ADVERTISEMENT

Football without refs

naturalmwa

HR King
Feb 4, 2004
How could you redesign the game to make refs less of a factor while still protecting the players?

I wonder if technology couldn’t diminish their role? Sensors in the field and the ball. More cameras, feeding into an ai, etc. the refs are just such a kill joy.
Yes, but sports don't do it for some reason. I've been wondering for years why baseball doesn't have pressure sensors in each base.
Still need humans to review technology either way.
Would be nice to see them get a better grip in holding block in back etc

But it is what it is. Right now there is no way they're worried about spending money on new tech though.

Reactions: naturalmwa
I'm going to take a very literal approach to your question.

Don't think you can have football without refs entirely simply because of penalties. There's no way to measure holding, and personal fouls vary greatly based on what the ref sees in the field.

I could see the use of geofencing to determine the spot of the ball. E.g., at which point did the ball truly cross the plane or first down line to gain? That could speed up the review process to say, yep, he crossed the plane before the knee was down, instead of taking 10 minutes of our time. Play on.

Another thought could be using only booth refs (no on-field refs), with specialized cameras to observe pre-snap movement on the line, formations, etc. Every play (not scoring plays or turnovers, every play) would be reviewed in real time to determine holding calls, PI, etc. You would have to have a dedicated team on the field to keep the peace in the case teams start fighting.

Edit: also would need a dedicated person to spot the ball after each play.

Will this ever happen? Nah, probably some stupid ideas. Just trying to brainstorm a futuristic football since the game will look very different.

Like most on here, I think for spoting of the ball, it can be done with tech. I don't know why we don't... No more long replays for things that would take a second to look at.

Refs would only be on the field for penalties, physically spotting the ball and peace keeping.

Who would call an unsportsmanlike conduct for talking about someone’s momma? More field mics?!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT