ADVERTISEMENT

Does Wieskamp start?

Zildjian6868

HR All-State
Jun 8, 2016
Does he take over a starting role as the season goes on? Is it a stupid question considering his hype coming out of high school? Considering his national ranking, did Fran promise him a starting job out of the gate to solidify the deal?
I think this kid was a Hawkeye all along, so that would cancel out the later. I think a big part will be were he projects in the line up. If he can play the 3, I think he has a chance as the year goes on. However, if he checks in at the 2, it will be more difficult. I see Joe as more of a shooting guard and I really cannot see him taking over Moss' starting job.
My prediction, barring injury, I think Joe gets some really good minutes off the bench all year (barring injury).

Reactions: perryhawk
I think that he does replace Moss in the starting lineup. Just my opinion. I think he adjusts to the college game very quickly.

Does he take over a starting role as the season goes on? Is it a stupid question considering his hype coming out of high school? Considering his national ranking, did Fran promise him a starting job out of the gate to solidify the deal?
I think this kid was a Hawkeye all along, so that would cancel out the later. I think a big part will be were he projects in the line up. If he can play the 3, I think he has a chance as the year goes on. However, if he checks in at the 2, it will be more difficult. I see Joe as more of a shooting guard and I really cannot see him taking over Moss' starting job.
My prediction, barring injury, I think Joe gets some really good minutes off the bench all year (barring injury).

I suspect Joe will start sooner rather than later.

JBo
Moss
Joe
Cook
Garza

I think the wildcard is Dailey...he has the ability to defend and rebound which this team desperately needs, however I suspect the starting lineup will initially consist of the five I've mentioned with Dailey, Baer, McCaffery, Nunge and Kriener as the primary backups. Moss has a lot of competition in Joe and Maishe, so he better bring consistent effort on defense and transition while cutting down on turnovers if he wants to maintain and/or increase his minutes. Perhaps Pemsl and Kriener alternate as the primary backup to Garza, but going more than 10 deep on a consistent basis just doesn't make sense if this team wants to significantly improve next year. You have to ride your horses, as a result JBo should be getting 30 minutes regularly and I would expect the same from Cook and Garza. With the amount of time outs teams are afforded along with a 5 minute break each half, that seems like a reasonable expectation for our three best players. The only way we should play 12 deep is if we go 40 minutes of full court press and guys are gassed after 5 minutes of action, but we don't have the quickness to employ that style all game.

Reactions: Zildjian6868
Hope JoeW is good enough to start. I'd prefer not to see 3 bigs out there at one time. Even Baer is a tad slow guarding the perimeter.

Reactions: jasonrann
I hope he is good enough to start at 3 and average about 20 min. Ideally, 2 and 3 will be mostly a combination of Moss, Joe, and Dailey, with some Baer at 3 and JBo at 2 for certain match ups. We definitely do not want any of the other bigs getting minutes at 3.

I suspect Joe will start sooner rather than later.

JBo
Moss
Joe
Cook
Garza

I think the wildcard is Dailey...he has the ability to defend and rebound which this team desperately needs, however I suspect the starting lineup will initially consist of the five I've mentioned with Dailey, Baer, McCaffery, Nunge and Kriener as the primary backups. Moss has a lot of competition in Joe and Maishe, so he better bring consistent effort on defense and transition while cutting down on turnovers if he wants to maintain and/or increase his minutes. Perhaps Pemsl and Kriener alternate as the primary backup to Garza, but going more than 10 deep on a consistent basis just doesn't make sense if this team wants to significantly improve next year. You have to ride your horses, as a result JBo should be getting 30 minutes regularly and I would expect the same from Cook and Garza. With the amount of time outs teams are afforded along with a 5 minute break each half, that seems like a reasonable expectation for our three best players. The only way we should play 12 deep is if we go 40 minutes of full court press and guys are gassed after 5 minutes of action, but we don't have the quickness to employ that style all game.

I agree. The defense is better with Kriener. Pemsl and Baer have proven that they will not stay on the bench. McCaffery is the only true point to back up Bohannon. I think you could also add Nunge to the wildcard debate. It will be interesting to see how the 7 off the bench shape out.

I’m not sure how this is even a question. We have a freaking top 50’ish player coming into a 4 conference win basketball team and he is not going to be starting? That’s a yo! He might struggle a little early but has to be on the floor immediately.

What shocks me is how Moss always gets the nod from our fan base. There could not be a more inconsistent, limited player that is somehow grandfathered into the 2 guard because we thought / hoped he was going to be really good. His play was a major drop off from Peter Jok’s the year before. Give me Dailey, Joe and JBO as the 3 starting guards along with Cook & Garza. That’s your best 5.

I hope not, too much pressure on the kid. Let Dailey start at the 3 with JBO, Moss, Cook and Garza.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...n-bohannon-luka-garza-joe-wieskamp/763988002/

Just reading between the lines a bit in these quotes, he mentions Connor as a PG and never mentions Jordan there. He also says Fredrick has a chance to back up JBo and that would be at SG. My guess is Fran is thinking:

Connor
JBo
Moss/Weiskamp
Cook
Nunge

I wouldn't read anything that dramatic into the story. The story refers to Connor as the backup PG. "He [McCaffery] enters the season as the primary option at backup point guard."

Reactions: Hawki45
https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...n-bohannon-luka-garza-joe-wieskamp/763988002/

Just reading between the lines a bit in these quotes, he mentions Connor as a PG and never mentions Jordan there. He also says Fredrick has a chance to back up JBo and that would be at SG. My guess is Fran is thinking:

Connor
JBo
Moss/Weiskamp
Cook
Nunge

The article says it's premature to view Frederick as a SG only. He'll be in the mix to back up JBo (at the point). This was a nothing burger. Reread the article.

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
Hope JoeW is good enough to start. I'd prefer not to see 3 bigs out there at one time. Even Baer is a tad slow guarding the perimeter.

That should never happen again although I doubt Fran can resist the temptation to try it again.

Imo Baer should be included as a "big", he cannot defend the 3 spot. He does way better at the 4.

Reactions: dawgs_04
Pretty sure the lineup this year is:
Garza Cook Wieskamp Moss JB

Baer 6th man, MD backs Moss, CM backs JB. CJ likely RSs.

The question for me is who will be the 5th 4-5. I think that will prove to be Pemsl.

I’m not sure how this is even a question. We have a freaking top 50’ish player coming into a 4 conference win basketball team and he is not going to be starting? That’s a yo! He might struggle a little early but has to be on the floor immediately.

What shocks me is how Moss always gets the nod from our fan base. There could not be a more inconsistent, limited player that is somehow grandfathered into the 2 guard because we thought / hoped he was going to be really good. His play was a major drop off from Peter Jok’s the year before. Give me Dailey, Joe and JBO as the 3 starting guards along with Cook & Garza. That’s your best 5.
I know it seems like a no brainer, but it is also important to remember that this team didn't have any trouble putting points on the board last year. There problem was on the defensive side. If Joe comes in and the team is suddenly scoring 90 points a game it doesn't matter if they are giving up 100.

I know it seems like a no brainer, but it is also important to remember that this team didn't have any trouble putting points on the board last year. There problem was on the defensive side. If Joe comes in and the team is suddenly scoring 90 points a game it doesn't matter if they are giving up 100.

Joe likely represents the highest rated recruit Fran has gotten and if he can’t play from day 1 that’s disappointing and very surprising. He could have gone to a number of other really good programs and has played against very good competition on the AAU circuit. He will have things to learn and adjustments to make at this level but he’s got to be out there early and often to do that. We don’t need him to be the number one option day 1 either but a better option than what we’ve been sending out there.

This program won 4 conference games. There is no way he’s not good enough to do this. Is this our selling pitch to other high level recruits? Well son I know you are a top 50 player but maybe down the road you can get significant minutes and start for a 12 win, 4 conference wins program. It’s no wonder we have huge issues.

Reactions: Zildjian6868
I think Joe gets some really good minutes off the bench all year (barring injury).
tenor.gif

Last year our weakest positions were the 2 and 3, and we have one of the all time best Iowa HS players coming in a 2/3. He'll be a starter Game 1.

Bohannon, Moss, Joe, Cook and Garza should be our starters from Day 1.

Pemsl has slimmed down a lot and we probably won’t see him at the 5 anymore. I really hope Fran isn’t thinking of giving him time at the 3, but that is probably in the cards. Kreiner and Cook will back up Luka.

There is one other option. Fran has said his goal is to get the best 5 on the floor. This could include a 3 guard line up, with Cook and Garza on the block.
Based on Fran's experimentation last season with the lineup adjustments, JW IMO does have a good shot at starting. From what I've heard, the players in practice are quite competitive with each other.

My general rule is to not expect nearly as much as advertised from incoming freshmen. The Baer was not as fierce last season. As I often say, he's the rare guy that has more impact off the bench so I'd like to see JW have the chops to start. I share the opinion that Moss, for all his erratic play (as a sophomore) he's a good ball player. It would an extraordinary freshmen to put Ike on the bench.

I hope not, too much pressure on the kid. Let Dailey start at the 3 with JBO, Moss, Cook and Garza.
Really, this year should be a breath of fresh air for Joe. I doubt he'll be double and triple teamed like he was the last two years in high school. He also won't need to shoulder the offensive load like he HAD to in high school. This is a kid who stood out at every major national camp he went too. He has wanted to be a Hawk most of his life, and from all reports is working his tail off to be ready day one. When these top 50 guys show up at other schools they generally start and are major contributors. Why do we think that Joe won't be capable of stepping in like say Huerter at Maryland?

Reactions: easy2 and ZumaHawk
Joe likely represents the highest rated recruit Fran has gotten and if he can’t play from day 1 that’s disappointing and very surprising. He could have gone to a number of other really good programs and has played against very good competition on the AAU circuit. He will have things to learn and adjustments to make at this level but he’s got to be out there early and often to do that. We don’t need him to be the number one option day 1 either but a better option than what we’ve been sending out there.

This program won 4 conference games. There is no way he’s not good enough to do this. Is this our selling pitch to other high level recruits? Well son I know you are a top 50 player but maybe down the road you can get significant minutes and start for a 12 win, 4 conference wins program. It’s no wonder we have huge issues.
This. I don't understand why top 50 players go to other school, and no one is suprized that they are very good right off the bat, but we get a guy, and we don't think we should throw him right in the pool? The three spot was Iowa's biggest problem on both ends of the court last season, and we tried to plug that whole with a bunch of guys who weren't a good fit for that role. Now we have a top 50 player by all accounts, who looks born for that role, and we don't want to rush him out there. He can't possibly be worse then what we tried to do last year with guys like Wagner, (much love Ahmad), Nunge, (who should be a stretch 4), or someone like Pemsl, who just doesn't have the neede skills to play on the wing.

Immediately starts and it isn’t close. He is an impact player on a team that needs an impact player.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
JBo
Moss
Joe
Cook
Garza

Connor, Baer and Kreiner main 3 off the bench. Dailey/Pemsl change of pace minutes. Nunge odd man out.

Last edited:
He will start at the 3 day one. I hope/think we will actually see 4 guard lineups during games with Cook or Garza in the middle and CM at point.

JBo
Moss
Joe
Cook
Garza

Connor, Baer and Kreiner main 3 off the bench. Dailey/Pemsl change of pace minutes. Nunge odd man out.
Still think Nunge is a serious talent, who just needs to be put in the right situation to flourish. Don't want to see him languish on the bench in favor of Baer or Pemsl. I'd go Garza and Kreiner at the five with Cook and Nunge at the four, and spot Jack some minutes at the five in certain spots as well.

Still think Nunge is a serious talent, who just needs to be put in the right situation to flourish. Don't want to see him languish on the bench in favor of Baer or Pemsl. I'd go Garza and Kreiner at the five with Cook and Nunge at the four, and spot Jack some minutes at the five in certain spots as well.
This. Nunge wasn't ready last year, but he flashed some serious skill for a 7 footer. If he gains some upper body strength, and tightens his handles he'll be solidly in the rotation. I really think his ability to handle, without being stripped, will be the key to how much he's used.

If Joe is not starting by the beginning of the B1G season, we will be in trouble. Unless Dailey packs on some muscle & becomes more aggressive, and Moss becomes consistent... Both of those would be very good things to happen. That would be OK With Joe still getting starter minutes.

I would expect the vets to get the nod as starters early on and we will get a mix of different kinds of line-ups during the early games that feature the inexperienced in a variety of different positions.

By league play I would guess it's J Bo, Moss, Joe, Cook, and Garza. Daily and Conner could well end up as two of the first players off the bench. If we get smaller at the three, minutes for Baer, Nunge, and Pemsl are very difficult to find. If Kriener establishes himself as Luka's back up it might be smart for Nunge to use a red shirt year. The same could be said for Pemsl, but I doubt he'd buy into it. IMO Nunge has more potential and would benefit himself and the Hawks if he did redshirt. I doubt it happens.

I can't see Joe not starting when the games really matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT