ADVERTISEMENT

Edit, that call is not going to do Iowa any favors

First, the call was made because “good” refs react. Saw the movement and extended elbow, reacted and called it. Second, there was only a slim chance that UCon was going to get a shot even if the foul had not been called. there was less than 4 seconds left and there was going to be a double team on the ball. Hawks had a foul to give. Make the foul if “necessary” and now there is just over a second left..

The replays did no justice to the call.
They didn't show her lower body, which clearly moved into Gabbie. I'm not saying I would call it in that situation, but it's a call that gets made often throughout the game.
But again, the replays didn't show her body moving at all, just the elbow sticking out slightly.
Look at other replay angles…they certainly do show her lower body moving out too.

Look at other replay angles…they certainly do show her lower body moving out too.
I watched the replay carefully and you are absolutely correct. Her leg slid way out to move her body into Gabby. I said earlier that Marshall did the right thing to fight over the top of the screen. Had she gone under the screen, I'd hate to think of that possible outcome.

I guess I'll turn in my Hawkeye vanity plates because some jagoff on HawkeyeNation says I should.

I'm an Iowa fan. I just don't watch much women's basketball (before, during, or what will be after CC22 graduates). It's boring to me. I don't care if that isn't popular.
That’s your opinion; however, Iowa’s women’s team has been more fun to watch the last few years than the men’s team. 😉

Stuelke right there with Bueckers. If the file was not called, Stuelke would have blocked the shot. Case closed, everyone can call it a night now.
there would not have been a shot. Clark was there as well to double team. Plus we had a foul to give. Take it the foul off the double team if necessary. Now only a second at most remaining. It was an obvious foul, ref saw it and reacted….time left was not a factor.

I’d say this picture is a pretty good still shot of how far the screener moved to set this screen.

No no. It's totally cool to set a 6 foot wide screen. Even though that itself is completely illegal to do as well.

Everything she did on that screen was illegal.

Wide base, slide to her left, arms outside her frame, initiated the contact, and threw an elbow.

Foul, foul, foul, foul, and a foul.

She should have got 5 fouls called on her not just one. Take your pick.

Just a friendly reminder that your neighborhood ISU fans are not rooting for us and immediately thought it was a horrible call and the fix is in. They hate Iowa so much more than we hate them, it's so odd. I guess the Purdy Kittle connection was short lived goodwill.

Reactions: cmhawks99
You're absolutely correct about the majority of ISU fans. They hate Iowa and will not cheer for us in any situation, even if they had a kid or 2 go to Iowa. They certainly can have an inferiority complex.

there would not have been a shot. Clark was there as well to double team. Plus we had a foul to give. Take it the foul off the double team if necessary. Now only a second at most remaining. It was an obvious foul, ref saw it and reacted….time left was not a factor.
Ref was looking hard at the screen too, there was zero time between the foul and his whistle. He anticipated it. Geno saw it and knew it as well.

Hell of a game.

If they don't call it then what happens is Hannah is on Bueckers, Marshall is our of the play and it's an easy dump down to Edwards for a layup. It was not just a simple screen that can get called at any time to get someone the ball, that screen was at the core of what their final play was. I would say that their mentality was that if Hannah switched then pass it to Edward's, but, if Hannah guarded the roll action then Bueckers was taking that shot. Great play by Marshall for fighting to get over the top.

If they don't call it then what happens is Hannah is on Bueckers, Marshall is our of the play and it's an easy dump down to Edwards for a layup. It was not just a simple screen that can get called at any time to get someone the ball, that screen was at the core of what their final play was. I would say that their mentality was that if Hannah switched then pass it to Edward's, but, if Hannah guarded the roll action then Bueckers was taking that shot. Great play by Marshall for fighting to get over the top.
You can if all day. They very could have called a foul on the final shot of it played out.

It is what it is.

Take the W and move on. Few are going to dwell on it after Sunday’s game starts.

Just a friendly reminder that your neighborhood ISU fans are not rooting for us and immediately thought it was a horrible call and the fix is in. They hate Iowa so much more than we hate them, it's so odd. I guess the Purdy Kittle connection was short lived goodwill.

Forgot how full of misogynistic incels that place is

Bullshit. MJ is the GOAT, will be forever. James is a poser, a pretender.
Oh, I guess you can't arguably say that a player who is a 4 time champion, 4 time MVP, the all time scoring leader for the NBA, a player who has won numerous defensive awards, an Olympic champion, and a player who has demonstrated over the decades an ability to produce in every facet of the game cannot be the GOAT? All of those accolades are posing and pretending. Well, give him some credit for being a solid poser for 20 years. Both Jordan and James are pretty good.
Good to know.
I'll let @RVHAWKXX in on that, too.

No no. It's totally cool to set a 6 foot wide screen. Even though that itself is completely illegal to do as well.

Everything she did on that screen was illegal.

Wide base, slide to her left, arms outside her frame, initiated the contact, and threw an elbow.

Foul, foul, foul, foul, and a foul.

She should have got 5 fouls called on her not just one. Take your pick.
Plus, stuck her left leg out to trip Gabby in case the first 5 infractions weren't successful.
Edit: Also to respond to someone who said we would all criticize the call if Iowa had set that very same screen. No, I would have said to myself "what a dumb thing to do at that point in the game" which was exactly what I said when Addie got called for her dumb foul under the basket when she pushed the other player down.

Anytime I sit to watch the NBA I see this type of screen and it seems to go uncalled. As stated by many, the hips and body moved as well as her feet being incredibly wide. Good call, but I would have enjoyed PB missing for the Iowa win just as much.

As I mentioned in another thread, after seeing the higher angle it would have been egregious to not make that call. The ref made the right call.
I think it's very clearly a foul - what's surprising is that officials have a long and storied history of swallowing their whistles down the stretch, but if you're being objective this was the right call.

I would concur. A very high percentage of them are brutal. Not all but more…

I don’t get it either way, but then again I’ve lived out of the state for 30 years…🤷‍♂️

Oh, I guess you can't arguably say that a player who is a 4 time champion, 4 time MVP, the all time scoring leader for the NBA, a player who has won numerous defensive awards, an Olympic champion, and a player who has demonstrated over the decades an ability to produce in every facet of the game cannot be the GOAT? All of those accolades are posing and pretending. Well, give him some credit for being a solid poser for 20 years. Both Jordan and James are pretty good.
Good to know.
I'll let @RVHAWKXX in on that, too.

6286c994482ac1ba7de70484929ea065.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT