ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz Fatigue

Are you ready for a change? I appreciate the guy but am tired of him.
To answer your question, yes.

The bottom line is Iowa football has become stale and boring. I am just tired of the same old same old with the Iowa offense. Sure, the formations are a little different and the play calling is a little different, but it’s the same issues every time Iowa plays a quality opponent:

1. Mediocre to terrible quarterback play.
2. Limited play makers at WR.
3. Mediocre to terrible OL play.
4. Dumbass coaching decisions.

Rinse and repeat from one year to the next.

It's interesting because I barely watched the game yesterday. Between NIL money, transfer portal, and House ruling, I sort of don't care about watching college athletics anymore. Ferentz fatigue just meant I don't watch the hawks.
Like I said earlier, I actually stopped watching the game and went out to dinner. I don’t watch Iowa basketball anymore. I don’t have the excitement for Iowa football now either. It’s no longer a priority.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
Why appreciate him? What has he done besides give us pussy football? Take away his 2 amazing d coordinators who bailed him out time and time again what has he done? Especially the last 10 years. He's been a far net negative to Iowa football the last 10. I'll celebrate when he's gone and be pissed thinking about how much better it would have been without him
Two answer your first sentence.. I appreciate the 2000s - two big 10 titles and an Orange Bowl win, but that's water under the bridge. He's done SQUAT in the 15 years since then.

Outside of 2002-04 and 2009, KF has been pretty average. Guess I can acknowledge a solid job in 2015 but that Rose Bowl was a complete exposing of us as pretenders.

I can't disagree with this post.

Two levels of equal frustration.
1) 2 chances to give Stoops the job and failed both times.
2) The fans/media who have empowered KF for 25 years with, "I wouldn't want anyone else, he's so likable" ... as if the reason the football program exists is so the University can provide a service pet to the friendless fans.

2) The fans/media who have empowered KF for 25 years with, "I wouldn't want anyone else, he's so likable" ... as if the reason the football program exists is so the University can provide a service pet to the friendless fans.
The fundamental problem with Iowa football in a nutshell. Kirk also treats his staff as if it’s a fraternity. Too many “yes” men with too much job security.

The fundamental problem with Iowa football in a nutshell. Kirk also treats his staff as if it’s a fraternity. Too many “yes” men with too much job security.
Interesting thing about KF. He was hired at the same time that social media was becoming a "thing". I noticed the BDSM relationship between him and the "crowd" early on.
25 years of "it's KOKs fault ... Greg Davis' fault ... Parker's fault ... Brian's fault ... Lester's fault ... player's fault ... fan's fault ... referee's fault ... Iowa's fault for not having a larger population".
25 years of watching people twist themselves into a Pretzel to exonerate the person who was really at fault. But that cult was developed purposefully. Sports reporters and message board admins were pressured to enforce "the narrative". The voice of the fans was suppressed by those in charge so annual raises and extensions could be handed out, not just to coaches, but to Athletic Directors and University Presidents. Ambitious people are insidious.
George-Carlin-300x250.jpg

The defense lost this one. As bad as Cade played - they gave up too many big plays when it mattered.

But yes, it’s been time for a change for a while. Iowa fans are scared of being terrible. But we will never be great with Kirk. He’s had the keys for 25 years. Someone else needs a shot.
BS.

2 First and Goals on the 2 and 3 for 6 pts.

Defense did not play at the level they did last year but yesterday is NOT on them.

If Iowa had a solid 2-point play, they could have used it on first and goal inside the five-yard line. They didn't.
I’d love to know iowas success rate on 2 pt plays under ferentz. I know it’s under 50%. Question is how low. Huge X factor in 2 pt plays (or even red zone) is something Iowa doesn’t have. A Mobile qb.

2 chances to give Stoops the job? Explain please.

Reactions: amahawk
I’d love to know iowas success rate on 2 pt plays under ferentz. I know it’s under 50%. Question is how low. Huge X factor in 2 pt plays (or even red zone) is something Iowa doesn’t have. A Mobile qb.
I would guess lower than 20 percent. Such a stupid ass call. Kirk got what he deserved yesterday.

Interesting thing about KF. He was hired at the same time that social media was becoming a "thing". I noticed the BDSM relationship between him and the "crowd" early on.
25 years of "it's KOKs fault ... Greg Davis' fault ... Parker's fault ... Brian's fault ... Lester's fault ... player's fault ... fan's fault ... referee's fault ... Iowa's fault for not having a larger population".
25 years of watching people twist themselves into a Pretzel to exonerate the person who was really at fault. But that cult was developed purposefully. Sports reporters and message board admins were pressured to enforce "the narrative". The voice of the fans was suppressed by those in charge so annual raises and extensions could be handed out, not just to coaches, but to Athletic Directors and University Presidents. Ambitious people are insidious.
George-Carlin-300x250.jpg
I like your posts. You get it. It's refreshing to see.

Kirk has relative consistency and longevity. He's the 2 percent better than inflation return on investment over 25 years.
That's not bad, not great, as a return in part of your portfolio. Take very little to no chances and get a steady slow growth that you pay little attention to. Thing is, that's not interesting or exciting or fun to watch.

I don't care about Iowa Football outside of its entertainment value. And what I want to see is excitement, fun, taking chances and scoring on offense. A 42 to 35 win is FAR more entertaining than a 14 to 7 snooze fest.

When all the speculation about him getting an NFL job was going on after the orange bowl win I was really hoping he'd get one. That ship sailed long ago.

Am I fatigued with Ferentz. Maybe. More like my interest has drifted to other things as the entertainment value of the product has dropped.

Ha Ha!!!!! Keep telling yourself that was a "big" win.

Iowa wore down a little sister. Today they proved last weeks 2nd half wasn't the result of superior coaching adjustments.
I'm not in ANY way defending the last two weeks to be clear. Still I think it interesting that people bring up the "little sister" stuff. Here's a news flash. There isn't that much difference between the decent P4 teams, (Iowa and ISU as an example) and the Mac teams. I think you need to see the bigger picture. Watch other games or scores. There were a number of close games not decided until late with ranked teams vs "little sisters". PSU had their hands full with Bowling Green. ND loses to N Illinois, KSU trailed the whole game to Tulane. These games are no longer an anomaly, so yes Iowa beating a MAC level team 40-0 is a very sold win. You've got a half dozen really good teams and then a pretty big gap honestly. The gap between that 2nd group and teams outside the top 40 just isn't anywhere as big as it used to be. That seems clear...

I would guess lower than 20 percent. Such a stupid ass call. Kirk got what he deserved yesterday.
The players were not put in a position to succeed (win) yesterday by the coaches. They were only trying to do what the play call was. Dont feel bad for the coaches. Feel bad for the players who were shortchanged by lack of credible coaching.

I'm not in ANY way defending the last two weeks to be clear. Still I think it interesting that people bring up the "little sister" stuff. Here's a news flash. There isn't that much difference between the decent P4 teams, (Iowa and ISU as an example) and the Mac teams. I think you need to see the bigger picture. Watch other games or scores. There were a number of close games not decided until late with ranked teams vs "little sisters". PSU had their hands full with Bowling Green. ND loses to N Illinois, KSU trailed the whole game to Tulane. These games are no longer an anomaly, so yes Iowa beating a MAC level team 40-0 is a very sold win. You've got a half dozen really good teams and then a pretty big gap honestly. The gap between that 2nd group and teams outside the top 40 just isn't anywhere as big as it used to be. That seems clear...
Hawks are closer to good Mac team then good big ten team.
I'm not so sure that a good Mac coaching staff ×wouldn't have won the game yesterday.
I can guarantee you that iowa state would not have lost yesterday's game if they had been in Iowas position.

Hawks are closer to good Mac team then good big ten team.
I'm not so sure that a good Mac coaching staff ×wouldn't have won the game yesterday.
I can guarantee you that iowa state would not have lost yesterday's game if they had been in Iowas position.
I wouldn't go that far either. Its one game in the series, and Campbell has done enough stupid shit in these games to lose some close ones as well. The visiting team has won the last FIVE in this series, and there is no real gap between the teams, or about 50 other teams outside that top 5 to 10 teams...

ISU (the Illinois one) really isn't MAC level though...

The thing is Kirk is a great person. But what does he really bring to the game anymore. When he was younger he was good at teaching offensive line. I just don’t think he brings anything to the table besides being a class act. This stuff happens when you’re 68. The game has passed him by.
Why is Kirk a great person? I couldn't disagree more. If it hadn't been for Beth Goetz, he would have let his incompetent OC of a son to continue to be the cause of Iowa's national humiliation and ridicule for years to come. Despite earning millions of dollars a year, Iowa football was not his love or priority.

The first time when we hired KF and this past year I'm assuming.
The first time ... and then when Bobby retired in 2016(?) It woulda been a perfect time for Barta to "Tom Davis" Kirk out the door.
Celebrate Kirk's accomplishments and then announce his "retirement".
I think Bobby would've taken the job if Kirk could've been convinced to exit with grace.
That ship has sailed and now he is gone full (Joe Paterno) to his detriment.

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
I was more disappointed today than angry. But this kind of solidified my feelings that I had been thinking about for a while. Iowa is who we thought they were. With the NIL and transfer portal, football is a completely different game. I think I want to start moving away from football, Iowa just doesn't have what it takes to run with the big boys and likely never will.
Sadly this is correct.

Reactions: tweeterhawk
Is there anything non football related to back that up? Genuinely curious
Yeah... the racial stuff, rhabdo, how he treated DJK. He runs the program like it is his family business. Ferentz loves to give the fans the finger. Probably one of the more egotistical coaches in the country. I'm surprised Mary or one of his daughters isn't a position coach.

The players were not put in a position to succeed (win) yesterday by the coaches. They were only trying to do what the play call was. Dont feel bad for the coaches. Feel bad for the players who were shortchanged by lack of credible coaching.
I thought my post was pretty clear that I don't feel bad for the coaches.

This loss is solely on him for going two but let’s not over react.
The loss was due to questionable play calling by our new offensive coordinator on the two occasions in the first half when we had first and goal from the two yard line, along with poor execution, and poor decision making by our QB. KJ was running all over isu but when we got inside the five he never touched the ball on those occasions in the first half. The first time from the two we lost 4 yards on first down, when we tried to run out of the shotgun. If you know anything about Kirk, you know damn well he didn’t call that play. He would have had the QB under center with a fullback in there. That’s what we should have done. Lester tried to get too cute there and blew it the next time we had a first and goal too. We should have hammered it in with the fullback or had the QB sneak it 3 times in a row!

The loss was due to questionable play calling by our new offensive coordinator on the two occasions in the first half when we had first and goal from the two yard line, along with poor execution, and poor decision making by our QB. KJ was running all over isu but when we got inside the five he never touched the ball on those occasions in the first half. The first time from the two we lost 4 yards on first down, when we tried to run out of the shotgun. If you know anything about Kirk, you know damn well he didn’t call that play. He would have had the QB under center with a fullback in there. That’s what we should have done. Lester tried to get too cute there and blew it the next time we had a first and goal too. We should have hammered it in with the fullback or had the QB sneak it 3 times in a row!
Ok Mr. giant KF apologist - Tell me why or HOW Kirk can come out post-game and tell us all that Cade is definitely the QB moving forward.

At a minimum, a coach needs to come out and F’ing acknowledge the shortcomings we all just witnessed and be open to the possibility of change. He’s not open to it right now and that’s bullshit.

People want to win while Kirk just wants to be loyal and stay the course, keeping his fingers crossed that at some point it’ll get better with the same personnel.

Last edited:
Ok Mr. giant KF apologist - Tell me why or HOW Kirk can come out post-game and tell us all that Cade is definitely the QB moving forward.

At a minimum, a coach needs to come out and F’ing acknowledge the shortcomings we all just witnessed and be open to the possibility of change. He’s not open to it right now. And that’s bullshit.

People want to win while Kirk just wants to be loyal.
With Ferentz 'it is his way or no way', he has a massive ego! JMO

I see that graphic of B1G wins and see Schembechler, Hayes, Stagg and Ferentz. Which one of these is different from the others?

And what the hell ever happened to Kirk 2.0?
I’m so tired of people bringing this is up. The dude has been in the Big Ten for 25 years so I would certainly hope he’s in the conversation for all time wins.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
In 25 years at Iowa KF has delivered 0 outright B1G titles, 2 shared titles, and 1 BCS/NY6 level bowl win.

And some still insist on treating the guy like Jesus.
And that last conference title was twenty years ago. There are a lot of players on this year’s team who weren’t even born in ‘04.

I’m so tired of people bringing this is up. The dude has been in the Big Ten for 25 years so I would certainly hope he’s in the conversation for all time wins.
Doesn't he also have the most all time conference losses of any B1G coach?

Are you ready for a change? I appreciate the guy but am tired of him.
Whisky is playing Bama at home. Imagine the anticipation for that one! KF has his usual cupcake boring awful OOC game, same crap for 25 years. At least, grow up and grow some. It doesn't matter at this point. At least, make it interesting and fun.

Reactions: hawkeye54545
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT