ADVERTISEMENT

Free seats for fatties on Southwest!

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Low-cost carrier Southwest Airlines is being celebrated by "passengers of size" on TikTok after they discovered they can request complimentary seats – one or two, depending on needs – to accommodate their girth.

Customers whose bodies "encroach" past the armrest are entitled to an extra seat, according to Southwest's inclusion policy. They are currently one of the few, if not the only, airlines to offer free seats to larger passengers.

Southwest provided its policy to Fox Business which said that passengers of size "have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing your seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at the departure gate. If it’s determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, you’ll be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat."

The flight team will then try to effort to make the seating arrangements, potentially moving other passengers around for the "unplanned accommodation."

Alternatively, customers can purchase extra seats in advance and then contact Southwest "for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel."

The policy states, "Customers who encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s) may proactively purchase the needed number of seats prior to travel to ensure the additional seat(s) is available… The purchase of additional seats serves as a notification of a special seating need and allows us to adequately plan for the number of occupied seats onboard."

"It also helps us ensure we can accommodate all Customers on the flight for which they purchased a ticket and avoid asking Customers to relinquish their seats for unplanned accommodation. Most importantly, it ensures that all Customers onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating. You may contact us for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel," the policy continues.

A plus-size travel expert and TikToker, Jae'lynn Chaney, told Fox News Digital it was an important move to include people in the "super fat" category.

"Super fat is how we identify," Chaney, business owner of Jae Bae Productions, said. "There's a spectrum of fatness. And as a super fat individual, you start needing different accommodations… I just felt really happy that there was something like this for people."

"I hope to see more airlines implement customer-of-size policies. The Southwest customer size policy helps many travelers offset the disproportionate costs that we incur because of needing extra room. And so, it's not just about physical accessibility. It's also about financial accessibility."

TikTokers who have recently discovered the policy have amassed hundreds of thousands of views on the platform showing themselves walking up to Southwest Airlines employees and successfully nailing down their extra seat(s) on Southwest flights free of charge.

A self-described "Fat Solo Traveler" posted a video on TikTok that went viral, obtaining nearly 1,000,000 views since October, showing how she got a complimentary seat.

Kimmy (@kimmystyled) went up to the airline booth and said, "Hello, I'm hoping to use your customer of size policy today."

The Southwest employee then handed Kimmy another ticket at no cost for her extra seat.

"Southwest is the only airline that allows you a second seat at no extra cost even if the flight is fully booked… I've done this a dozen times and never had an issue or been denied," she said.

Kimmy also said that she is allowed to "preboard" with the accommodation.

"Enter the aircraft, get your seatbelt extender and grab your seat! I place the ticket in the seat next to me… If anyone tries to sit in it I kindly let them know I have two seats booked. To be honest, I almost never get approached because no one wants to sit in the middle seat next to a fat person on a plane," she said.

Kimmy said she "applaud" Southwest for making public transportation "accessible and comfortable for all."

How does GIAHORT feel about this?

Last edited:
I hardly ever fly Southwest anymore but remember back when I did seeing the fatties walk down the aisle and hoping they did not choose to sit next to me.

Reactions: dekhawk
Here's plus-size travel expert and TikToker, Jae'lynn Chaney:

Jae-Bae-super-fat.jpg

JAe-Bae-super-fat-new.jpg

I am not perfectly fit, but fit into a seat fine….now what I would like to know is if they will upgrade me free of charge so I can have more legroom to accommodate my height? If so I will happily take them up on that offer.

And just so you know….if you are a person who reclines your airplane seat, you are what’s wrong with humanity…

I had a fatty on southwest cram herself into the middle seat last week. I thought it might just be her coat that made her poof but knew that wasn't the case when she asked for an extension.

she sat leaning forward and was more rounded than anything, still kind of firm - so i was basically pinned in the seat by her and her poofy coat. At first, I was disgusted but when we hit some turbulence and i realized that i was going to stay warm and comfortably-pinned, i was basically ok with it. overall not my favorite situation but not nearly as bad as i first thought it might be

I flew SW over the weekend with a super fat. Didn't know they had a designation for it, but they did have a special cart waiting for him at the terminal when we got to our destination.
Looked like one of those NFL injury carts & he got loaded onto the back of it & was whisked away.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
Dang, I need to gain some weight. So not only are they getting extra space for free, but there are always 4-5+ fatties that get to board first during pre-board with Southwest. I love it when they need a wheelchair to board but can magically walk off the plane when we land.

Reactions: steelhawkeye
Dang, I need to gain some weight. So not only are they getting extra space for free, but there are always 4-5+ fatties that get to board first during pre-board with Southwest. I love it when they need a wheelchair to board but can magically walk off the plane when we land.

That's the Jetway Miracle.

Do I think you’re a bad person if you are fat, no.

Do I hate that you’re fat, yes. Being fat fat is fuking gross and people should feel ashamed

What about the super smelly people. Granted the fat and smelly seem to converge quiet a bit.

Can’t wait to join the mile high club with some of these fatties

You bringing some lard or shortening onboard to squeeze both of you into the lavatory? I’ve seen phone booths that are bigger than airline lavatories.

I had a fatty on southwest cram herself into the middle seat last week. I thought it might just be her coat that made her poof but knew that wasn't the case when she asked for an extension.

she sat leaning forward and was more rounded than anything, still kind of firm - so i was basically pinned in the seat by her and her poofy coat. At first, I was disgusted but when we hit some turbulence and i realized that i was going to stay warm and comfortably-pinned, i was basically ok with it. overall not my favorite situation but not nearly as bad as i first thought it might be
I hope your enthusiasm for the situation was relayed to the chubby seatmate.

Did you comment about how safe and comfortable it felt sitting next to a fatty? It would have relieved some of her stress and made her feel better about herself. You would have become her favorite airline passenger ever.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
I hope your enthusiasm for the situation was relayed to the chubby seatmate.

Did you comment about how safe and comfortable it felt sitting next to a fatty? It would have relieved some of her stress and made her feel better about herself. You would have become her favorite airline passenger ever.

She needed a friend. I was on the aisle, my wife on the aisle across from me and her friend was in the middle next to my wife.

(Diagram: Window Seat/Fatty/Me______Wife/Fatty's Friend/Window Seat)

My wife offered to have me move to the middle next to her so that her friend could sit next to the fatty, and she said no......so even fatty's friend wanted nothing to do with sitting next to her

Time to start shoving little Timmy down the front of your pants and shirt and letting him ride in the fat seat and not have to pay for another seat.

Low-cost carrier Southwest Airlines is being celebrated by "passengers of size" on TikTok after they discovered they can request complimentary seats – one or two, depending on needs – to accommodate their girth.

Customers whose bodies "encroach" past the armrest are entitled to an extra seat, according to Southwest's inclusion policy. They are currently one of the few, if not the only, airlines to offer free seats to larger passengers.

Southwest provided its policy to Fox Business which said that passengers of size "have the option of purchasing just one seat and then discussing your seating needs with the Customer Service Agent at the departure gate. If it’s determined that a second (or third) seat is needed, you’ll be accommodated with a complimentary additional seat."

The flight team will then try to effort to make the seating arrangements, potentially moving other passengers around for the "unplanned accommodation."

Alternatively, customers can purchase extra seats in advance and then contact Southwest "for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel."

The policy states, "Customers who encroach upon any part of the neighboring seat(s) may proactively purchase the needed number of seats prior to travel to ensure the additional seat(s) is available… The purchase of additional seats serves as a notification of a special seating need and allows us to adequately plan for the number of occupied seats onboard."

"It also helps us ensure we can accommodate all Customers on the flight for which they purchased a ticket and avoid asking Customers to relinquish their seats for unplanned accommodation. Most importantly, it ensures that all Customers onboard have access to safe and comfortable seating. You may contact us for a refund of the cost of additional seating after travel," the policy continues.

A plus-size travel expert and TikToker, Jae'lynn Chaney, told Fox News Digital it was an important move to include people in the "super fat" category.

"Super fat is how we identify," Chaney, business owner of Jae Bae Productions, said. "There's a spectrum of fatness. And as a super fat individual, you start needing different accommodations… I just felt really happy that there was something like this for people."

"I hope to see more airlines implement customer-of-size policies. The Southwest customer size policy helps many travelers offset the disproportionate costs that we incur because of needing extra room. And so, it's not just about physical accessibility. It's also about financial accessibility."

TikTokers who have recently discovered the policy have amassed hundreds of thousands of views on the platform showing themselves walking up to Southwest Airlines employees and successfully nailing down their extra seat(s) on Southwest flights free of charge.

A self-described "Fat Solo Traveler" posted a video on TikTok that went viral, obtaining nearly 1,000,000 views since October, showing how she got a complimentary seat.

Kimmy (@kimmystyled) went up to the airline booth and said, "Hello, I'm hoping to use your customer of size policy today."

The Southwest employee then handed Kimmy another ticket at no cost for her extra seat.

"Southwest is the only airline that allows you a second seat at no extra cost even if the flight is fully booked… I've done this a dozen times and never had an issue or been denied," she said.

Kimmy also said that she is allowed to "preboard" with the accommodation.

"Enter the aircraft, get your seatbelt extender and grab your seat! I place the ticket in the seat next to me… If anyone tries to sit in it I kindly let them know I have two seats booked. To be honest, I almost never get approached because no one wants to sit in the middle seat next to a fat person on a plane," she said.

Kimmy said she "applaud" Southwest for making public transportation "accessible and comfortable for all."

How does GIAHORT feel about this?
Like most HORTers, I am strapping with broad shoulders. They don’t fit in the space allocated. Do I also get an extra seat even though it is my shoulders and upper arms taking up too much space rather that folds and folds of blubber?

I'm not really sure why this bothers so many of you. Would you rather sit next to a "super fat" person crammed into 1 seat? This is as much a benefit for your comfort as it is for theirs. Whether Southwest wants to charge for that or not is really not my concern. I fit comfortably into one seat so as long as no one is encroaching on my seat then all is good in my world. Southwest doesn't really have extra legroom seats but it would be nice if they did. I suppose exit row. Maybe board in an early group as a traveler that needs extra assistance.

Like most HORTers, I am strapping with broad shoulders. They don’t fit in the space allocated. Do I also get an extra seat even though it is my shoulders and upper arms taking up too much space rather that folds and folds of blubber?
If you book Southwest call them and ask. Let them know that your shoulders impede on the seat next to you and they probably would. Passenger of size doesn't have to mean fat. I would certainly appreciate it if people with extra broad shoulders got an extra seat.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I'm not really sure why this bothers so many of you. Would you rather sit next to a "super fat" person crammed into 1 seat? This is as much a benefit for your comfort as it is for theirs. Whether Southwest wants to charge for that or not is really not my concern. I fit comfortably into one seat so as long as no one is encroaching on my seat then all is good in my world. Southwest doesn't really have extra legroom seats but it would be nice if they did. I suppose exit row. Maybe board in an early group as a traveler that needs extra assistance.
Its Going Down GIF by Philips Norelco

• Haha
Reactions: 3boysmom
If you book Southwest call them and ask. Let them know that your shoulders impede on the seat next to you and they probably would. Passenger of size doesn't have to mean fat. I would certainly appreciate it if people with extra broad shoulders got an extra seat.
Get out of here with your facts and reasoning. Just kidding. It never occurred to me that one could do that. I usually just make on if my kids sit next to me in the middle row and I slop onto their space.

Reactions: 3boysmom
If you're taking up two seats you should pay for two seats. It's about basic fairness.
Fairness to who? You? Practically no 2 people in a flight paid the same price for their seats with just the way airlines are constantly changing the pricing on a seat. How is it fair to the person who bought their seat early to have to pay more for a flight than the person who bought it later but the price dropped because the flight wasn't selling as quickly as expected? The airline is the only entity that is losing money on this and they are seemingly okay with it.

Fairness to who? You? Practically no 2 people in a flight paid the same price for their seats with just the way airlines are constantly changing the pricing on a seat. How is it fair to the person who bought their seat early to have to pay more for a flight than the person who bought it later but the price dropped because the flight wasn't selling as quickly as expected? The airline is the only entity that is losing money on this and they are seemingly okay with it.

Everybody paid SOMETHING.

Whether someone scored a good deal on a Southwest $29 fare sale is besides the point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT