ADVERTISEMENT

Electric car owners and enthusiasts, prepare yourself for the problem in your future.

shocked-surprised.gif

yes, there is a bit you need to investigate before buying a used electric vehicle, and the availability of batteries is near the top of that list.
Seems like the cost of replacing the batteries, and the frequency/likelihood of having to make that repair, would be key things to investigate before buying a used early-gen electric vehicle - esp from a Big 3 like Ford that hadn't traditionally been in that market.

Seems like the cost of replacing the batteries, and the frequency/likelihood of having to make that repair, would be key things to investigate before buying a used early-gen electric vehicle - esp from a Big 3 like Ford that hadn't traditionally been in that market.
Yes, also juxtapose that cost compared to the extra cost of maintenance for a traditional gas engine vehicle.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Yes, also juxtapose that cost compared to the extra cost of maintenance for a traditional gas engine vehicle.
Admittedly, the fact that the batteries aren't even available commercially any more is a bit of a downer. I guess you're left scouring junk yards or buying some other similar model to cannibalize it for it's batteries as your only real options (other than cutting bait and getting a different car).

many electric appliances like hedge trimmers and mowers run off cables, no battery required. electric cars need to go in that direction. if big ass cable spools are a turn-off, incorporate retractable connectors in cars that hook up to power lines and voila shinkansen cars.
:)

• Haha
Reactions: thewop
My sister in law, you dont want pics, has had her car in the shop for two years. Actually two years and two weeks now. Waiting on parts. It’s an ICE Subaru. So is that the death knell for ICE vehicles. It’s sad to see people like OP rooting against progress.

Two years for Subaru parts? That's crazy, even in pandemic times.

I feel bad for your S-I-L and her wife.

My sister in law, you dont want pics, has had her car in the shop for two years. Actually two years and two weeks now. Waiting on parts. It’s an ICE Subaru. So is that the death knell for ICE vehicles. It’s sad to see people like OP rooting against progress.
Maybe you don't get it. I not rooting against progress I'm rooting against claiming we have progress we don't yet have. I will jump at the opportunity to buy an electric veh when it lasts as long as my gas veh, travels as far as my gas engine without prolonged stops and when the batteries are affordable to replace.

When cell phones looked and weighed as much as a brick and needed to be charged every half hour and sounded like you were talking through a mattress, the government didn't try and outlaw landlines. When the cell phone battery got lighter and lasted longer and when the sound quality was equal to a landline and when the phone could offer so many more advantages, everyone wanted to have one.

That's all I'm saying, don't try and force people to buy an EV by making fuel so expensive when the EV's aren't ready for prime time yet.

What’s the use tax going to be when they start charging people for road use instead of gas tax? Through registrations? Odometer reads?

Reactions: KFSuperStar
Maybe you don't get it. I not rooting against progress I'm rooting against claiming we have progress we don't yet have. I will jump at the opportunity to buy an electric veh when it lasts as long as my gas veh, travels as far as my gas engine without prolonged stops and when the batteries are affordable to replace.

When cell phones looked and weighed as much as a brick and needed to be charged every half hour and sounded like you were talking through a mattress, the government didn't try and outlaw landlines. When the cell phone battery got lighter and lasted longer and when the sound quality was equal to a landline and when the phone could offer so many more advantages, everyone wanted to have one.

That's all I'm saying, don't try and force people to buy an EV by making fuel so expensive when the EV's aren't ready for prime time yet.

200.gif

I drive a huge pick up truck that I got a big tax break on because I created a business for the sole purpose of getting tax breaks (F*ck Government and screw paying taxes), I don’t actually use that pick up truck to haul anything, but I just think it makes me look really tough. It gets really shitty gas mileage but I get enough farm subsidies that I don’t really have to work. And I inherited this land from my parents and grandparents and great great grandparents, but I still tell people I work really hard for my money. I also had a friend to modify the carburetor so that I can coal roll all the dipshit antifa gheys who drive electric vehicles. And anyone who disagrees with me. And I have stickers on the back they remind everyone how patriotic I am. And how much I love my guns. And the Bible.

Plenty of idiots swap out their double Denali 8x8 Octocab SUV every 24 months before it loses “value”. Same people will do it with electrics.

you drive an electric long enough to need battery replaces you likely saved a lot of money on car payments.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
I drive a huge pick up truck that I got a big tax break on because I created a business for the sole purpose of getting tax breaks (F*ck Government and screw paying taxes), I don’t actually use that pick up truck to haul anything, but I just think it makes me look really tough. It gets really shitty gas mileage but I get enough farm subsidies that I don’t really have to work. And I inherited this land from my parents and grandparents and great great grandparents, but I still tell people I work really hard for my money. I also had a friend to modify the carburetor so that I can coal roll all the dipshit antifa gheys who drive electric vehicles. And anyone who disagrees with me. And I have stickers on the back they remind everyone how patriotic I am. And how much I love my guns. And the Bible.
I think I might know you…..

I'm very interested in the future possibilities for electric vehicles but I've got more questions (concerns) than answers. Range is one of my big concerns. I would want a range of at least 450 miles even in the most extreme conditions - bitter cold of winter and extreme heat in the summer. Temperature variances no doubt affect range but by how much. Also, what is the battery replacement life and can I expect the same range after 3, 5, or 10 years of repeated recharging? And then there is initial cost to purchase. Electric vehicles are currently cost prohibitive to most buyers.

A quick call to my Ford dealership tells me this story is far from painting an accurate picture. They tell me that today the cheapest in-shop battery replacment cost $1,850 and the most expensive(for a pickup of course) is $4,390. For side of the road replacement add $599 to each. He said that the average age of a battery is 8-10 years, and the newer the better as far as charging life goes. He also added that Ford will offer a replacement warrenty in 2023. So, I guess, I'm still on the 2023 waiting list.

Carburetor. Lol. City folk.

I think I might know you…..
I’m all over the place. There are tens of millions of me. I’m white. And I’m proud. My wife owns pillows that say “home” and similar porch signs and fine art that she bought at hobby lobby, and it has a red white and blue theme. And I attend stop the steal rallies and I go to my evangelical church every Sunday where the preacher calls liberals “demonic”. And i never once read in the Bible that the earth wasn’t our individual “bounty” from god to be harvested and exploited and over which we have Dominion. Or that we should treat non believers or demonic forces with anything but gods terrible swift sword.

come to my church and we will make our battle plan!

I do think the Gov needs to step in and make all manufacturers use a standardized cable/connector vs the variety of stuff being used now. Same with phones... they need to make apple move to USB-C.

Meh. There are literally thousands of different products that require plugging in and have different plugs/adapters.

If you need proof, I have a box in my basement with fully half of the varieties.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT