ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN writers have South Carolina, UCLA & LSU in the Final Four w/ either Colorado, NC State or UConn as the 4th Team

Not worrying about it at this point. We we're a huge dog last year (11.5 pts I believe) and Yet... I know these are different teams. They're better, and frankly so are we. Honestly Clark is better this year. I hope we get a chance to find out. All you can ask is to be in "the game".......

TV ratings would be thru the roof

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
good enough to win @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset a national championship?

Well it’s USC, then I’d say about 10 their teams. Yes tOSU, no Indiana..

LSU, CU, SC, UCLA, Nc St, Maybe Va Tech,
Not worrying about it at this point. We we're a huge dog last year (11.5 pts I believe) and Yet... I know these are different teams. They're better, and frankly so are we. Honestly Clark is better this year. I hope we get a chance to find out. All you can ask is to be in "the game".......

I’m not yet sure they are better….but they are still the best….

Well it’s USC, then I’d say about 10 other teams. Yes tOSU, no Indiana..

LSU, CU, SC, UCLA, Nc St, Maybe Va Tech, Texas, K st, Stanford, UCONN.

Iowa of course…”

Sure, but being back cut is different entirely. Kate might pick and pop once in awhile, but Monica was a beast in the pick and roll.
Honestly, as as been discussed this season, Id say we're better, (most of the time) on defense then last season. Syd brings playmaking ability on defense and on the glass. AOG has stepped up as of late and her continued progress would be huge.

FG% and 3P% are slightly worse. I was surprised that rebounding total is better this year.

Monica had one of if not the highest FG percentages in the country last year. She’s 5th in NCAA career FG percentage too so I expected us to drop a bit in that category after losing her.

We are better in every metric this year.
No we are not. Points in the post is way down. That is the glaring weakness. Stuelke has stepped up admirably, a very big positive, but if she becomes injured again or gets in foul trouble, teams like USC, UCLA, LSU, KSU, and other stacked front courts will feast.

Reactions: shudaddy
No we are not. Points in the post is way down. That is the glaring weakness. Stuelke has stepped up admirably, a very big positive, but if she becomes injured again or gets in foul trouble, teams like USC, UCLA, LSU, KSU, and other stacked front courts will feast.

Ok….so we are playing the “what if this happened or that happened game…

You know because nobody else has any weaknesses. Well crackers, it’s be fun while it lasted guys…

We’re done…

Reactions: littlez
Ok….so we are playing the “what if this happened or that happened game…

You know because nobody else has any weaknesses. Well crackers, it’s be fun while it lasted guys…

We’re done…
You flatly claimed that Iowa “is better in every metric this year”.

I refuted your claim by pointing out that they are worse this year in a very important metric.

In response you state that I’m playing some kind of game. Can’t make this shit up.

Reactions: shudaddy
FG% and 3P% are slightly worse. I was surprised that rebounding total is better this year.

We are the second best rebounding team in the B1G on both offense and defense. Pretty impressive. Makes sense tho when you consider Stuelke, O’Grady, Affolter, Martin and Clark are all excellent rebounders.

Points in the post is way down. That is the glaring weakness.

Are points in the post way down? Our four post players are averaging 20 pts a game. Last year Monika + Stuelke combined for 23.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
We are the second best rebounding team in the B1G on both offense and defense. Pretty impressive. Makes sense tho when you consider Stuelke, O’Grady, Affolter, Martin and Clark are all excellent rebounders. . . .
There are different ways to look at rebounding, but I would quarrel with the above. In conference play, we have the 8th best offensive rebounding rate (percentage) (the better way to look at things, rather than total rebounds for a team with a high pace of play). On defense, we have the 2nd best defensive rebounding rate (percentage) in conference play.

For the season as a whole, we are 154th in the country in offensive rebounding rate, a dramatic improvement from 290th last season. So Iowa has gone from awful to the middle in terms of offensive rebounding.

You flatly claimed that Iowa “is better in every metric this year”.

I refuted your claim by pointing out that they are worse this year in a very important metric.

In response you state that I’m playing some kind of game. Can’t make this shit up.

Of course you can’t….i made a post and the Spirit of the post was very obvious and you brought up a contrarian view…the premise being this team is better, period.

Incidentally what is the PiP difference, year to year?

There are different ways to look at rebounding, but I would quarrel with the above. In conference play, we have the 8th best offensive rebounding rate (percentage) (the better way to look at things, rather than total rebounds for a team with a high pace of play). On defense, we have the 2nd best defensive rebounding rate (percentage) in conference play.

For the season as a whole, we are 154th in the country in offensive rebounding rate, a dramatic improvement from 290th last season. So Iowa has gone from awful to the middle in terms of offensive rebounding.

Without Monica and Warnock. Reinforces what I have seen….better team.

We are the second best rebounding team in the B1G on both offense and defense. Pretty impressive. Makes sense tho when you consider Stuelke, O’Grady, Affolter, Martin and Clark are all excellent rebounders.

Are points in the post way down? Our four post players are averaging 20 pts a game. Last year Monika + Stuelke combined for 23.

And more….ill wager the PiP are not glaringly off.

And more….ill wager the PiP are not glaringly off.
Boston is missed, Kitts is good but she is young and light, Cardoso is good also, however does not like physical play, she can be moved off her mark, she is foul prone, and conditioning is a factor when she faces teams that push.

Pili from Utah is a 6'2"F and dropped 37 playing Cardoso, held her to 17, she sat with 4 fouls.

Morrow from LSU is a 6'1" G, and she pushed Cardoso around with 16/10 double double.

Milaysia Fulwiley, 5'10" G coming off the bench is the difference maker for South Carolina.

Reactions: cmhawks99
You probably want to reach out and let the people who do the rankings know that the SEC is still the king, being they only have two teams ranked…
Just wait until the tourney. They also have is number 2 in nation and we might be a top ten team. First quality team with a very good athletic center will eat us alive. We don't have a center and that's a huge problem against the top 5 teams. Final 8 is very doable and then our weakness will be there. Big ten isn't as good this year as last. Probably 2nd best still.
Stop drinking the koolaid. We aren't 2nd best team. Last year's Iowa team would beat this year's by 10 or more

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
Just wait until the tourney. They also have is number 2 in nation and we might be a top ten team. First quality team with a very good athletic center will eat us alive. We don't have a center and that's a huge problem against the top 5 teams. Final 8 is very doable and then our weakness will be there. Big ten isn't as good this year as last. Probably 2nd best still.
Stop drinking the koolaid. We aren't 2nd best team. Last year's Iowa team would beat this year's by 10 or more

I feel bad for you….your opinion is shared by less & less people every day.

Every day, Molly Davis goes off like she has a few times since Indiana…

Every double double Kate Martin Post… Every game Sydney Afgolter plays better and better every game. Hanna Stuelke blows up and scores 40+ makes that opinion obsolete.

This team is a lot better than last year’s team, and most all the metrics show that to be true…

I always chuckle at this take by those of you not well read enough to realize we’ve already played against three of the best Centers n the nation on three of the better teams, and won!!!

I mean seriously, WTH?!

Dumb, dumb, dumb take….

Reactions: kceasthawk

There's no right or wrong answer to this question & I hope others voice their opinion as well.

My question: is this year's team better than last year's team?

In ESPN's latest Bracketology, Iowa would not face South Carolina until the National Championship game.

One side of the Bracket:

1 South Carolina
2 Ohio State

1 NC State
2 Colorado

The other side of the Bracket:

1 Iowa
2 UCLA

1 Stanford
2 Texas

We have played and beat or went to overtime with two teams in the top nine and four in the top 16 three of which have three of the five best centers in the nation… We have played and beaten, at least seven teams in the top 25 of the net.

Honestly how can you even begin to justify such a dumb ass take WTH? Not top 10…holy shit.

I feel bad for you….your opinion is shared by less & less people every day.

Every day, Molly Davis goes off like she has a few times since Indiana…

Every double double Kate Martin Post… Every game Sydney Afgolter plays better and better every game. Hanna Stuelke blows up and scores 40+ makes that opinion obsolete.

This team is a lot better than last year’s team, and most all the metrics show that to be true…

I always chuckle at this take by those of you not well read enough to realize we’ve already played against three of the best Centers n the nation on three of the better teams, and won!!!

I mean seriously, WTH?!

Dumb, dumb, dumb take….
Share with us how iowa defends a team with a center 6ft4 avid athletic? He'll, pennant center was kicking our ass. We are a top ten team but Lsu is better. We don't want to play s. Carolina again. They will smoke us by 15 or more

We have played and beat or went to overtime with two teams in the top nine and four in the top 16 three of which have three of the five best centers in the nation… We have played and beaten, at least seven teams in the top 25 of the net.

Honestly how can you even begin to justify such a dumb ass take WTH? Not top 10…holy shit.
2nd rated teams dont have weaknesses. Iowa does. I repeat, we don't have a center. Lol. We also have a sharp shooter who is much better on defense then shooting.

Lau and s. Carolina are better at every position except Caitlin. To beat them, Caitlin will have to shoot often and at 50%

There's no right or wrong answer to this question & I hope others voice their opinion as well.

My question: is this year's team better than last year's team?

In ESPN's latest Bracketology, Iowa would not face South Carolina until the National Championship game.

One side of the Bracket:

1 South Carolina
2 Ohio State

1 NC State
2 Colorado

The other side of the Bracket:

1 Iowa
2 UCLA

1 Stanford
2 Texas

As I’ve said before, most all our metrics are better or very similar…

Who would have guessed our rebounding numbers are better without 6-3 Monica and 6-1 Warnock…no one but they are.

Scoring, defense, efficiency, our ability to defend, our ability to get up and down the court….and 4 of these girls are demonstrably better than last year Syd, Kate, Hannah & Molly, 3 the last 3 are better than ANYONE on last years team not named Monica.

Even though she was big and strong I would not even consider trading last years Monica for this Kate Martin…she took coming back & winning seriously. She is playing her best basketball by far!!!!

Last year’s team lost a couple games to teams. This year’s squad would blow out by 20…

Are you guys watching this team….PENN ST is good, very good! We won by 18!

Lastly CC is even better…I said several days ago, this team would be favored by 5 over last years.

They then have UCLA and South Carolina meeting for the National Championship.

Caitlin is their unanimous National Player of the Year.

Is the Elite 8 this year's team's ceiling?

The Story:

This UIowa team has warts! It’s plenty good but it has short-comings (rebounding/physical play), too. After the first round, there is plenty of strong opponents to face. Iowa was “lucky” a few times last year in the Tourney…….”good luck” is a good thing. But as long as we have #22, I’d like to think we have a chance.

Share with us how iowa defends a team with a center 6ft4 avid athletic? He'll, pennant center was kicking our ass. We are a top ten team but Lsu is better. We don't want to play s. Carolina again. They will smoke us by 15 or more

Lee, Mackenzie and Kitley are 3 of the 5 best centers in the nantion. 6-6, 6-4 & 6-5…

How’d we do vs them…

Now before you answer, and since this isn’t my first rodeo, this is the part where you make up 17 excuses as to why it didn’t count versus those teams….

Kitley avg 22.2 & had 16 vs us, they also have a terrific team and a really good guard…

Lee bags 19.8 and had 18 versus us & Kansas State has a very good team…

And Holmes avgs 20 something and had 16 vs us…

Deny, deny, deny…..the entry and keep them running up and down the floor.

I honestly would think an educated Debator would understand based on our schedule that’s not a very good argument

Last edited:
This UIowa team has warts! It’s plenty good but it has short-comings (rebounding/physical play), too. After the first round, there is plenty of strong opponents to face. Iowa was “lucky” a few times last year in the Tourney…….”good luck” is a good thing. But as long as we have #22, I’d like to think we have a chance.

Our rebounding has it’s moments where it stops but would you believe it’s actually quite a bit better this year 😊

2nd rated teams dont have weaknesses. Iowa does. I repeat, we don't have a center. Lol. We also have a sharp shooter who is much better on defense then shooting.

Lau and s. Carolina are better at every position except Caitlin. To beat them, Caitlin will have to shoot often and at 50%

Really…so you’re saying South Carolina has no weaknesses 😳 did they last yea?

And the answer is obviously yes.

Last edited:
Lee, Mackenzie and Kitkey are 3 of the 5 best centers in the nantion. 6-6, 6-4 & 6-5…

How’d we do vs them…

Now before you answer, and since this is my first rodeo, this is the part where you make up 17 excuses as to why it didn’t count versus those teams….

Kitkey any 22.2 & had 16 vs us, they also have a terrific team and a really good guard…

Lee bags 19,8 and had team versus us in Kansas State has a very good team…

And Holmes avgs 20 something and had 16 vs us…

Deny, deny, deny…..the entry and keep them running up and down the floor.

I honestly would think an educated Debator would understand based on our schedule that’s not a very good argument
Osu center,kicked our ass. Pennst center kicked our ass. Remember how LSU kicked our ass with their center? Even s. Carolina despite year beating them, kicked our ass. They are athletic, and taller by 3 inches or more.

I'm not saying we arent a very good team. But the top echelon teams have a center. It's also why we were desperately trying to find one on the off season. We are not as good as last year cud we had a center. A little short in the tourney but much more a center than Hannah. She is a forward.
Im a realist. You sound like an optimist. See you after the tourney. I hope you're right, btw.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Osu center,kicked our ass. Pennst center kicked our ass. Remember how LSU kicked our ass with their center? Even s. Carolina despite year beating them, kicked our ass. They are athletic, and taller by 3 inches or more.

I'm not saying we arent a very good team. But the top echelon teams have a center. It's also why we were desperately trying to find one on the off season. We are not as good as last year cud we had a center. A little short in the tourney but much more a center than Hannah. She is a forward.
Im a realist. You sound like an optimist. See you after the tourney. I hope you're right, btw.

Ok… and I guess you’re gonna have a tense tournament because we’ve already played a lot of GREAT centers and beat them….

Ps…Ohio sts center had 10 vs us, the 6 ft forward running over us in the paint killed us and PSUs two tallest players had a combined 17 & 5 rebounds…yikes!

If we hadn’t already played a bunch of tall athletic physical teams I’d be worried. I’m not overly worried..

No one thought we’d best USC last year…same oh, same oh…they are far from dominating and not as good as last year.

Last edited:

Nope, I’m a realist that is more pragmatic than anything else….

As I said, your fears lose most of their sting when framed through the teams we’ve already beat.

Except rebounding isn't as much of a "short-coming" as it was last year.......

Penn States raging bull, (who should have fouled out in a minute of play, if officials understood who creates the contact), isn't their center, and neither is Cody Mcmahon for OSU, just so your updated....

Lack of athleticism and size is Iowa's and Indiana's kryptonite. Iowa has skill but over 5 games maintaining 40 percent from 3 is hard to do. Iowa misses Czinzano as she was much more experienced and dependable in the post.

Reactions: amahawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT