ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN NBA Draft Analyst: Payton Sandfort has a Ready-Made Skill for the NBA. Invited to May 12-19 NBA Draft Combine

Wow what a take! It’s not like anyone else in the world could see that.
If you read through some of these comments, you'd realize many thought he was Joe's equal athletically. They lost a lot of credibility after these combine numbers.

Payton is a surprisingly effective rebounder considering his combine #s.
He is quick off his feet which helps.
I do think the "weak/strong" draft is very fluid and is largely all about the top 15 picks.
After the top 5-10 everyone is developmental guys who are 18-19 years old..hard to project.

Lots of speculation. Fact remains, Korver was one of the great 3 point shooters in the professional game… and if 3 point shooting is still important, you’d have to think he’d be an alternative. Plus, with Korver, there were a lot “factors” that gave him additional value to many franchises. But, central to that, he was one helluva shooter, and there is always room for shooters.
If they can play defense.

Everybody in the league 1-4 can shoot now and probably half the 5s.

The offensive efficiency is night and day better than it was when Kover played.

If they can play defense.

Everybody in the league 1-4 can shoot now and probably half the 5s.

The offensive efficiency is night and day better than it was when Kover played.
The game constantly evolves. Nothing is static in sport. Korver played when he played, dictated by his birth certificate, And he played in the League for many years…. Much longer than anyone ever predicted. And he wasn’t there to play defense. Korver was a premium 3 point shooter with a great work ethic. Who knows where the game will be in another 5 years?

I was wrong, I thought PS was was more athletic. I thought he was close to JW with a quicker release. Guess I don't know jack crap :rolleyes:

Payton is a surprisingly effective rebounder considering his combine #s.
He is quick off his feet which helps.
I do think the "weak/strong" draft is very fluid and is largely all about the top 15 picks.
After the top 5-10 everyone is developmental guys who are 18-19 years old..hard to project.

And all it takes is one team to fall in love with him

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Kinda proves my point that Joe Weiskamp was/is much more athletic than Payton.
Who argued with you about that? They’re possibly the same position but 2 totally different players. Sandfort was /is getting looks because of one thing, shooting. Anyone who watched him play realizes he’s not a great athlete. 22 inch vertical? Wow.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
The game constantly evolves. Nothing is static in sport. Korver played when he played, dictated by his birth certificate, And he played in the League for many years…. Much longer than anyone ever predicted. And he wasn’t there to play defense. Korver was a premium 3 point shooter with a great work ethic. Who knows where the game will be in another 5 years?
The point is there's a vastly larger availability of good 3pt shooters now than 20 years.

It's next to impossible to make it in the NBA as a wing that can't defend.

You need to be an ungodly efficient offensive player to make that work. Curry, Doncic or Harden level.

Reactions: littlez
The point is there's a vastly larger availability of good 3pt shooters now than 20 years.

You need to be an ungodly efficient offensive player to make that work. Curry, Doncic or Harden level.
Korver made the All Star team in 2015, but in your mind, Duncan Robinson is a much better player than Kyle Korver.

• Haha
Reactions: RocknRollface
Who argued with you about that? They’re possibly the same position but 2 totally different players. Sandfort was /is getting looks because of one thing, shooting. Anyone who watched him play realizes he’s not a great athlete. 22 inch vertical? Wow.
have you not been reading some of previous comments? Many here thought he was equal to or better than Joe W. I kid you not. just scroll above a few messages... deanhawk for 1.

Reactions: littlez
Payton's 2nd scrimmage:
Airballed a 3. Then he hurt his shoulder contesting a dunk and went out of the game immediately. He's been getting looked at by a trainer since he went out, but I'm going to guess his combine is done.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Good story from yesterday.

Are we a top 25 team if Payton returns?

Some excerpts:

"I'm getting feedback and continuing to evaluate," he said. "Right now, I'm putting everything I can into being a draft prospect. If that's not the case, I'll talk it over with my family and my agents, and they won't let me make a wrong decision."

"I'm really looking for the right fit and finding the right team that is comfortable with me and one that I'm comfortable with. If that were to be the case, I think it would be a no brainer to leave, but if that's not the case, then I could go back to Iowa and prove everything that there are question marks about and go from there."

Sandfort said on Tuesday that he has had pre-draft workouts with the Atlanta Hawks and Boston Celtics, and has three or four more scheduled, including one on May 29, which is the deadline for early entrants to decide whether or not they want to keep their name in the NBA Draft.

"The floor is the same size but the three-point line is further and the spacing feels a lot different," Sandfort told 247Sports on Tuesday. "There is a ton of adjustment. Things you have to learn from the mental side of the game to the physical side of the game. It has been a really fun process. You're going to fail a lot, especially going through it, but if you can learn and adjust from that, I think that's where the most improvement comes. I feel like I've grown up a ton during this process."

"It's a ton of work. I know I've put in a ton of work, not just this past month, but over the years. I'm very confident in it and even today was one of my worst shooting performances in a long time but you just have to keep shooting through it and that's my mentality. If you miss one, you just have to move on to the next. There is a lot of growth in this process."

Sandfort has spent the majority of the pre-draft process working out in Newark, New Jersey.

He has been working with the same agency and trainers representing Los Angeles Lakers guard Austin Reeves. Sandfort has been living in the same apartment as Dayton Flyers forward DaRon Holmes, who was first-team All-Atlantic 10 this past season and is considered a first-round pick by numerous outlets.

Sandfort and Holmes have been working to improve each other, and Holmes highly praised Sandfort's performance during the pre-draft process. Holmes also went through the draft process last season, but decided to return to Dayton for 2023-24.

He was in a similar boat as Sandfort.

"I've told him to follow his heart," Holmes said of his advice to Sandfort. "Truly, you're going to know in your heart and gut what you want to do. I think the difference between me and Payton I was a lot more late second-round to undrafted. I think Payton could end up in the first round this year. I think with him, it's trust your gut, and what do you want out of this. He's going to make the right decision. He works very hard. If he goes back, he's going to kill it. If he stays, he's going to kill."

ESPN has recently slotted Sandfort as a projected first-round pick, but those mock drafts can vary based on team needs. NBA teams are not paying attention to the mock drafts, rather they're more focused on what players are going to fit their teams best.

Sandfort has a lot of attention from NBA teams because of his size and shooting ability. These next couple of weeks are going to be fascinating to see if more teams fall in love with him or if it's best he stays in college for one more year.

The Iowa basketball staff has been active in the transfer portal looking for pieces to add to the roster for the 2024-25 campaign on top of the talent it already has coming back for next season.

Iowa has added Morehead State point guard transfer Drew Thelwell to the fold.

The Hawkeyes also return two starters from last year's team in Owen Freeman and Josh Dix, who have All-Big Ten potential.

That has the makings of a solid core for this group, but Payton Sandfort's decision could really put the Iowa basketball program into the top-25 consideration next season.

It's going to be a decision that goes up until the final days, heck, even the final day. The deadline is May 29 for players who still have collegiate eligibility remaining.

• Haha
Reactions: flynnhicks03

I’m not denying anything…. Korver played a decade or so in the League and was an effective player…that’s a fact. The League is always evolving. There will be players playing 30 minutes a game today that wouldn’t be able to make teams in the League 20 years from now… the game will continue to evolve and new” skills will be more highly valued than skills highly valued in todays game…. It’s the nature of sport. I never thought Bob Beaman’s long jump at Mexico Cuty would be topped….it took awhile but it finally was. However, his feat might be the greatest accomplishment I ever witnessed in sport. He damn near jumped out of the phuquin’ pit!

Korver made the All Star team in 2015, but in your mind, Duncan Robinson is a much better player than Kyle Korver.

Like I said the nba has changed quite a bit since a decade ago.

Duncan Robinson is one of maybe 2 or 3 guys that fit that mold anymore.

No one said he's better than Korver, that's just a stupid attempt at a straw man.

Robinson really has no business being in the NBA but Miami is a weird franchise that has some odd player choices because they play zone.

They almost always play zone when Robinson is in because he can't defend.

I doubt any other team would be interested in him.

No one said he's better than Korver, that's just a stupid attempt at a straw man.

Robinson really has no business being in the NBA but Miami is a weird franchise that has some odd player choices because they play zone.

No, it’s not “like you said.” You said 20 years ago. Lol at straw man too, it’s amateur hour over here with you. Go watch some playoff games tonight to take your mind off absolutes.

• Haha
Reactions: RocknRollface
No, it’s not “like you said.” You said 20 years ago. Lol at straw man too, it’s amateur hour over here with you. Go watch some playoff games tonight to take your mind off absolutes.
20 years ago was a reference to when he was drafted.

I said "the nba has changed a lot since Kover was a regular player."

Then you gave an example from a decade ago...which fits right into what I had already said. Understand?

And just so you're clear, a straw man is when you intentionally misrepresent someone else point to try and discredit it. And that's exactly what you did.

Any time you have to pull some shit out of your ass and preface it with "in your mind" that's likely a straw man.

Last edited:

What current players in the NBA have a game similar to Payton? Is Duncan Robinson it?

What current players in the NBA have a game similar to Payton? Is Duncan Robinson it?
Man I'll be honest looking around the league I can't even think of anybody. The Euros are taking over the league because even though they aren't all super athletic most are super skilled. Joker can hardly dunk, but his passing, shooting, all around court game and sense are elite. Same w/Doncic. If you're a white American player you're stuck in the role of "shooter." These guys need to develop there games with other skills.

Man I'll be honest looking around the league I can't even think of anybody. The Euros are taking over the league because even though they aren't all super athletic most are super skilled. Joker can hardly dunk, but his passing, shooting, all around court game and sense are elite. Same w/Doncic. If you're a white American player you're stuck in the role of "shooter." These guys need to develop there games with other skills.

Nikola Jokic looks out of shape (he's not, of course) and incredibly slow. But, like you said, his skill set is out of this world. Once again he is the NBA MVP, too

22 inches, which according to one site is in the 0.4 percentile of the history of the combine.
I'm not some bastion of athleticism as a 6'2 white dude from small town Iowa who played NAIA ball, and my vertical my senior year in high school was 24 inches.
22" is incredibly bad for a top BB player, and more like us normal folks. I am sure Payton also rates very low on lateral quickness. He is a smart player, which helps him compensate for his physical limitations. That is how he averaged 6 boards/game. Payton can make good money playing overseas, but not so sure he will ever make and stay on an NBA roster. With all that negativity, he sure would help the Hawks chances of being a really good team next year.

Among retired players, Korver is 8th all time in effective field goal percentage. There are 16 active players ahead of him. His game would have translated just fine. With today's defense, he would be even higher.

I don't fully understand eFG%, but if it doesn't consider volume of shooting, then some guys who basically dunked over half their shots will look much better than they are/were.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
22" is incredibly bad for a top BB player, and more like us normal folks. I am sure Payton also rates very low on lateral quickness. He is a smart player, which helps him compensate for his physical limitations. That is how he averaged 6 boards/game. Payton can make good money playing overseas, but not so sure he will ever make and stay on an NBA roster. With all that negativity, he sure would help the Hawks chances of being a really good team next year.
Never say never. But it seems highly unlikely he would make it in the NBA. His release is quick, so that should help get the shot off. The rest of his physical skills and overall poor defense compared to who he would be competing against for a roster spot would be tough to overcome.
With that, it's also clear he would be a big asset to Iowa next season. Very different game and level of competition.

I don't fully understand eFG%, but if it doesn't consider volume of shooting, then some guys who basically dunked over half their shots will look much better than they are/were.
That’s what can be said about FG% too. eFG% adjusts since three pointers are worth 1.5x more than twos. A lot of advanced metrics will favor big men that only score in the paint (DeAndre Jordan-type of players).

Payton could stick in the league as spark plug off the bench if he can show a consistent knack for coming off the bench hot in the perimeter game.

What he can't be is a liability on defense, and that's what would most likely keep him from seeing significant minutes or being a starter in the league.

That’s what can be said about FG% too. eFG% adjusts since three pointers are worth 1.5x more than twos. A lot of advanced metrics will favor big men that only score in the paint (DeAndre Jordan-type of players).
Thanks. Hard to compare across times, especially without a 3-pt shot for more past players. For me, it is hard to imagine that anyone has been more efficient than Kareem, who in his prime, was unstoppable if he got the ball within 12 ft of the basket.

Thanks. Hard to compare across times, especially without a 3-pt shot for more past players. For me, it is hard to imagine that anyone has been more efficient than Kareem, who in his prime, was unstoppable if he got the ball within 12 ft of the basket.
Kareem does have the 37th best eFG% of all time. But the top 12 eFG% of all time are centers. Coincidentally, the guy who wouldn’t be able to play in the NBA today according to rockenrollerdouche is 24th all time. He’s the third non-center, behind Steph Curry & Joe Ingles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT