ADVERTISEMENT

Gopher Grades

IRONBIRD

HR MVP
Dec 2, 2010
125 Ayala #5 vs # 18 84 slow start gave up 1st td. wrestle a smart match after that

133 Petersen? UR vs 29 70 was aggressive had a tuff ride but no answer from feet, not sure why he got the call but not a great look for us at 133

141 Woods 1 vs 19 80 nice 1st TD no turns again from top? Kid looked BIG

149 Rathjen 12 vs 13 90 good scramble to get 1st td stayed on offense

157 Franek 2 vs 11 65 great 1st td then not much? bad loss!

165 Candy 7 vs 30 82 solid win slow start kid wrestled dirty with hands to face and head slaps. should have been hit again for technical!

174 Kennedy UR vs UR 88 yet another wrestler who came out slow tonight???nice reshot for 1st TD and a quick turn for 2 more end 1. wrestled stronger as match went on got major.

184 Riggins UR vs 10 give him the 83 kid is given it everything he can for the team!

197 Glazier 16 vs 24 89 Nice 1st TD smart match, sealed the deal AGAIN!!!

heavy BIG BEN!!!! UR vs 29 Honestly don't know how to score this. MAYBE a 100??? Kid went to the wall, then thru the wall as far as conditioning!!! Showed a TON of heart to dig out a reversal and WIN! Kid is still very lean. can still add 20-30-40 pounds to that frame!

NOTES: 1) do not know why I can not turn off the BOLD?????
2) Minny looked BIG at just about every weight!
3) we did not come out and look as good as we did against Nebby?

I would give Keuter a 90 because it was his first match, and he controlled it for the most part.

Conditioning and some carelessness late almost got him in a sticky situation, though. If Keuter graded it, he'd probably go a lot lower than any of us would........

125 Ayala #5 vs # 18 84 slow start gave up 1st td. wrestle a smart match after that

133 Petersen? UR vs 29 70 was aggressive had a tuff ride but no answer from feet, not sure why he got the call but not a great look for us at 133

165 Candy 7 vs 30 82 solid win slow start kid wrestled dirty with hands to face and head slaps. should have been hit again for technical!

174 Kennedy UR vs UR 88 yet another wrestler who came out slow tonight???nice reshot for 1st TD and a quick turn for 2 more end 1. wrestled stronger as match went on got major.

184 Riggins UR vs 10 give him the 83 kid is given it everything he can for the team!

heavy BIG BEN!!!! UR vs 29 Honestly don't know how to score this. MAYBE a 100??? Kid went to the wall, then thru the wall as far as conditioning!!! Showed a TON of heart to dig out a reversal and WIN! Kid is still very lean. can still add 20-30-40 pounds to that frame!

100 for BIG BEN! 😆

79/100 more like. I do like your numbered ranking system however.

Fwiw, I've never known you to not have the BOLD turned on. We are used to it.

125…A…Kept his cool when down early, got the job done against a tough opponent who has had his number before.

133…B…Good effort, just didn’t have the skill to pull it off tonight.

141…C…Had a game opponent, but didn’t seem motivated to lay the hammer down. Not what you want to see from #1.

149…A…Stayed on his offense and got it done.

157…C-…Got stung not keeping his head in it through the end. Expect that from an underclassman after a big win, but not a veteran.

165…A-…Not his best work, but won convincingly.

174…A…Won with authority.

184…B-…Good effort throughout, was minimizing damage against a superior foe, but effed up at the very end to give up bonus.

197…A…Still refreshing to see those early leg attacks. Nice job against a decent opponent who seemed to have a size advantage.

285…A…Ugly win, and he knew it. But circumstances, people. He’s 1-0 and building for March.

Team…B-…Most got the job done, but lacked fire. Not surprising coming off the performance Friday. They’ll be fine. Franek included.

@poorwrestler …F…You talked up Wells style like he was the next Nolf. Either he had mono, or you’re having trouble seeing through those burgundy glasses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chalkdaddy94
Nothing to add other than I prefer alphabetical grades versus numeric grades.

That is all.
Screw letters, numbers rule. How else can we determine if someone performed 83% (or 2X) better than another. Ironbird is clearly more advanced than some of you knuckle draggers. Plus numbers give far more opportunity to split hairs and argue.

125…A…Kept his cool when down early, got the job done against a tough opponent who has had his number before.

141…C…Had a game opponent, but didn’t seem motivated to lay the hammer down. Not what you want to see from #1.

157…C-…Got stung not keeping his head in it through the end. Expect that from an underclassman after a big win, but not a veteran.

184…B-…Good effort throughout, was minimizing damage against a superior foe, but effed up at the very end to give up bonus.

197…A…Still refreshing to see those early leg attacks. Nice job against a decent opponent who seemed to have a size advantage.

285…A…Ugly win, and he knew it. But circumstances, people. He’s 1-0 and building for March.

Team…B-…Most got the job done, but lacked fire. Not surprising coming off the performance Friday. They’ll be fine. Franek included.

@poorwrestler …F…You talked up Wells style like he was the next Nolf. Either he had mono, or you’re having trouble seeing through those burgundy glasses.
Riggins held it to a 7-0 decision. No bonus for the Gophers tonight.

Pretty much agree with your scoring across the board. Franek reminded me a lot of Alex M during NCAAs. Get a lead of a point or two against a lesser but capable opponent and then try to hold on with stellar defense. Sadly against capable opponents' stellar defense it didn't work too well for Alex at NCAAs and it didn't work well for Franek last night. And this is either the second or third time this season he either lost in the last 0-20 seconds or very nearly lost in the last 0-20 seconds against lesser opponents. Franek has impressed me and I believe he can pretty much get a TD against everyone in the country not named Levi (only cause I haven't seen it). Therefore when it comes tourney time he needs to get a better cushion before he goes into prevent mode IMO.

WRT TnT sending out Kale Petersen, I thought this was a great time to do so since neither of our potential 133 starters have shown they are consistent and we weren't counting on 133 to win the dual. The kid looked respectable against a better opponent and gained some good experience. Why not see what he could do on the big stage.

100 for BIG BEN! 😆

79/100 more like. I do like your numbered ranking system however.

Fwiw, I've never known you to not have the BOLD turned on. We are used to it.
BK looked good until the tank started running low...and that was a great reversal even when the tank was almost empty. Also, he did a hell of a job holding on for dear life those last 15-20 seconds. IMO a "conditioned for wrestling" BK will look much different than this version...

Good score for Caliendo. Hell, the way his eye looked after that WCW eye gouge he withstood I'm not convinced he could see out of that eye the rest of the match so wasn't too angry that he didn't get another TD for bonus.

Screw letters, numbers rule. How else can we determine if someone performed 83% (or 2X) better than another. Ironbird is clearly more advanced than some of you knuckle draggers. Plus numbers give far more opportunity to split hairs and argue.
83% of the time I'd give you a B for your argument. In this case, your 83% is the inverse, so you get a D-.

Keuter looks to be a really small heavy. He’s obviously going to get better and his gas tank will improve, but as much heart, athleticism and skill as he has, he’s going to struggle against the big boys. Kerk, Davidson, Hendrickson, the Cuban and some of the other big men are a bad matchup for BK right now. He needs a good 15-20 pounds more to be able to put solid pressure on guys and not get bullied around the mat. I believed I read his lips when he said to Brands, “ I wrestled like sh*t” as he came off the mat. He’s going to get much, much better.

Keuter looks to be a really small heavy. He’s obviously going to get better and his gas tank will improve, but as much heart, athleticism and skill as he has, he’s going to struggle against the big boys. Kerk, Davidson, Hendrickson, the Cuban and some of the other big men are a bad matchup for BK right now. He needs a good 15-20 pounds more to be able to put solid pressure on guys and not get bullied around the mat. I believed I read his lips when he said to Brands, “ I wrestled like sh*t” as he came off the mat. He’s going to get much, much better.
I really do not see any reason to wrestle him this year and that is even if he winds up not using his 4 years. He should be working on getting as big and strong as he can. This will go a long ways in both football and/or wrestling in the future.

The guy had about 20 lbs on him , but didn’t look much bigger. Unfortunately, football won’t want him much bigger for linebacker. Thought his balance and footwork was sloppy, could tell he has had minimal mat time since last year.

The guy had about 20 lbs on him , but didn’t look much bigger. Unfortunately, football won’t want him much bigger for linebacker. Thought his balance and footwork was sloppy, could tell he has had minimal mat time since last year.
I noticed the same, and the sloppy footwork/balance issues showed themselves well before the stamina issues did. We should probably temper expectations at this point, it does nobody much service, especially the athlete.

I watched a podcast he was on and he mentioned he wanted to “win a couple national titles before going to the NFL”. Realistically, he’s going to have a hard time hanging with those bigger Heavies at his current size. If he wants to win a national title he’s gotta put on some good weight. I can’t recall a national champ on the small side in recent memory. The 8 AAs from last year were Mason Paris, Kerk, Hendrickson, Cass, Davidson, Elam, Cohlton Schultz and Trent Hilger. They all have 1 thing in common, they are huge men. Cass dropped weight and struggled. Keuters athleticism will certainly help him, but he’ll be limited at his current size.

I watched a podcast he was on and he mentioned he wanted to “win a couple national titles before going to the NFL”. Realistically, he’s going to have a hard time hanging with those bigger Heavies at his current size. If he wants to win a national title he’s gotta put on some good weight. I can’t recall a national champ on the small side in recent memory. The 8 AAs from last year were Mason Paris, Kerk, Hendrickson, Cass, Davidson, Elam, Cohlton Schultz and Trent Hilger. They all have 1 thing in common, they are huge men. Cass dropped weight and struggled. Keuters athleticism will certainly help him, but he’ll be limited at his current size.
Kurt Angle is the last one I can remember.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
I noticed the same, and the sloppy footwork/balance issues showed themselves well before the stamina issues did. We should probably temper expectations at this point, it does nobody much service, especially the athlete.
I wrote long ago that the fans need to relax on the expectations for Kueter and that R16 would be his ceiling this year.

Never thought I'd see a Tom Brands coached team have 8-9 guys consistently get leads in matches then go purely defense for the final 1-2 periods.
Those saying it's been like this for a decade are wrong in the sense it hasn't been the majority of the lineup the way it is now.
It's going to cost guys realistic shots at either national titles or being an AA.

Reactions: BlameIt
I disagree with this. He's already one of the smallest linebackers listed on the roster and his frame is so lean. He needs another 15-20 lbs at least to be big enough to play linebacker. He'll be plenty big enough for heavyweight at that size.

My biggest concern is whether he can get there. When other football players are putting on size, he's going through an intense wrestling season. When wrestlers are putting on size, he's getting in shape for football. He doesn't have a typical offseason.

This is the kicker. If he stays at linebacker, he will never truly shine at wrestling.

For his football career, 240 lbs is about right.

But the transition to wrestling won't be as easy as it was for someone like Mark Sindlinger, who played OLine at around 270.

But as someone mentioned last evening, give him a month and his cardio will carry him.

I disagree with this. He's already one of the smallest linebackers listed on the roster and his frame is so lean. He needs another 15-20 lbs at least to be big enough to play linebacker. He'll be plenty big enough for heavyweight at that size.

My biggest concern is whether he can get there. When other football players are putting on size, he's going through an intense wrestling season. When wrestlers are putting on size, he's getting in shape for football. He doesn't have a typical offseason.
Yep. They’ll want him around 240, and that’s if he stays at LB…

A size comp for BK would be Jack Campbell. Campbell hit the combine last year at 6'5" weighing 250. Jack also ran a 4.65 40y and a 4.24 shuttle. His height and weight were in or near the 90th percentile, his runs in the top 2/3 for the LBer group. SO elite size and speed.

I would like to think the football staff would want him at those playing weights if he is going to be a Mike. Obviously football shape and wrestling shape are 2 different things, but one would think he could maintain his weight when he transitions to wrestling?

This year will be what it is for BK, I hope he takes a shirt.

I just don't see it happening.

Has to gain a good 20 pounds AND AT THE SAME TIME get into better condition?

Might need to consume 10k calories a day.

He just needs to move to the DL. All fixed. :)
There are plenty of big dudes with great gas tanks. Check out the bout between Andrew Davidson and the Cuban. They were both well conditioned and huge. Also not so long ago they were both 197lbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT