ADVERTISEMENT

Edward Snowden

Is Edward Snowden a good citizen or traitor?

• Good citizen

• Traitor

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hero. That was my first reaction and it hasn't changed. I was able to attend an early screening of "Citizenfour" and meet Laura Poitras, journalist and filmmaker, who did a Q & A after the screening.

Anybody else see this documentary film?

I'm in the good citizen camp. I've never really understood the camp that seems to hate whistleblowers. I mean, isn't it a good thing when the lid gets popped off of something illegal that affects U.S. Citizens?

Far too much trust from some people when it comes to the government.
I love whistle blowers but not ones who run to China and Russia and give up national secrets that put Americans in danger. Now had he stayed here, I clearly would have been the hero vote

I love whistle blowers but not ones who run to China and Russia and give up national secrets that put Americans in danger. Now had he stayed here, I clearly would have been the hero vote
I agree with this. I would have been on his side had he not went there. Going to those two countries, makes me think he was doing something he wasn't suppose to.

Why, so he could be a martyr in the United States? The whole, "putting Americans in danger" is a silly talking point from politicians who are pissed that a guy let everyone know they're breaking the law. He didn't put Americans in danger, that's nonsense.

It's always this way with people in power. They use buzz terms that people won't argue against and take at face value.

I agree with this. I would have been on his side had he not went there. Going to those two countries, makes me think he was doing something he wasn't suppose to.

He went to those countries because they wouldn't extradite him to get murdered here in the good ole US of A.

Reactions: moral_victory
Why, so he could be a martyr in the United States? The whole, "putting Americans in danger" is a silly talking point from politicians who are pissed that a guy let everyone know they're breaking the law. He didn't put Americans in danger, that's nonsense.

It's always this way with people in power. They use buzz terms that people won't argue against and take at face value.

If he stays here and gets captured we would not have heard a peep from him. Only the word of the trust worthy government spying and collecting data on their citizens.

Hero. That was my first reaction and it hasn't changed. I was able to attend an early screening of "Citizenfour" and meet Laura Poitras, journalist and filmmaker, who did a Q & A after the screening.

I see that it is on HBO go. I'll give it a watch tonight.

Something in the neighborhood of 98.5% Good Citizen, 1.5% criminal. And honestly, the 1.5% criminal part, it's probably not enough to actually charge him and put him on trial. Considering that much of what was exposed has been shown to not be exactly on the up and up, that overrides what little he did that was actually wrong.

He is a good citizen that made the mistake of running to Russia. I would allow him back in and forgo prosecution if he in turn would help American intelligence with any issues they might have in regard to his reveals.

He is a good citizen that made the mistake of running to Russia. I would allow him back in and forgo prosecution if he in turn would help American intelligence with any issues they might have in regard to his reveals.

That's pretty much my 1.5%.

The funny thing about that is he was just trying to take a connecting flight to another country when the US trapped him in Russia. It wasn't like he specifically wanted to go to Russia, whats sad is that the US even forced the leader of a sovereign nation's plane down(while the leader was on it too) so it could be searched by the US for Snowden because Snowden applied for Asylum at that nation.

That's pretty much my 1.5%.

Yep. Definitely recommend it.

I read Greenwald's No Place to Hide and Harding's The Snowden Files when they came out (before Citizen Four). Mandatory reading.

I assume everybody recognizes Greenwald's name. For those who don't recognize Harding, he works for the Guardian. Greenwald and Poitras and Guardian reporter MacAskill went to Hong Kong on the Guardian's dime.

Last edited:
The funny thing about that is he was just trying to take a connecting flight to another country when the US trapped him in Russia. It wasn't like he specifically wanted to go to Russia, whats sad is that the US even forced the leader of a sovereign nation's plane down(while the leader was on it too) so it could be searched by the US for Snowden because Snowden applied for Asylum at that nation.
Exactly right.

Snowden had a lot of options besides going to Russia. The company you keep is a reflection of you. Snowden chose to hide in the shadow of a brutal dictator. A brutal dictator who kills people who share secrets and dare to print the truth in newspapers. He isn't a hero.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Snowden had a lot of options besides going to Russia. The company you keep is a reflection of you. Snowden chose to hide in the shadow of a brutal dictator. A brutal dictator who kills people who share secrets and dare to print the truth in newspapers. He isn't a hero.
What options?

What other options that wouldn't succumb to the United States pressure to extradite. Only two that pop off in my head are Russia and China... oh wait.

If I'm not mistaken, he was trying to get to Ecuador, via Russia and Cuba, and ended up getting stuck in Russia because his passport was cancelled.

He was trying to avoid extradition to the US and that was the easiest route to take. Maybe not the route that avoids controversy, but given his circumstances, I'd think not wanting to come back to the US immediately was the most prudent action to take (from his perspective).

What other options that wouldn't succumb to the United States pressure to extradite. Only two that pop off in my head are Russia and China... oh wait.
He had lots of options in the US. A quiet leak via the media. Find a protector in Congress. There are laws designed to protect someone who legitimately leaks things that should be known.
Snowden wanted to be a star.

Reactions: Mattski
When you say "brutal dictator", are you referring to Obama? What administration has been hardest on whistleblowers than Obama, drone assassinator in chief. How have Chelsea Manning and Julian Assange fared under Obama's protection?

When you say "brutal dictator", are you referring to Obama? What administration has been hardest on whistleblowers than Obama, drone assassinator in chief. How have Chelsea Manning and Julian Assange fared under Obama's protection?

I thought he was going to protect whistle blowers?

charliebrownfootballlll.gif

Reactions: Nat Algren
Holder says he provided a public service (the debate and all) but goes on to say the following:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/30/politics/axe-files-axelrod-eric-holder/index.html

"He harmed American interests," said Holder, who was at the helm of the Justice Department when Snowden leaked U.S. surveillance secrets. "I know there are ways in which certain of our agents were put at risk, American relationships with other countries were harmed, our ability to keep the people safe was compromised. There were all kinds of re-dos that had to be put in place as a result of what he did, and while those things were being done we were blind in certain really critical areas. So what he did was not without consequence." Holder

I'll never understand why so many are willing to overlook the damage and then the bastard rubs salt in the wound by going to Russia. I hope he hates it there and stays the rest of his miserable life.

Reactions: Wahawk56
Holder says he provided a public service (the debate and all) but goes on to say the following:

"He harmed American interests," said Holder, who was at the helm of the Justice Department when Snowden leaked U.S. surveillance secrets. "I know there are ways in which certain of our agents were put at risk, American relationships with other countries were harmed, our ability to keep the people safe was compromised. There were all kinds of re-dos that had to be put in place as a result of what he did, and while those things were being done we were blind in certain really critical areas. So what he did was not without consequence." Holder

I'll never understand why so many are willing to overlook the damage and then the bastard rubs salt in the wound by going to Russia. I hope he hates it there and stays the rest of his miserable life.

Our government was the one that hurt those relationships by spying on our allies. I guess gun running Holder would see it differently.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT