ADVERTISEMENT

Edit, that call is not going to do Iowa any favors

I hadn’t saw this angle yet. The one on the bottom.

People thought was a bad call because espn during and after the game with SVP kept showing only the 1 angle where lot of viewers like myself thought it was maybe questionable at the time. And of course the 2 UConn homers bird and taurisi thought it was bad but again they only looked at it from one angle. Another thing no one is talking about is bueckers did an awful job of using the screen 2nd time coming back and not rubbing off on edwards as she did initially and getting too wide forcing her to slide up little further creating the moving foul.

But it’s like football showing a replay. Show one angle not quite sure if guy caught it but then show from other angles and it’s pretty obvious. Same to be said for this call.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkMD
A joke of a call and it sucks because Iowa had that play defended well.
This post is grounded in stupidity with no knowledge of the rule. Iowa had it defended well. Call or no call, UCONN get a desperation 3 attempt by Paige with 6'3" Hannah in her face.

Reactions: hawkcub
If that had happened to Iowa, I wouldn't have liked it, but I would also know that it was a foul, although I probably wouldn't admit it, I'd just know it.

The fallacy of the argument that the refs should just let the players play the game out in that situation is that the players are not being allowed to play the game out. That moving screen is not allowing Gabbie to "play out the game". Maybe if Paige runs a tighter rub off the screen, Edwards doesn't have to move out to impede Gabbie. That play is as much on Paige as on Edwards. Play out the game? Yes. But that rubs both ways.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
This post is grounded in stupidity with no knowledge of the rule. Iowa had it defended well. Call or no call, UCONN get a desperation 3 attempt by Paige with 6'3" Hannah in her face.
I think they had Paige covered Steulke had her cut off and would've been able to close. The biggest risk would've been Edwards slipping to the basket. Steulke may have been able to disrupt that pass with her length. I think the most likely outcome is Paige throws up a risky 3.

I think they had Paige covered Steulke had her cut off and would've been able to close. The biggest risk would've been Edwards slipping to the basket. Steulke may have been able to disrupt that pass with her length. I think the most likely outcome is Paige throws up a risky 3.
I believe Jan Jansen mentioned players knew they had a foul so once bueckers stopped would Hannah foul her before a shot? All I know as Iowa fan still would have been nervous as heck with them inbounding and throwing up and make some garbage shot with less than 2 seconds. Seen that story one too many times. Glad refs made the right call.

not necissar
not necessarily. Hawks had a foul to give and a good chance she gets double teamed with the play actually being set up to feed Edwards rolling down the lane. Hawks just give the foul and now there is a second or less on the clock. No way you let that pass to Edwards be made.

People thought was a bad call because espn during and after the game with SVP kept showing only the 1 angle where lot of viewers like myself thought it was maybe questionable at the time. And of course the 2 UConn homers bird and taurisi thought it was bad but again they only looked at it from one angle. Another thing no one is talking about is bueckers did an awful job of using the screen 2nd time coming back and not rubbing off on edwards as she did initially and getting too wide forcing her to slide up little further creating the moving foul.

But it’s like football showing a replay. Show one angle not quite sure if guy caught it but then show from other angles and it’s pretty obvious. Same to be said for this call.

I could be wrong but I didn't hear or see Bird say anything during the Van Pelt interview.

and while you bring up SVP==what a terrible interview with Coach after the game--I get the feeling if it was not required Lisa would have walked off and left him hanging.
Lost a lot of respect for SVP---not sure how much I had to begin with but lost a lot of what I might have had.

Maybe discussed already, but after the game it looked like when Clark met Gino, she seemed to look past him and gave a quick hand shake and sort of left him standing.

That's a pretty obvious and blatant foul. People didn't want that called they better be okay with a defense bumping the shooter in that situation.
All the folks who say the refs shouldn't make that call at the end of the game, are indirectly making the point for it. Refs are not going to blow the whistle at that point unless they really think an infraction has occurred. They must have felt that was a pretty obvious moving screen and one that affected play to make that call.

Even Rebecca Lobo has come around now that emotions have settled a bit.

https://www.on3.com/news/iowa-uconn...liyah-edwards-illegal-screen-final-four-espn/

Last edited:
All the folks who say the refs shouldn't make that call at the end of the game, are indirectly making the point for it. Refs are not going to blow the whistle at that point unless they really think an infraction has occurred. They must have felt that was a pretty obvious moving screen and one that affected play to make that call.

https://www.on3.com/news/iowa-uconn...liyah-edwards-illegal-screen-final-four-espn/
There are absolutely a lot of screens that violate the rules throughout the game. You get called for them when they are really bad. So your feet can be a little too wide, but if they are set you aren't going to get called for the foul. If your base is narrow and your moving a little bit you probably don't get called. You can even initiate a little contact if you are set and your base is narrow.
Every element of the screen was violated in this case. The base was way too wide, she was moving, and she initiated contact.

Lobo hit the nail on the head. Any other point in the game that’s an easy call and no one gives 2 thoughts about it.

Again my biggest complaint no one talking about bueckers doing a piss poor job of using the screener and edwards not only sliding into her extends the elbow making it more obvious. All the people hating on iowa and Clark. They didn’t blow the whistle and if UConn executed their play properly wouldn’t have been an issue. But 2 players screwed up big time on it.

Lobo hit the nail on the head. Any other point in the game that’s an easy call and no one gives 2 thoughts about it.

Again my biggest complaint no one talking about bueckers doing a piss poor job of using the screener and edwards not only sliding into her extends the elbow making it more obvious. All the people hating on iowa and Clark. They didn’t blow the whistle and if UConn executed their play properly wouldn’t have been an issue. But 2 players screwed up big time on it.
Notice how Gabbie immediately knew what the call was. That says something.

There are absolutely a lot of screens that violate the rules throughout the game. You get called for them when they are really bad. So your feet can be a little too wide, but if they are set you aren't going to get called for the foul. If your base is narrow and your moving a little bit you probably don't get called. You can even initiate a little contact if you are set and your base is narrow.
Every element of the screen was violated in this case. The base was way too wide, she was moving, and she initiated contact.
It’d be interesting to know if they would have called it in that moment if Edwards had done only 2 of those things vs. all 3. I’m amazed at how many ppl arguing it wasn’t even a foul at all. C’mon now.

Correct. Bueckers and Edwards blew the play, not the official who correctly made thr call. Bueckers to her credit took responsibility.

Lebron and Reece are being irresponsible and making themselves look ignorant and complainers. Their bad.

A poor man's (woman's) MJ attempt?

20240406-145707.png

20240406-141210.jpg

Reactions: IaHawks03
I'm shamelessly stealing this from another board. Someone termed Edwards' move "The Electric Slide."

Love it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT