ADVERTISEMENT

Food for thought regarding Ferraris and the Iowa Room

HawkCharlotte

HR MVP
Jul 17, 2005
For years now, Iowa fans have been pissed and demanding some urgency in the wrestling performances of the Iowa wrestlers. Especially, in the lack of offense. Too long far too many Iowa wrestling is boring!!!! No shots for 2.5 periods. Too long of letting guys hang on them. AND too long has TnT being YELLING at them for more offense and urgency. (of course, there are exceptions, but I think the point is clear).

All of the sudden now that the Ferraris are in the room, Iowa wrestlers are ready and willing to wrestle with urgency. Where the hell was this effort before?

The Ferraris have come in the room and are taking spots, and they don't give two shits how others feel. This is how any wrestler should feel.

This is what the Iowa room needs. The current roster needs to look in the mirror and admit that their lack of urgency and offense are a large contributing factor why the Ferraris are in the room.

The behavior yesterday was awful, no doubt. But it does seem that they are making (FINALLY) guys freaking wrestle like Iowa used to.

Also, for all those fans saying they'd rather be 10th than have the Ferraris, be careful what you ask for, because it looks like that is going to happen.

So, final thought, if the Ferraris are not the answer to beating PSU, then what is?

Based on current rosters and future recruiting classes, Iowa looks to continue to lose ground with no answer in sight.

What do you all think?

For years now, Iowa fans have been pissed and demanding some urgency in the wrestling performances of the Iowa wrestlers. Especially, in the lack of offense. Too long far too many Iowa wrestling is boring!!!! No shots for 2.5 periods. Too long of letting guys hang on them. AND too long has TnT being YELLING at them for more offense and urgency. (of course, there are exceptions, but I think the point is clear).

All of the sudden now that the Ferraris are in the room, Iowa wrestlers are ready and willing to wrestle with urgency. Where the hell was this effort before?

The Ferraris have come in the room and are taking spots, and they don't give two shits how others feel. This is how any wrestler should feel.

This is what the Iowa room needs. The current roster needs to look in the mirror and admit that their lack of urgency and offense are a large contributing factor why the Ferraris are in the room.

The behavior yesterday was awful, no doubt. But it does seem that they are making (FINALLY) guys freaking wrestle like Iowa used to.

Also, for all those fans saying they'd rather be 10th than have the Ferraris, be careful what you ask for, because it looks like that is going to happen.

So, final thought, if the Ferraris are not the answer to beating PSU, then what is?

Based on current rosters and future recruiting classes, Iowa looks to continue to lose ground with no answer in sight.

What do you all think?
Against Soldier Salute competition, yea they kinda got after it. Will we see this in January and February vs the Big Ten? Recency bias, but doubtful

First off i will go on record and say I was 100 percent on board with them coming in, as long as they right the ship and tom can control the bullshit. It doesn't look like that's the case on the small sample we just witnessed. The more I think about it the more I think The Brands are ready to be done. I think this was a effort to try and win one more in the next couple years and if they don't what the hell. The recruiting has past up the Brands and frankly they are not good at it. I personally think Spencer needs to be thrown the checkbook. Turn the keys over and let him bring in a staff of studs and go to work, I don't want anything to do with Askren. He has been a Hawk hater his whole life and he can stay that way. I like Burroughs , but don't see that as even a possibility. I believe its time for Tom to let his descension plan be made public and the changes need to start happening soon. What transpired yesterday is unacceptable. The thing that is most disturbing is he walks out after beating the Wyoming kid and shakes the coach's hands and is as normal as can be. Why the hell all the extra is needed is mind boggling.

I would have never thought that I would say this but the time has come; Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling has become a national disgrace. I've been a fan since the 70's and a season ticket holder. I just don't see how Brands gains any respect back as a coach or as a recruiter because of what transpired yesterday.

In a very long winded way your hypotheses is the Ferraris have made Iowa wrestlers want to wrestle? That is the biggest indictment of the Iowa program ever. Yet, you think it’s a positive… Tom and Terry Brands can’t get the best out of Iowa wrestlers yet two knuckleheads from NJ can? Maybe Tom and Terry need to pose in front of the mirror more.

I think dropping Midlands to start Soldier was a bad idea. Was this done to give the women's team a tourney? SS may be the weakest competition available. Having most our guys wrestle teammates doesn't help build records or recruiting. 2 years In row creating drama.

I'm not a fan of bringing Ferarris, but we have failed in recruiting, this was a Hail Mary for sure. Good or bad hopefully we hold on to the youngest and build something.

In a very long winded way your hypotheses is the Ferraris have made Iowa wrestlers want to wrestle? That is the biggest indictment of the Iowa program ever. Yet, you think it’s a positive… Tom and Terry Brands can’t get the best out of Iowa wrestlers yet two knuckleheads from NJ can? Maybe Tom and Terry need to pose in front of the mirror more.

G14, if what I said gave the impression I think its a positive, in the sense that, I think keeping them is justified, please let me clarify.

It's a fact that Iowa needs something to get the wrestlers performing with urgency. It is also a fact that the arrival of the Ferraris has resulted in urgency. And it is a fact that this is what Iowa needs. However (and this is why I posted), it is NOT a fact that the Ferraris are necessary for the urgency. That's the point, There MUST be some other way to get the results needed.

And these knucklheads are, as you say, doing something TnT have been unable to do. So, I 100% concur, TnT need to pose in front of the mirror, but they won't.

They're stubbornness hurt recruiting for years until Lee's Dad showed TnT an thick portfolio of negative recruiting vs Iowa. Now, they're stubborness is going to ruin their legacy, if they're not careful.

Joke uouG14, if what I said gave the impression I think its a positive, in the sense that, I think keeping them is justified, please let me clarify.

It's a fact that Iowa needs something to get the wrestlers performing with urgency. It is also a fact that the arrival of the Ferraris has resulted in urgency. And it is a fact that this is what Iowa needs. However (and this is why I posted), it is NOT a fact that the Ferraris are necessary for the urgency. That's the point, There MUST be some other way to get the results needed.

And these knucklheads are, as you say, doing something TnT have been unable to do. So, I 100% concur, TnT need to pose in front of the mirror, but they won't.

Their stubbornness hurt recruiting for years until Lee's Dad showed TnT a thick portfolio of negative recruiting vs Iowa. Now, their stubborness is going to ruin their legacy, if they're not careful.
You Dont Get It Over Your Head GIF
Mirror comment

• Haha
Reactions: IRONBIRD
First off i will go on record and say I was 100 percent on board with them coming in, as long as they right the ship and tom can control the bullshit. It doesn't look like that's the case on the small sample we just witnessed. The more I think about it the more I think The Brands are ready to be done. I think this was a effort to try and win one more in the next couple years and if they don't what the hell. The recruiting has past up the Brands and frankly they are not good at it. I personally think Spencer needs to be thrown the checkbook. Turn the keys over and let him bring in a staff of studs and go to work, I don't want anything to do with Askren. He has been a Hawk hater his whole life and he can stay that way. I like Burroughs , but don't see that as even a possibility. I believe its time for Tom to let his descension plan be made public and the changes need to start happening soon. What transpired yesterday is unacceptable. The thing that is most disturbing is he walks out after beating the Wyoming kid and shakes the coach's hands and is as normal as can be. Why the hell all the extra is needed is mind boggling.
Cliff notes-

-You were 100% on board with the Ferrari's
-Brands are finished now
-Spencer needs to be in charge
-Screw Askren
-Burroughs is nice
-Tom should plan his retirement party
-Disturbing behavior yesterday

Outsider opinion thinks your best bet is a sweeping change at the top ASAP. The BS surrounding the 2 Brands' has been going on for a long time, and the regression experienced appears to be the new accepted norm.

• Haha
Reactions: USPMAN and honkey69
Can you give me a reason why SS is a thing? Was the plan to build it into a new Midlands. I just don't see the value or prestige of it.

They are definitely trying to take on the Midlands. It’s a long play, though. It doesn’t happen in just a couple of years. This year was a significant step up in level of competition over last. If that continues they are really on to something.

I respect your opinion that they should have stuck with the Midlands. The comments you were making were ridiculous, however.

What do you all think?
AJ would likely take a spot if he makes it on the roster but that was predictable. Anthony so far is not #1 of a group clearly behind what 1 time AA Murin was in ability. I'm not exactly seeing how their presence has created urgency for increased offense, increased extra curricular actions maybe. The fact 149 is a wide open weight with 2 transfers and Rathjen has created a healthy competition. Rathjen was just as pumped to beat VV as AF.

Last edited:
They are definitely trying to take on the Midlands. It’s a long play, though. It doesn’t happen in just a couple of years. This year was a significant step up in level of competition over last. If that continues they are really on to something.

I respect your opinion that they should have stuck with the Midlands. The comments you were making were ridiculous, however.
100%. This was year 2 and was way better than year 1. Time will tell if it overtakes Midlands. Add 1 good D1 team's starters a year for a couple more years and it is a great tourney by year 5.

I think dropping Midlands to start Soldier was a bad idea. Was this done to give the women's team a tourney? SS may be the weakest competition available. Having most our guys wrestle teammates doesn't help build records or recruiting. 2 years In row creating drama.

I'm not a fan of bringing Ferarris, but we have failed in recruiting, this was a Hail Mary for sure. Good or bad hopefully we hold on to the youngest and build something.
It was started because the Midlands kept canceling.

What do you all think?
I don’t think either Ferrari “took the spot”. One got dominated by a Hawk who has never been a starter before, the other had no sense of urgency vs a career Iowa backup, then based on his lack of maturity and sportsmanship, got DQ’d. Anthony showed a ton of fight throughout the tournament, but he’s going to need a lot of work if he’s going to make any noise in the B10. AJ showed a complete lack of respect for his opponents and the sport. How does a former national champ struggle to get a TD in regulation vs a wrestler of Glazier’s caliber? (Last year Glazier was beaten at the salute by true freshmen Kolby Franklin.)

Last edited:

Short sighted. Recruiting damage is lasting.

100%. This was year 2 and was way better than year 1. Time will tell if it overtakes Midlands. Add 1 good D1 team's starters a year for a couple more years and it is a great tourney by year 5.
I question the viability of SS in general. I get it takes time to build a tourney up. Geographically and timeliness it doesn't make sense to start a new tourney just down the road from the Midlands. IC isn't exactly a destination spot at Xmas time unless you are catering to just teams and fans within driving distance. I hope I'm wrong and this thing grows, but I don't see it. If we held it earlier in the season does that make it more of a draw?

I don’t think either Ferrari “took the spot”. One got dominated by a Hawk who has never been a starter before, the other had no sense of urgency vs a career Iowa backup, then based on his lack of maturity and sportsmanship, got DQ’d. Anthony showed a ton of fight throughout the tournament, but he’s going to need a lot of work if he’s going to make any noise in the B10. AJ showed a complete lack of respect for his opponents and the sport. How does a former national champ struggle to get a TD in regulation vs a wrestler of Glazier’s caliber? (Last year Glazier was beaten at the salute by true freshmen Kolby Franklin.)
Agree with most of your statement. Not the end though. Glazier is much improved this year and has looked good all year. He is no slouch and a pleasant surprise so far at 197.

I question the viability of SS in general. I get it takes time to build a tourney up. Geographically and timeliness it doesn't make sense to start a new tourney just down the road from the Midlands. IC isn't exactly a destination spot at Xmas time unless you are catering to just teams and fans within driving distance. I hope I'm wrong and this thing grows, but I don't see it. If we held it earlier in the season does that make it more of a draw?
I can respect that take.

Reactions: redghost1974
Agree with most of your statement. Not the end though. Glazier is much improved this year and has looked good all year. He is no slouch and a pleasant surprise so far at 197.
I don’t mean to diminish Zach and the work he’s put in. He’s making the most of his opportunity and I agree he’s been a pleasant surprise. Realistically however, he’s ranked around 20th, and will struggle to score any points at nationals. He’s tough and easy to root for, but lacks the necessary offensive skill set. My point was mostly rooted in the fact that AJ, who was a dominant national champ (only 1 collegiate loss that I am aware of, well now 2 ;) just a couple years ago, looked like a shell of his former self ability wise. He had to have felt that and how that didn’t force him to feel a bit of humility, I’ll never know.

I don’t mean to diminish Zach and the work he’s put in. He’s making the most of his opportunity and I agree he’s been a pleasant surprise. Realistically however, he’s ranked around 20th, and will struggle to score any points at nationals. He’s tough and easy to root for, but lacks the necessary offensive skill set. My point was mostly rooted in the fact that AJ, who was a dominant national champ (only 1 collegiate loss that I am aware of, well now 2 ;) just a couple years ago, looked like a shell of his former self ability wise. He had to have felt that and how that didn’t force him to feel a bit of humility, I’ll never know.
Look up the definition of a narcissistic sociopath and decide if he meets the criteria.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT