ADVERTISEMENT

Don’t understand the lineup today

Oh I do wonder what our complainers would be posting if our coaches started an injured wrestler yesterday and that wrestler went down for the year with a reinjury. Let me guess - "it's just Purdue, we could have beat them with our second string, why in the name of God . . ."

Oh I do wonder what our complainers would be posting if our coaches started an injured wrestler yesterday and that wrestler went down for the year with a reinjury. Let me guess - "it's just Purdue, we could have beat them with our second string, why in the name of God . . ."

Did you read the post? Nobody is saying wrestle injured wrestlers.. let me guess- you had a little feather in your pants?

Reactions: artradley
Bump, any thoughts on this? @SPOONER we know you love basketball, would Fran have been able to get away with no explanation before or after a game with 3 starters out?

Not sure why you're calling me out as I don't think I've commented on the matter. I share
some of the frustration over the mindset that Iowa doesn't generally officially disclose injuries.

What I don't do is lose my mind that I haven't been entertained by my favorite wrestling pawns. Especially on a message board where injuries to several have been widely discussed.

Reactions: Gobblin

That is exactly what these people would have said. I'm still waiting on the list of guys who were physically ready to go but were held out for the hell of it.

Reactions: Gobblin
That is exactly what these people would have said. I'm still waiting on the list of guys who were physically ready to go but were held out for the hell of it.
You guys are continuously arguing against strawmen. No one has said wrestle injured guys. Just let the paying fans know who is and isn’t wrestling. How hard is that to understand??

Not sure why you're calling me out as I don't think I've commented on the matter. I share
some of the frustration over the mindset that Iowa doesn't generally officially disclose injuries.

What I don't do is lose my mind that I haven't been entertained by my favorite wrestling pawns. Especially on a message board where injuries to several have been widely discussed.
You said in a previous thread that you’d rather watch Iowa basketball than two too non-Iowa wrestlers. So I figured you might watch b-ball from time to time. So, I’ll ask again, how would this be handled with the basketball team? My guess is that Fran would be expected to explain himself or face some pretty tough questioning from the media.

You guys are continuously arguing against strawmen. No one has said wrestle injured guys. Just let the paying fans know who is and isn’t wrestling. How hard is that to understand??
Not that it's anyone's business but Lugo as a no go & Happel going was a mid morning decision yesterday. Sorry Brands didn't text you to let you know of the changes...

You said in a previous thread that you’d rather watch Iowa basketball than two too non-Iowa wrestlers. So I figured you might watch b-ball from time to time. So, I’ll ask again, how would this be handled with the basketball team? My guess is that Fran would be expected to explain himself or face some pretty tough questioning from the media.

Yes sir. Even the Iowa media, which generally lobs softball after softball, would put some pressure on.

See several posts in this thread saying otherwise. Including one that references the Gable era and how wrestlers must have been tougher then.

BTW, it is fairly commonplace for fans not to be told until 1-2 hours before the game that a football player will be held out of a game. Just throwing that out there for scrutiny. Not the exact same situation as there is more elaboration at some point.

Reactions: OpenHawkSurgery
The season lasts 5 months, and the only the only meaningful way of determining success is at Nationals in March. Today is November 25 -- RELAX !!!

I think the frustration has more to do with the fact that this is the best team we’ve fielded since 2010, and we have at least a couple of guys whose injuries sound like they could be somewhat long-term.

We brought 6 boys 8-and-under who were pretty upset that Spencer wasn’t wrestling and Laura didn’t give a play-by-play of guys bouncing into each other in giant bubble suits, but like I said to them, this is just the first of many times that a woman will disappoint you in life, so get used to it.

Injuries are NEVER disclosed in college college wrestling by ANY coach that is worth his salt. Why TF some of you clowns can’t understand this is beyond any reasonable thinking person that’s followed the sport in any capacity. Those in this camp are looking dumber and dumber with each post. Some of you morans should seriously delete your accounts. Your posts are cringeworthy and offensive to sensible fans of the sport.

Injuries are NEVER disclosed in college college wrestling by ANY coach that is worth his salt. Why TF some of you clowns can’t understand this is beyond any reasonable thinking person that’s followed the sport in any capacity. Those in this camp are looking dumber and dumber with each post. Some of you morans should seriously delete your accounts. Your posts are cringeworthy and offensive to sensible fans of the sport.

Says the fan who can't spell morons... Lol you put off this sense of all wrestling knowledge but I doubt "your" opinion is worth the hair on my wattle. Wattle- the little red thing in your picture..

Reactions: 24Hawkeye7
Would there be something wrong with saying that Warner won’t be wrestling due to an undisclosed injury? What’s the harm?

Bruh, chill :cool:;):D

Would there be something wrong with saying that Warner won’t be wrestling due to an undisclosed injury? What’s the harm?
Bowman said he found out he was going in the tunnel after the names were announced.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarpHawk
I will copy my reply to the equally ridiculous thread "Marinelli": I am honestly disappointed in the complaining about the 'boring' match yesterday. If you truly feel that injured/sick wrestlers should wrestle, then I think you need to get your priorities straight. Please note that the wrestlers who took the mat worked just as hard as the starters. Also, it was a flippin' "W" in the Big Ten for us! Gawd, are you under the impression that you are Commodus and are watching gladiators or something? This is not for your own 'personal entertainment' value. Please, call me out because you guys are kidding and I missed it. Otherwise, I am beyond disappointed in each of you speaking this way.

I will copy my reply to the equally ridiculous thread "Marinelli": I am honestly disappointed in the complaining about the 'boring' match yesterday. If you truly feel that injured/sick wrestlers should wrestle, then I think you need to get your priorities straight. Please note that the wrestlers who took the mat worked just as hard as the starters. Also, it was a flippin' "W" in the Big Ten for us! Gawd, are you under the impression that you are Commodus and are watching gladiators or something? This is not for your own 'personal entertainment' value. Please, call me out because you guys are kidding and I missed it. Otherwise, I am beyond disappointed in each of you speaking this way.
First, because of your overly sensitive reply, I'm going to guess that you are pretty close with one of the athletes. If that's so, I recommend staying off this board.

Second, and I'm not sure why this has to be repeated. No one is calling for sick/injured athletes to compete. If they are, I agree with you.

Third, I would bet every penny I have that absolutely no one cares about your disappointment.

First, I will agree that there should be more recognition for some of the guys yesterday. Bowman and Happel had very good days. And frankly, as I watch PP I was thinking how he was wrestling very well -like a guy who has been in a room with a world champion for over a year and is no longer afraid of any mere mortal.

The problem is the frustration of injuries has become overwhelming. Coupled with a lack of candor from the coaching staff and many of us are concentrating on voicing our frustrations instead of giving props to the guys who earned it. That’s a fair point on your part.

Because maybe that isn’t the reason. You’re sense of entitlement is incredibly abnoxious.

Because maybe that isn’t the reason. You’re sense of entitlement is incredibly abnoxious.
I paid money to watch. As a paying customer I am entitled to know what I’m paying for. That is how a marketplace functions.

I don’t care what the reason is, that’s besides the point. Just say who is, isn’t wrestling.

I paid money to watch. As a paying customer I am entitled to know what I’m paying for. That is how a marketplace functions.

I don’t care what the reason is, that’s besides the point. Just say who is, isn’t wrestling.

Do a search and read Randy Novak’s posts... Do some critical thinking and quit posting.

They have a better retort to the non-existent argument.

"You act like guys were never "injured" during the Gable days, but how many times did the majority of Iowa starters wrestle against lesser opponents? Damn near all the time you saw Iowa's best lineup. You're trying to tell me the "superhuman" athletes of today are always hurt?"

Just one of many examples across the threads.

This is not true in any way, shape or form. You're incredibly ignorant if you believe that to be true about buying a ticket for a sport. The only thing you are guaranteed is that there will be a contest. That's it.

Reactions: Grip220

Your payment entitles you to see what the media company (Flo, BTN, etc.) has agreed to offer you. You are entitled to that. Take them to court!

:rolleyes::oops:

"You act like guys were never "injured" during the Gable days, but how many times did the majority of Iowa starters wrestle against lesser opponents? Damn near all the time you saw Iowa's best lineup. You're trying to tell me the "superhuman" athletes of today are always hurt?"

Just one of many examples across the threads.

This is not true in any way, shape or form. You're incredibly ignorant if you believe that to be true about buying a ticket for a sport. The only thing you are guaranteed is that there will be a contest. That's it.
Professional sports have rules about disclosing injuries, and you can make viewing decisions based on that information.

It does bring up a good point, every other major sport has an injury report, why is wrestling so secretive with regards to disclosing the injuries of its athletes?

It does bring up a good point, every other major sport has an injury report, why is wrestling so secretive with regards to disclosing the injuries of its athletes?

They actually don't. We consistently don't hear about college football players sitting out until 0-2 hours before the game. See Brandon Smith a few weeks ago. Spielman from Nebraska the other day. And about 1000 other examples.

And even then, players are game time decisions. College sports have no such rules, BTW.
True, colleges don’t have the rules. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea. My bet is that there will be a rule within a few years.

Can someone recap this thread?

arthadley did a good recap.

I believe the progression of the conversation was 1)initial po’d reaction that supposedly healthy starters were t wrestling, 2)our resident “in the know” folks explained that half of our team (and most of our studs ) are injured, 3)discouragement that we have so many injuries and the coaches don’t divulge any information — either before or after the fact.

Nobody ever suggested we should wrestle guys who are injured.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT