ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz & Recruiting...

Mar 14, 2003
Lets face it folks, if KF can't get a top half class in the conference with the new facilities then the writing is on the wall. He needs to be relieved of his duties. With our new facilities, a top half recruiting class should be a minimum expectation.

Lets face it folks, if KF can't get a top half class in the conference with the new facilities then the writing is on the wall. He needs to be relieved of his duties. With our new facilities, a top half recruiting class should be a minimum expectation.
He either needs to go or shake-up the staff and bring in some new blood that have the desire to recruit. However, I don't think his string is long enough for the latter.

Top half? Never going to happen with the current KF at the helm. All they care about is graduating kids and doing things the right way. The late 2000s attrition and legal troubles all but sealed the fate of recruiting. Recruiting is a competition and the Hawks have no interest in trying to compete.

The few naturally talented recruits in the past 5 years or so have gotten buried on the depth chart and/or transferred. Blythe was highly regarded. Any others? Maybe the DTs

He either needs to go or shake-up the staff and bring in some new blood that have the desire to recruit. However, I don't think his string is long enough for the latter.

It all starts at the top. I truly think the staff is handcuffed by being forced to recruit the "right" kids and our boring methodology. "Come play boring for football" is not a great sales pitch. It has to be so frustrating to try to sell this regime.

Seems like whenever we've had a coach with a long tenure like Hayden Fry, 19 years, Tom Davis, 13 years, Kirk Ferentz, 16 years - they grew tired of the recruiting grind and quit making a real effort their last years. Hayden left the cupboard bare, Tom had a bunch of in-state "talent", and who knows what Kirk is doing? Time for a change?

Nebraska will be top half of the conference, but we've perhaps reached as well: https://rivals.yahoo.com/nebraska/football/recruiting/player-Aphonso-Thomas-172461

There are some Husker fans freaking out, but let's remember it's only May. However, the recruiting game has been sped up in recent years, so it's more important to be "in" on guys earlier. Iowa may be doing just that and will await the fruit of their labor a little later on. Right now, there are some guys being picked up that help fill out a class and may be more based on potential and to create momentum on the recruiting trail.

I think right now it's more important to look at QB recruiting. That's the most important position and a big key to the future. If you're happy with that, then I'd relax for a little bit.

It's not easy getting guys to visit on their own dime to Iowa/Nebraska. It's a pain in the ass.

Good on the field football players and football players that graduate and participate in a program that does it the right way, are not mutually exclusive.

Iowa Football just doesn't have the talent right now that it has some other years. And I don't know if the current staff will get the job done. But if I HAD to choose between running an unethical program and winning, versus the reverse, I'm choosing the latter. Ferentz has shown it can be done, but I don't know if he will be able to again, or not.

The only ranking that matters is where we finish not where we are "ranked" in a system as subjective as recruiting rankings. KF regularly out performed these ranking. I agree we need a better team with more wins but the recruiting ranking should have no bearing on any thing other than provide entertainment value

When KF was first building the program he did it with a bunch of 2-star and 3-star players, often times guys overlooked from the state of Florida. Once they started winning, bigger name recruits started taking notice. In short, facilities and other variables are marginal in importance to winning. It's all about winning. Top players want to play for a winner. It's that simple. Right now, all Iowa has to offer is possible immediate playing time. Playing a stale, boring brand of football with mediocre results in a cold-weather state is not going to attract anyone with offers from Florida, Texas, Alabama, etc. It's just reality.

Reactions: Sterling_Wildcat
Good on the field football players and football players that graduate and participate in a program that does it the right way, are not mutually exclusive.

Iowa Football just doesn't have the talent right now that it has some other years. And I don't know if the current staff will get the job done. But if I HAD to choose between running an unethical program and winning, versus the reverse, I'm choosing the latter. Ferentz has shown it can be done, but I don't know if he will be able to again, or not.

Correct. They are not mutually exclusive. Unfortunately the Captain and/or the administration have erred too far on the side of caution IMO. There's a difference between calculated risk and taking half a class from the state of Iowa.

This is on Barta's back as well as Kirk's. If we go 4-8 or even 5-7 with low attendance will anyone have the courage to make a change? "That" will be the interesting thing.

$53 Million for the new facilities and what did we get? N O T H I N G ! ! ! ! !

For Kirk & Barta to be so silent is not helping either. (Not that I'd have a solution for the PR part of their problem.)
I could be wrong, but isn't it a little early to say that we've gotten nothing from the new facilities?

Reactions: Ironmen1939
He did that 5 years ago.
actually GD, BF and Woods were hired in 2012 after the 2012 class was signed, Reed, Kennedy and White were hired in 2013 in time for the 2014 recruiting class and Wallace was hired in April of 2014. but hey according to the OP they have been here long enough to recruit better than the ones they replaced.

and that group avg'g a 44.5 rating. the 2013 and 2014 classes the coaching staff was in transition. 1 new OC 1 new DC and 1 new RC, but hey lets not let facts get in the way of a good moan and groan post.

Reactions: NomisHawk
The only ranking that matters is where we finish not where we are "ranked" in a system as subjective as recruiting rankings. KF regularly out performed these ranking. I agree we need a better team with more wins but the recruiting ranking should have no bearing on any thing other than provide entertainment value
If you don't believe there is a direct correlation between high recruit ranking and wins, you have your head up your rectum and locked!

This is on Barta's back as well as Kirk's. If we go 4-8 or even 5-7 with low attendance will anyone have the courage to make a change? "That" will be the interesting thing.

For Kirk & Barta to be so silent is not helping either. (Not that I'd have a solution for the PR part of their problem.)

Facilities have barely been in place. Kirk and barta people can argue on that but with the facilities patience young grasshopper give it a little time before the bitching on that starts.

Reactions: Herkmeister
then how did KF have 3 straight top 10 finishes with 50th thru 70th rated classes?

There are a few different factors at play there. He hit the lottery with a few generational talents that were lowly rated yet made major impacts in Sanders, Greenway, Clark, and Gallery. Its been over a decade latter and when we bring in lower rated players people still bring up those names. Those type of players haven't happened again and its unlikely we will experience another Clark or Sanders.

The other thing that people fail to remember is that it wasn't Iowa winning through KF's sheer will. KF also had a far superior staff during that time. When KF came in himself with a top notch staff that was committed to winning and moving on to bigger things: Norm Parker, Bielema, Philbin, Aiken, Jackson, even KOK. His more recent choices seem like yes men that won't rock the boat.

There are a few different factors at play there. He hit the lottery with a few generational talents that were lowly rated yet made major impacts in Sanders, Greenway, Clark, and Gallery. Its been over a decade latter and when we bring in lower rated players people still bring up those names. Those type of players haven't happened again and its unlikely we will experience another Clark or Sanders.

The other thing that people fail to remember is that it wasn't Iowa winning through KF's sheer will. KF also had a far superior staff during that time. When KF came in himself with a top notch staff that was committed to winning and moving on to bigger things: Norm Parker, Bielema, Philbin, Aiken, Jackson, even KOK. His more recent choices seem like yes men that won't rock the boat.
you mean like 2* RB Hitchens that switched to WLB that was a NFL pick? again poster refuse to admit the new staff is working hard together for just the 2nd class together, Blair posted which states this staff was recruiting the hardest in Georgia and TX. when did the old staff ever recruit those states like that?

yes men? I doubt that. get those KF HATER glasses off.

BIKP_LTCcAAJEfM.png

Silly hipster Dantonio, Ferentz had low recruiting classes before it was cool

you mean like 2* RB Hitchens that switched to WLB that was a NFL pick? again poster refuse to admit the new staff is working hard together for just the 2nd class together, Blair posted which states this staff was recruiting the hardest in Georgia and TX. when did the old staff ever recruit those states like that?

yes men? I doubt that. get those KF HATER glasses off.

I thought you were dead! Welcome back Kilroy.

Reactions: RocknRollface
then how did KF have 3 straight top 10 finishes with 50th thru 70th rated classes?

Go look at the offers those kids had. That's far more important than "star" rankings, even though the two often go hand in hand. Give me an MSU 3-star with offers from Alabama and USC over a UNL 4-star with no offers.

The recruiting rankings may not have been much better 10 years ago, but I guarantee you the recruits Ferentz was getting surely were. Not all 2-stars, 3-stars, and 4-stars are the same.

Who offered and were they a Plan A or B (or below)? That's how you evaluate success on the recruiting trail.

plan B recruits are those that commit in Jan. not those that commit in March thru Sept, those in the months of Oct thru Dec are those that waited to decide. those that committed last year between March and June were all plan A recruits, remember the players from IA were all recruited by Morgan.

plan B recruits are those that commit in Jan. not those that commit in March thru Sept, those in the months of Oct thru Dec are those that waited to decide. those that committed last year between March and June were all plan A recruits, remember the players from IA were all recruited by Morgan.

What exactly are you disputing?

While stars aren't everything, it is clear that Iowa recruiting is lagging woefully behind the top 20 programs.
It's never a good sign when your recruits other offers are from MAC schools.

He had 3 top 10 finishes because his assistant coaches carried his dead weight self.

No Kirk fan here, but let's not discount the fact that it says a lot about a "dead weight" head coach that all these awesome assistants were willing to work for him. Results are what matter. How Kirk got the earlier great results does not matter. He deserves the credit, even if only by doing nothing but getting great assistents willing to work for him.

I don't think it helped that the SEC as a whole has been so strong, the kids that get passed over by Bama, Florida, Georgia have been choosing S Carolina, the Mississippi schools, Kentucky even. I'm sure multiple schools felt the effect of this. Also giving up on the south a few years ago probably multiplied this for Iowa.

in 2013 IA finished 2nd in the Legend Division behind BT and Rose Bowl Champion MSU
in 2014 IA finished in 4th in the West
this after a start in overhauling the staff in which a new OC/QB coach was hired, a new OL Coach was hired and Norm was replaced, their 1st class of 13 3 true FR played then 13 more played as RSFR out of a class of 22. that's a pretty impressive number for a coach that does not play underclassmen.

for the 2014 recruiting class these were the next coaches that were hired, WR coach Kennedy who was the fore WR/Assistant recruiting coordinator for TX and was the current WR coach at Colorado. RB Coach White was hired from the Minnesota Vikings, LB Coach Reed who was the former DC for Virginia.

the RC/DL Coach Wallace was hired in April of 2014 and has been and now is working on the 2016 class.

nobody know what this new can and/or will do in the future,

as for Davis he was retired when Philbin the HC of the Miami Dolphins talked KF into hiring Davis by brining him out of RETIREMENT. GD has opened up the TX market and it was GD who talked KF into hiring WR Kennedy another solid recruiter in the TX area,

it was GD that took 1st year coach Woods into TX and interduced him to the HS coaches in TX
and also taught the ropes on recruiting, since then Woods has been expanding IA's recruiting territory by going into GA where IA now has over 20 offers out. something nobody on the previous staff EVER DID.

Johnson never did that nor did he even encourage the other AC to try and its the RC job to do so, nor did he encourage that staff or who ever handles hand out scholarship out do so, Wallace has changed that by having 171 current offers out to the 2016 with over 130 out before March 1st, Wallace has seen offers go out to over 20 2017 prospects and at least go out to a 2018 prospect, call the unsuccessful up to now but don't you dare call them lazey.

this after that disaster that was a 4-8 season in 2012,

in 2013 IA finished 2nd in the Legend Division behind BT and Rose Bowl Champion MSU
this after a start in overhauling the staff in which a new OC/QB coach was hired, a new OL Coach was hired and Norm was replaced, their 1st class of 13 3 true FR played then 13 more played as RSFR out of a class of 22. that's a pretty impressive number for a coach that does not play underclassmen.

for the 2014 recruiting class these were the next coaches that were hired, WR coach Kennedy who was the fore WR/Assistant recruiting coordinator for TX and was the current WR coach at Colorado. RB Coach White was hired from the Minnesota Vikings, LB Coach Reed who was the former DC for Virginia.

the RC/DL Coach Wallace was hired in April of 2014 and has been and now is working on the 2016 class.

as for Davis he was retired when Philbin the HC of the Miami Dolphins talked KF into hiring Davis by brining him out of RETIREMENT. GD has opened up the TX market and it was GD who talked KF into hiring WR Kennedy another solid recruiter in the TX area,

it was GD that took 1st year coach Woods into TX and interduced him to the HS coaches in TX
and also taught the ropes on recruiting, since then Woods has been expanding IA's recruiting territory by going into GA where IA now has over 20 offers out. something nobody on the previous staff EVER DID.

Johnson never did that nor did he even encourage the other AC to try and its the RC job to do so, nor did he encourage that staff or who ever handles hand out scholarship out do so, Wallace has changed that by having 171 current offers out to the 2016 with over 130 out before March 1st, Wallace has seen offers go out to over 20 2017 prospects and at least go out to a 2018 prospect, call the unsuccessful up to now but don't you dare call them lazey.

They are trying, that's for sure. Most think its too little too late.

Reactions: swagsurfer02

I would be shocked if this isn't KFs last year as HC. Our new facelift doesn't fit his personality. I'm calling Barta gone after this year as well.

kilroy_28_173.jpg

Also as for Davis being retired that's another way of phrasing the actual facts that he was shown the exit at Texas and no one else wanted him until over a year later when KF came knocking on his door to hire him.

But I'm sure the Davis' family is happy to have you back on the site Kilroy so they now least have one person who supports him.

I would be shocked if this isn't KFs last year as HC. Our new facelift doesn't fit his personality. I'm calling Barta gone after this year as well.
why should Barta be fired, he just Hired Heller who in his 1st season guided the Baseball team to its 1st BT Tournament then in year 2 guided the team to its 1st NCAA Regional win since 1972.
he also hired Fran who just guided the mens BB Team to its 1st NCAA win since what 2002-2001. {to lazy to look it up.

face it some are just pissed because he won't fire KF so it plain to see they want Barta fired as well.

Barring an incredible 9 or 10-win season in 2015, which is highly doubtful, the season ticket holders who have climbed off the wagon the past two years won't be coming back on. New season ticket holders won't be coming on board.

2015 will go down as Kirk's last year as Iowa head coach. Just reality, not trying to stir the pot. It doesn't take rocket science to figure this out. The mass drop in season ticket holders, and the impact it will have on the concession,marketing, and parking concessions is what will seal Kirk's fate more than his wins or losses.

Even a big booster who frequents the Hawkeye Lounge and is a staunch Ferentz supporter predicts 2015 will be Kirk's last.

you people want this team to fail in the worst way, its amazing how you can call yourselves Hawk fans, you people are disgusting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT