ADVERTISEMENT

Dochterman says that once a couple QBs hit the Portal Iowa will be all over them (Brendan Sullivan visiting May 7)

The Booty's, mom, dad and sis....

General-Bootys-Parents-And-Sister-Avery-e1693290859291.jpg
Here we go again with Vandenberg's mom is hot.

So Petras is at the same status as he had at Iowa. Best practice QB on the team. Not sure how this shows anything positive or negative in regards to Iowa
Joe Labas threw three touchdowns in his spring game. Just maybe guys blossom when they get in a program that values offense and coaches up quarterbacks and puts them in a position to succeed.

status of being a osu qb who will never see the field is worthless. day has essentially outwitted a bunch of jocks who could be playing elsewhere on national tv week after week.
Not any different than Bama, Mich., Texas, and the rest of the blue chip programs have done for decades.

Not any different than Bama, Mich., Texas, and the rest of the blue chip programs have done for decades.
It is actually a completely different world today. The portal now allows players to transfer without sitting out a full year and allows for the market to determine their true worth. If they're a good player behind better players the opportunities to play and make money are infinitely better than what they were a few years ago.

Reactions: kceasthawk
status of being a osu qb who will never see the field is worthless. day has essentially outwitted a bunch of jocks who could be playing elsewhere on national tv week after week.
I listen to way too many Hawkeye podcasts, so I do not remember from which one I heard this, but a national recruiting guy said that the OSU NIL $ to their QBs was more than Iowa's total available NIL funds. If true, that is a huge motivator to stay. Also, this guy said he followed OSU's spring practice pretty closely and none of the QBs has emerged as clear starter.

Reactions: Torg
So, what happens if we're still over 85 scollys? Doesn't the B1G require honoring one for the full term?

So, what happens if we're still over 85 scollys? Doesn't the B1G require honoring one for the full term?
It's possible to move a guy off the roster but with an athletic department scholarship so they can finish their degrees. The Hawks have done that a few times with guys who were injured or buried on the depth chart. IIRC, Cy Phillips was in the latter group when he still had a year of eligibility.

Reactions: BonzoFury
I listen to way too many Hawkeye podcasts, so I do not remember from which one I heard this, but a national recruiting guy said that the OSU NIL $ to their QBs was more than Iowa's total available NIL funds. If true, that is a huge motivator to stay. Also, this guy said he followed OSU's spring practice pretty closely and none of the QBs has emerged as clear starter.
True from what I've read but it sounds like the two frontrunners - right now - are Devin Brown and that QB that transferred into OSU from Kansas State. But if you read the OSU sites, the one to keep an eye on is that true freshman Sayin who is impressing a few OSU people and could be the starter if not this year, definitely next

Sullivan was far from great, but he does have a fair amount of BIG experience. That's worth something.
But we know from last year that he is terrible at the QB sneak which the main QB running play in the BrianF offense. Oh wait he is gone. I thought Sullivan looked pretty good against us last year in the first half but overall Iowa's defense just can break down a qb sometimes. Phil disguises his defenses so well that qbs sometimes are not sure what they will get at the snap, base, blitz, zone blitz, man zone or some hybrid coverage.

Not all experience is equal. Deacon's experience was with BF and Budmayr. I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm guessing that Sullivan's tutelage was better. So the comparison to Deacon is meaningless.
So is Big 10 experience if the numbers aren't great. Petras had more experience than both of them.

They would rather have an offensive line that wasn't a sieve. IMHO
No kidding. What QB chooses a program because they have a good D?!

Player: Coach, why should I play QB for your team?
Coach: Have you seen how good our defense is?
Player: What about the offense?
Coach: Our D is really good, they'll have your back when the offense sucks.
Player: I'm in! Just what I was looking for.

Last edited:
It's obvious we're going to need to

No kidding. What QB chooses a program because they have a good D?!

Player: Coach, why should I play QB for your team?
Coach: Have you seen how good our defense is?
Player: What about the offense?
Coach: Our D is really good, they'll have your back when the offense suck
Player: I'm in! Just what I was looking for.
One who wants to play in and possibly win important games. Did you notice how many people were drafted off the teams who made the final 4 in the playoffs??

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkeyemark18
Sullivan was far from great, but he does have a fair amount of BIG experience. That's worth something.
Plus he did pretty well against our defense which was top 10. So it wasn't like his numbers got padded playing crappy competition only or in mop up duty when the other team has 2nd and 3rds in on defense.

Last edited:
So is Big 10 experience if the numbers aren't great. Petras had more experience than both of them.
Sullivan completed 69% of his passes in his 2 years at NW, so I will stand by saying that is not meaningless experience. Particularly when you frame it as looking for a backup, not a starter. When is the last time an Iowa starting QB has had that high of a percentage? Would you be OK with someone that would probably be labeled as a "game manager", but could complete 7 out of 10 of those short passes in Lester's offense, compared to what we have dealt with over the last few years?

Sullivan completed 69% of his passes in his 2 years at NW, so I will stand by saying that is not meaningless experience. Particularly when you frame it as looking for a backup, not a starter. When is the last time an Iowa starting QB has had that high of a percentage? Would you be OK with someone that would probably be labeled as a "game manager", but could complete 7 out of 10 of those short passes in Lester's offense, compared to what we have dealt with over the last few years?
Sullivan is mobile too , no Mike Vick but if a play breaks down He can move the chains and He has faced B1G defenses and put up a 136.6 QBR , He comes and I cannot see Him not being given a fair shot at QB1 , if Cade beats Him out ok, that is a darn good #2

Plus he did pretty well against our defense which was top 10. So it wasn't like his numbers got padded playing crappy competition only or in mop up duty when the other team has 2nd and 3rds in on defense.
He threw for 81 yards against us, didn't really light it up. But I would be happy to have him join the Hawkeyes .

Sullivan is mobile too , no Mike Vick but if a play breaks down He can move the chains and He has faced B1G defenses and put up a 136.6 QBR , He comes and I cannot see Him not being given a fair shot at QB1 , if Cade beats Him out ok, that is a darn good #2
I felt in the game against us, he ran too much. Maybe it was by design. But they had a big RB who was starting to get momentum going and that goal line stand didnt NW try to sneak it multiple times ? Iowa did great to hold them but seemed like poor play calling with a 230lbs RB behind you

I felt in the game against us, he ran too much. Maybe it was by design. But they had a big RB who was starting to get momentum going and that goal line stand didnt NW try to sneak it multiple times ? Iowa did great to hold them but seemed like poor play calling with a 230lbs RB behind you
That, and you couldn’t have gotten any footing if you had tank tracks for feet.

It was Ferentz level stubbornness on NW’s part to keep sneaking it.

Reactions: Heathen Raider
That, and you couldn’t have gotten any footing if you had tank tracks for feet.

It was Ferentz level stubbornness on NW’s part to keep sneaking it.
The same level of stubbornness that's kept Iowa consistently successful for over two decades? They should try more of that

Reactions: RLMHAWK
There has never been an Iowa QB under Ferentz to my knowledge that has had a career percentage over 62% and only a couple that have hit 60. I would absolutely be happy with that as a backup or a starter for that matter. I don't know how much of that had to do with the offense that Northwestern ran, but it would have to be light years better than what we have seen at Iowa over the past 4 years or so. Would a QB with any decent options come to Iowa unless he's being told that there will be an open competition for the starting spot? I would think not.

Reactions: kceasthawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT