car crashes have increased since the lockdowns began.

LOL exactly. Especially since my insurance company sent a $300 rebate check out do to the huge number of decreased accidents.

Reactions: BioHawk
Being that it looks like college football will not take place this fall, I'm curious - do you personally know anyone under the age of 60 who has died from COVID? I'm talkin' someone who knows you by name.

Not trying to start an argument, just curious as to what this number looks like.
What’s crazy to me is that I have more friends fighting breast cancer (4) than I know who had Covid.

Being that it looks like college football will not take place this fall, I'm curious - do you personally know anyone under the age of 60 who has died from COVID? I'm talkin' someone who knows you by name.

Not trying to start an argument, just curious as to what this number looks like.
I know 5 people who've had it ranging in age from 30's to 50's and none of them had to be hospitalized.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT