ADVERTISEMENT

Elephant in the room

Irvin 88

HR All-State
Nov 11, 2017
I heard three (3) different people on podcasts yesterday after the game, make this similar statement...."Let me preface what I am about to say, by stating that I am in no way calling for KF to be on a hotseat or being fired....even if this season completely goes off the rails....he has built up way too much goodwill to be calling for that." My question is, are these individuals sooooo scared to be the first one to God forbid broach the subject that the time may have come to move on from any and everything Ferentz??? I honestly got the feeling with 100% certainty that all three (3) of these individuals wouldn't shed a tear or be upset if he coached his last game this season....you can just tell that those canned statements, were not genuine....they were a way of protecting themselves...nothing more. Not all of us are "all in" anymore with whatever gameplan...or lack thereof...that is thrown out on the field every Saturday. Ferentz fatigue is real with me...has been for about 15 years...the guy never attempts to recruit "next level"....especially at the WR position....Dominique Douglas ruined him forever. His refusal to adapt to the things that are required to reach the next level should be a fireable offense in itself....but when KF's and Barta's expectation is nothing more than winning a waterered down West, I'm not surprised at all that he is still here. He should have been fired in 2014...period.

I heard three (3) different people on podcasts yesterday after the game, make this similar statement...."Let me preface what I am about to say, by stating that I am in no way calling for KF to be on a hotseat or fired....even if this season completely goes off the rails....he has built up way too much goodwill to be calling for that." My question is, are these individuals sooooo scared to be the first one to God forbid broach the subject that the time may have come to move on from any and everything Ferentz??? I honestly got the feeling with 100% certainty that all three (3) of these individuals wouldn't shed a tear or be upset if he coached his last game this season....you can just tell that those canned statements, were not genuine....they were a way of protecting themselves...nothing more. Not all of us are "all in" anymore with whatever gameplan...or lack thereof...that is thrown out on the field every Saturday. Ferentz fatigue is real with me...has been for about 15 years...the guy never attempts to recruit "next level"....especially at the WR position....Dominique Douglas ruined him forever. His refusal to adapt to the things that are required to reach the next level should be a fireable offense in itself....but when his and Barta's expectation is nothing more than winning a waterered down West, I'm not surprised that he is still here. He should have been fired in 2014...period.

Ok....except that from 2015-2021 he's been winning at a level never before seen among the same number of seasons in Iowa football history. Fire him though. After the first game of the 2022 season. FICKLE as FECK.

When 2 of the 3 phases are so good its insane to say we need to move on from everything KF. The O is the obvious problem and the easy solution would be to outsource it to someone who has had proven results....just not sure if Kirk's ego will allow that

If change is coming I absolutely hope we can retain Phil who is only 59. He is the backbone of the program. I'm all for handing it over to Levar if we can keep Phil

If it's Brian I might be all in on the NFL. Sick of being Nepotism U

One game into the season, after a win, with one of the best punters and defensive units in the country, you’re ready to give up EVERYTHING Ferentz.
So in your opinion, who gets credit for the D and special teams? If you’re giving all the blame for the horrible O to KF, shouldn’t he also get credit for the the other two great units?
I get it that you’re upset with the O, rightfully so, but it is a team game where all three phases are important. I’m not making excuses for the O, I’m ready for a change just like everyone else, but there are a ton of injuries at very key positions.
KF definitely has some serious issues to figure out. I’m choosing to remain optimistic. Go Hawks!

I heard three (3) different people on podcasts yesterday after the game, make this similar statement...."Let me preface what I am about to say, by stating that I am in no way calling for KF to be on a hotseat or being fired....even if this season completely goes off the rails....he has built up way too much goodwill to be calling for that." My question is, are these individuals sooooo scared to be the first one to God forbid broach the subject that the time may have come to move on from any and everything Ferentz???
In short - yes

He should have been fired in 2014...period.
That was an excruciating season, for sure. But I'm sure you enjoyed the 2015 season, even if it was the "Fake ID" it proved to be.

KF is never going to be fired, but for me, 2018 should have been his last season. 20 seasons; same as Hayden. I seriously don't think it's been about winning or coaching young men for him since then; it's been more about showing who's boss. The Noah Fant situation proved that to me. The QB debacle we're currently in confirms it. I just can't imagine it's very much fun for him anymore; he just seems angry to me all the time now.

After 2018 the program was still in pretty good shape. He had gifted his kid 2 years of P-5 OC experience for his resume, so he probably could have gotten a MAC head coaching spot right away. Maybe Billy Napier would have come here instead of Louisiana-Lafayette. 2018 is when the portal was implemented, so rebuilding due to the inevitable losses from a coaching change would have been more doable. Who knows what things would look like today, but I know for pretty much certain that the offense wouldn't look like it does now.

I heard three (3) different people on podcasts yesterday after the game, make this similar statement...."Let me preface what I am about to say, by stating that I am in no way calling for KF to be on a hotseat or being fired....even if this season completely goes off the rails....he has built up way too much goodwill to be calling for that." My question is, are these individuals sooooo scared to be the first one to God forbid broach the subject that the time may have come to move on from any and everything Ferentz??? I honestly got the feeling with 100% certainty that all three (3) of these individuals wouldn't shed a tear or be upset if he coached his last game this season....you can just tell that those canned statements, were not genuine....they were a way of protecting themselves...nothing more. Not all of us are "all in" anymore with whatever gameplan...or lack thereof...that is thrown out on the field every Saturday. Ferentz fatigue is real with me...has been for about 15 years...the guy never attempts to recruit "next level"....especially at the WR position....Dominique Douglas ruined him forever. His refusal to adapt to the things that are required to reach the next level should be a fireable offense in itself....but when KF's and Barta's expectation is nothing more than winning a waterered down West, I'm not surprised at all that he is still here. He should have been fired in 2014...period.
I never once read anything from you when Iowa is playing well. I do applaud your ability to finally spell Kirk's last name correctly. What other realistic expectation should a big ten team have than winning their division? Can't win the actual league without doing that first so that seems like a logical starting point. But why do I think anything you say would be based in logic. Do I personally think the offense should have been replaced by the punt team on first down yesterday? Yes. But I'm just a nobody on a message board, same as you. Keep on keeping it nice and level Mr Irvin.

Reactions: owenhawk
The media are p***ies when it comes to KF. That’s why I rarely pay for content. They’re more worried that they might miss out on content that KF is totally confident in Petras than any journalistic integrity.

The media are p***ies when it comes to KF. That’s why I rarely pay for content. They’re more worried that they might miss out on content that KF is totally confident in Petras than any journalistic integrity.
Or their job depends on the access they get and asking some of the "tough questions" the message board warriors think they should ask would come off as totally out of line and get their passes yanked.

Or their job depends on the access they get and asking some of the "tough questions" the message board warriors think they should ask would come off as totally out of line and get their passes yanked.
No, asking tough questions when your offense is one of the worse ones in college football and you hired your son to be OC who has no prior experience that would be warrant getting the job is within reason. This has nothing to do with with message board warriors and everything to do with someone not deserving the job they get and then failing miserably. The coaches should be answering tough questions.

So you would’ve fired the coach a year before the winningest season in school history? GENIUS
You mean the regular season that we followed up by losing 3 of 4??? That smoke and mirrors season??? Was 2015 something special? YES.....but it also helped him throw the dirt off his casket and gave him a lifetime contract....and that was the worst thing that could have happened. BTW, almost EVERYONE wanted him gone following 2014...that is a fact.

Someone should tell Ferentz that what he is doing now is not doing any favors for whoever is gonna take over as a head coach to leave the cupboard bare on the offense side of the ball!

I never once read anything from you when Iowa is playing well. I do applaud your ability to finally spell Kirk's last name correctly. What other realistic expectation should a big ten team have than winning their division? Can't win the actual league without doing that first so that seems like a logical starting point. But why do I think anything you say would be based in logic. Do I personally think the offense should have been replaced by the punt team on first down yesterday? Yes. But I'm just a nobody on a message board, same as you. Keep on keeping it nice and level Mr Irvin.
I just ignore people like "Michael" because like you noted, they absolutely NEVER post anything here of note unless its something critical after a rough day or a loss. Its the "we gotcha crowd".....

One game into the season, after a win, with one of the best punters and defensive units in the country, you’re ready to give up EVERYTHING Ferentz.
So in your opinion, who gets credit for the D and special teams? If you’re giving all the blame for the horrible O to KF, shouldn’t he also get credit for the the other two great units?
I get it that you’re upset with the O, rightfully so, but it is a team game where all three phases are important. I’m not making excuses for the O, I’m ready for a change just like everyone else, but there are a ton of injuries at very key positions.
KF definitely has some serious issues to figure out. I’m choosing to remain optimistic. Go Hawks!
Thank you for pointing this out!

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
I just ignore people like "Michael" because like you noted, they absolutely NEVER post anything here of note unless its something critical after a rough day or a loss. Its the "we gotcha crowd".....
You mean Ferments?

In short - yes

That was an excruciating season, for sure. But I'm sure you enjoyed the 2015 season, even if it was the "Fake ID" it proved to be.

KF is never going to be fired, but for me, 2018 should have been his last season. 20 seasons; same as Hayden. I seriously don't think it's been about winning or coaching young men for him since then; it's been more about showing who's boss. The Noah Fant situation proved that to me. The QB debacle we're currently in confirms it. I just can't imagine it's very much fun for him anymore; he just seems angry to me all the time now.

After 2018 the program was still in pretty good shape. He had gifted his kid 2 years of P-5 OC experience for his resume, so he probably could have gotten a MAC head coaching spot right away. Maybe Billy Napier would have come here instead of Louisiana-Lafayette. 2018 is when the portal was implemented, so rebuilding due to the inevitable losses from a coaching change would have been more doable. Who knows what things would look like today, but I know for pretty much certain that the offense wouldn't look like it does now.
The coaches who are at one place for a very long time inevitably stay too long. Consistently it is so. Combination of age and other factors come into play. I hope that KF doesn't go out like that. But he wouldn't be the first. Fry stayed too long. Snyder stayed too long at K-State, Bowden at FSU. Paterno at PSU. Stoops probably did the right thing leaving Oklahoma when he did. Even Alvarez probably stayed as Wisconsin too long as coach. After his consecutive Rose Bowls in 1999 and 2000, his final teams went 5th, 8th, 8th, 7th, 3rd, 3rd in the Big 10. He did have the good sense to get out after those two straight 3rd place finishes.

That's why most of these situation end terribly. I believe Hayden said he stayed around too long

The coaches who are at one place for a very long time inevitably stay too long. Consistently it is so. Combination of age and other factors come into play. I hope that KF doesn't go out like that. But he wouldn't be the first. Fry stayed too long. Snyder stayed too long at K-State, Bowden at FSU. Paterno at PSU. Stoops probably did the right thing leaving Oklahoma when he did. Even Alvarez probably stayed as Wisconsin too long as coach. After his consecutive Rose Bowls in 1999 and 2000, his final teams went 5th, 8th, 8th, 7th, 3rd, 3rd in the Big 10. He did have the good sense to get out after those two straight 3rd place finishes.
True enough. When their there that long and are successful, nobody wants to force them out. Unfortunately this will probably end ugly. I truly hope it does not, but it seems headed that way....

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Ask Kirk too pointed a question and it might be the last one he answers from that 'journalist'.

How'd it work out for Howard James when he got in Hayden's face?

Actually, unlike many people, these individuals understand an ancient concepts like loyalty. Not only do they realize that Kirk has maintained a fairly high level of play in the BIG for 2 decades, abut that he has been able to do it when other schools who have distinct advantages over Iowa like Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan State, and Michigan have all had some fairly steep ups and downs over that period of time. Then there are the national schools that have done the same as Texas, Notre Dame, USC, Oregon, Florida State, Miami, and Florida just to name a few that have ridden the same roller coaster.
They realize that many of the people who want the flashy new toy have no idea what it takes to sustain a program for 2 decades and are thinking about only what they want.

Reactions: AlvySinger
Actually, unlike many people, these individuals understand an ancient concepts like loyalty. Not only do they realize that Kirk has maintained a fairly high level of play in the BIG for 2 decades, abut that he has been able to do it when other schools who have distinct advantages over Iowa like Illinois, Purdue, Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan State, and Michigan have all had some fairly steep ups and downs over that period of time. Then there are the national schools that have done the same as Texas, Notre Dame, USC, Oregon, Florida State, Miami, and Florida just to name a few that have ridden the same roller coaster.
They realize that many of the people who want the flashy new toy have no idea what it takes to sustain a program for 2 decades and are thinking about only what they want.

NW with no "distinct advantages" under Fitzgerald rig is ht up there with KF in B1G west titles. Other than Wisconsin and NW, the rest of the West is not very good and haven't been very good for long time.

KF has had his stinker seasons...soft schedule moderates the amount of losses he can have in a season. KF is not getting fired, but if his dream is for his son BF to take over the family business, that isn't happening if the offenses continue to be terrible. KF/BF do have some incentive to put out a better offense, the narrative that
they don't care about scoring is silly. They just don't know how to score.

It's amazing we've recruited the wr's that we have. AB and KJ were big time gets, what the hell is going on with KJ is a mystery. Bostick was a good one also and Mota definitely has the speed.

Iowa's problem is recruiting/development at qb and a lot of people think scheme. Maybe the same about the ol but we our so young there.

Kirk Ferentz is a Hall of Fame coach and you dipsticks want him fired AFTER A WIN.

Maybe you should recall that Kirk's best team IMO (2009) needed to block two field goals to beat UNI. That team went on to stomp ISU the next week and win the Orange Bowl and should have gone undefeated had Stanzi not been hurt.

It's bad, but the idea of firing Kirk is stupid.

Agreed, but if KF loves this school then he should be considering the big picture. He should realize that this experiment with his kid as OC is not working! He keeps trying to pound a square into a round hole and if it continues it will end like the HF era. No kid with any offensive skill talent wants to come to this stale, outdated offense. Watching other games this weekend sure was a lot more fun than watching that clown show on Saturday. Gets old listening to the national pundits bash our program over KFs stubbornness to pull the keys from his kid.

Kirk Ferentz is a Hall of Fame coach and you dipsticks want him fired AFTER A WIN.

Maybe you should recall that Kirk's best team IMO (2009) needed to block two field goals to beat UNI. That team went on to stomp ISU the next week and win the Orange Bowl and should have gone undefeated had Stanzi not been hurt.

That was 13 years ago… 13. After 2009 we only finished in the top 25 1 of the next 8 seasons (2015) and had benefited from an extremely weak West division.

The last 4 seasons we have ended up in the top 25 (23, 16, 15, 25). One of the higher being the Covid year which should probably be discounted.

So that means since 2009 we have ended up ranked 5 out of 12 seasons. Only 1 in top 10. Let’s not pretend we have been a juggernaut.

Throw on top the product is boring, I can’t imagine many young people set aside their Saturdays to watch paint dry. We also are at an extreme disadvantage of recruiting any skill players.

it’s a slow death imo

UNI 2009 -

DRINK!

Reactions: 83Hawk
The sad thing is that KF is a Hall of Fame coach whose legacy could be tainted by the Brian/Petras fiasco. If Brian really cared about his dad he would have gone to another FB position last spring. If he wants to be in a meaningful position somewhere else his record of incompetence as OC will not help him. At the very least right now he should go to his dad and say, "we need to make a change at quarterback". God bless Petras for his efforts. He has a great attitude and does all the right things to make himself better. Unfortunately it doesn't play out on gameday.

Somehow the offense has not been recruited and coached up as well as the defense. That is on the head coach and offensive coaches.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
It's amazing we've recruited the wr's that we have. AB and KJ were big time gets, what the hell is going on with KJ is a mystery. Bostick was a good one also and Mota definitely has the speed.

Iowa's problem is recruiting/development at qb and a lot of people think scheme. Maybe the same about the ol but we our so young there.
Coaches seem.to be able to coach up defense. What's that tell you?

They just don't know how to score.
BeavisNeverScored.jpg

Season 11 Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Haha
Reactions: desihawk
When 2 of the 3 phases are so good its insane to say we need to move on from everything KF. The O is the obvious problem and the easy solution would be to outsource it to someone who has had proven results....just not sure if Kirk's ego will allow that

If change is coming I absolutely hope we can retain Phil who is only 59. He is the backbone of the program. I'm all for handing it over to Levar if we can keep Phil

If it's Brian I might be all in on the NFL. Sick of being Nepotism U

Yep. Kirk needs hands off of the offense: philosophy, play calling, PERSONNEL, you name it.

Phil's defense won't change no matter who is controling the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT