ADVERTISEMENT

Fix vs Lizak

Grappler... welcome back! Eggum has a big task in front of him. No doubt.

Several individual items stand out to me regarding progress inside the wrestling room. The regression of Thorn is glaring. The disappearance of GS's big bro from anything meaningful. The inability of a high school star like Short to improve. And lastly... the inability to followup last year's monster recruiting class with anyone inside the top 50.

I suspect Eggum's promotion to HC, and it's responsibilities, has short changed progress within the room. I think I've given you a very fair and objective opinion. Then again...I don't have any proof.

You're a loyal fan of wrestling and I can appreciate your support of Minnesota wrestling!

Mitch back on his soap box.

Eggum is rebuilding the program from the base up. MN was passed by and we are now playing catch-up. Got the administration to add a director of operations position to the program and also update the lighting system to the arena which greatly increases the atmosphere IMO. He has increased donor funding, which has lead to a full time RTC coach being added. Brought in Zillmer and Nazar to train full time,along with the existing MN alum, both are national team members(Nelson is as well). Brought in the #1 overall recruit and top 3 class that will hopefully lead the charge moving forward. Raised $2.6 million to get a new wrestling facility completed. Now is raising funds to renovate their locker room/lounge. From a head coach CEO standpoint that is a lot to get done in a short amount of time. Now hopefully this infrastructure built by Eggum and co. will lead to more on the mat success as we move forward and he will be given time to show this.
oh Cody, you are so duckies, bunnies and rainbows.1 out of his 3 recruiting classes have been good. The other 2 were absolutely horrible; Maybe even worst in program history. If Eggum and Co. pull in another recruiting class like this year what the excuse going to be. He wasn't the right hire and the guy they should have went after, Bono, will soon be leading the Badgers past him.

Many details about the person Bono is when not in front of a camera has me glad we did not go in that direction. SDSU is very happy to have Hahn.

Like I said Eggum will have his chance. If results don’t follow(cuz ultimately results are the end product), at some point I imagine someone else will. The staff understands the expectation. That being said, what this staff has put in place will benefit whoever the coach is in 5,10,15,etc years. These are important steps to competing at the highest level.

Iowa has Eustice as Dir of Ops
Iowa brought in Perry as RTC coach
Iowa brought in more RTC athletes
Iowa increased fundraising
Iowa is working in a new facility

This is the shift in college wrestling and it is an arms race.

Many details about the person Bono is when not in front of a camera has me glad we did not go in that direction. SDSU is very happy to have Hahn.

Like I said Eggum will have his chance. If results don’t follow(cuz ultimately results are the end product), at some point I imagine someone else will. The staff understands the expectation. That being said, what this staff has put in place will benefit whoever the coach is in 5,10,15,etc years. These are important steps to competing at the highest level.

Iowa has Eustice as Dir of Ops
Iowa brought in Perry as RTC coach
Iowa brought in more RTC athletes
Iowa increased fundraising
Iowa is working in a new facility

This is the shift in college wrestling and it is an arms race.
I can't wait to hear your excuse for next years recruiting class. Look at the top 25, non have been linked to Minnesota at all. How much time do you think is enough time for Eggum?

Sorry I'm stealing your thunder, Mitch :D

Reactions: MitchL
I am waiting for you to find my excuses on this year’s recruiting class? To get back in contention we need more blue chippers. I have never disputed that. Hopefully some guys develop and outperform expectations. Hopefully we can still add to this class.

6 guys in the top 25 for 2020, that I am aware of, have been linked to MN in varying degrees. Being linked and signing guys are two different things. Time will tell.

I can't wait to hear your excuse for next years recruiting class. Look at the top 25, non have been linked to Minnesota at all. How much time do you think is enough time for Eggum?

Sorry I'm stealing your thunder, Mitch :D
I commented a few months ago that I was done ragging on the Gophs after we moved to near IC.
But someone teed one up for me and I couldn't resist .:p

If the Gophers continue to be a middle of the pack program... I will guarantee you that Minnesota fans will forever remember the Xanax scandal. The demise of Robinson has led to their present situation.

Eggum hasn't shown himself to be up to the challenges of being a HC. Thorn/Bass/Lizak were apparently the ringleaders of the drug dealings. Lizak and Thorn were starters and were given "slaps on the wrist". Bass was sent packing.

I can live with that reply.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT