ADVERTISEMENT

End property tax at 65:

Saw the idea on the Interwebs. The idea being to keep seniors in their homes.

I like the idea that once your mortgage is paid off you don't pay property tax. If you own something you own it.

Maybe . . . maybe up to a certain amount of value AND only if they are living in that home.

But only the over 65 part if all the owners are over 65. If you are able to buy a house outright with cash or if you are able to pay off your mortgage fast you shouldn't get rewarded with more breaks for being wealthier then most.

John Candy No GIF by Laff

I’m a senior and I don’t agree. Our demographics in Florida would mean a drastic reduction in revenue and it’s not sustainable.
As a senior I still use the roads, expect police protection, visit a library, etc. so why wouldn’t I expect to keep pitching my pennies into the pot?

I’m a senior and I don’t agree. Our demographics in Florida would mean a drastic reduction in revenue and it’s not sustainable.
As a senior I still use the roads, expect police protection, visit a library, etc. so why wouldn’t I expect to keep pitching my pennies into the pot?

Because generally speaking the elderly population does not use those services as much as the average person.

That won’t be good for the schools, local roads, count roads, and a dozen other things.

Also be an easy way to dodge taxes. Put your lake home in your mother’s name to avoid taxes.

IMO you get a pretty good bang for your buck in local taxes. The bike trail system in central Iowa is a great example.

If old people don't want to pay property taxes they can sell their home and move into a managed independent living facility. Everybody wants all the services but nobody wants to pay for them.

Florida offers an additional $25,000 homestead exemption for over 65, with an earned income test. That's in addition to the $25,000 homestead exemption for a primary residence. That's in addition to a cap on appraised taxable value after purchase.

The latter is another reason why people buying a house before 2020 in Florida won't be in a hurry to buy another house in Florida. That $250K house bought in 2018 now goes for over $400K with a new property tax basis. Stay in the $250K house and property tax basis increase is limited to 3% per year.

Last edited:
No, from what I can tell they drive their golf carts around to each others' homes all day and have STD-laden sex with each other. 👴🍆 👵🍑 💉 😁
Yuk. Those Florida transplants from up north can’t stop plowing and seeding once they leave the cornfields can they? I wonder if the sexy talk goes like this: Oh baby, come here and let me shuck YOUR corncob…are you Iowans getting hot and bothered? 🌽😬
I drove (crept along in the left lane) through the Villages ONCE. What was funny is that the Catholic Church was so enormous and elaborate. They probably had a covered walkway in the back out of the sun to shade those old farts in line for confession. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: NDallasRuss
Why can't local communities just forgive the cost of services like jo did with student loans?!?! WIN!

If old people don't want to pay property taxes they can sell their home and move into a managed independent living facility. Everybody wants all the services but nobody wants to pay for them.
And those places are very expensive by the way. And Fire and Rescue are there every other day on a 911 call too. Another taxpayer funded service.

Yuk. Those Florida transplants from up north can’t stop plowing and seeding once they leave the cornfields can they? I wonder if the sexy talk goes like this: Oh baby, come here and let me shuck YOUR corncob…are you Iowans getting hot and bothered? 🌽😬
I drove (crept along in the left lane) through the Villages ONCE. What was funny is that the Catholic Church was so enormous and elaborate. They probably had a covered walkway in the back out of the sun to shade those old farts in line for confession. 😂
Let's just say Goldies Key set is well known in the area.

Let's just say Goldies Key set is well known in the area.
Really? I have a key? I don’t recall where I set it down , 😂
Hot 75 year old men? There aren’t any. They wouldn’t remember where that “key” is either.

At this age they have dinner at 4:30 and hit the hay - alone - by 8PM. And they don’t remember where they put their blue pills either.

Reactions: seminoleed
And those places are very expensive by the way. And Fire and Rescue are there every other day on a 911 call too. Another taxpayer funded service.
Yeah, you're right. Getting rid of property taxes for old people is stupid.

Really? I have a key? I don’t recall where I set it down , 😂
Hot 75 year old men? There aren’t any. They wouldn’t remember where that “key” is either.

At this age they have dinner at 4:30 and hit the hay - alone - by 8PM. And they don’t remember where they put their blue pills either.
So you are telling me 7pm is the magic hour!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT