ADVERTISEMENT

Food for thought regarding Ferraris and the Iowa Room

I would have never thought that I would say this but the time has come; Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling has become a national disgrace. I've been a fan since the 70's and a season ticket holder. I just don't see how Brands gains any respect back as a coach or as a recruiter because of what transpired yesterday.
Oh f*uck. I hope the brands don’t lose sleep over a message board comment and opinion by an anonymous poster with Tigger as his picture! Please take it back!!

Reaction Confused GIF

Me! Busted!
I love this movie (Big)

Reactions: tosal563 and WSC72
Do you really believe the wrestling world isn't having a good laugh at what happened last night? By the way, looking at other posts, I'm hardly the only one thinking this. It's just so frusting to look at last night and not be frustrated. For carrying out loud, there are people wanting Tom and Terry to be let go. There are people who question, rather emphatically, the motives of Mark. Seriously.

AJ will be a Hawk. If Iowa was gonna kick him to the curb it would have happened by now.

Iowa wrestling fans, the ones that have been around the program and the room like I have know that some of the very best Hawks of all time were, shall we say, a little rough around the edges. Some were womanizers. Some were drunks. Some were worse than both of these things. At the end of the day, some of them would fight you over a takedown. I don't mean shove you or take a slap at you I mean beat the brakes off you. Lewis, Alger, both Brands the list goes on. If you want the most elite competitors they aren't going to like to lose, EVER. So saddle up or get used to 2nd through 10th at Nationals.

I don’t mean to diminish Zach and the work he’s put in. He’s making the most of his opportunity and I agree he’s been a pleasant surprise. Realistically however, he’s ranked around 20th, and will struggle to score any points at nationals. He’s tough and easy to root for, but lacks the necessary offensive skill set. My point was mostly rooted in the fact that AJ, who was a dominant national champ (only 1 collegiate loss that I am aware of, well now 2 ;) just a couple years ago, looked like a shell of his former self ability wise. He had to have felt that and how that didn’t force him to feel a bit of humility, I’ll never know.

Look at his historical results against guys in the 20 range and above. He doesn’t blow out guys at Zach’s level.

He has won a lot of matches in his day, but hasn’t been dominant. Throw in not competing for 2 years or even being in a room and on a team regularly and you have your answer.

My take is: this is exactly what the Iowa room does not need, and in time it will be clear to all.

Ahh ... gotcha. I'm a little slow. :)

The room needs someone to get them wrestling with urgency ... and it's a reality that the Ferraris' presence has done more to motivate the roster than years and years of TnT telling the team to wrestle with urgency. That's the main point I wanted to make.

I did NOT want to communicate that the room necessarily needs the Ferraris to get this result.

But then the question remains ... if Iowa isn't going to have the Ferraris around, then what is the plan to get that same result in urgency?

Office Sloth GIF by Disney Zootopia

Outsider opinion thinks your best bet is a sweeping change at the top ASAP. The BS surrounding the 2 Brands' has been going on for a long time, and the regression experienced appears to be the new accepted norm.

Look at his historical results against guys in the 20 range and above. He doesn’t blow out guys at Zach’s level.

He has won a lot of matches in his day, but hasn’t been dominant. Throw in not competing for 2 years or even being in a room and on a team regularly and you have your answer.
Agree. I told my son right before the match started, it’s going to be close, especially after i realized Zach was staying very low and mostly playing defense, trying to drag him into deep water and test his conditioning after cutting 28 lbs recently and having minimal mat time in ages. It almost worked, but AJ was still too strong and athletic for Zach. The SS was the worst AJ is going to be all year. Yes, the top 3-4 guys would have beat him this weekend. If he can survive the weight cut, he will be much better in 2 months. I’m afraid Zach has peaked at a level none of us ever thought he would reach. AJ is a Franek type wrestler with more athleticism. Isn’t a big scorer, but has elite defense, strength, and a simple but effective Tony Nelson like spiral ride. What he was hit for stalling on was the same ride he used to win the national championship. I admit that style frustrated me when he was at okst. But he just wins.

For years now, Iowa fans have been pissed and demanding some urgency in the wrestling performances of the Iowa wrestlers. Especially, in the lack of offense. Too long far too many Iowa wrestling is boring!!!! No shots for 2.5 periods. Too long of letting guys hang on them. AND too long has TnT being YELLING at them for more offense and urgency. (of course, there are exceptions, but I think the point is clear).

All of the sudden now that the Ferraris are in the room, Iowa wrestlers are ready and willing to wrestle with urgency. Where the hell was this effort before?

The Ferraris have come in the room and are taking spots, and they don't give two shits how others feel. This is how any wrestler should feel.

This is what the Iowa room needs. The current roster needs to look in the mirror and admit that their lack of urgency and offense are a large contributing factor why the Ferraris are in the room.

The behavior yesterday was awful, no doubt. But it does seem that they are making (FINALLY) guys freaking wrestle like Iowa used to.

Also, for all those fans saying they'd rather be 10th than have the Ferraris, be careful what you ask for, because it looks like that is going to happen.

So, final thought, if the Ferraris are not the answer to beating PSU, then what is?

Based on current rosters and future recruiting classes, Iowa looks to continue to lose ground with no answer in sight.

What do you all think?
the answer is not the two brothers we saw last night. tom getting desperate and taking such a huge risk with AJ in an attempt to finish in the top 5 at nationals is not going to be the answer. what would seem to be an idea would be for tom to actually go out and recruit, actually ask top high school wrestlers to come here. I know unique idea for tom. we might have a problem, however, after what has just transpired
Iowa wrestling fans, the ones that have been around the program and the room like I have know that some of the very best Hawks of all time were, shall we say, a little rough around the edges. Some were womanizers. Some were drunks. Some were worse than both of these things. At the end of the day, some of them would fight you over a takedown. I don't mean shove you or take a slap at you I mean beat the brakes off you. Lewis, Alger, both Brands the list goes on. If you want the most elite competitors they aren't going to like to lose, EVER. So saddle up or get used to 2nd through 10th at Nationals.
I have been around as long or longer than you and I hsve never seen any Hawkeye wrestler do what AJ did last night. nor have I seen one who remained on the team after being formally charged with sexual abuse. plus his driving, which could have killed someone. could also add his no longer being welcome at other institutions and your not guilty by comparison dose not even begin to work.

Reactions: el dub
Agree. I told my son right before the match started, it’s going to be close, especially after i realized Zach was staying very low and mostly playing defense, trying to drag him into deep water and test his conditioning after cutting 28 lbs recently and having minimal mat time in ages. It almost worked, but AJ was still too strong and athletic for Zach. The SS was the worst AJ is going to be all year. Yes, the top 3-4 guys would have beat him this weekend. If he can survive the weight cut, he will be much better in 2 months. I’m afraid Zach has peaked at a level none of us ever thought he would reach. AJ is a Franek type wrestler with more athleticism. Isn’t a big scorer, but has elite defense, strength, and a simple but effective Tony Nelson like spiral ride. What he was hit for stalling on was the same ride he used to win the national championship. I admit that style frustrated me when he was at okst. But he just wins.
that ride style is now stalling under the new rules……which is why it was called last night.

What is the price for NCAA points? What is the staff willing to put up with, deal with, handle.....in order to score more points in KC in March? That's what it comes down to IMO. I can't believe there is any other reason. I suppose I should add fans to the equation. What are fans willing to accept in order to score more NCAA points?

What is the price for NCAA points? What is the staff willing to put up with, deal with, handle.....in order to score more points in KC in March? That's what it comes down to IMO. I can't believe there is any other reason. I suppose I should add fans to the equation. What are fans willing to accept in order to score more NCAA points?
This is exactly the reason why we have entitled pricks who skirt the rules and are not held accountable for their actions.

All sports have them.

Reactions: Grip220
In a very long winded way your hypotheses is the Ferraris have made Iowa wrestlers want to wrestle? That is the biggest indictment of the Iowa program ever. Yet, you think it’s a positive… Tom and Terry Brands can’t get the best out of Iowa wrestlers yet two knuckleheads from NJ can? Maybe Tom and Terry need to pose in front of the mirror more.

They are from Texas not NJ.

I question the viability of SS in general. I get it takes time to build a tourney up. Geographically and timeliness it doesn't make sense to start a new tourney just down the road from the Midlands. IC isn't exactly a destination spot at Xmas time unless you are catering to just teams and fans within driving distance. I hope I'm wrong and this thing grows, but I don't see it. If we held it earlier in the season does that make it more of a draw?
I guess a "destination spot" is in the eye of the beholder, but I don't see Hoffman Estates, IL as a Xmas destination spot either. It has tradition on its side now, but some day SS may as well. Time will tell I guess.

Reactions: acuhawk
The bottom line is we don't know crap right now and can only speculate. Iowa Wrestling got in the chute and on the bull and the gate has opened. This is either going to end in disastrous fashion or we are going to hang on for one hell of a ride.

With where Iowa Wrestling was heading I for one am going to embrace it and ride along for what is sure to be an entertaining ride either way. Like it or not Iowa Wrestling needs to do something crazy right now.

I don't know, the southern scuffle is a fairly big mid season tournament right? Take a look at their preseeds, the solder solute is right there with both the Midlands and the scuffle. The antics yesterday did not help the cause, but it time it could very well surpass the others.
It used to be, but it, like the other holiday tournaments, is trending way down. The only regular season tournament worth a damn right now is CKLV

I just saw a pic on Hawk Central? maybe.. It showed the entire Iowa staff gaping with open mouths at something happening off camera. Everyone looks confused and appalled except for Tommy. He was grinning from ear to ear. Any idea of context?

Reactions: baccafarmer
I just saw a pic on Hawk Central? maybe.. It showed the entire Iowa staff gaping with open mouths at something happening off camera. Everyone looks confused and appalled except for Tommy. He was grinning from ear to ear. Any idea of context?
Yes, A.J. was on the phone with Nelson Brands placing a bet on the Iowa/Tennessee game.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyeEmpire
It used to be, but it, like the other holiday tournaments, is trending way down. The only regular season tournament worth a damn right now is CKLV
National power house UPenn took home the team title at Midlands this year. I have to laugh at all the whiners who want Iowa to keep propping that event up instead of trying something new.

So AJ and the clan of Ferraris become the center of the problems IOWA faces in getting back on top? I mean, we were the last team to win it other then F*** st and while our recruiting trended up somewhat. NO one including the HAWKS are within a country mile of Krailure over there and everyone is slipping even further behind!!!

Someone posted on a FB page the amount of TOP tier recruits/wrestlers from 150(not sure why this weight?) and up. He had it as 11 guy for 5 weights. Not even sure if any of the recruits could be a heavy weight? So it was more like 10 or 11 for 4 weight classes. This did not include all other wrestlers already on the team and StarFish who still could be back even if he says otherwise.

The posters point is some will have to or most likely transfer, but the haul is so over the top ridiculous that IOWA AND everyone else has to be having meetings and saying WTF!?!?!?!?!?

AT this point in the game, TnT should have plenty of good information about ALL the things that Krailure is offering. Obviously now, winning is a big thing for some recruits, but as this poster has said, and as I have said. What TOP kid is looking to ride the pine? Yes you can feel that you are the man, and you will win the spot. At some point though only ONE will man each weight.

You have it now with Fructose at 165. MessAschmit took his spot. Fructose had a shirt to burn. Maybe he goes to 174? but there are now 4-5 others in the weight range. Some will have a shirt, but are they going to be willing to Red shirt, gray shirt orange shirt Kralure special shirt etc......

It is extremely obvious that the 9.9 means nothing now for F*** st. If we are being honest it hasn't for the whole time Kralure has been there. NIL has changed it for everyone now so again, some of these recruits coming along ar GOT TO HAVE like Spencer Lee types. BO Bassett, The JAX kid.

HOW do you get them to IOWA???? What will it take? This is what I am not understanding? Now before you get the, this kid wants to stay near home. this kid grew up a fan of this team, etc...... I get that certain kids are not going to come to IOWA, but EVERY TOP kid who is open about possibly coming HAS to be thrown the kitchen sink!!!!

So bringing in the Ferraris ESPECIALLY the youngest, seems to be a NO brainer. To make that happen, I guess the others were part of the deal or process and part of the throwing everything they had at the #1 kid to come aboard. Other then him, what do we have?

We have ARNOLD, we have a few transfers. We had a nice commit from Deluca. Big Ben does not appear to be of any help. Without him and AJ, we have NOTHING that I see at 197 and heavy( and I do not mean to insult ANY kid as I am talking about MAJOR point scores that can help us win a team title!)

TEN weights to fill, I like Ayala to fill 125 or 133, we have a hole or need a freshman transfer to fill the other. We lose woods and I am not seeing a MAJOR point score to fill in for him? 157, 165, 174, appear to be pretty solid, but maybe not NC types at least right now. ARNOLD out of all of them seems to have the highest ceiling.

I think you need to get Kennedy in somewhere so someone needs to get to 184. Is 149 covered with someone good enough to score some points at nationals? I mean I believe to take out F*** st we will need to be talking about the 130+ point range!!!

MINIMUM 5 absolute HAMMERS who bring in 20+ points each!!!! There is your first 100-125, then another 5 STUDS who can place or add something. Bottom line is count what we have, and what we have coming in, add in ANY possible transfer or recruit, and give me YOUR answers to the problem!??!?!?!

Last edited:
So AJ and the clan of Ferraris become the center of the problems IOWA faces in getting back on top? I mean, we were the last team to win it other then F*** st and while our recruiting trended up somewhat. NO one including the HAWKS are within a country mile of Krailure over there and everyone is slipping even further behind!!!

Someone posted on a FB page the amount of TOP tier recruits/wrestlers from 150(not sure why this weight?) and up. He had it as 11 guy for 5 weights. Not even sure if any of the recruits could be a heavy weight? So it was more like 1o or 11 for 4 weight classes. This did not include all other wrestlers already on the team and StarFish who still could be back even if he says otherwise.

The posters point is some will have to or most likely transfer, but the haul is so over the top ridiculous that IOWA AND everyone else has to be having meetings and saying WTF!?!?!?!?!?

AT this point in the game, TnT should have plenty of good information about ALL the things that Krailure is offering. Obviously now, winning is a big thing for some recruits, but as this poster has said, and as I have said. What TOP kid is looking to ride the pine? Yes you can feel that you are the man, and you will win the spot. At some point though only ONE will man each weight.

You have it now with Fructose at 165. MessAschmit took his spot. Fructose had a shirt to burn. Maybe he goes to 174? but there are now 4-5 others in the weight range. Some will have a shirt, but are they going to be willing to Red shirt, gray shirt orange shirt Kralure special shirt etc......

It is extremely obvious that the 9.9 means nothing now for F*** st. If we are being honest it hasn't for the whole time Kralure has been there. NIL has changed it for everyone now so again, some of these recruits coming along ar GOT TO HAVE like Spencer Lee types. BO Bassett, The JAX kid.

HOW do you get them to IOWA???? What will it take? This is what I am not understanding? Now before you get the, this kid wants to stay near home. this kid grew up a fan of this team, etc...... I get that certain kids are not going to come to IOWA, but EVERY TOP kid who is open about possibly coming HAS to be thrown the kitchen sink!!!!

So bringing in the Ferraris ESPECIALLY the youngest, seems to be a NO brainer. To make that happen, I guess the others were part of the deal or process and part of the trowing everything they had at the #1 kid to come aboard. Other then him, what do we have?

We have ARNOLD, we have a few transfers. We had a nice commit from Deluca. Big Ben does not appear to be of any help. Without him and AJ, we have NOTHING that I see at 197 and heavy( and I do not mean to insult ANY kid as I am talking about MAJOR point scores that can help us win a team title!)

TEN weights to fill, I like Ayala to fill 125 or 133, we have a hole or need a freshman transfer to fill the other. We lose woods and I am not seeing a MAJOR point score to fill in for him? 157, 165, 174, appear to be pretty solid, but maybe not NC types at least right now. ARNOLD out of all of them seems to have the highest ceiling.

I think you need to get Kennedy in somewhere so someone needs to get to 184. Is 149 covered with someone good enough to score some points at nationals? I mean I believe to take out F*** st we will need to be talking about the 130+ point range!!!

MINIMUM 5 absolute HAMMERS who bring in 20+ points each!!!! There is your first 100-125, then another 5 STUDS who can place or add something. Bottom line is count what we have, and what we have coming in, add in ANY possible transfer or recruit, and give me YOUR answers to the problem!??!?!?!
A.J. isn't a problem. He's a solution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT