ADVERTISEMENT

Fatties are upset that they can't squeeze into the new Mario Kart attraction at Universal Studios....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Super Nintendo World made a splashy debut at Universal Studios Hollywood this month with its soft opening, and gamers and tourists alike raced to see what the park had to offer and to get in line to test out its highly-anticipated Mario Kart ride.

Featuring slow-moving carts painted in different colors, the augmented reality experience that places riders inside Bowser’s castle was destined to be a hit among Mario-lovers everywhere, but one detail about the ride is getting under some people’s skin.

“Nothing but wonderful things to say about Super Nintendo World except this: the body size limitations on the Mario Kart ride are absolutely ridiculous. I’ve never had any issue fitting into any ride in my entire life, and I can BARELY fit into this one. Completely absurd,” influencer Rocco Botte wrote, blasting the ride’s narrow seats on Twitter.

Another one of the ride’s critics, a Twitter user named Anna, wrote, “Can we discuss how at my biggest I would not have been able to fit on Mario Kart? A 40-inch waist line is about a size 20. Are you freaking kidding me @UniStudios? It’s a DARK RIDE.”

“You can’t have a mario kart ride that Bowser and DK wouldn’t even be allowed on. Dumb,” a third user named Zaha wrote.

Postcast host Matt Mazany chimed in on the topic on Twitter as well, writing, “Trust me when I say ‘lose a little weight’ is not a novel suggestion. Universal has a history now of releasing new rides (Harry Potter, Life of Pets, and now Mario Kart where they don’t accommodate big people yet they WILL take full admission price from us. Seems unethical.”

TikToker David Vaughn gave his followers a heads up about the size restriction on the video-sharing platform, saying. “Unfortunately, the new Mario Kart Bowser’s Challenge attraction comes with a warning that guests whose waistline is at least 40 inches or greater may not be accommodated on the ride.”

“Though there is a test seat at the attraction entrance, it’s frustrating that theme parks are still creating family-friendly attractions that aren’t accessible to many of their guests.”

As Vaughn’s video mentioned, Universal Studios’ website says a “test seat” is available at the entrance so visitors can test whether their size will be accommodated on the actual ride.

“This ride employs safety restraints which may restrict certain guests from riding due to body shape and size,” the guidelines read. “Guests whose waist line is at least 40 inches or greater may not be accommodated on the ride and are strongly encouraged to try the test seat provided at the entrance of the attraction to ensure their ability to ride.”

CDC statistics show that to be a problematic number for ride goers, however, indicating that the average U.S. male scantily exceeds the 40-inch limit with a waist circumference of 40.5-inch while the average woman’s waist circumference measures 38.7-inch, leaving people to ask if the requirement is far too restrictive as some claim.

As some tweets mentioned, Universal Studios has come under fire for the same circumference issue with other rides in the past, including the popular “Harry Potter” ride.

Super Nintendo World offers more than the Mario Kart ride, however, including adorable Mario-themed pit stops, a shop chock-full of Super Mario goods, chances to meet and greet your favorite Nintendo characters and the Toadstool Café where visitors can enjoy Nintendo-themed foods.

The park’s grand opening is expected to take place on February 17.

giphy.gif

Postcast host Matt Mazany chimed in on the topic on Twitter as well, writing, “Trust me when I say ‘lose a little weight’ is not a novel suggestion. Universal has a history now of releasing new rides (Harry Potter, Life of Pets, and now Mario Kart where they don’t accommodate big people yet they WILL take full admission price from us. Seems unethical.”

Unethical? Seems like a great deal....shipping increased tonnage at the same price? GTFO with that....

Universal doesn’t care about your body positivity.

I would pay good money to see open entry scooter races at Disney. Offer a $200 prize and turn them loose on the Indy 500 track a couple times a day.

I've never had issues with seats not being wide enough, but there are plenty of rides that aren't too comfortable at 6' 4".
My issue isn't with the seat width, it's the ones that have the shoulder harness that lowers down over your head.

Katie-Holmes-at-Six-Flags-Great-Adventure.jpg

I don't know whether it's my height, torso length, or what, but I've had ones I can't ride because that harness hits my shoulders too high and won't go down to buckle unless I figure out a way to scrunch down somehow - it's really uncomfortable.

Fat people expect there to be no consequences for their lifestyles. Even worse, they now want the rest of us to proclaim this as an attractive body type. And if anyone who isn't fat expresses any type of positivity about their own body, then they are "fat shaming" by doing so. Its all just getting a little bit tiresome. But with Americans only getting fatter, they're going to get their way in the end I guess.

Was at Adventureland a year ago or two, can't remember.

They had a new ride where a lap bar had to come down and lock into place for it to go.

I felt terrible when a kid, maybe 16 years old had to get off as the bar couldn't lock.

Waited forever in line and then had to get off as he was too big. Not his fault, his parents were also big.

I really hope it was an eye opener and he's slimmed down. Just felt so bad for him.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
My issue isn't with the seat width, it's the ones that have the shoulder harness that lowers down over your head.

Katie-Holmes-at-Six-Flags-Great-Adventure.jpg

I don't know whether it's my height, torso length, or what, but I've had ones I can't ride because that harness hits my shoulders too high and won't go down to buckle unless I figure out a way to scrunch down somehow - it's really uncomfortable.
Nope that’s a dude, 3 (probably drunk, maybe not), 2, 1.

Whatever method has them left to right starting with the dude ending with the hottie with the glasses.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
It’s shocking to me that 2/3rds of Americans are overweight - but everyone here is fit

More than 2/3 of adults are either overweight or obese. The fatties are going to win in the end.

And no, they aren’t big boned and they weren’t born with medical conditions that predisposed them to being fat. They have made lifestyle decisions that have caused their fatness
I agree that lifestyle choices and making fitness a priority are huge but I was one of the lucky ones who was born with good genetics. I've always been able to eat what I want but not gain weight if I remain fairly active and if I really work out the results come fairly easy. Many have an infinitely tougher battle with the genetics they inherit so I won't chastise too much. It's just not as simple as fat=lazy

I agree that lifestyle choices and making fitness a priority are huge but I was one of the lucky ones who was born with good genetics. I've always been able to eat what I want but not gain weight if I remain fairly active and if I really work out the results come fairly easy. Many have an infinitely tougher battle with the genetics they inherit so I won't chastise too much. It's just not as simple as fat=lazy

I think you’re discounting how few people are “fairly active”

Reactions: EagleHawk

I will. If you’re fat then you’re lazy.

I will. If you’re fat then you’re lazy.
I don't think that's the case in all circumstances.

I am at least 25-30 pounds overweight --- wear a 38 inch waist pants --- and I exercise 3-5 times a week, bike, ski, fish, hike and play golf.

I just love food and drink too much beer and other booze to drop the excess poundage.

I call my lifestyle "fit fat" :)

I am at least 25-30 pounds overweight --- wear a 38 inch waist pants --- and I exercise 3-5 times a week, bike, ski, fish, hike and play golf.

I just love food and drink too much beer and other booze to drop the excess poundage.

Being overweight and being fat, to me, are different. You have a dad bod but can still be active and exercise. A fat person doesn’t exercise, eats like shit, has a large amount of excess weight. That’s a fat person.

C'mon Torbee, anything that you're drinking while doing is not exercise

I told my story on my old screen name.

Was 500lbs in Jan of 2020.
Just weighed myself today and I’m 297

Losing weight is the hardest thing I have ever done. Harder than quitting drinking.

Many obese people have an unhealthy relationship with food, where there are treating one problem by eating too much or shitty.

I feel bad for these people, because it’s embarrassing. Hopefully it’s a wake up call.

Just double down on the fishing and golfing and I'm sure it will all work out

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT