ADVERTISEMENT

Echo Deal

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
We had a thread on these devices recently and I just noticed the best sale I've seen. $75 (or $70 if you are a new QVC customer).

This might signify that Amazon is preparing to discontinue this model and replace it with something niftier, but it's still a fine device at a great price.

It also comes with extended free trials of Amazon's music and audiobook services, which might interest some or, if not, you can just not activate them (and not worry about cancelling them).

www.qvc.com/Amazon-Echo-Speaker-with-2-Plus-Months-Music-&-Audible-Books.product.E231174.html

I'm sure a new one is in the works with all the competition on the way with much better audio. Apple's Homepod is just one example.

I'm sure a new one is in the works with all the competition on the way with much better audio. Apple's Homepod is just one example.
I still think the Dot is probably the best deal, if you find it on a good sale. Retail = $50 but they were $35 on Prime Day.

The reason I think that is because (as far as I can tell) they do everything the Echo does and you can hook up better speakers (wired or via bluetooth). But if you don't want that hassle, the Echo has pleasant sound. And at this price it's cheaper than getting a Dot and adding a small speaker.

This is probably the best deal if you are getting one for parents or someone who just doesn't want to mess with hooking more things up.

I still think the Dot is probably the best deal, if you find it on a good sale. Retail = $50 but they were $35 on Prime Day.

The reason I think that is because (as far as I can tell) they do everything the Echo does and you can hook up better speakers (wired or via bluetooth). But if you don't want that hassle, the Echo has pleasant sound. And at this price it's cheaper than getting a Dot and adding a small speaker.

This is probably the best deal if you are getting one for parents or someone who just doesn't want to mess with hooking more things up.
I have the dot. It is a decent little device. I will say though, the only thing I use it for is listening to music or iHeartRadio while I'm in the shower. That's it. I'm sure some people get a lot more use out of Alexa, but for me, its usually just easier to use my iphone and bluetooth speaker than trying to get Alexa to play the music I want.

I have the dot. It is a decent little device. I will say though, the only thing I use it for is listening to music or iHeartRadio while I'm in the shower. That's it. I'm sure some people get a lot more use out of Alexa, but for me, its usually just easier to use my iphone and bluetooth speaker than trying to get Alexa to play the music I want.
Music is a big use for me, as well. Also checking weather, listening to news briefings, playing podcasts, and so on. I've tried some other "skills" but those are the ones that stuck.

I think they should come out with a weatherproof one. I'd put one next to the front door and use it as an intercom. Plus play music when I am on the porch.

Any deals on Echo chainsaws? I'll probably need one next week.

Trad live streaming next week...
giphy.webp

Reminds me of this guy I knew. Got a new stereo for his car. Was bragging about how it came with a remote control. Wow, a remote for a stereo that you are only a foot away from. This is what the Echo reminds me of, something that halfway intelligent people don't need.

Reminds me of this guy I knew. Got a new stereo for his car. Was bragging about how it came with a remote control. Wow, a remote for a stereo that you are only a foot away from. This is what the Echo reminds me of, something that halfway intelligent people don't need.

I play music on it. Get news briefs. Can drop in on the different ones around the house or do that from my phone. Set alarms and timers. I could live without it but they are nice to have around. Will probably look into getting some smart home gadgets at Christmas time.

Reactions: nolesincebirth
We had a thread on these devices recently and I just noticed the best sale I've seen. $75 (or $70 if you are a new QVC customer).

This might signify that Amazon is preparing to discontinue this model and replace it with something niftier, but it's still a fine device at a great price.

It also comes with extended free trials of Amazon's music and audiobook services, which might interest some or, if not, you can just not activate them (and not worry about cancelling them).

www.qvc.com/Amazon-Echo-Speaker-with-2-Plus-Months-Music-&-Audible-Books.product.E231174.html

I had one for a while, now its sitting in a box. Totally totally useless. Maybe for someone paralyzed from the neck down it would be helpful.

Reactions: I.C.Hawkeye
Lol, not even the same thing. I get it, you're old and don't need it, but for many it's a useful tool.

No you can't. If I'm in the shower, I can tell my echo to play something. Can you do that with your phone?

Yeah, you can just yell at Seri and she will play music. An actual useful thing would be if Echo could get you a beer while in the shower. Until Echo can do that, it is worthless to the vast majority of people.

Everyone that I know that has an Echo, uses it for like a month then it just collects dust.

Lol, not even the same thing. I get it, you're old and don't need it, but for many it's a useful tool.

You are correct, I am not a quadriplegic or an extremely lazy person.

You are wrong about old people though. It might actually be of use to them since they have limited mobility.

Just bought another one through the QVC deal. Going to use it as a Christmas gift. I love mine. Had it about a year and we use it daily. We have a lot of Wemo smart switches around the house and the Echo integrates grate for the smart-home concept.

Yeah, you can just yell at Seri and she will play music. An actual useful thing would be if Echo could get you a beer while in the shower. Until Echo can do that, it is worthless to the vast majority of people.

Everyone that I know that has an Echo, uses it for like a month then it just collects dust.
Is Siri completely voice activated?

Why is it okay to use your phone to do this stuff, but your a lazy POS if you'd rather use the echo?

Is Siri completely voice activated?

Why is it okay to use your phone to do this stuff, but your a lazy POS if you'd rather use the echo?

Siri is completely voice activated as long as your phone is on. If it is off, then it is pretty much a paper weight.

I am just making fun of the people that spend extra money when they already have a device that can do anything a Echo can. Like the old saying goes "A fool and his money are soon parted".

Siri is completely voice activated as long as your phone is on. If it is off, then it is pretty much a paper weight.

I am just making fun of the people that spend extra money when they already have a device that can do anything a Echo can. Like the old saying goes "A fool and his money are soon parted".

Yes, why pay $70 for this echo when you can just pay $600 for an iphone. Those fools and their money.

Reactions: Scott559

Yeah, reports are they are basically going to rip off Apple's new design, with the shape and cloth - so expect it in November/Xmas.

Yes, why pay $70 for this echo when you can just pay $600 for an iphone. Those fools and their money.

And Siri isn't Alexa/Google, nor does it have near the reach on supported apps.

Maybe that will change with the homepod, but Alexa and Google are far far better than Siri.

You can do Alexa within the iPhone Amazon shopping app, but that takes a few presses.

Who doesn't already have a smart phone? So why spend an extra 70 dollars on top of the 600 they already spent. Looks like you don't understand basic bath.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Who doesn't already have a smart phone? So why spend an extra 70 dollars on top of the 600 they already spent. Looks like you don't understand basic bath.

My smart phone cost $200 and doesn't have Siri. Looks like I just bested you by $330.

Also, my kids use the echo. Do I need to buy each of them their own $600 smart phone?

My smart phone cost $200 and doesn't have Siri. Looks like I just bested you by $330.

Also, my kids use the echo. Do I need to buy each of them their own $600 smart phone?

Smartphone cost are directly related to the contract you sign from your cell phone provider. You can get an older generation of i phone with siri for way less than 200 dollars.

Teach your kids how to turn on the stereo. Problem solved and it was free.

Smartphone cost are directly related to the contract you sign from your cell phone provider. You can get an older generation of i phone with siri for way less than 200 dollars.

Teach your kids how to turn on the stereo. Problem solved and it was free.

So, I just bought my kids a stereo. It cost $70, is voice activated, and can stream music. It works pretty good.

Reactions: Scott559
You can talk to you phone as easy as an Echo.
Is your phone always with you? Is it always listening?

Sure, you can do the same things other ways. But do you? Devices like this make some things easier to do. If that means you do those things more and enjoy them or benefit from them, then that's a good thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT