ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN writers have South Carolina, UCLA & LSU in the Final Four w/ either Colorado, NC State or UConn as the 4th Team

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I think this year more then any other, they will need favorable matchups to get to the final 4. They got them last year, now they need them again.
I suppose we'll see. The Indiana game will be telling, but again it's also the middle portion of the season, and last year's team really didn't start to turn things on until February and into the final stretch of the season.

The biggest reason to stay positive for me is how they played against Virginia Tech. Granted it was right at the beginning of the season, but VT is a top 10 team (Final Four team from a year ago) and Iowa looked like the same unit that made their run to the title game last year, just minus the interior presence of Czinano.

It's interesting that Iowa is not even listed as a top 6 team by the "experts."

South Carolina
UCLA
LSU
Colorado
NC State
UConn

Things are a bit different in the latest ESPN Bracketology.

The #1/#2/#3/#4 seeds in the 4 Brackets are:

South Carolina/USC/UConn/Gonzaga

UCLA/Baylor/LSU/Louisville

Stanford/NC State/Texas/Indiana

Iowa/Colorado/Kansas State/Virginia Tech

I think this year more than any other, they will need favorable matchups to get to the final 4. They got them last year, now they need them again.
I agree and if they get there a South Carolina re-match would likely be a bloodbath IMO. Iowa would need to shoot lights out to compete because USC has big edge inside and I could see them dominating the boards.

They then have UCLA and South Carolina meeting for the National Championship.

Caitlin is their unanimous National Player of the Year.

Is the Elite 8 this year's team's ceiling?

The Story:

Iowa is worse than last year. Couldn't recruit a single decent player to help Clark.

I’d agree the E8 is probably it but also agree matchups will tell the tale. We just don’t have an inside game to match the elite teams. Hannah is a 4 and will get manhandled by SC and others. Sharon and Addy just aren’t athletic enough to match up. The KState gal is a great example.

These arguments all make perfect sense....just like they did last year. National consensus was that the only way Iowa could stay close to South Carolina was to shoot 50% from 3 and somehow stay close on the boards.

We shot 7/23 from 3 for 30%; South Carolina crushed us on the boards 49-25, including 26 offensive rebounds.

Sounds like a 25 point drubbing, right?

We all know how that game ended. Is there another team whose post player can run the floor anywhere close to Hannah? Does any other team have a nearly unstoppable player who makes everyone else around her better?

Is there another team who has equal experience of being there and knowing what it takes to survive March Madness? There could be, but not many. Don't discard this team until March rolls around and they've been eliminated.

I feel we have as good of a chance as almost anyone else to get to Cleveland for the Final Four.

I’m actually glad they don’t expect it from us as I think it could take some of the pressure off and help them to loosen up a bit more and have fun out there. I think they play more free when they’re having fun and staying in the moment. I also think it could light a fire for them, especially Caitlin, to prove everyone wrong.

I suppose we'll see. The Indiana game will be telling, but again it's also the middle portion of the season, and last year's team really didn't start to turn things on until February and into the final stretch of the season.

The biggest reason to stay positive for me is how they played against Virginia Tech. Granted it was right at the beginning of the season, but VT is a top 10 team (Final Four team from a year ago) and Iowa looked like the same unit that made their run to the title game last year, just minus the interior presence of Czinano.
Your last half of your final sentence is the reason why this year’s team may even struggle to get to the Elite 8. All it will take is a sub par shooting performance from the others because CC will be double teamed non stop from here on out. If they get hot, the Final 4 is certainly possible.

I think the loss of Warnock and Czinano is being overblown a bit. Did Clark have a ton of chemistry with Czinano? Yes of course, but those two not nearly as athletic as the supporting cast we have this year. Our defense and rebounding is also much better than last year and Clark’s points are only going up. You always have to get lucky bounces in tournament play, but as of right now and having watched a lot of other teams play this year, I’m feeling pretty good because I know the chemistry of this team will only get better.

If others are hitting 3's at a good rate this team is almost unbeatable with Clark on it. Seems like if Kate has a really good game they are really tough too. It all boils down to others stepping up and making their 3's imo
Yep, that’s Iowa’s ticket to the F4. Other than maybe Rd 1, have to make a high percentage of 3pt FGAs in order to advance.

It's interesting that Iowa is not even listed as a top 6 team by the "experts."

South Carolina
UCLA
LSU
Colorado
NC State
UConn

Things are a bit different in the latest ESPN Bracketology.

The #1/#2/#3/#4 seeds in the 4 Brackets are:

South Carolina/USC/UConn/Gonzaga

UCLA/Baylor/LSU/Louisville

Stanford/NC State/Texas/Indiana

Iowa/Colorado/Kansas State/Virginia Tech

I don't like the k state potential rubber match at all. If I could replace one team from that bracket it's them.

Right now they are projected as a 1 seed. It's just interesting that nobody from ESPN thinks Iowa will advance past the Elite 8.

Time will tell. Nice to see Gabbie shooting better from distance.
No doubt....I just felt she was pressing and needed to just focus on the balance of her game which is pretty damn good and let the shots come naturally. When her and Kate are in that 50% area, we are so much better as a team.

Reactions: Franisdaman
No doubt....I just felt she was pressing and needed to just focus on the balance of her game which is pretty damn good and let the shots come naturally. When her and Kate are in that 50% area, we are so much better as a team.

Hopefully the supporting cast keeps getting better & better.

I agree and if they get there a South Carolina re-match would likely be a bloodbath IMO. Iowa would need to shoot lights out to compete because USC has big edge inside and I could see them dominating the boards.
Staley is foaming at the mouth for an opportunity to play the race card Iowa again.

It would behoove us to try to land either the last #1 seed or top 2 to avoid South Carolina before the F4.

Imagining the Charlie Steiner/Evander Holyfield Sportscenter ad.

VksbyZ.gif

The defense seems better than last year. CC has stepped up her game this year on the defensive side IMO. She’s obviously in great shape for how many minutes she plays and how much she’s constantly moving on both the offensive and defensive ends.

Anything short of an undefeated rest-of-the-season and national title for LSU should be considered a failure of epic proportions given the superteam they assembled.
I’ll be honest the LSU S Carolina matchup is going to be must see TV. Can we make it back to the Final 4? Certainly. We’ll need that 1 seed. Martin seems back to her form and Marshall seems to have found her shot. CC can of course not afford probably anything less than a 30 game in the sweet 16 or elite 8. Stuelke is improving day by day. While maybe not as skilled as Monica she’s a way better athlete and I think the team can be better than last year because of her. Going to be a fun ride.

Right now they are projected as a 1 seed. It's just interesting that nobody from ESPN thinks Iowa will advance past the Elite 8.

Time will tell. Nice to see Gabbie shooting better from distance.
Typical BIG bias. I think we make the FF again. Not sure if we can advance. Need to see more consistency but liked what I saw against Indiana

Reactions: Bishop-71
Your last half of your final sentence is the reason why this year’s team may even struggle to get to the Elite 8. All it will take is a sub par shooting performance from the others because CC will be double teamed non stop from here on out. If they get hot, the Final 4 is certainly possible.
double teaming her is fine. she can break most every double team and then find the wide open player. CC is no stranger to college BB. Why are teams not double and triple teaming her now? Why wait? Women's BB has very few players with the quickness and foot speed to stay with her. Not as easy as it sounds. Iowa is drilling everyone now and CC is not even shooting that well. Wait till she gets hot.

They then have UCLA and South Carolina meeting for the National Championship.

Caitlin is their unanimous National Player of the Year.

Is the Elite 8 this year's team's ceiling?

The Story:

I don't believe any of their writers had Iowa in the Final Four last season. They were too busy fawning over South Carolina and their "greatest womens college team of all time."

I don't believe any of their writers had Iowa in the Final Four last season. They were too busy fawning over South Carolina and their "greatest womens college team of all time."
To be fair they probably shouldn't have. We had lost to Creighton the year before I believe at home and while everyone knew CC was a really good player going into last year the last 1/2 of the season she was on a totally different planet. And we were kind of the ladies version of Danny and the Miracles. Also S Carolina had won 42 games in a row going into that game. People love and underdog, great win for the Hawks and it was great for womens bball. But if you had said before the season started that Iowa would beat S Carolina in the Final 4 most people would have thought you were crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT