ADVERTISEMENT

Empathy for Perry Shooter

There is something deeply wrong with society that causes certain people to do this sort of thing.
Or..... there was something deeply wrong with that individual.

In a population of 332 million people, there are going to be outliers. I'm all for doing more in terms of mental health in this country, but it's impossible to reach everyone. We will always be faced with individuals who cannot be helped.

Reactions: NI hawk
It’s terrible what happened but until we hear the entire story and all the relevant facts, I’m not going to say what I want toward the shooter and his parents. I can’t imagine the sixth graders parents right now and what they are going through sending their child to school and never coming home due to a shooting at school.

I know people don’t want to hear this but we have a mental health issue in this country that must be taken care of first and foremost. It needs to be disgnosed then the guns must be pulled from these homes. If for good, then for good. This has to stop.
We do, but I can’t see a couple hours a week with a counselor tipping the scales from 24/7/365 cell phone use.

Cell phone is the gateway to find reassurance, justification, and encouragement for everything society has to offer. Doesn’t matter what you are searching for eventually you will find a place on the internet where any perverted violent action is celebrated and encouraged.

These people need to be identified and institutionalized until deemed healthy. The guns also need to be removed from their residences.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Feel more sorry for the victims, of course, but also feel bad for the perp. 17 year old kid, dealing with whatever demons possessed him, felt this desperate and took his life…at 17!

Go ahead and take the frequent “that POS deserved to die” position like I heard when I said the same about the Omaha mall shooter years back, but an open heart feels sad for such a young shooter as well.
As a society, if we are ever going to decrease the frequency of such actions, we are going to have to learn empathy toward the perpetrators to find out what is breaking in their brains and working on solutions to fix that.

I have little optimism our society is capable of that, though.

As a society, if we are ever going to decrease the frequency of such actions, we are going to have to learn empathy toward the perpetrators to find out what is breaking in their brains and working on solutions to fix that.

I have little optimism our society is capable of that, though.

there have been numerous studies already and the data it is pretty clear on what is breaking their brains. it’s childhood trauma like bullying, violence in the home, sexual assault, etc. combine that with easy access to weapons and here we are.

basically nobody is doing anything about it.

he shot a 6th grader with a shotgun. i have no sympathy for the shooter and hope he rots in hell
Unless they find out he had same major mental illness going on that something was telling him to shoot up the place. This is the correct answer. Even if he was bullied, how do you go and shoot a 6th grade girl. I highly doubt she was causing him any pain.

We as a society stopped institutionalizing these people and thinking that they could blend in and co-exist in our world. It has proven to be a bad mistake. We need to bring back more MHI type facilities and use them to house people that need it the most.

We as a society stopped institutionalizing these people and thinking that they could blend in and co-exist in our world. It has proven to be a bad mistake. We need to bring back more MHI type facilities and use them to house people that need it the most.
40 years later, still paying the price for Ronald Reagan's very worst idea.

In Iowa, that was a Terry Branstad, Governor decision as he felt Iowa could no longer afford to keep the criminally insane locked up....but at least we have been able to cut income taxes back and save those who make money more money...I’m sure the Farm Bureau is working on the mental health problem as we type.

In Iowa, that was a Terry Branstad, Governor decision as he felt Iowa could no longer afford to keep the criminally insane locked up....but at least we have been able to cut income taxes back and save those who make money more money...I’m sure the Farm Bureau is working on the mental health problem as we type.
I think the more and more problems we have as a society, the more bi-party support you are going to get. Don't confuse niceness/kindness with love.

I think the more and more problems we have as a society, the more bi-party support you are going to get. Don't confuse niceness/kindness with love.
Hey.understand why mental health in Iowa has taken a hit....it has a lot to do with Republicans, named Branstad and Reynolds. And unfortunately, I disagree that bipartisanship will solve these issues....Iowa Republicans don’t give a shit what Dems feel important and right now they have the numbers to ram their agenda down the throats of all Iowans.
Honest to God....giving tax money to parochial and private schools.....that is a travesty!

It’s amazing to see the calls for empathy and civility come from the same people that constantly trash posters like Trad on here (I mean, it’s fun as hell so I kind of get it).

Feel more sorry for the victims, of course, but also feel bad for the perp. 17 year old kid, dealing with whatever demons possessed him, felt this desperate and took his life…at 17!

Go ahead and take the frequent “that POS deserved to die” position like I heard when I said the same about the Omaha mall shooter years back, but an open heart feels sad for such a young shooter as well.
He killed a 6th grader. Wtf is wrong with you?

It’s amazing to see the calls for empathy and civility come from the same people that constantly trash posters like Trad on here (I mean, it’s fun as hell so I kind of get it).

Maybe I should be nicer to him so he doesn't also become a school shooter.

@The Tradition you are special just the way you are, sport.

Reactions: BelemNole
We do, but I can’t see a couple hours a week with a counselor tipping the scales from 24/7/365 cell phone use.

Cell phone is the gateway to find reassurance, justification, and encouragement for everything society has to offer. Doesn’t matter what you are searching for eventually you will find a place on the internet where any perverted violent action is celebrated and encouraged.

These people need to be identified and institutionalized until deemed healthy. The guns also need to be removed from their residences.
Your last sentence is why we can’t have nice things on the mental health front. Mental health isn’t like getting the flu or breaking your leg. It doesn’t suddenly come on, get treatment and go away. There’s also a massive spectrum of issues and I’m a big believer that if we can normalize mental health care, we’ll help people earlier and prevent some of the bigger issues later (suicide, lashing out, etc). I’ve been seeing a therapist for 6 months and it’s helping a lot. I wasn’t suicidal, I wasn’t about to break down and harm people….but I wasn’t going in a good direction mentally and hadn’t been for a long time.

The idea that we need “more mental health focus” and “these people need to be identified and institutionalized until deemed healthy” show that we’re really not where we need to be with regard to understanding the underlying issues.

there have been numerous studies already and the data it is pretty clear on what is breaking their brains. it’s childhood trauma like bullying, violence in the home, sexual assault, etc. combine that with easy access to weapons and here we are.

basically nobody is doing anything about it.
This is where the empathy for the shooter comes in. It’s not “oh, poor guy, he has issues, so this was ok”. Shooting up his school was not ok. Killing a 6th grader was not ok. Sympathy/empathy isn’t about what happened during/after the shooting, it’s sympathy/empathy for understanding that this was a 17 year old who was mentally/emotionally broken already. I’m sad that this kid didn’t get the help he needed to keep him from getting to where he was yesterday.

There is something deeply wrong with American society that causes certain people to do this sort of thing.
FIFY, just needed an additional word added. It's key though, because this stuff doesn't happen in other societies near as much as it does here. And I don't think that can just be glossed over when discussing the issue.

Reactions: Ree4 and torbee

Jfc, are you serious? If he'd have just offered himself, absolutely. But he killed a 12 year old kid, wounded a half dozen others and probably mentally damaged another 5 dozen more for decades to come. I don't feel bad for someone who possesses the evil to do this, no matter the reason you might try to justify ot with.

**** anyone who does this or thinks like you. How sick in the head are you to have empathy for that POS whacko coward?

Jfc, are you serious? If he'd have just offered himself, absolutely. But he killed a 12 year old kid, wounded a half dozen others and probably mentally damaged another 5 dozen more for decades to come. I don't feel bad for someone who possesses the evil to do this, no matter the reason you might try to justify ot with.
“Feeling bad for” and “empathy” are not the same thing.

Reactions: gohawks50
**** anyone who does this or thinks like you. How sick in the head are you to have empathy for that POS whacko coward?
He likely wasn’t born as a “POS whacko coward”. While predicting something as extreme as this is really hard as millions of kids get treated poorly/bullied to varying extents and maybe tens wind up resorting to significant violence, I’d be pretty surprised if there were no signs at all that this kid was struggling with mental health. Nobody goes from fine to shooting up a school because they had a bad day. This kid has likely needed help for years. That’s where the empathy comes in - I’m sad that he didn’t get what he needed at 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 so that he wouldn’t have been in the position he was in yesterday.

He likely wasn’t born as a “POS whacko coward”. While predicting something as extreme as this is really hard as millions of kids get treated poorly/bullied to varying extents and maybe tens wind up resorting to significant violence, I’d be pretty surprised if there were no signs at all that this kid was struggling with mental health. Nobody goes from fine to shooting up a school because they had a bad day. This kid has likely needed help for years. That’s where the empathy comes in - I’m sad that he didn’t get what he needed at 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 so that he wouldn’t have been in the position he was in yesterday.
Type as much and as long as you want. As I said screw anyone who kills an innocent 6th grade girl. You really look like a dumbass trying to make a murderer be the victim. Everyone has been bullied at some point and has problems in their life, only a very very small fraction kill innocent people because of it. "Dylan" is burning.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Unless they find out he had same major mental illness going on that something was telling him to shoot up the place. This is the correct answer. Even if he was bullied, how do you go and shoot a 6th grade girl. I highly doubt she was causing him any pain.

I believe I read some comments earlier today from the shooter's friends that his younger sister was also being bullied and that certainly opens up the possibility that the 6th grade victim was his sister's tormenter. I don't think he just shot her randomly, just guessing here.

I believe I read some comments earlier today from the shooter's friends that his younger sister was also being bullied and that certainly opens up the possibility that the 6th grade victim was his sister's tormenter. I don't think he just shot her randomly, just guessing here.
Only thing that makes me think that wasn't random, is that there have been reports the 6th grader was shot 2x in the head. Odd if it were random shooting at whatever kids he happened upon.

Type as much and as long as you want. As I said screw anyone who kills an innocent 6th grade girl. You really look like a dumbass trying to make a murderer be the victim. Everyone has been bullied at some point and has problems in their life, only a very very small fraction kill innocent people because of it. "Dylan" is burning.
We can say “screw that guy” and forget the whole thing or we can try to figure out how we can do better so maybe we can stop the next school shooting. It’s not about this kid being a victim, it’s about acknowledging that this kid was broken years ago and never got the help he needed to take a different course.

We can “tough guy“ it and just say be better or we can actually try to find some of these kids where they are and get involved before blood is shed. It’s our choice.

We can say “screw that guy” and forget the whole thing or we can try to figure out how we can do better so maybe we can stop the next school shooting. It’s not about this kid being a victim, it’s about acknowledging that this kid was broken years ago and never got the help he needed to take a different course.

We can “tough guy“ it and just say be better or we can actually try to find some of these kids where they are and get involved before blood is shed. It’s our choice.
I never said forget the whole thing. I agree with you in the fact that signs had to be missed. I obviously ultimately blame the killer. What about the family?... Friends?... Teachers? Who else shares responsibility in this tragedy? It's a sad world we live in, when this type of event becomes almost normalized and I think all of society gets some part of blame. The fact is though this coward premeditated this heinous crime and went through with it, that person is 100% responsible.

Hey.understand why mental health in Iowa has taken a hit....it has a lot to do with Republicans, named Branstad and Reynolds. And unfortunately, I disagree that bipartisanship will solve these issues....Iowa Republicans don’t give a shit what Dems feel important and right now they have the numbers to ram their agenda down the throats of all Iowans.
Honest to God....giving tax money to parochial and private schools.....that is a travesty!
Tell me you are in a cult without telling me...

Reactions: okcpokefan12
I never said forget the whole thing. I agree with you in the fact that signs had to be missed. I obviously ultimately blame the killer. What about the family?... Friends?... Teachers? Who else shares responsibility in this tragedy? It's a sad world we live in, when this type of event becomes almost normalized and I think all of society gets some part of blame. The fact is though this coward premeditated this heinous crime and went through with it, that person is 100% responsible.
My main point is that I have empathy for broken kids who have been failed by the adults around them. That doesn’t mean I don’t blame them for the act or that they shouldn’t bear full responsibility for their actions, but I will probably always have empathy for emotionally broken kids.

Reactions: Joes Place
Only thing that makes me think that wasn't random, is that there have been reports the 6th grader was shot 2x in the head. Odd if it were random shooting at whatever kids he happened upon.
I thought there were only a few kids there, as it was before school starts. I thought something about a few kids that came early for breakfast, plus the staff. Unlucky kids who showed up early for something to eat...

• Sad
Reactions: GOHOX69
I for one wish they hadn't done themselves in, I preferred they went to trial and then to prison for however long they would have lasted in the joint.

This alphabet society that is being created breeds these monsters.
Yeah, it's only recently that these monsters are being created.

Tell me again about the historical number of serial killers versus recent numbers.

Still butthurt over the school vouchers I see.

Things like what happened in Perry don't happen at private schools, all the more reason to pull your kids out of the failing Iowa Public School system.

Leave the public schools to their furries and teachers who turn a blind eye toward bullying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT