ADVERTISEMENT

End property tax at 65:

Here is what they do in Colorado and I think it is a pretty good compromise. We will turn 65 a year before we are here full time for 10 years so it wouldn't help us in the beginning.

The senior property tax exemption is available to senior citizens and the surviving spouses of senior citizens. The state reimburses the local governments for the loss in revenue. When the State of Colorado’s budget allows, 50 percent of the first $200,000 of actual value of the qualified applicant’s primary residence is exempted.

For the purpose of the exemption, a primary residence is the place where an individual is registered to vote.

An applicant or married couple may apply for the exemption on only one property. Married couples and individuals who apply for this exemption and/or the disabled veteran exemption on multiple properties will be denied the exemption on each property. Two individuals who are legally married, and who own more than one piece of residential real property, shall be deemed to occupy the same primary residence and may claim no more than one exemption.

If an applicant owns multiple-dwelling units in which the applicant occupies one of the units, an exemption will be allowed only with respect to the dwelling unit that the applicant occupies as his or her primary residence.

No more than one exemption per tax year shall be allowed for a residential property, even if one or more of the owner-occupiers qualify for both the senior exemption and the disabled veteran exemption.

Any applicant who attempts to claim exemption on more than one property, knowingly provides false information on an exemption application, or fails to provide notice to the county assessor of any change in the ownership or occupancy of a property within 60 days of such occurrence will be subject to the penalties prescribed by law.

Eligibility Requirements​

Basic Requirements of a Qualifying Senior Citizen​

A qualifying senior citizen is a person who meets each of the following requirements:

• The applicant is at least 65 years old on January 1 of the year in which he/she applies; and
  • The applicant or his/her spouse is the property owner of record and has owned the property for at least 10 consecutive years prior to January 1; and
  • The applicant occupies the property as his/her primary residence, and has done so for at least 10 consecutive years prior to January 1.

Basic Requirements of the Surviving Spouse of an eligible Senior Citizen​

The surviving spouse of an eligible senior citizen is a person who meets all of the following requirements:

• The surviving spouse was legally married to a senior citizen who met the age, occupancy, and ownership requirements on any January 1 since January 1, 2002; and
  • The surviving spouse has not remarried; and
  • The surviving spouse occupied the residential property with the eligible senior citizen as his or her primary residence and still occupies the same property.

Exceptions to the Basic Requirements​

An applicant may still qualify if the ownership and/or occupancy requirements cannot be met for any of the following reasons:

• Title to the property is held in a trust, corporate partnership or other legal entity solely for estate planning purposes. The maker of the trust must be the qualifying senior or his or her spouse.
  • The qualifying senior, spouse, or surviving spouse is/was confined to a hospital, nursing home, or assisted living facility.
  • The prior home was condemned by a governmental entity in an eminent domain proceeding, or was sold to such an entity on threat such action.
  • The prior home was destroyed or otherwise rendered uninhabitable by a natural disaster.

Application Process​

There are two application forms for the senior property tax exemption. The Short Form is for applicants who meet the basic eligibility requirements. The Long Form is for surviving spouses of eligible seniors and for applicants who may qualify under the exceptions to the basic requirements. Both forms are available from the county assessor’s office.

Completed applications should be submitted to the assessor on or before July 15 of the year for which exemption is requested. If the application is not filed by July 15, the assessor must accept late applications through August 15, but late applicants will not have appeal rights for an application filed after July 15.

Completed applications are confidential unless required for evidence in a legal proceeding or administrative hearing. In no event will Social Security numbers be divulged.

Once an exemption application is filed and approved, the exemption remains in effect until a disqualifying event occurs. By law, any change in the ownership or occupancy of the property must be reported within 60 days of such occurrence.

Any applicant who attempts to claim exemption on more than one property, knowingly provides false information on an exemption application, or fails to provide notice of any change in the ownership or occupancy of a property will be subject to the penalties prescribed by law.

County Assessor’s Review​

The senior property tax exemption will only be granted to those who meet the qualifications and have timely filed an application.

If the applicant filed before July 15 and the exemption is denied, the assessor must mail a statement explaining the reason(s) for the denial by August 1. No later than August 15, the applicant may file an appeal and request a hearing before the county board of equalization. The hearing must be held between August 1 and September 1. The final decision of the county board may not be appealed.

Property Tax Administrator’s Review​

The Property Tax Administrator (PTA) analyzes annual reports submitted by each county to determine if any applicants have claimed more than one exemption in Colorado.

No later than November 1, the Property Tax Administrator denies the exemption of any applicant claiming multiple exemptions. Applicants denied the exemption may file a written protest with the PTA no later than November 15. If the protest is denied, the PTA provides a written statement of the basis for the denial.

Applicants have the right to appeal the Property Tax Administrator’s decision to the Board of Assessment Appeals within 30 days of the date of the decision, § 39-2-125(1)(b), C.R.S.

I seriously question how stupid some people must be. How are roads, bridges, sewers,food inspectors, law enforcement, schools, sidewalks, street lights, etc paid for ? If you don't use any of those, fine don't pay taxes, but you might as well move to a 3rd world country.
True, but at the same time certain local government officials do nothing but clamor about " affordable " housing when in fact land, roads, sidewalks, sewer, water, internet lines, infrastructure, permits, blueprints, inspections, materials, labor and profit costs money. If you can't afford it move to Mexico?

Really? I have a key? I don’t recall where I set it down , 😂
Hot 75 year old men? There aren’t any. They wouldn’t remember where that “key” is either.

At this age they have dinner at 4:30 and hit the hay - alone - by 8PM. And they don’t remember where they put their blue pills either.
WTF? I cycle with guys over 70 that are ripped as ****. Last week in a bar after a ride, Tim [73] got into a conflict with a 20something over his biking shorts. When he stood up and asked the child, "how would you like to have your buddies see you get your ass kicked by a guy on social security," he just melted away like the HROT punks do when braced.

Could just move to Alabama or Louisiana where property taxes are so low you wouldn't even notice.

Just looked it up and Iowa was 9th highest, yikes. At least we're not Illinois at #2.
Beaner….what the hell else you gonna tax in Iowa besides property? Income, sales……and property. Wed have no real tourist business……gambling, liquor and other sins, to a point…..we dont tax farmers because…..they have the money and they have the influence (Farm Bureau)…..we have a stable, non-growth population and have had that for most of my 75 years…..meanwhile, Minnesota taxes folks…and keeps on growing population-wise and economically….Iowa lags compared to most of its neighbors…..and Kim is convinced its because out taxes are too high……when compared to the rest of the US, Iowa’s total taxes rank us about in the middle (until the recent state income tax cut)….Individually, the rates might not compare favorably (low) but as a package, Iowa is about right in the middle.

Property taxes don't play a part in that but you probably know that already...
Well, yes, but the post I responded to just referred to “taxes”.

And the general theme I’m pointing out here is that everyone loves reduced taxes, but no one ties that to reduced services.

I’m a senior and I don’t agree. Our demographics in Florida would mean a drastic reduction in revenue and it’s not sustainable.
As a senior I still use the roads, expect police protection, visit a library, etc. so why wouldn’t I expect to keep pitching my pennies into the pot?
I agree. In Florida, there is already a property tax exemption for low-income seniors. If you qualify for this, there is also an exemption for long-term residents. These exemptions help out the ones that need it the most.

Reactions: goldmom
WTF? I cycle with guys over 70 that are ripped as ****. Last week in a bar after a ride, Tim [73] got into a conflict with a 20something over his biking shorts. When he stood up and asked the child, "how would you like to have your buddies see you get your ass kicked by a guy on social security," he just melted away like the HROT punks do when braced.
Eeeww. Motorcycle guys at 70+? Still going to bars and acting like tough guys? Probably still smoke? Ugh. Not my type.

Eeeww. Motorcycle guys at 70+? Still going to bars and acting like tough guys? Probably still smoke? Ugh. Not my type.
Dumb bitch........we cycle, like on bicycles before E-bikes became the latest in pussy wear! Think thighs, core and lungs........

I fully support a plan that would significantly reduce that burden for seniors.

Of course you would. Free lunch for...oh no!!!!!!

Nobody should be given a free ride. Goddam freeloaders looking for handouts, right Northern?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Of course you would. Free lunch for...oh no!!!!!!

Nobody should be given a free ride. Goddam freeloaders looking for handouts, right Northern?
Get on your knees in the mud, marxist, and put your hands behinds yours head!

Americans over age 70 have over 30% of this nations wealth. So yes give them another tax break. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...over-70-hold-more-than-30-of-household-wealth
And some of us Boomers inherited a little from our parents, who were hard working survivors of WWII and the Depression. They taught us well by example.
We’re just under 20% of the population and nearly 25% of us still have at least a part time job. We hope to have a little something to leave our kids when we go or at least have the financial ability to pay for our last years if we need help without being a burden to them.

Pass. The elderly population is only increasing, and younger Americans control a minority of the nations wealth.

Americans 55 and older control 2/3 of the country’s wealth, while those 70+ control 1/3.

Pass. The elderly population is only increasing, and younger Americans control a minority of the nations wealth.

Americans 55 and older control 2/3 of the country’s wealth, while those 70+ control 1/3.
It only makes sense that those who have been in the workforce the longest have more savings.
There is a benefit to having a job. 🙄

Beaner….what the hell else you gonna tax in Iowa besides property? Income, sales……and property. Wed have no real tourist business……gambling, liquor and other sins, to a point…..we dont tax farmers because…..they have the money and they have the influence (Farm Bureau)…..we have a stable, non-growth population and have had that for most of my 75 years…..meanwhile, Minnesota taxes folks…and keeps on growing population-wise and economically….Iowa lags compared to most of its neighbors…..and Kim is convinced its because out taxes are too high……when compared to the rest of the US, Iowa’s total taxes rank us about in the middle (until the recent state income tax cut)….Individually, the rates might not compare favorably (low) but as a package, Iowa is about right in the middle.
I didn't say they shouldn't have property taxes, was simply letting people know where they could move if they don't like ours here. Found it interesting where we rank in the country and thought I'd share.

As far where we are in total state taxes, we're not in the middle we're 40th out of 51 when you include DC. 25 would be middle, so we are quite a bit higher. (stats are linked below)

Personally I don't mind, I wouldn't move out of Iowa for anything. Well maybe for a few million bucks if someone wanted to send that my way!

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/states-with-the-lowest-taxes

Really? I have a key? I don’t recall where I set it down , 😂
Hot 75 year old men? There aren’t any. They wouldn’t remember where that “key” is either.

At this age they have dinner at 4:30 and hit the hay - alone - by 8PM. And they don’t remember where they put their blue pills either.
This is partially true, but there is a qualifier. The Cape Coral/Fort Myers area has literally scores of restaurants, almost all of which are wonderful, both in food and service. It's one of the big factors in Mrs. NoPics and I moving from Atlanta to down here when we retired. But during season, when all the Damn Yankees (but I repeat myself) are here, if you aren't in line or seated by 4:30, you're in for a very long wait and every place. It's a bit of a hassle, as I don't like to eat dinner that early, but the food makes it worth it. Once the entitled crowd moves back home to their "less hot" climes, 6:00 becomes dinner time.

I know, C/S/B

Reactions: goldmom
I think as a compromise, old people should be allowed to purchase drugs at the pharmacy without a prescriptions.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Maybe . . . maybe up to a certain amount of value AND only if they are living in that home.

But only the over 65 part if all the owners are over 65. If you are able to buy a house outright with cash or if you are able to pay off your mortgage fast you shouldn't get rewarded with more breaks for being wealthier then most.
Yes because management of your money should be penalized. Not all people who pay off their mortgage are rich. They just do math better than others.

I didn't say they shouldn't have property taxes, was simply letting people know where they could move if they don't like ours here. Found it interesting where we rank in the country and thought I'd share.

As far where we are in total state taxes, we're not in the middle we're 40th out of 51 when you include DC. 25 would be middle, so we are quite a bit higher. (stats are linked below)

Personally I don't mind, I wouldn't move out of Iowa for anything. Well maybe for a few million bucks if someone wanted to send that my way!

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/states-with-the-lowest-taxes
I believe the stat you use is after Iowas new rates… with the old rates I believe Iowa ranked 26th…the fact remains Iowas taxes were nothing confiscatory…I have records that prove my/our Iowa state taxes ran about 4% of my total wages…It is absolutely ridiculous that now 98%+ of my income is non-taxable now. Like I said, in Iowa what can you tax but land, wages/income and sales? You can make Iowa a ZERO rate tax state… the fact is the folks that stay will stay and the folks that leave will leave…and Iowa’s population rate isn’t going to increase one iota.

Reactions: beanerhawk
Target exemptions or tax reductions for those who need it. Not just because someone turns 65. In my county, and I assume the state of Iowa, property taxes are already progressive. In other words the tax on a $500,000 home is more than twice the tax on a $250,000 home. It should be. Maybe it is everywhere.

I own a condo in Iowa, where I live, and a vacation home at the Lake of the Ozarks. They are about the same value. But my Iowa taxes are over 5 times what they are in Missouri, even though I get an exemption in Iowa for actually living there, It doesn't make much sense to me. But, do I want to move to Missouri? Nope.

As bad as the property tax is, inflation is an even more insidious tax.

These politicians - both sides - have nothing but contempt for us. They divide us in order to weaken and distract us, then kill us with crap like this. Third world here we come! 🤬

F*** every one of them.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
I believe the stat you use is after Iowas new rates… with the old rates I believe Iowa ranked 26th…the fact remains Iowas taxes were nothing confiscatory…I have records that prove my/our Iowa state taxes ran about 4% of my total wages…It is absolutely ridiculous that now 98%+ of my income is non-taxable now. Like I said, in Iowa what can you tax but land, wages/income and sales? You can make Iowa a ZERO rate tax state… the fact is the folks that stay will stay and the folks that leave will leave…and Iowa’s population rate isn’t going to increase one iota.
Yeah for the 2nd time in 2 posts I agree, they should have property tax. Not disagreeing with that, just updating on where Iowa currently stands and that's 40th in the country. Agree with everything you said in your post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT