ADVERTISEMENT

Equality

My point exactly. Society isn't 50% black and 50% white. Nor 25% gay, etc. So why are so many commercials this way? One out of 5 or 6 could be black, a few asians, and a few (<10%) LBGQTxyz... That would exactly match our population.
Because the word you're looking for is "pandering".

Reactions: NI hawk
I dvr my tv and fast forward through commercials so i have no opinion other than dvr's are awesome.

Disagree. If someone has a cross in their home, they aren't signaling anything to the world. Very few people will ever see it. If they have one around their neck on a chain, odds are that you and the public won't see it. The few who do have it so it can be seen around their neck may indeed be virtue signaling. When you have something on your back, on TV, that nearly every other University has gotten rid of, you are indeed virtue signaling and or are too cheap to buy new uniforms.
You may not see the cross but they certainly will tell you about it.

Keep politics and sports separate. I don't care what you believe and you shouldn't care about mine. Just play the sport. Stop preaching!!!!

I’m sure this thread is going to end well. 😉

I should probably preface all of this by noting that I am probably about as “woke” as you can get. You can agree with that, or you can think it’s stupid, and if the latter represents your viewpoint, feel free to come at me on the off-topic board.

But I am really not a fan of the giant “equality” slogan on the Iowa basketball uniforms. It’s not that I have anything against the message. In fact, I think it’s cool for teams to incorporate ideas they value into their uniform designs, whether it’s a message related to social justice or slogan about America’s need for farmers.

But the “equality” slogan, in its current form, just looks haphazard. It doesn’t match the flow of the uniform, and looks more like they are trying to prove their social justice bona fides than design an effective uniform.

Like I said, I’m totally in favor of keeping the message in some shape or form. I just think there’s a better way of doing it. The current iteration just looks like it was done with little thought.

So how would you put in on the uni? Where, how large etc.

My point exactly. Society isn't 50% black and 50% white. Nor 25% gay, etc. So why are so many commercials this way? One out of 5 or 6 could be black, a few asians, and a few (<10%) LBGQTxyz... That would exactly match our population.
Because ever since there were commercials it has been a hetero white couple buying the orange juice or house paint or new car. A kid in a wheelchair in a Target ad may seem like some woke BS to you but do you have any idea what it means to other kids in wheelchairs?

Reactions: Ree4 and littlez
I'm not interested in the political debates. As someone else said, keep politics, religion, etc. out of sports. I watch sports for the competitive nature of it, not for the social commentary.

That said, I'm all for equality and don't mind having the word on the back of the jersey. Wouldn't bother me if it wasn't there, either. So I have no problem here.

As for the jersey, it should be simple gold and black. No need to complicate it. Less is more. What's wrong with this?

images
So we shouldn't have the national anthem before games then, right?

Because ever since there were commercials it has been a hetero white couple buying the orange juice or house paint or new car. A kid in a wheelchair in a Target ad may seem like some woke BS to you but do you have any idea what it means to other kids in wheelchairs?
Im gona guess not much.

No ones life is any different based on what actors that compaines put in commercials other than the actors themselves.

The only reason they do anything is based on what they think will make them the most money.

Since the vast majority of people don't give a shit either way they figure they may as well pander to the small percentage of upperclass young white people that do care about it.

So how would you put in on the uni? Where, how large etc.
Good question. I’m thinking something simple, near the front of the color. Let
players choose the phrase they want used, from options like “equality,” to “equity,” to
“justice,” to “freedom,” to “ANF,” to “team.”

You see some NFL teams do this with the front of their helmets. Looks classy, yet individualized.

Equality isn’t the catchword for the woke agenda. It’s equity. Equality of opportunity for all was championed by JFK and others during the civil rights movement in the 60’s within the framework of a free market economy. To some we’ve made progress, while others argue we haven’t. We all agree there’s more work to do. The social justice movement calls for equity of outcome, which means a select few in government and the ruling class decide the winners and losers benefiting some to the detriment of others. It’s a radically different approach and is fundamentally a Marxist ideology that has replaced the idea of class warfare, which has mostly failed, and now uses race, etc. to divide us. I’m not sure the players understand the difference. Equity is just the Marxist turd polished. I’m all for equality and hope it stays on their jerseys
Questions.

1. Do you think the message of equality before the law and the sovereign authority, about which I think we agree, is intended to be the meaning expressed on the jerseys/helmets?

2. How does a sovereign authority provide "equality of opportunity" without creating burdens on some group of persons and providing benefits to others, which is the precise opposite of actual equality.

3. How does actual equality before the law and sovereign authority exist within a governing paradigm that allows the sovereign authority to allocate rights, goods and services based on the accidental and immutable characteristics of birth?

4. Re: 1 above, why would college students not understand the difference between woke "equality", that requires sovereign enforcement of designed inequality and actual equality. For our discussion we can ignore people that are simply insufficiently intelligent to understand any part of the competing concepts.

Interested in your thoughts.​

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
You may as well take the ANF off your helmets too, since you don’t have an Agriculture college, and call ISU Moo U. But it plays well with the state and media.

You may as well take the ANF off your helmets too, since you don’t have an Agriculture college, and call ISU Moo U. But it plays well with the state and media.
Sorry to have been unclear. **** yeah. Good PR 37 years ago when the Soviets were practically giving their ag products and collapsing the world market while high interest rates bled 15 years of inflation out of the American economy, which was catastrophic for small farmers. An aside, that's why you keep inflation under control, it's like cancer. The cure is almost as destructive as the disease.

But that was then, and this is now. We are a major liberal arts school. Iowa A&T is the farm school. No need for the clutter.

But we don't need commercials that have a wheelchair in 50% of them.

Lots of angry over one little word. Terrible that so many of you have been so oppressed your whole lives. Middle aged white guys are the most oppressed group in the history of the world. They just can't ever catch a break. People always making them feel uncomfortable and the such. Black people with white people in TV commercials. Two guys on TV talking about having a mortgage... Together. Makes me want to curl up in a ball and stop watching basketball altogether.

Do you have this on your clipboard and simply cut and paste it all over the forums?

Reactions: RocknRollface
It is shoving it down the throats of those that see it as an offensive "dog whistle" to use a leftie phrase that promotes just the opposite of equality. Why politic in sports and especially in business? How would you respond to a message that says "Equality/No Quotas" for the larger argument the prevents government, at any level, from allocating rights, goods or services on the basis of race, gender, national origin or other immutable incidents of birth? Guessing you would not like that emblazoned on a uni.

It's a dog whistle to be sure.

I'm surprised the decision makers haven't changed it to "Equity" given their inability to compete at a high level. Maybe give Iowa Basketball a few more wins before the Big Ten season starts every year to ensure an equitable outcome.

Reactions: DocRambo
“The best thing on a basketball floor is wrestling mats from door to door”
Ha, never heard that one. If that's true then why are wrestling fans such cheapskates when it comes to tickets? What is it, $85 for a season pass? That's like minor league baseball prices....you'd think the self proclaimed best fans in sports would be willing to chip in a lot more so their program isn't as much of a parasite on the 2 revenue sports....no?

Ha, never heard that one. If that's true then why are wrestling fans such cheapskates when it comes to tickets? What is it, $85 for a season pass? That's like minor league baseball prices....you'd think the self proclaimed best fans in sports would be willing to chip in a lot more so their program isn't as much of a parasite on the 2 revenue sports....no?
Unfortunately wrestling is a niche’ sport, I’ve never understood why, I’ve been obsessed since 1990. The Hawks continue to set attendance records for the sport, but other places (like Southern CA) when people hear wrestling the think tights and capes. I think it’s simple Economics supply vs demand.

Racism will never go away. Ever. But having it shoved down our throats constantly and blaming most things as being racist (or rooted in racism), only makes it worse, IMO.
I bet the ANF decals on the football helmets must really drive you crazy! Hayden started that in 1985!

I bet the ANF decals on the football helmets must really drive you crazy! Hayden started that in 1985!
Big difference. Farmers are different races, country of origin, and everything else. 'Equity' is aimed at gay, non-white, female people. Look what all this has done in medical schools. Men are selected less than women now. Minorities have lower standards, etc. Our country was not founded for this. Anyone can come here and excel. (Not so much for slaves, but that was > 160 years ago.)

I'd like to know why not. Or what the anthem has anything to do with what I wrote about equality on the jerseys.
Derp is right! When you said:

"I'm not interested in the political debates. As someone else said, keep politics, religion, etc. out of sports. I watch sports for the competitive nature of it, not for the social commentary"

logic would follow that you'd believe the national anthem shouldn't be played before sporting events. That is unless you're a complete hypocrite and it's fine to have certain pieces of politics and religion in sports as long as they're your preferences and not somebody else's, right?

That'll ensure none of you poor folk have to be exposed to any "kneelers".

Derp is right! When you said:

"I'm not interested in the political debates. As someone else said, keep politics, religion, etc. out of sports. I watch sports for the competitive nature of it, not for the social commentary"

logic would follow that you national anthem shouldn't be played before sporting events. That is unless you're a complete hypocrite and it's fine to have certain pieces of politics and religion in sports as long as they're your preferences and not somebody else's, right?
Ah, fine. But if you actually read the rest of my post, I clearly said that I'm OK with having equality on the jerseys as well. But I guess you ignored that, right?

Would I rather politics be kept out of sports? Yup. If that includes the anthem, then so be it. I don't really care. I don't consider myself overly patriotic. But again, as I said, I don't really care about the equality being on the jersey, either. Either keep both or remove both (jersey and anthem). At least I'm consistent. Or I try to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ree4
Frankly I am more offended by the prescription drug commercials. I have the Skyrizzi song in my head.

If we lived in a civilized country with standards there would be no prescription drug ads.

Frankly I am more offended by the prescription drug commercials. I have the Skyrizzi song in my head.

If we lived in a civilized country with standards there would be no prescription drug ads.
We can thank congress for that. I forget when - maybe in the 90s - there were no prescription drug ads. The companies spent something like 5% on advertising and 30% on research. Research may have been much higher tho. After congress allowed ads, ad money went way up to 30 or so and research way down.

Reactions: Ree4 and JRHawk2003
Whether you are “woke” or not, why do you care? If the Iowa players and coach wanted to do it let them. It’s no big deal to me. Not sure why you decided to make this a topic as youknow how it’s going to end. Total division on this board. If Fran and the team like it just let it go.
Are you serious? I wonder why we would care. It's not like our money goes to funding their salaries, and scholarships. What players and teams do also has an impact on how others view the state. Whether or not they like it of course people have a stake in what public funded universities do.

Are you serious? I wonder why we would care. It's not like our money goes to funding their salaries, and scholarships. What players and teams do also has an impact on how others view the state. Whether or not they like it of course people have a stake in what public funded universities do.
Then don’t support it. Pretty simple. I can tell you’re a guy that’s outraged by pretty small things.

Reactions: Ree4
Hey I'm just glad you're aware that not many fans go to Carver (though it won't be like that tomorrow). Didn't know you had a clue about anything basketball related.

Two options. Neither good.

Sell to Illinois fans and have a sea of orange or give them away for free.

Love it or leave it, huh?

Given the empty seats and apathetic fanbase, that's the last message people should be pushing for Iowa Basketball.
Lol. Such a false narrative. I'd say you're better than that but you're not. The students haven't gone to bball for 20-25 years. I'm not sure why. I doubt it's because of a stupid slogan on the back of a jersey. We've had the worst student section in the conference for as long as I can remember. This is the same kind of shit you guys were complaining about in football when the players were going to take a knee, and nobody was going to buy season tickets. It's not a love it leave it scenario. I like the product, and I like our players, and it's a team that plays it's ass off this year. If the slogan on a back of the jersey keeps you home I don't know what to tell you.

Reactions: seam and Ree4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT