ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN 6/27/20: Iowa Black Players Speak Out

LOL,of course you wouldn't you could possibly see around your black and gold teddy bear.

All this means is this program no longer has to be concerned with discipline for any off the field issues. The student code of conduct will be eliminated because It is racially biased. KF’s job just got a lot easier with no more need for player accountability.

oh i think damage has been done but we may never know how much... if they don't play games this year

One thing that I've noticed and others have commented on; I think that there was a noticeable difference in recruiting after the Solomen/Douglas incidents and later Wegher and Robinson. I think that recruiting really put more emphasis on finding those kids that fit into the Iowa culture. And maybe that wasn't the best decision. I would be interested in hearing from the black athletes from 2002-06 and if they experienced the same issues that they have the last few years.

It's a damning article. Toss out the he said she said and focus on the important stuff; grad rates for black athletes vs white athletes, tranfer rates, etc. Etc.
Are the student-athletes not accountable for themselves? What did Iowa do for white players that they didn’t do for black players for academics? Did white players not have the same rules as far as hats m, earrings etc?

Of course you can get your black and gold teddy bear tarnished. What you think I could care less.
giphy.gif

It's a damning article. Toss out the he said she said and focus on the important stuff; grad rates for black athletes vs white athletes, tranfer rates, etc. Etc.
Black players transferring counts against them graduating, apparently.

It's not like these guys just dropped out because they couldn't keep their grades up.

The transfer rate is/was the issue.

Their requirements as students aren't made any harder than white athletes.

Those are facts.

For those who still don't believe Kirk knew what was going on:

Players who spoke to ESPN said Ferentz has heard the allegations about Iowa's treatment of Black players for many years. McNutt says that, early in his career, he and other members of Iowa's leadership group met with the coach about discrepancies in discipline between white and Black players.
Which means he never tried to correct anything, EVER? Can you be more one-sided?

Its like no one has listened to the good things happening with progress the last e months in the program. Does kirk need to go? I think the better thing is to let this play out before we tear his legacy apart. It is already tainted

If you don't think the Iowa brand hasn't been damaged through this you're dumb.

Of course it has. But we have a chance to have a stronger, more accepting program if Ferentz keeps the tough part and cuts the crap part.

If you have a boil, you lance it and improve your health. Ferentz appears to be trying to do that. If all that happens is denial, denial, bau (which includes many on this forum)....then the Iowa football program is going to suffer long and hard.

Of course it has. But we have a chance to have a stronger, more accepting program if Ferentz keeps the tough part and cuts the crap part.

If you have a boil, you lance it and improve your health. Ferentz appears to be trying to do that. If all that happens is denial, denial, bau (which includes many on this forum)....then the Iowa football program is going to suffer long and hard.

Ferentz will be haunted by this until he retires. If you don't agree, fine.

People's perception, memories, and history they remember don't just go away and it won't here either.

I see two parts to the article.

Reading the article has me thinking Doyle didn't treat all the black players fairly, that part seems to be legitimate. With Doyle gone, all of that chatter goes to the background in my opinion, which is most of the article.

The 2nd part is a bit more controversial. I see black players that are used to people wanting to be like them. Think back to the most popular kids in school, people didn't ask them to change, instead people would mimic them.
At college (Iowa specifically) they are in a situation that requires them to make adjustments. Earrings, haircuts and clothing aren't racist, especially when the school is supplying lots of athletic clothing. I see this as a trivial thing being made into a race thing. I am not sure if it is really a big issue from the former player, or if it is the in thing to be the victim.

The comments from James Daniels seem a bit over the top, just too broad and seem to make the situation sound really bad compared to his specific concerns. Jordan Lomax gave really good comments in my opinion, specific and understandable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT