ADVERTISEMENT

Echo Deal

My smart phone cost $200 and doesn't have Siri. Looks like I just bested you by $330.

Also, my kids use the echo. Do I need to buy each of them their own $600 smart phone?
My smart phone cost $80 and has Cortana. Amazon and Microsoft are working on interoperability between Alexa and Cortana.

Point being that there are some things you can do with Echo devices that you can't do with phones, and other things you can do with either type of device but may find more convenient with an Echo.

For families, the intercom ability could be very useful. I don't know anyone who has tried to use that feature in a business, but that could be done, too, I assume.

If you want best sound quality, I have read that the "home" device you want is the Apple Homepod or whatever it's called. Supposed to be really great. But it's $350. The Google gizmo is also said to have decent sound.

My guess is that the next version of the Echo will have improved tweeters.

S/PDIF out would be nice. I have wondered about the DAC in these devices. I'm guessing the DAC in my receiver is better, so S/PDIF would be a good option.

Got to come to the defense of the Echo guy eh??? I guess it is because both of you just proved my point. Echo supporters are lazy. He can't even fight his own battles now.
I don't own an echo, Unlike some people I am not going to judge whether or not it works for others. If it's not for you fine, I don't understand your need for bashing people that seem to enjoy theirs. But hey if you enjoy being an asshole be an asshole, you play the part well.

Handy when I'm laying in bed and want the temp changed a few degrees or realize the basement lights were left on.

I don't own an echo, Unlike some people I am not going to judge whether or not it works for others. If it's not for you fine, I don't understand your need for bashing people that seem to enjoy theirs. But hey if you enjoy being an asshole be an asshole, you play the part well.

Real mature there. Can't articulate an educated response so you resort to name calling.

People judge people all the time on the products they buy. Apple people judge Samsung people, Chevy owners judge Ford owners, Xbox fans judge Playstation fans. It is called being normal.

My own brother bought an Echo. He used it for like a week and now it just sits there collecting dust. So yes, he is an idiot for buying something so useless. He will say that he was an idiot for buying it to. So why shouldn't I try to inform other people on here that this is a product they will regret buying later on?

Real mature there. Can't articulate an educated response so you resort to name calling.

People judge people all the time on the products they buy. Apple people judge Samsung people, Chevy owners judge Ford owners, Xbox fans judge Playstation fans. It is called being normal.

My own brother bought an Echo. He used it for like a week and now it just sits there collecting dust. So yes, he is an idiot for buying something so useless. He will say that he was an idiot for buying it to. So why shouldn't I try to inform other people on here that this is a product they will regret buying later on?
The problem is you're acting as if there is a right and wrong answer to whether there is value to the Echo, when it is completely a personal preference. If you'd rather use your phone to do everything, that's fine with me. Personally, I'd prefer to use the Echo to do certain things. I don't like having my bluetooth turned on on my phone, so if I want to use a bluetooth speaker I'm constantly having to turn it on and connect it. If I want to get a quick update on the weather while I'm fixing my breakfast in the morning, it's easiest to just say, "Alexa, what's the weather". I have multiplex echos/dots throughout the house, so there is one pretty much anywhere I go in the house which is more convenient then making sure I have my phone with me at all times.

My echo can interact with my firetv, so I can tell it to open netflix or playstation vue. I can tell it to pause which is convenient if something is on while I'm in the kitchen and I want to see it. I can just tell it to pause instead of going into the living room and finding the remote and pausing it. Can you do that with siri?

My echo can interact with my firetv, so I can tell it to open netflix or playstation vue. I can tell it to pause which is convenient if something is on while I'm in the kitchen and I want to see it.
That made me google roku and alexa. I found a hack to do that, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of setting it up. Maybe Roku or Amazon will provide an official skill.

If you have multiple TVs and multiple fireTVs can you tell Alexa which one you want to use?

That made me google roku and alexa. I found a hack to do that, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of setting it up. Maybe Roku or Amazon will provide an official skill.

If you have multiple TVs and multiple fireTVs can you tell Alexa which one you want to use?
I think an echo/dot can only have one fire device linked to it, but you can link a fire device to multiple echoes/dots.

The problem is you're acting as if there is a right and wrong answer to whether there is value to the Echo, when it is completely a personal preference. If you'd rather use your phone to do everything, that's fine with me. Personally, I'd prefer to use the Echo to do certain things. I don't like having my bluetooth turned on on my phone, so if I want to use a bluetooth speaker I'm constantly having to turn it on and connect it. If I want to get a quick update on the weather while I'm fixing my breakfast in the morning, it's easiest to just say, "Alexa, what's the weather". I have multiplex echos/dots throughout the house, so there is one pretty much anywhere I go in the house which is more convenient then making sure I have my phone with me at all times.

My echo can interact with my firetv, so I can tell it to open netflix or playstation vue. I can tell it to pause which is convenient if something is on while I'm in the kitchen and I want to see it. I can just tell it to pause instead of going into the living room and finding the remote and pausing it. Can you do that with siri?

Man that must kill you when you actually have to use a remote then. I am burdened with having to use the remote on my Roku.

Man that must kill you when you actually have to use a remote then. I am burdened with having to use the remote on my Roku.
No. But sometimes it's more convenient to not have to.

I don't know what you expected the echo to do. It's not some kind of life changing device. But it can be useful for some people.

No. But sometimes it's more convenient to not have to.

I don't know what you expected the echo to do. It's not some kind of life changing device. But it can be useful for some people.

Nothing I guess. I just don't see it as that big an advancement. Getting PS Vue on my tablet so I can watch in bed, now thats progress...

A waste of money, wouldn't use one if it was free.

How did you come to that conclusion? Passing judgement without using or having something is a bit short sighted.

Approximately 40 years go my Dad got my mom a microwave for Christmas. Her words- "I need that like I need a hole in my head". Didn't take long and she found it quite useful.

I have the Dot. Alexa can lock/unlock my door. She can give me sports scores. She can turn my lights on/off or turn the temperature up/down in the house. When I cook supper I can listen to Billy Joel or most anything else without touching my phone. Added bonus, she can turn my TV on/off/etc. Using it for timers and alarms is handy as hell too.

I've had mine for 8+ months and I still use it on a consistent basis.

Yeah there is an absolute wrong, not a right answer for 99.99999% of the American population. Echo is stupid for them. You are in the extreme minority that things this is a good thing. Quit trying to push your opinions onto other people that don't know.

So you have one for every room. You you must have wasted over 500 dollars on them. Good for you to not value your money.

How did you come to that conclusion? Passing judgement without using or having something is a bit short sighted.

Approximately 40 years go my Dad got my mom a microwave for Christmas. Her words- "I need that like I need a hole in my head". Didn't take long and she found it quite useful.

I have the Dot. Alexa can lock/unlock my door. She can give me sports scores. She can turn my lights on/off or turn the temperature up/down in the house. When I cook supper I can listen to Billy Joel or most anything else without touching my phone. Added bonus, she can turn my TV on/off/etc. Using it for timers and alarms is handy as hell too.

I've had mine for 8+ months and I still use it on a consistent basis.

Is there a wide range of compatible products to allow Alexa to do all of that, or do you have to buy some Amazon brand of door lock, thermostat, etc?

This is what separates you from the strong and keep you in the week. If you can't recognize the difference between something stupid or not without having to try it.

I've never tried anal beads. It doesn't take a genius to know that I'm not going to like them. Try making a rational argument next time.

Says the guy who doesn't even understand his cell phone pricing contract.

I was the one who did understand my contract. You apparently don't understand basic reading though. If you are going to jump in the middle next time, get your facts straight before you look like an idiot.

Nothing I guess. I just don't see it as that big an advancement. Getting PS Vue on my tablet so I can watch in bed, now thats progress...

There are certain types of people that can admit to making a mistake. The people that are hyping up the Echo are a great example of this.

Is there a wide range of compatible products to allow Alexa to do all of that, or do you have to buy some Amazon brand of door lock, thermostat, etc?

Alexa has by far the most far-ranging list of compatible products.

One thing that the troll here has ignored, because it has FAR FAR FAR MORE compatibility than Siri.

For example, in order to use Siri (currently) with say a smart-switch (WeMo), youd have to use something like IFTTT to send a text/email/something within ios to somewhere else that would then trigger your switch.

As opposed to Alexa which has native IFTTT and WeMo compatibility.

I was the one who did understand my contract. You apparently don't understand basic reading though. If you are going to jump in the middle next time, get your facts straight before you look like an idiot.

You were trying to say that cell phone contracts make the phone far less costly than the $600 someone posted.

Me thinks you've been duped.

You were trying to say that cell phone contracts make the phone far less costly than the $600 someone posted.

Me thinks you've been duped.

The major cell providers put the cost of the phone into the contract. That should be common knowledge.

Did you ever notice that the price of the phone without a contract is a lot more?

The major cell providers put the cost of the phone into the contract. That should be common knowledge.

Did you ever notice that the price of the phone without a contract is a lot more?

Boy are you behind the times.

The fact that you don't even understand this basic aspect of contracting with your provider shows you should not be posting in a thread claiming fiscal responsibility.

You think Alexa/Echo is a rip off, but believe your cell phone provider is subsidizing your phone for you. How cute.

Boy are you behind the times.

The fact that you don't even understand this basic aspect of contracting with your provider shows you should not be posting in a thread claiming fiscal responsibility.

You think Alexa/Echo is a rip off, but believe your cell phone provider is subsidizing your phone for you. How cute.

I noticed how you couldn't answer the only question I asked you.

Why does the price of a smartphone go down if you commit to a 2 year contract?

When you avoid answering a basic question, shows how you have already lost the debate.

It doesn't matter what you say about the Echo. The vast majority of Americans understand the opportunity cost of them. They can comprehend that they already have a device that can do the exact same functions already. So they chose wisely to spend their money on gas, mortgages, tuition, vacation, food, electricity, and anything else that provides a value to them.

Far ranging compatible devices.
August Lock
Nest Thermostat
Hue Lights
Logitech TV remote

I'm sure many other locks, etc. are supported. I've had all the above for 2+ years while just getting the Dot 8+ months ago.

Says the guy that can't properly quote a post. Says the same guy that says an articulated post is irrational because it differs with his view and thinks there's a parallel between a $50 gadget and a sex toy.

We're done here.

I noticed how you couldn't answer the only question I asked you.

Why does the price of a smartphone go down if you commit to a 2 year contract?

When you avoid answering a basic question, shows how you have already lost the debate.

It doesn't matter what you say about the Echo. The vast majority of Americans understand the opportunity cost of them. They can comprehend that they already have a device that can do the exact same functions already. So they chose wisely to spend their money on gas, mortgages, tuition, vacation, food, electricity, and anything else that provides a value to them.

It doesn't you maroon.

Let's take the largest provider in the US, Verizon.

They subsidize the phone through the contract - and then charge you more per line for having that contract. As evidenced by any hundreds of website dedicated to "thriftyness" and how to save money on cell phone bills.

But, now that is especially true as nearly all of the big players have moved towards monthly payments on the phone and separating it from the contract. Where you pay ~$30/month for two years, and guess what that comes out to? The price of the phone.

Unless you are so incredibly naive as to believe cell phone companies are just eating the prices of phones and then all of a sudden decided not to - you just are an idiot.

The vast majority of Americans? Read this: http://bgr.com/2017/06/02/amazon-echo-sales-figures-2017-est/

Amazon is shipping 10Million of these devices in just 2017 alone.

No way do I want something not only listening to everything, but recording it and storing said data in the cloud..............but that's just me.

No way do I want something not only listening to everything, but recording it and storing said data in the cloud..............but that's just me.

I'm with you on that. The convenience potentially provided hasn't yet come anywhere near outweighing this downside for me.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT