ADVERTISEMENT

First time trying 5 Guys

Derekd3408

HR Legend
Gold Member
Feb 10, 2011
My wife talks about having 5 Guys all the time in college and how much she loved it. In fact she described it as extremely orgasmic. I finally decided to try it. I thought everything was pretty good, but definetly not worth the $20. Sticking my hand in a greasy sack full of fries to get to my burger was off putting.

I mean, it’s fast food. I’ve only been to 5G once and wasn’t terribly impressed, but I wasn’t expecting much either.

Reactions: MitchLL
My wife talks about having 5 Guys all the time in college and how much she loved it. In fact she described it as extremely orgasmic. I finally decided to try it. I thought everything was pretty good, but definetly not worth the $20. Sticking my hand in a greasy sack full of fries to get to my burger was off putting.
Oh hey, look, another anti-5 Guys thread started by a poor who thinks $20 for enough calories to last the average human two full days is "definitely not worth it." :rolleyes:

Maybe that’s not what she meant when referring to 5 guys;)

Fresh cut fries are and should be outstanding. Their fries suck. They need to be soaked in water to remove starch and fried twice. I don’t understand why they go through the trouble of cutting them fresh only to screw up the rest of it.

cooking a burger in a cast iron skillet is awesome. To get me to over pay for a burger the fries better be damn good. They are not. Would rather just get three $1 hamburgers and a small fry from McDonald’s and save $10+

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Funny, your wife always preferred this while being orgasmic…

george-sex.gif

Been to one in St Louis.

Most tender fast food burger I’ve ever had.

Shocked at the final price though. Not worth the $.

Reactions: MitchLL
Haven't been and won't be back since I went to the one in Ames before Iowa ISU basketball game last year. Prices got out of hand. The one in WDM was like $10-$12 to get a burger and fries when it opened. A few extra bucks for a good burger compared to BBops, not a terrible deal. But it's not worth an extra $10 minimum.

Though this thread was going to be a story from OPs mom. Disappointed.

Five Guys started here in NoVa. Once upon a time it was good, and a decent value to boot. But now there is so much more competition for good burgers that it's average at best, and when you franchise and grow as fast as they did, quality invariably becomes uneven. But hey, good on them, a story of a nice family that hit the bigs.

Love their burgers, hate their fries

I have found that 5 Guys fries varies entirely by location. At some locations, like the one near my sister in the north Tampa area has absolutely amazing fries that are perfectly crispy on the outside and nice and fluffy on the inside, 9 or 10 out of 10. The one in Tallahassee closest to me on the other hand has absolutely miserable fries, usually greasy and soggy, say a 3 out of 10.

It’s simply OK for a smash type burger.
Best smash burger I’ve ever had was from a greasy spoon in North Adams, Ma. 20 years ago.

It was good when it was just a few locations in DC. Same thing is happening with Primanti Bros. The original location on the Strip is the shiz, but now they are popping up everywhere and just average.

Reactions: Aardvark86
I have found that 5 Guys fries varies entirely by location. At some locations, like the one near my sister in the north Tampa area has absolutely amazing fries that are perfectly crispy on the outside and nice and fluffy on the inside, 9 or 10 out of 10. The one in Tallahassee closest to me on the other hand has absolutely miserable fries, usually greasy and soggy, say a 3 out of 10.
You get the ban hammer, Tribe.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
You get the ban hammer, Tribe.

No only at the old Whorechant. But I logged in using a laptop I haven’t used in a year and that was the account I was under. And I was too lazy to switch.

But yes, I got banned several times from Whorechant for “political statements” which is hilarious because I seldom say #*%* about politics other than Magats equal #*%*. Which isn’t really a political statements, just a fact.

No only at the old Whorechant. But I logged in using a laptop I haven’t used in a year and that was the account I was under. And I was too lazy to switch.

But yes, I got banned several times from Whorechant for “political statements” which is hilarious because I seldom say #*%* about politics other than Magats equal #*%*. Which isn’t really a political statements, just a fact.
I thought the ghost of Madcow got you....

Rookie mistake.

Do you have an air fryer at home?

Air fry those sumbitches and they are BETTER than they are at the store (agree, some get a little too juicy).

#TakeFoodAdviceFromChubbos
I have 2 appointments in Des Moines tonight and won't get home until 930-10. They had to go, but I agree the air fryer is amazing at bringing foods like that back to life.

Reactions: torbee
Well if you fat asses weren’t getting the double patty and large fries it wouldn’t be 20 bucks. Little cheeseburger and little Cajun fries are about 12 bucks plus a cup of water. Have you been to a lot of places where you can eat cheaper than 12 bucks? And I don’t count McDonalds or Burger King or that shit.

The only thing I don't like about 5 Guys is the cost. I still haven't tried the new one in Davenport/Bettendorf. If we are on the road after a kids' game we will stop at one sometimes. We've always found them to be very good burgers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT