ADVERTISEMENT

Does Fran start Josh and Gabe Saturday?

StormHawk42

HB Legend
Nov 3, 2009
(Denning too I guess)

I feel like it would be the right thing to do, at least with the two listed. Especially with Gabe's family coming over for the first time to see him play.

Fran says he doesn't listen to the NCAA Tourney talk, but he has to know we're a lock by now, so what's the harm in giving the seniors the first 3-4 minutes.

Originally posted by StormHawk42:
(Denning too I guess)

I feel like it would be the right thing to do, at least with the two listed. Especially with Gabe's family coming over for the first time to see him play.

Fran says he doesn't listen to the NCAA Tourney talk, but he has to know we're a lock by now, so what's the harm in giving the seniors the first 3-4 minutes.
I could see him starting Gabe, and if that happens I bet it will be bc Woody suggests him to do so as a tip of the hat to his teammate. However, still too much at stake to start all of the SRs, Gabe would be the only one I could see this happening for as this game isn't a given.

Originally posted by unIowa:
(Denning too I guess)

I could see him starting Gabe, and if that happens I bet it will be bc Woody suggests him to do so as a tip of the hat to his teammate. However, still too much at stake to start all of the SRs, Gabe would be the only one I could see this happening for as this game isn't a given.
agreed and I think it would be the right thing for woody to do.

Doubt it. Better scenario would be build a large lead, make sure they are all in with about 1:30 to go, then take them out one by one at stoppages like the women did against the Rodents.

with a 3 seed on the line, Fran will do what's best for the team to win, personally I could see JO and GO starting but not the walkon's remember Ukah is a SR as well. possible starting lineup

PG MG 6'2
SG JO 6'5
SF JU 6'9
PF AW 6'9
C GO 6'10

no loss of height with that group, JO is still better than PJ at ball security, although I think after rewatching the game tape he will be spending a lot of time working on that aspect of his game.

I suppose I raise this question because I'm pretty sure McCabe didn't start senior day last year, but it was also different circumstances with how badly the team was playing

You're right... If Gabe starts we should give credit to Woodbury for being a stand up guy. Has nothing to do with the Gabe's quality of play.

Its kind of like quoting the combined stats for the 5 position

To me, it's more important that the seniors are taken out of the game near the end so they can be recognized individually with standing ovations. This is going to require the Hawks to put a solid beat down on the Cats so Fran can dictate when he wants to bring them out.
This team is playing so well right now that I almost hate to see any change to the current rotation to start the game. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

He should definitely start Gabe. Doesnt really matter that it's senior day. Regardless, he and Woody will split time

Originally posted by thirdandpunting:

You're right... If Gabe starts we should give credit to Woodbury for being a stand up guy. Has nothing to do with the Gabe's quality of play.

That's not the point. I think Gabe is a good guy and he would never rock the boat and would probably feel guilty if Fran changed the starting lineup because he was a senior. I do however think that Gabe would fine starting if he knew woody wanted him to. I believe Gabe is a better player than Woody but I did believe him when he said he would rather come off the bench.
So, yeah, I think woody would have to initiate it.

No reason to start seniors who aren't starters. I am not sure what Fran has done in the past with guys who normally were not starters, but I think it is a bad precedent to set. The seniors will get their deserved recognition before the game. I would always be OK with GO starting but I don't think it is necessary. Ideally Iowa has a big lead at the end and they get a chance for the seniors to come out together with a standing ovation and a minute or two left.

This post was edited on 3/4 10:04 AM by Jumpshot00

I hate to change much, but I would at least start Gabe with his family flying in for the game. I would be more worried about how this would affect Gabe's play than Woody, who would probably welcome the idea. I would like to see Iowa take it at NW's center early and often in the game, and starting Gabe would help that strategy. I don't think NW will be able to defend Iowa, is we can give him some early fouls.

Start Gabe. He's never started and be great on Sr day with his family there to watch. But also he played so much better against NW than woody and think he does better against zone D which they will be playing all day against Iowa. JO bring off bench good to see him playing better and with more confidence at the end of the season.

Originally posted by iahawkeyes17:
Start Gabe. He's never started and be great on Sr day with his family there to watch. But also he played so much better against NW than woody and think he does better against zone D which they will be playing all day against Iowa. JO bring off bench good to see him playing better and with more confidence at the end of the season.
No, no change. My reasons are watching a game once where the coach did that and my team never got in sync and lost to someone they were supposed to beat. Yes Gabe is good enough to start, but let's not change now. Plus people have been saying Gabe should slow down, imagine how amped up he would be starting? BTW, have you heard that his family is coming from London?

Just hope the the other seniors keep their cool on Senior night.

Start them. For those saying don't rock the boat, Gabe/Woody play about equal minutes every game and Josh/Jok is somewhat even also. It's not like we're talking guys who hardly play. If you really think it will change the team chemistry or momentum, please explain how.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

NO!

Fran has not been a guy to start guys just because it's senior day.

This team is professional in how they go about their business and what their roles are. They are not going to change the lineup just because it is senior day.

They still have unfinished business to take care of on Saturday.

Originally posted by 2432Hawk:
NO!

This team is professional in how they go about their business and what their roles are. They are not going to change the lineup just because it is senior day.

Amen. NW is going to get an epic beat down due to how this team is taking care of business.

(Denning too I guess)

MG
JO
AW
GO
Woody

Whatever Fran decides is fine by me. He and the team are kind of pretty tight right now.
wink.r191677.gif

Besides, start Gabe, not Josh? Start Gabe and Josh, not Kyle? How about a ceremony to honor them before the game?

I read something either here or elsewhere a few weeks ago that Gabe doesn't want to start. He likes seeing how the game is going and coming off the bench.

Originally posted by 2007hawkeye:
Start them. For those saying don't rock the boat, Gabe/Woody play about equal minutes every game and Josh/Jok is somewhat even also. It's not like we're talking guys who hardly play. If you really think it will change the team chemistry or momentum, please explain how.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Because some guys are more comfortable coming off the bench. As someone else just said, Gabe says he prefers not to start.

Originally posted by 2432Hawk:
NO!

I agree.

Agree that these guys are mature. Olaseni and Oglesby have played the exact same roles their entire careers-go out the same way.

Olaseni is one of the most important non-starters to ever play at Iowa. On par with Doug Thomas and Doug Moe.

I don't see this happening. The team is playing well so there is no need to mess with the lineup. Gabe and Ogs will get their minutes and hopefully the Hawks can build a lead so the others can get some time at the end.
smile.r191677.gif

I don't think he should change up the lineup. The most important thing is getting the win and I don't think Fran would mess with anything that's been working.

Fran needs to follow Charles Oakley principle. "If it ain't broke don't break it."

Originally posted by thirdandpunting:

Are you 5'3" and constantly angry.

Originally posted by CadeHawk:
Fran needs to follow Charles Oakley principle. "If it ain't broke don't break it."
Things will be just fine starting the same group that's been starting. Don't break it Fran.

So many of "you people" have been telling us that Gabe wants to come off the bench. Why do you want to see him punished in his last home game?

Good lord, this is college basketball. You start your best players, regardless of senior day. Team sport.

Originally posted by hawkster03:
Good lord, this is college basketball. You start your best players, regardless of senior day. Team sport.
True, but it's just a game

Originally posted by The Sleeping Dog:
Agree that these guys are mature. Olaseni and Oglesby have played the exact same roles their entire careers-go out the same way.

Olaseni is one of the most important non-starters to ever play at Iowa. On par with Doug Thomas and Doug Moe.
I remember Jeff Moe, but I don't remember Doug. When did Doug play?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT