ADVERTISEMENT

For all the Democratic excitement, Trump is still the favorite

Ummm Huey. How does she prevent price gouging without controlling prices?

The only thing she can really do to limit prices is to support healthy supply chains and strengthen antitrust laws and enforcement. Healthy competition and supply chains are the only real means of controlling prices in capitalist markets.

Unless there are some concrete polices in place to promote this, it's simply pandering, which pisses me off. She starts sounding like the Dear Leader when she does this.

The only thing she can really do to limit prices is to support healthy supply chains and strengthen antitrust laws and enforcement. Healthy competition and supply chains are the only real means of controlling prices in capitalist markets.

Unless there are some concrete polices in place to promote this, it's simply pandering, which pisses me off. She starts sounding like the Dear Leader when she does this.
This

They're related to any disaster or emergency. Which means that even conservative states are fine with consumer price protections. Until Harris says she is, too. Then you flip out. It's ok to admit that you had zero problem with this until Harris said she supported it.
Price gouging is simply a pejorative for capitalism. There really is no such thing in a market based economy.

She never said anything about using the government to control prices. She said that she would use the government to investigate sudden price spikes that may be ripping consumers off. At least get your facts straight here.

Other polls show different trends.

OP is right.

And Harris is not a great candidate no matter how you slice it. She was chosen by Biden because she checked the right DEI boxes.

So, don’t get so cocky. Just because the Republican Party is a shit show right now doesn’t make your party good. If it weren’t for Trump, there’s no way in hell I would be voting for Kamala.
Sure, the Trump campaign is totally acting like they are the likely winners right now. That's why they want as many debates as they can possibly get.

When questioning the polls, look at how the campaigns are behaving. One campaign seems to think that if they hold the course and don't fumble they should be in pretty good shape in November. The other campaign is throwing shit against the wall and hoping they can find something to run on. Also, one party is preparing for losses down ballot. The other is not.

How do you figure that?

God knows I hope you’re right. Convince me.
The bulk of his voters have been boomers. Some 5,000 due everyday. Millions of boomers have died since both 2016 and 2020. He's absolutely lost a lot of voters. The question is has he replaced them?

I am a glass half full guy-the turn around from where we were a mere four weeks ago (that’s right folks he stepped down 4 weeks ago to the day). He was free falling in the national polls and trailing literally every swing state. Kamala has only had about 23 days of campaigning as the nominee and is pulling away in national polls and already flipped all the swing state polls.

The trends are staggering and there is indeed panic on the right (the stories of senate and house candidates realizing they may have to finally distance themselves from Trump are real).

There is a convention to be had and Trump is truly melting down and looking shabby. And the enthusiasm gap is huge and on the Democrats side. Turnout to vote for Harris or vote against Trump will be massive. And they will continue to campaign every day while Trump holds ranty old man shakes fist at sky press conferences at golf courses or resorts.

Last edited:
So the reason for those particular laws is to address rare instances of complete market dislocation created by extraordinary events. They are not intended to provide any fixing of prices outside of those situations.
And Harris doesn't seem to be straying from this. You get that, right?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Why do you keep saying natural disasters? It's for any emergency. And even red states agree that it's necessary.
Emergencies and natural disasters…sorry. Virtually all states have those laws because they’re special circumstances.

That doesn’t have any relation to what Harris proposing. You’re deflecting, badly 😂

Why do you keep saying natural disasters? It's for any emergency. And even red states agree that it's necessary.
This is correct. Arguments could be made that any emergency can create severe market dislocation whereby it ceases to operate as intended. Covid fell into that category.

Emergencies and natural disasters…sorry. Virtually all states have those laws because they’re special circumstances.

That doesn’t have any relation to what Harris proposing. You’re deflecting, badly 😂
Her entire statement is that we should be able to investigate sudden spikes in prices to see what options we have. So if the housing market suddenly jumps 20% in one month, you're telling me that we shouldn't be able to investigate and address that?

Reactions: sober_teacher
Ummm Huey. How does she prevent price gouging without controlling prices?

You didn’t ask me but I finally got tired of you pushing this “price control” narrative which NO ONE has suggested other than republicans trying to reframe the message. And I really don’t want to put you on ignore but I do hope you can be willing to debate in good faith; you being a both-sides centrist and all.

To your question about price gouging vs price controls…

Price controls are prospective and would be focused on all market participants to dictate future behaviors. I agree this would be a bad policy.

Addressing price gouging is a reactive measure to identify parties/companies that have already engaged in that activity and punishing them so as to “discourage” that behavior going forward. It affects only the guilty parties, not the entirety of a market or industry. And it’s really not much different than how we use tax law to encourage or discourage certain behaviors (e.g. tax incentives for R&D, tax breaks for families with children, etc.)

I commented about this a little bit in the thread about grocery store margins, the other day. It’s unfortunate that the messaging was framed this way, but when talking to the general public, it needs to be said in a manner that relates/pertains to the audience. And in that regard, we experience the issue at the grocery store when we buy things. This doesn’t change the reality that the “fight over price-gouging” will really be conducted at the manufacturing and distribution level, not at the retail level.

I understand that that you would prefer to rail against price controls as that would be effective political strategy for the conservatives, but it just isn’t the reality of the situation, despite all the trumplicans spewing that non-sense.

All that said, Harris needs to clarify this position.

This is correct. Arguments could be made that any emergency can create severe market dislocation whereby it ceases to operate as intended. Covid fell into that category.
Lots of things fall under this. Personally I want the government to be on top of sudden unforeseen spikes in the market.

When she says things like she's going to drop food prices on day 1, I have to ask how? What's the underlying policy and what's the emergency other than she wants to get elected?
Having controls to deal with price gouging is a good start. Beyond that, it's just a campaign promise. A promise far far smaller than Trump's wild promises to fix prices I might add.

You didn’t ask me but I finally got tired of you pushing this “price control” narrative which NO ONE has suggested other than republicans trying to reframe the message. And I really don’t want to put you on ignore but I do hope you can be willing to debate in good faith; you being a both-sides centrist and all.

To your question about price gouging vs price controls…

Price controls are prospective and would be focused on all market participants to dictate future behaviors. I agree this would be a bad policy.

Addressing price gouging is a reactive measure to identify parties/companies that have already engaged in that activity and punishing them so as to “discourage” that behavior going forward. It affects only the guilty parties, not the entirety of a market or industry. And it’s really not much different than how we use tax law to encourage or discourage certain behaviors (e.g. tax incentives for R&D, tax breaks for families with children, etc.)

I commented about this a little bit in the thread about grocery store margins, the other day. It’s unfortunate that the messaging was framed this way, but when talking to the general public, it needs to be said in a manner that relates/pertains to the audience. And in that regard, we experience the issue at the grocery store when we buy things. This doesn’t change the reality that the “fight over price-gouging” will really be conducted at the manufacturing and distribution level, not at the retail level.

I understand that that you would prefer to rail against price controls as that would be effective political strategy for the conservatives, but it just isn’t the reality of the situation, despite all the trumplicans spewing that non-sense.

All that said, Harris needs to clarify this position.
She definitely needs to “clarify” her position.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
I believe there is a sizeable contingent of Trump voters that don't broadcast it, won't engage in a debate, don't care what comes through the media or gets posted on twitter, definitely don't want to be professionally canceled by getting their picture taken at a Trump rally, etc......but will show up on voting day and choose Trump.
And some who repeatedly claim they won’t, but we know they will.

The same is true of any candidate with a D by their name. This is decided in the middle, which is VERY small.

It more highlights tribal division than any sort of popularity of a specific candidate.
It’s decided by the middle, minorities, and women in just a handful of states. Outside of those few it doesn’t matter how they vote which demonstrates how fvcking stupid our electoral system is.

Other polls show different trends.

OP is right.

And Harris is not a great candidate no matter how you slice it. She was chosen by Biden because she checked the right DEI boxes.

So, don’t get so cocky. Just because the Republican Party is a shit show right now doesn’t make your party good. If it weren’t for Trump, there’s no way in hell I would be voting for Kamala.
Or, just don’t vote for either presidential candidate. 🤔

Reactions: MichaelKeller99
Uh oh

GVPHKaQWcAEQhNn.jpg

Right. Who was president during covid and BLM riots? Why did trump let those cities burn just like he did the capitol?
Trump actually contacted Walz early on in the Minneapolis riots to offer nat’l guard support, but witless Walz chose to wait before deploying them.

• Haha
Reactions: sober_teacher
Poll show Harris with only a 2.5% lead nationwide, which will not get it done with our electoral system. Trump may have a ceiling, but the floor is right below it, and the floor is absurdly high.

Nearly half of all Americans will vote for Teump no matter what . So he can stumble around the country spewing nonsense and transparent lies; it just doesn’t matter.

Turnout is the only thing that can save us from another four years.
Harris is a cackling idiot and that's all she'll ever be. The "excitement" is either manufactured or it's pure Trump hate. NOT because she's fantastic and has anything to offer with helping the US with its problems. She's by far the worst of the 3 candidates and would get steam-rolled in on the world political stage. Sorry, but she's a weak-ass candidate and those people with half a brain or greater realize it.

Harris is a cackling idiot and that's all she'll ever be. The "excitement" is either manufactured or it's pure Trump hate. NOT because she's fantastic and has anything to offer with helping the US with its problems. She's by far the worst of the 3 candidates and would get steam-rolled in on the world political stage. Sorry, but she's a weak-ass candidate and those people with half a brain or greater realize it.
Says the guy proving he only has half a brain.

Trump actually contacted Walz early on in the Minneapolis riots to offer nat’l guard support, but witless Walz chose to wait before deploying them.

Oh Hans. Such a blatant lie

The Minnesota National Guard, the entity that Walz deployed, is under the command of the governor, not the president. The president has the power to federalize states’ Guard troops under certain circumstances, but Trump never did so during the 2020 unrest in Minnesota.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT