ADVERTISEMENT

24-25 Season

TritonHawkeye

HR All-State
May 30, 2012
The most likely end of this season is with no coaching changes. I also don't think there will be any transfers or returning seniors using their covid year. The roster before portal add(s) will look like the following:

Pt Sandfort
Brauns
Mulvey
Dix
Bowen
Freeman
Harding
Dembele
Pr Sandfort
Koch
Tadjo

That leaves the portal for addressing needs... What is the number one need to compliment the returners? Should Iowa "Crean" a player or two?

The most likely end of this season is with no coaching changes. I also don't think there will be any transfers or returning seniors using their covid year. The roster before portal add(s) will look like the following:

Pt Sandfort
Brauns
Mulvey
Dix
Bowen
Freeman
Harding
Dembele
Pr Sandfort
Koch
Tadjo

That leaves the portal for addressing needs... What is the number one need to compliment the returners? Should Iowa "Crean" a player or two?
We need to move on from Bowen and go put all our eggs in a PG stud transfer. That change alone makes this an easy NCAA tourney team. I also think Perkins could be talked into coming back.

What happened to Riley Mulvey…

Has he been dealing with chronic injuries or is he simply a recruiting bust?

Either way, seems to be a bust b/c he’s been around what? 3 seasons now?

Reactions: Underscore2
Mulvey and Bowen should leave. I don't think Perk is coming back but just an opinion. If this happens then a PG and a Power forward in the portal.

Reactions: Underscore2

Pt Sandfort
Brauns
Mulvey
Dix
Bowen
Freeman
Harding
Dembele
Pr Sandfort
Koch
Tadjo

Take this years team ...

Subtract PMac, Krikke & Perk. Perk provided a ton of production. The others not so much.

Add Koch, Mulvey and Tadjo. No guards added to the mix ... yet.

Without help from the portal, I don't really see next years team being much different from this years team.

Evan Braun is listed as a senior on the roster from BTT.
Does he have a covid year or a red shirt year?

Love to see a rim protector long big and a solid combo guard added.
But I imagine every team needs that.

Evan Braun is listed as a senior on the roster from BTT.
Does he have a covid year or a red shirt year?

Love to see a rim protector long big and a solid combo guard added.
But I imagine every team needs that.
Yes, Brauns has a Covid year and he said he would take it when he first transferred in.

What happened to Riley Mulvey…

Has he been dealing with chronic injuries or is he simply a recruiting bust?

Either way, seems to be a bust b/c he’s been around what? 3 seasons now?
He was very young when he signed.

He's still growing into his body and the additional 5 inches he's grown.

Edeyish.

Almost totally disagree, just need all current and incoming freshman players to get to work on strength and conditioning

I like our incoming freshmen. But we need some upgrades at Guard and someone else to help Freeman. Bowen is a smallish combo guard that does not shoot well. Pryce has a MAC body and MVC athleticism. He could stick around as a spot up shooter/role player I suppose. Mulvey is a project that does not really fit in Fran’s system.

I like our incoming freshmen. But we need some upgrades at Guard and someone else to help Freeman. Bowen is a smallish combo guard that does not shoot well. Pryce has a MAC body and MVC athleticism. He could stick around as a spot up shooter/role player I suppose. Mulvey is a project that does not really fit in Fran’s system.
Yes, you're correct, Mulvey doesn't really fit in Fran's system, I guess that's why he was redshirted this year so he has 2 years remaining to keep the last seat on Iowa's bench occupied.
All you people out there that believe Riley is a waste of space because he hasn't seen much playing time, well, you're entitled to your opinion like I am mine. Connor, Patrick, the Murray twins, and Rebraca all played his position by Fran for the first 2 years he was at Iowa and for what ever reason Fran decided to hold him out this season.
If he get's playing time next year and provides rebounding along side Owen, that's enough for me to keep him on the roster. I believe he'll provide much more. Give the young man a chance before you discard him because you haven't seen him play extended minutes during his time at Iowa. Some big men just need more time to develop then others, Riley may have fit in that category.

Last edited:
Yes, you're correct, Mulvey doesn't really fit in Fran's system, I guess that's why he was redshirted this year so he has 2 years remaining to keep the last seat on Iowa's bench occupied.
All you people out there that believe Riley is a waste of space because he hasn't seen much playing time, well, you're entitled to your opinion like I am mine. Connor, Patrick, the Murray twins, and Rebraca all played his position by Fran for the first 2 years he was at Iowa and for what ever reason Fran decided to hold him out this season.
If he get's playing time next year and provides rebounding along side Owen, that's enough for me to keep him on the roster. I believe he'll provide much more. Give the young man a chance before you discard him because you haven't seen him play extended minutes during his time at Iowa. Some big men just need more time to develop then others, Riley may have fit in that category.

It’s a valid point of view. I am making some assumptions which may or may not be true. I guess I am in the camp of rolling the dice on a guy who may have more upside.

Reactions: Bierhalter
They absolutely need a point guard and an aircraft carrier at center.
I don’t get this thinking. Harding has proven himself to me at point and Freeman, a center, is a very good shot blocker and was the BTFOY. I think Dembele has played more than well enough to expect him to start and Tadjo is supposed to be a terrific defender and rebounder. He should back up the 4 and Brauns can give good defense substitution minutes. My thinking is that we need a combo guard or small forward to add some quickness and ball handling.

Reactions: Bearhawk0505
We need someone that can score. i do not care if it is a guard or forward. Payton is really the only one that can take it to the basket and a threat outside.

Transfer targets 1 and 2 are Payton and Perkins. Any developmental program needs to start with that in the transfer portal. I'd say we're favored to get Payton back and Perkins is a real toss up.

If Perkins leaves, guard is a priority. I don't think a Harding/Bowen rotation gets it done, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Bowen leave. Perkins + Harding, with a year of development, would be excellent as a guard rotation, especially with Dix and his improved handling at SG.

If we have 2 more slots after that, which depends on who transfers, I'd think we need a starting PF and backup C. I don't think Braun or Mulvey are going to get to that level. Dembele is a fine backup PF if he continues to improve his shot but we're a worse team when he's at C. And I don't think Koch or Tadjo are going to come in ready to start. A 1 year rental at PF who can also play C is probably ideal, but that does mean we have 4 PFs on the roster.

Ideal depth chart is:

Perkins/Harding
Dix/Payton/Pryce
Payton/Koch/Pryce
Transfer/Demebele/Tadjo
Freeman/Transfer/Dembele/Braun or Mulvey

That looks like a top 25 starting 5 with decent depth to me, if Dix and Payton keep playing like they've been playing to close the season and Perkins finds his form again.

Hawk fan in KY here…what happened to Bowen? Did he get hurt? Haven’t seen him on bench or anything? Did he quit the team?
Thanks

Understand your thinking but I do believe that roster would get to 20 wins and finish over .500 in conference play.
Stop! Just stop! I’m begging ya. That roster includes no real point guard, no true center, little athleticism, no mental or physical toughness. Do you really see that line-up beating Iowa State? Purdue? Wisconsin? Any of the PAC-12 newcomers?

With the current coaching staff, that roster does not get to 20 wins — again — or make the NCAA.

As an Iowa alum and fan, I’m embarrassed at the quality of Hawkeye men’s basketball compared to what they’ve put together in three years in Ames or even Drake. #IowaNice

Some of you need to take your blinders off.

As several CryFan posters have said this weekend, Iowa should have made a coaching change years ago.

Stop! Just stop! I’m begging ya. That roster includes no real point guard, no true center, little athleticism, no mental or physical toughness. Do you really see that line-up beating Iowa State? Purdue? Wisconsin? Any of the PAC-12 newcomers?

With the current coaching staff, that roster does not get to 20 wins — again — or make the NCAA.

As an Iowa alum and fan, I’m embarrassed at the quality of Hawkeye men’s basketball compared to what they’ve put together in three years in Ames or even Drake. #IowaNice

Some of you need to take your blinders off.

As several CryFan posters have said this weekend, Iowa should have made a coaching change years ago.
Well they better get to 20 wins. I don't want sit through another selection show knowing I am not going to see Iowa's name.
Gut feeling Hawks are going to be good next year.

I think he had a rough start to the year, but I’d bet his 3 point shooting in Big play was around 40%. He absolutely improved.

Actually 50%, though very low volume. I don’t think he was terrible otherwise but underwhelming. POOR lateral quickness, very limited strength and overall quickness and while gave good effort was not a factor playing defense. Maybe a Kent McCusland spot up shooter role but we need better all around players and we need them quickly.

Actually 50%, though very low volume. I don’t think he was terrible otherwise but underwhelming. POOR lateral quickness, very limited strength and overall quickness and while gave good effort was not a factor playing defense. Maybe a Kent McCusland spot up shooter role but we need better all around players and we need them quickly.
I actually think Pryce will be better than Payton. He's got more guard skills and a better pace.

He flashed some stuff that surprised me but it wasn't frequent so it doesn't surprise me that most people don't think he's very good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT