ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN writers have South Carolina, UCLA & LSU in the Final Four w/ either Colorado, NC State or UConn as the 4th Team

Penn States raging bull, (who should have fouled out in a minute of play, if officials understood who creates the contact), isn't their center, and neither is Cody Mcmahon for OSU, just so your updated....

Here’s the deal…until otherwise noted, South Carolina is the best team and one to beat…

I also think a healthy K-St, a focused tOSU (well beat them at home by double digits) NC-st, LSU, the PAC schools are dangerous, but not anymore than us…

PSU played 10 girls and they were worn out at the end. Honestly more than her seismic bombs, her/their ability to get the ball and get up the floor puts a shit ton of pressure on teams and those 94 ft runouts that start with a full length pass and a layup have to be demoralizing..

Not to mention when she’s going downhill and finding shooters we are scary good!!

The thing about this team that pisses me off the most is their propensity to fall asleep on the defensive glass from time to time and it’s not because they aren’t good rebounders they’re like 17th in the nation. But we give up a lot of second chance points at times.

Reactions: amahawk
Lack of athleticism and size is Iowa's and Indiana's kryptonite. Iowa has skill but over 5 games maintaining 40 percent from 3 is hard to do. Iowa misses Czinzano as she was much more experienced and dependable in the post.
How bout a season? And your telling me Affolter, Feurbach, Martin, Clark and Stuelke aren’t athletic?

I’ll tell you this, all of those girls are way more athletic than Monica and Michelle Warnock!!

Davis who I once considered a minor liability is way more athletic than I realized and Mashall is a plus athlete. I honestly think people see white and make a decision about athleticism 😳

Reactions: kceasthawk
How bout a season? And your telling me Affolter, Feurbach, Martin, Clark and Stuelke aren’t athletic?

I’ll tell you this, all of those girls are way more athletic than Monica and Michelle Warnock!!

Davis who I once considered a minor liability is way more athletic than I realized and Mashall is a plus athlete. I honestly think people see white and make a decision about athleticism 😳
Lack of size and strength. Iowa play any SEC teams in noncon? How bad LSU beat Iowa in championship game last year? S. Carolina is better than last year. A lot will depend on draw and Espn is going to want Iowa in final four. If it is S. Carolina, Stanford, N C State Iowa better hope they play NC State. BIG other than top 3 are pretty weak. Don't be surprised if UConn isn't given a favorable draw as it sounds like Geno is retiring.

Share with us how iowa defends a team with a center 6ft4 avid athletic? He'll, pennant center was kicking our ass. We are a top ten team but Lsu is better. We don't want to play s. Carolina again. They will smoke us by 15 or more
Iowa has already beaten 3 teams with an elite center lol.
Even though she was big and strong I would not even consider trading last years Monica for this Kate Martin…she took coming back & winning seriously. She is playing her best basketball by far!!!!
Agree. Martin’s dependability at the perimeter has taken the place of Warnock, but she is better in the lane. Her paint points plus Stuelke’s efficiency/speed are helping replace Czinano just fine.

Last edited:
Lack of size and strength. Iowa play any SEC teams in noncon? How bad LSU beat Iowa in championship game last year? S. Carolina is better than last year. A lot will depend on draw and Espn is going to want Iowa in final four. If it is S. Carolina, Stanford, N C State Iowa better hope they play NC State. BIG other than top 3 are pretty weak. Don't be surprised if UConn isn't given a favorable draw as it sounds like Geno is retiring.

One dominant, SEC team…

A favorable UCONN draw won’t draw Iowa, until late.

I have not seen one, person suggest SC is better this year. They are not..

B1G is not nearly as elite, but still was shocked the schedule PSU played.

The SEC is even weaker than the BIG…

The PAC, Big 12 & ACC are all better…

We played and beat, and lost a close one to a dominant K-st (when healthy) team, that is huge.

They played and beat. What is currently the number one team in the ACC who again has an all American center @ 6-5 returning and a hell of a guard….

Stanford is highly beatable…

It’s not any harder to see what this team has done!

It ALL has to do with scheduling…always.

I have not seen one, person suggest SC is better this year. They are not.

A lot of people actually do think SC is better this year than last year. They are a more complete team, with better shooters and only a small drop off in post play, if any at all. The difference IMO is they are younger and so haven’t been as tested. Not as “polished” it seems, as well. I’ve also read that a couple shooters are having a bit of a lull…but they’re likely to come out of it considering their levels of athleticism.

Iowa has already beaten 3 teams with an elite center lol.

Agree. Martin’s dependability at the perimeter has taken the place of Warnock, but she is better in the lane. Her paint points plus Stuelke’s efficiency/speed are helping replace Czinano just fine.

We are better defensively by far and I was shocked to find out, rebounding by quite a margin.

As for Martin, she is the poster child of what I have started to see..

My evolution in women’s basketball has been fairly recent, I had one of my daughters and two of my sons all play basketball, and I’ve watched CC play pretty much every game I could in the last two years…(most)

But I wasn’t really aware of several things… I had thought last year’s team was a pretty good rebounding team, a very good offensive team, and very weak at defense…

Much to my surprise, they were pretty much pure raw offense, as the rebounding was a bit of a problem last year, I had forgotten!

They got hot late and played their asses off…

This year I will also admit the first 10 games I didn’t think they were near as good and let’s be honest they weren’t near as good as Big Ten/NCAA tournament Iowa from last year…

But here’s what I didn’t know… Kate Martin is not only a terrific clutch shooter. She is a banging rebounder, and actually has enough handles to take it to the rack!!

MD, hell, I thought she was a potential liability last year and still this year. Holy shit was I wrong about that. She is perfectly capable of running this team without Caitlyn and it still be top 25. No not top 10 but they are still a very good team. She is way quicker than I guessed, way more proficient in the Lane than I would’ve guessed and a pretty, darn good rebounder for her size!!

Stuelke I expected a lot from, and for the most part she’s been well above average, and I’m not even counting the 47 point game from yesterday that was awesome. In fact, if it hadn’t been for injuries and foul trouble, I believe she would be even further along. It will hurt us badly if we can’t keep her in the game over the last couple months of the season.

And Affolter, WOW!!! I’ve been going back and looking at some stats. Does anyone remember she only played 15 minutes versus Virginia Tech but had two points and 14 rebounds and two steals… In 15 minutes!!!

The center play has been a disappointment, but O’Grady who I personally wish had been playing from the start. I know she struggled early, but she’s our best option and I’m happy to see this Edinger get in lately.

So here’s the truth this team is better offensively, we’ve shot more threes and made pretty much the same percentage & our field-goal percentage overall is is still above 50 last year it was 51.7 I think…

We are faster up & down the floor…

We are significantly better on defense…

We are shockingly way better at rebounding…

Every player on this team that plays a role is wildly better than last year’s versions, and without Monica and Warnock, we are a much better defensive and rebounding team, go figure!!

We are better, it may still not be enough, but I wouldn’t trade this team for last years.

We will have major problems if we ever get KM in foul trouble, it doesn’t happen often, but it did vers Ohio State and Hannah both… We are in big trouble!

So yes, we have issues but last year’s team with Monica is not better than this year’s team without…

Would it still be nice to have Monica in “this” team, sure but there’s always trade-offs!!

Share with us how iowa defends a team with a center 6ft4 avid athletic? He'll, pennant center was kicking our ass. We are a top ten team but Lsu is better. We don't want to play s. Carolina again. They will smoke us by 15 or more
We scored 111 points last night. Not sure what you’re not understanding. Our pace of play is extremely hard to keep up with. After the other team scores it’s not easy for a lumbering Center from the other team to keep up with Stuelke sprinting the other way. They tried something different last night on Clark so just dished the ball. I mean you certainly could be right, LSU is pretty loaded along with SC obviously. LSU has zero bench. What happens if Morrow or Reese get in foul trouble? Clark is way better than last year. Hannah is more athletic and faster than Monica. Martin is better. Another year.

A lot of people actually do think SC is better this year than last year. They are a more complete team, with better shooters and only a small drop off in post play, if any at all. The difference IMO is they are younger and so haven’t been as tested. Not as “polished” it seems, as well. I’ve also read that a couple shooters are having a bit of a lull…but they’re likely to come out of it considering their levels of athleticism.

I like reading your stuff, but where Iowa started a little slow, in that, I don’t think many thought they had what it takes. But they are slowly building momentum, and this Stuelke game is a further coming out that has people buzzing that they’re the real deal….

Again South Carolina deserves their props. They are to me, clearly the best team and yes, I think all of their athleticism had people suggesting they were going to be better, but you kind of nailed it, they have fallen into some lulls and they are not dominating teams like past South Carolina teams have…

Your premise per usual tracks. I guess I’m just looking at trajectories and ours is trending, theirs is flat. An extremely high 😀”flat” above every else, but I believe they are thought to be vulnerable in comparison.

There is this weird vibe that they need to play & beat Iowa. I believe that game stung DS.

Mulkey is just a bully, she’s a hell of a coach, but she’s an effing bully… And likes to say shitty, snarky things. DS may have some racial things, and I really don’t blame her for that, but I think she likes the beauty of basketball, and I think she would like to give this girl props, but I think it was a big deal, them losing to us last year…

I know I’m over thinking this, but it just feels strange. I believe we are in for a hell of a year in women’s basketball, and I can’t hardly believe I’m saying that out loud….DOH!!!

We scored 111 points last night. Not sure what you’re not understanding. Our pace of play is extremely hard to keep up with. After the other team scores it’s not easy for a lumbering Center from the other team to keep up with Stuelke sprinting the other way. They tried something different last night on Clark so just dished the ball. I mean you certainly could be right, LSU is pretty loaded along with SC obviously. LSU has zero bench. What happens if Morrow or Reese get in foul trouble? Clark is way better than last year. Hannah is more athletic and faster than Monica. Martin is better. Another year.

Yes…, I’m not sure why we have our own fans fighting us on this. And I know that may seem like a ridiculous statement coming from me, but holy shit those four girls, I’ve mentioned, are astronomically better than last year’s version of themselves…

Here’s the deal, yes, it would be great to have a 64 center, but the totality of this team has far out, paced the loss of Warnock and Monica…

Yes, we may still struggle with a 64 or 65 center that doesn’t mean placing Monica back on this team would even make it better…. we’d have to play differently.

Osu center,kicked our ass. Pennst center kicked our ass. Remember how LSU kicked our ass with their center? Even s. Carolina despite year beating them, kicked our ass. They are athletic, and taller by 3 inches or more.

I'm not saying we arent a very good team. But the top echelon teams have a center. It's also why we were desperately trying to find one on the off season. We are not as good as last year cud we had a center. A little short in the tourney but much more a center than Hannah. She is a forward.
Im a realist. You sound like an optimist. See you after the tourney. I hope you're right, btw.
OSU center was ok, but only had a few 3s. If you are talking McMahon, she travelled all over the court and had home cooking refs bail her out. Most games, she would have been fouled out w 15 points on that performance.

OSU center was ok, but only had a few 3s. If you are talking McMahon, she travelled all over the court and had home cooking refs bail her out. Most games, she would have been fouled out w 15 points on that performance.

Strong, but you’re overall premise is correct, no way in hell she should’ve had 33 points, she was flat rolling over people, often traveling and fouling at the same time!

ESPN may want Iowa in the Final Four, but they want South Carolina and LSU in the final. They’re thinking beyond one game ratings. An all SEC final raises the SEC brand, which ESPN effectively owns.

Here’s the deal…until otherwise noted, South Carolina is the best team and one to beat…

I also think a healthy K-St, a focused tOSU (well beat them at home by double digits) NC-st, LSU, the PAC schools are dangerous, but not anymore than us…

PSU played 10 girls and they were worn out at the end. Honestly more than her seismic bombs, her/their ability to get the ball and get up the floor puts a shit ton of pressure on teams and those 94 ft runouts that start with a full length pass and a layup have to be demoralizing..

Not to mention when she’s going downhill and finding shooters we are scary good!!

The thing about this team that pisses me off the most is their propensity to fall asleep on the defensive glass from time to time and it’s not because they aren’t good rebounders they’re like 17th in the nation. But we give up a lot of second chance points at times.

One thing I can say is it is nice to finally see some parity in women's college basketball.

Girls are FINALLY realizing that they don't have to go to UConn to be noticed and to be a star.

And now with NIL, people are seeing that a 5 star player can go to little ol' Iowa and make a LOT of money.

People are also seeing how Iowa plays. A lot of players enjoy the up tempo game.

One thing I can say is it is nice to finally see some parity in women's college basketball.

Girls are FINALLY realizing that they don't have to go to UConn to be noticed and to be a star.

And now with NIL, people are seeing that a 5 star player can go to little ol' Iowa and make a LOT of money.

People are also seeing how Iowa plays. A lot of players enjoy the up tempo game.

Absolutely on all accounts!

One dominant, SEC team…

A favorable UCONN draw won’t draw Iowa, until late.

I have not seen one, person suggest SC is better this year. They are not..

B1G is not nearly as elite, but still was shocked the schedule PSU played.

The SEC is even weaker than the BIG…

The PAC, Big 12 & ACC are all better…

We played and beat, and lost a close one to a dominant K-st (when healthy) team, that is huge.

They played and beat. What is currently the number one team in the ACC who again has an all American center @ 6-5 returning and a hell of a guard….

Stanford is highly beatable…

It’s not any harder to see what this team has done!

It ALL has to do with scheduling…always.

Here's the SC stats comparing this year to last.

Some things that stand out:

* SC is shooting WAY BETTER from 3.
* Rebounding Margin is worse this year
* Steals are up
* They still BLOCK a LOT of shots

PPG.....,.....80.3...88.8
Opp.....,,....51.8....53.9
Diff......,.....28.6....34.9

FG%.......46.2%...51.4%
Opp.........32.1%...30.9%

3 PT%....31.0%...40.9%
Opp........26.6%...27.0%

FT%........68.9%....67.1%
Opp.........70.9%...66.4%

Rebs........49.5.........47.2
Opp......,..29.1..........33.9
Diff...........20.4.........13.3

Assts.......16.6..........19.2
TOs..........12.6..........12.9

Steal..........6.7............9.1
Blocks.....8.8.............8.6

As I noted in the previous post, SC's rebounding margin is 13.3 (down from 20.4 last year).

Iowa's rebounding margin is 9.3 (last year it was just 4.2).

The Stats can be found here:

Just got to hope we don’t get matched up with South Carolina in a regional. That would probably require multiple losses before the big ten title game to get paired with them as a two seed. Nice to avoid athletic teams like LSU as a three or four seed too.

The so-called sports writers did not have Iowa in the final four last year either. If this year's Iowa roster had UCONN on their jersey. Oh, absolutely yes, Final Four team.

Repeat of last year's final four is a big ask.
CC will have to be her superhuman self during the tourney and her supporting cast will need to step up for a multi game string for that to happen.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I do not see Iowa as a Final Four team this season. Just not enough talent to work with CC to get there. The bulldozer at OSU and the clunker at Nebraska showed that this is true.

• Angry
Reactions: Underscore2
I do not see Iowa as a Final Four team this season. Just not enough talent to work with CC to get there. The bulldozer at OSU and the clunker at Nebraska showed that this is true.
Besides S Carolina every team has lost road games. We lead OSU who is now number 2 in the country most of the game in front of 18,000 people. I’ve watched UConn play and this is not even close to a top 10 UConn team over the years. Besides S Carolina there’s nobody out there we can’t beat if we’re at the top of our game.

These arguments all make perfect sense....just like they did last year. National consensus was that the only way Iowa could stay close to South Carolina was to shoot 50% from 3 and somehow stay close on the boards.

We shot 7/23 from 3 for 30%; South Carolina crushed us on the boards 49-25, including 26 offensive rebounds.

Sounds like a 25 point drubbing, right?

We all know how that game ended. Is there another team whose post player can run the floor anywhere close to Hannah? Does any other team have a nearly unstoppable player who makes everyone else around her better?

Is there another team who has equal experience of being there and knowing what it takes to survive March Madness? There could be, but not many. Don't discard this team until March rolls around and they've been eliminated.

I feel we have as good of a chance as almost anyone else to get to Cleveland for the Final Four.

Cleveland!? I'd lose just so I didn't have to go there.

No reason why we can't win out before the NCAA tournament. Would that be enough to end up the third or fouth 1 seed?

Last edited:
Avoid South Carolina if we fall to a two seed. I don’t think they’d put Ohio State and Iowa as a 1 and 2 seed in a bracket. So, the other one seed to avoid is probably Stanford. After that having NC State, K State, UCLA, Colorado or Texas is probably fine opposite Iowa as 1 or 2 seed. Really would like to avoid a UConn or LSU as a three or four seed.

Avoid South Carolina if we fall to a two seed. I don’t think they’d put Ohio State and Iowa as a 1 and 2 seed in a bracket. So, the other one seed to avoid is probably Stanford. After that having NC State, K State, UCLA, Colorado or Texas is probably fine opposite Iowa as 1 or 2 seed. Really would like to avoid a UConn or LSU as a three or four seed.
I think Clark would welcome Stanford or UConn and so would I. Both are vulnerable. I think we would have beat either in the tourney last year and can do it again this year. I’d rather play them than NC State.

We are unlikely to be in the same bracket as CO, LSU, SC, Louisville as the committee tries to avoid rematches before the Final 4. The optics of SC / LSU vs Iowa would be especially bad as well. If we play OSU or Indiana 3x due to the B1G tourney, then that is also highly unlikely to be a match up before the Final 4 for the same reason.

Here is the first Top-16 reveal, announced on Feb 15th. A second Top-16 reveal will take place on Feb. 29.

IF Iowa (Portland 4 region) were fortunate to make the Final 4, they would likely face South Carolina (Albany 1 region).

The 4 brackets and top 16 teams as of Feb 15:

Albany 1
1 South Carolina
7 UCLA
12 UConn
16 Louisville

Portland 4
4 Colorado
5 IOWA
10 Virginia Tech
13 Kansas State

Albany 3
3 Ohio State
6 NC State
9 Southern California
14 LSU

Portland 2
2 Stanford
8 Texas
11 Oregon St
15 Indiana

The Top-16 teams, in order, are:
1 South Carolina
2 Stanford
3 Ohio State
4 Colorado
5 Iowa
6 NC State
7 UCLA
8 Texas
9 Southern California
10 Virginia Tech
11 Oregon State
12 UConn
13 Kansas State
14 LSU
15 Indiana
16 Louisville

The Story:

Last edited:
Colorado just lost to Utah. They now have 5 losses but none of them are as bad as our loss to Nebraska. And their PG, Sherrod, was apparently injured and it didn’t look great.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Franisdaman
Win the B10 tournament and they'll be a number one seed even if they lose another one in the regular season before that. Pac 12 winner will likely get one, B10 winner will likely get one, and the fourth is up for grabs. I'd guess if NC State wins the ACC tourney they'd get it since the other two conferences will knock each other out in their tournaments.

Didn't want to start a thread, but whenever they post some highlights, check out the last 30 seconds of the Oregon St./UCLA game. Crazy ending.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Wasn't SC unbeaten last year and was heavily favored to win it all last year? Shit happens....But I would agree they are better this year and my money would go on them to win it all. It's hard to beat a team with 7 five star players and we have only the best one...Their height will beat most teams!
The main factor will be fouls in the big games....

Last edited:
Reactions: littlez
How long before NCAA changes men's games to be 4th quarters and allowing advancing the ball to half court after timeout? It's such a fun product.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT