ADVERTISEMENT

Early Big Ten men's BB projections

hawkjt

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2004
I know the dust has not settled with the portal and rosters but with Malik Hall and Tyson Walker announcing they are returning to MSU I have to think Sparty has a great chance at FF or even a title shot to break the Big Tens drought.
MSU only lose Hauser and add a top recruiting class including that top 12 kid from Indy( 6'10').

MSU has to be early favorite in the league.

I know the dust has not settled with the portal and rosters but with Malik Hall and Tyson Walker announcing they are returning to MSU I have to think Sparty has a great chance at FF or even a title shot to break the Big Tens drought.
MSU only lose Hauser and add a top recruiting class including that top 12 kid from Indy( 6'10').

I only care about whether we can finish better than 13th in the conference next year.

I don't see it happening, but then Fran found a way to take this massively flawed team to the NCAA Tournament this past season...............

Booker is probably overrated as a top 12 player. I say that knowing he will either average 15 or 2 this year. He's super athletic, but inconsistent as heck. Struggles with his motor. I'd rank him in the 50's if I was a ranker.

Reactions: TheCainer

My guess may be Indiana.

My guess may be Indiana.
Their leading minutes returners are Trey Galloway and Malik Reneau. They did add a formerly highly rated center recently in the portal, but he barely got playing time on an NIT Oregon team last year so I'm unsure of how that really translates.

IMO on paper it's MSU, Maryland, and Purdue as the top 3. It's hard to tell how good some teams like Indiana, Illinois, Penn St, etc are going to be because their roster is half empty still.

Fran getting Krikke will add to scoring lost by Murray and Filip leaving. Perkins I hope is more consistently really good TonyP. I am not sure what we will get with PMac on offense and he has not been a very good defender.

If RileyM can make big strides that will be great but still a need for that rim defender, glass cleaner and an above avg point guard.

The Sandforts could also help fill the nets

Defense. Somehow we did what we did this year without being able to guard people. We got enough big nights from enough guys.

If Krikke can demand a double and pass out of it (I have no idea if he is a good passer) to shooters we have a chance to win some games at home.

16-15 prediction.

For those curious, I try my best to keep this up to date. I only take players off when they declare for the draft and are projected to be picked--there's some still listed that are "testing the water" but I expect them to return like Cliff O of Rutgers for example. Color coded by class: Purple = covid senior, green = 4th year senior, etc.

For those curious, I try my best to keep this up to date. I only take players off when they declare for the draft and are projected to be picked--there's some still listed that are "testing the water" but I expect them to return like Cliff O of Rutgers for example. Color coded by class: Purple = covid senior, green = 4th year senior, etc.
That's even worse than I thought. We will literally have no bench scoring to rely on......

Fran getting Krikke will add to scoring lost by Murray and Filip leaving. Perkins I hope is more consistently really good TonyP. I am not sure what we will get with PMac on offense and he has not been a very good defender.

If RileyM can make big strides that will be great but still a need for that rim defender, glass cleaner and an above avg point guard.

The Sandforts could also help fill the nets
You’re forgetting about Josh Dix…with more consistent minutes, he will be a good contributor.

Great job maintaining that grid.
Thanks.
Donta Scott is returning to MD?
5th year at least. They do look strong.

Yeah, I think Maryland is going to be really good next year. Honestly, Purdue may take a step down but the league is going to be better top to bottom.

You’re forgetting about Josh Dix…with more consistent minutes, he will be a good contributor.
Oh yes you are correct and I have liked Josh in my posts during the season. I saw him getting rim height rebounds a few times so he has some ups, he is an above avg ball handler from what little I have seen, maybe one of the better guard sized defenders, and he can shoot so he has impressed me. If he can really develop the ability to attack the rim and score or dish assists then he could be our starting pt guard.

Reactions: RocknRollface
You need to add Nimmers to the players list for next season. I think he will have a significant impact on the team next season. Mulvey should have been creaned.
I only add scholarship players--mostly because I created it to track whether or not a team was fun on scholarships or not (and 95% of transfers never play, so it rarely comes up).

DB takes a huge step forward ...think Val Barnes ...at least honorable mention all-b1g
- if not, look out for Nimmers to take his job and do the same

Dix, with a full year and half since his injury is back to full form and becomes "Cmac with an O-game"

Sandfort takes an even bigger step forward, 19 pts/gm ...at least 2nd team all-b1g

Krikke and Mack (🙏) provide the frontcourt explosion this team has been lacking.

SWEET 16 here we come!!!

A LONG time ago, I actually thought Andy Katz knew what he is talking about. He talks a LOT, but doesn't!

Until we see how the dust settles on transfers, it is too early to be making predictions. Unfortunately, I agree that MSU will be one of the early favorites. I only looked at the excellent analysis by HawkHoops 80 quickly, but I would wonder why Andy would not have the Mildcats much nearer the top of his predictions with their guards and 2 other starters back. Lots of moving parts on many of the teams. PSU is incredible....

Hawks lost their 3 best interior players and the leaders of the team, so we have a lot to prove. Yes, we were so thin on the interior last year, that I believe Connor was our third best interior player, in addition to being a team leader.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT