ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Brands

Been saying this for awhile, maybe this will finally wake the fans up. No improvement or strategy changes from our wrestlers match-to-match.

Reactions: pickr374
Tom Brands won’t be fired but he needs to reassess everything around the program. Does he have the ability to admit the need to change things up?
This. Only, Tom needs to be FORCED to evaluate everything. When he was hired to coach this program back he made a lot of promises. To say he’s underperformed is an understatement. Iowa wrestlers consistently wrestle at or below their seed. Penn State wrestlers always seem to wrestle well above their seed. Our wrestlers come NCAA time seem worn out or broken year after year. I don’t have an answer but I guarantee you Brands does and if he can’t get it done than move on.

Reactions: MVPFAN
It became pretty clear a few years ago the Brands does not belong in the same conversation that mentions Kale. I understand Pennsylvania recruits are the top of the heap. Who has improved? Surely there are some but many more disappointments. They need to go grab a Dake or one of the many PSU unicorns and try a new path. Ya we won recently but with a team of 25 year olds. Kales guys just keep winning.

Reactions: HIWILLE and MVPFAN
This. Only, Tom needs to be FORCED to evaluate everything. When he was hired to coach this program back he made a lot of promises. To say he’s underperformed is an understatement. Iowa wrestlers consistently wrestle at or below their seed. Penn State wrestlers always seem to wrestle well above their seed. Our wrestlers come NCAA time seem worn out or broken year after year. I don’t have an answer but I guarantee you Brands does and if he can’t get it done than move on.
By our wrestlers do you mean Cobe and Abe?

A very tough end to an illustrious career. I don't know that he can physically make the move on to an international career. Only Spencer knows how far his knees can take him. Let's hope we see him going at it for a long time in freestyle. If not, Spencer is a logical choice for the future coach for the Hawkeyes. Maybe sooner rather than later?

Last edited:
The good news is that we should have our pick of the bunch since presumably all the teams who finished 3rd - last will be firing their coaches or dropping the sport. It must have been the same way for all coaches who couldn’t beat Gable on his amazing run. They must have ALL SUCKED. It’s the only explanation, right?

Were they alive for 2020 and 2021?
I don’t recall winning one in 2020, and yes that’s my point. They’ve only seen one in their lifetime. Hanging your hat on one blip on the radar during their lifetime shows how far we are behind. @Gobblin you’re a smart guy, I figured you’d be able to make that inference. I’m sure you don’t care but I’m “Team Gobblin” in a couple of your other fights, fwiw.

Reactions: tiltman and Gobblin
I don’t recall winning one in 2020, and yes that’s my point. They’ve only seen one in their lifetime. Hanging your hat on one blip on the radar during their lifetime shows how far we are behind. @Gobblin you’re a smart guy, I figured you’d be able to make that inference. I’m sure you don’t care but I’m “Team Gobblin” in a couple of your other fights, fwiw.
You just to be overly negative. You’re usually very level headed and unemotional. I understood what you were trying to say, it it just seem relevant unless you were just pointing out how long it was between titles.

Reactions: TailgateTom
I think Brands does need to make a heavier weight adjustment and bring in a technique guru from outside the box. Kyle Dake might be the solution.

Reactions: Weasel-Power
I don’t recall winning one in 2020, and yes that’s my point. They’ve only seen one in their lifetime. Hanging your hat on one blip on the radar during their lifetime shows how far we’ve fallen. @Gobblin you’re a smart guy, I figured you’d be able to make that inference. I’m sure you don’t care but I’m “Team Gobblin” in a couple of your other fights, fwiw.
We were the best team in 2020 by a large margin and everyone knew it. We solidified that by winning in 2021.

Iowa is the second-best program right now and it's a big gap between us and number three. We aren't nearly as far off as some of you are claiming but I get the frustration right now. I am on board with changes to the middleweight and heavyweight coaches, but as others have mentioned, I think it really starts with recruiting. Some big name assistants like J'den or Nolf would help there too.

We were the best team in 2020 by a large margin and everyone knew it. We solidified that by winning in 2021.

Iowa is the second-best program right now and it's a big gap between us and number three. We aren't nearly as far off as some of you are claiming but I get the frustration right now. I am on board with changes to the middleweight and heavyweight coaches, but as others have mentioned, I think it really starts with recruiting. Some big name assistants like J'den or Nolf would help there too.
Nolf is my #1 target. And he and TnT have great relationship. Speak it into exsistence!

You just to be overly negative. You’re usually very level headed and unemotional. I understood what you were trying to say, it it just seem relevant unless you were just pointing out how long it was between titles.
You’re right I am being overly emotional and negative. I can be that way sometimes and that’s a huge fault of mine, so I apologize.

Seeing Spencer get the ending he didn’t deserve coupled with having memories of: 1. our terrible injury history. 2. seeing how Marinelli’s career played out. 3. watching Kemmerer and Eierman lose Saturday night in ‘21 after just beating those Penn State guys a couple weeks prior. 4. Our performance when we hosted in Des Moines. THEN watching the asshole Penn State fans post complete garbage—emotions definitely got the better of me. Again I apologize (to everyone) for that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT