ADVERTISEMENT

Eierman Arrested

Well, I've finally seen 'The Barbie Movie' (over 'Oppenheimer'). I watched with my 20-something God daughter, who owns a streaming copy.

I can unequivocally state that only in single scene it implies 'homosexuality' is something that exists in a the Real World. Exactly two males admire Ken as a ploy of stroking his general need to be admired. But Ken is oblivious to any sexual overtone. It's done for comic effect. In no way does it "promote homosexuality." To say it done simply reflects the strength of an aversion held by the one who would assert such.

The 'men' (who are dolls in "Barbie Land") are portrayed as a young girl, who plays with Barbie might see herself (albeit as a boy her own age). That said, I wouldn't characterize it as "stupid" or "feminine." After all she is just a pre-adolescent girl. Rather I would characterize it as overly concerned with others' opinions of themself and how that affects a young girl's self-worth as she matures. In other words, what girls may feel in a patriarchal society, vulnerable.

Members of "The Promise Keepers" are NOT the target audience.

I think it is a very good movie deserving of many awards. I think it will dominate the Oscars. I think it is much written for men as any female of any age.

(Apologies to Jaydin for bumping this thread.)

PS - I miss @natchrlman
I was forced to watch it with the GF. I did it under protest....

I turned out to be an okay movie and I earned good BF points.

I took my daughter to see it. She loved it. I fought hard not to fall asleep. It's a movie about a Barbie Doll world, where Barbie actually meets her "Creator" and she talks about what she wanted Barbie to represent and how it has transitioned over time.

Does it have moments that pretty much call "masculinity" "toxic"? Sure. But, why would you be surprised? Barbie is supposed to be the representative for young girls to dream and, eventually believe, that they can be or do anything. That automatically relegates men to the back seat in many cases.

If you are a "soft" male, some parts may get to you a bit. But, they shouldn't. It's about a fictional world where the Barbies essentially rule the culture and Ken and Barbie get a slight taste of the "Real World" with Barbie eventually wanting to be a real woman and Ken wanting to bring back a small part of "masculinity" that is immediately deemed "toxic" and pretty much catastrophic to the Barbie World(he and the men essentially lead a coup, taking over Barbie World until Barbie comes back and gets the girls together to take it right back).

Needless to say, Ken and the men he influences end up getting firmly put back into their place and Barbie gets to become "real". Some of the overtones are probably closer to R than PG-13, and I think the movie is geared more towards young adults than children, but it is innocent enough for most girls that don't see things as women vs. men...

I took my daughter to see it. She loved it. I fought hard not to fall asleep. It's a movie about a Barbie Doll world, where Barbie actually meets her "Creator" and she talks about what she wanted Barbie to represent and how it has transitioned over time.

Does it have moments that pretty much call "masculinity" "toxic"? Sure. But, why would you be surprised? Barbie is supposed to be the representative for young girls to dream and, eventually believe, that they can be or do anything. That automatically relegates men to the back seat in many cases.

If you are a "soft" male, some parts may get to you a bit. But, they shouldn't. It's about a fictional world where the Barbies essentially rule the culture and Ken and Barbie get a slight taste of the "Real World" with Barbie eventually wanting to be a real woman and Ken wanting to bring back a small part of "masculinity" that is immediately deemed "toxic" and pretty much catastrophic to the Barbie World(he and the men essentially lead a coup, taking over Barbie World until Barbie comes back and gets the girls together to take it right back).

Needless to say, Ken and the men he influences end up getting firmly put back into their place and Barbie gets to become "real". Some of the overtones are probably closer to R than PG-13, and I think the movie is geared more towards young adults than children, but it is innocent enough for most girls that don't see things as women vs. men...
Spoiler Alert like a Sombitch! 😆 🤣

Glad you went with your daughter.

Reactions: MSU158
Spoiler Alert like a Sombitch! 😆 🤣

Glad you went with your daughter.
Admittedly, I took some liberties assuming my target audience, along with how long the movie has been out for, would make "spoilers" not really a thing in this case.

If you were really wanting to see the movie and my synopsis spoiled it for any of you, I SINCERELY apologize!

I hope your Holiday Season has gone exceedingly well so far and continues throughout the rest...

Dang dude!

I remember when my brother came into the living room and told me that Mel Gibson died at the end of Braveheart when I was halfway through it. Ruined the movie for me. 27 years ago and it still pisses me off..

Dang dude!

I remember when my brother came into the living room and told me that Mel Gibson died at the end of Braveheart when I was halfway through it. Ruined the movie for me. 27 years ago and it still pisses me off..
Sorry, I figured a site dedicated to Iowa Hawkeye wrestling would be about the safest place to talk about a movie about Barbie, that has been out for months. If I was wrong I apologize! ;)

Oh, and Braveheart was, and still is, my favortie movie. I probably watched that movie well over 100 times while I was at MSU...

“Well you know he’s dead right!?!”exact words of a buddy of mine when I said I was thinking of going to see it at the movies. Needless to say, I still havent seen sixth sense yet

• Haha
Reactions: WildTurk and el dub
Dang dude!

Every 10 year old knows William Wallace was drawn and quartered. Dumb dumb. Now back to the kitchen and bake everyone some cookies. Tollhouse please.

Reactions: el dub
Not much happening there on the wrestling chat, but I will sign in if you guys think its worthwhile
If there is a wrestling board there, I haven't been to it in months.

There are a couple wrestling threads, but not much serious discussion. Of course, this place is a shell of it's former self too

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT