ADVERTISEMENT

For those of you saying KF and CO won't change

A lot of false assumptions in your post. First off his name is Cade. How exactly are they negatively recruiting? That makes no sense. Who are they scape goating? Personnel issues can be for multiple reasons. This year is a PERFECT example, and is 100% true. look at the WR issue. First two backups transfer out end of last year. Then Jones leaves after spring and too late for Iowa to find an adequate replacement. Then Keagen Johnson is AWOL basically all season with injuries. Vines gets injured and misses first five or 6 games. B Brecht had a hamstring issue and couldn't play the first several games. Then Ragaini gets injured and misses first several games. Basically the WR room was crippled for the first 1/2 of the season and Johnson who was supposed to be the guy this year, never played, not to mention Jones baling late in the game.
Then there's the OL. Numerous injuries to start the year and during. Britt and Davidkov were planned to be in the mix, but no. Davidkov was a great get with major offers including Michigan and was probably projected as one of the starting tackles by now. He's never been on the field and Britt not much either in his three years. Another 4 star with really good offers who hasn't been able to get on the field. Myslinski and Elsbury battled injuries early and probably awarded Jones the center spot by default. Do you really not understand that these ARE personnel issues, and have played some role in Iowa's struggles?
You're right, Iowa is the only team in the nation that has transfers and injuries. That's why they've consistently had below average to atrocious offenses the past several seasons. (But then that would still be on coaching since the other ~130 teams don't need to deal with those issues, wouldn't it?)

The offense was not improved from the first game to the disaster against Nebraska.

It is too bad that Iowa is the only team that had injuries this year, maybe the injuries will be zero like other teams next season
Again. no one said that. But its a fact it did effect Iowa's available perssonel, did it not? Sure if your OSU or another top 5 team you can absorb those losses, but not Iowa, or most 2nd tier teams.

He was voted captain before the season. He's not a popular guy in Ann Arbor anymore and probably never will be. Congrats on getting him though. Real team guy (as long as he doesn't get beat out by a better player)
Real team guy (as long as he doesn't get beat out by a better player) This can be said about many players nowadays. Egos are stroked by fans and coaches to point of selfishness on the players part.
Nothing new.

Real team guy (as long as he doesn't get beat out by a better player) This can be said about many players nowadays. Egos are stroked by fans and coaches to point of selfishness on the players part.
Nothing new.
So voted captain before the season, loses a qb competition, then discovers that the team medical staff missed an injury from a year ago.........I wonder which of those makes him unpopular there.

Reactions: Bishop1971
So voted captain before the season, loses a qb competition, then discovers that the team medical staff missed an injury from a year ago.........I wonder which of those makes him unpopular there.

I'd go with the one where he transfers to Iowa....

Reactions: Section25
I will judge their true goal to make offensive change by if they hire an offensive coordinator in some capacity to help them make the change. I don't have any confidence in KF and BF to have the creativity and experience in what a good offense should look like.
No one cares about your confidence level

Well FWIW I’m not going to judge the team on this years 7-5, I’ll judge them on the last 5.
Yeah, much better for you sunshiners and smoke and mirrors Kirk to focus on seasons Iowa doesn't have to play OSU and Michigan.

Such a bitch move. Just plain stupid too. The big ten west sanctuary will back to the rescue in 23 for Kirk and Gary. Yay

Yeah, much better for you sunshiners and smoke and mirrors Kirk to focus on seasons Iowa doesn't have to play OSU and Michigan.

Such a bitch move. Just plain stupid too. The big ten west sanctuary will back to the rescue in 23 for Kirk and Gary. Yay
Ok

Clown mother****ing fan you are. Get the **** outta here.

50-23 the last 6 years you stupid mother****er. Now you go eat shit and die dumb ****. Should have 8 more wins with an average offense. I love the Hawkeyes, want them to win more, love the defense, am almost embarrassed at the offense. You’re such a better fan than those of us upset with a putrid offense. Get off your high horse.

I agree the offense needs to improve. Ultimately it comes down to the players making plays. But yes, there have been some stupid play calls by BF. Would I like to see a new offensive coordinator? Yes. But it probably won't happen in the near future.

I agree the offense needs to improve. Ultimately it comes down to the players making plays. But yes, there have been some stupid play calls by BF. Would I like to see a new offensive coordinator? Yes. But it probably won't happen in the near future.
It’s frustrating because we’ve wasted maybe two of then best defensive units we’ve ever had. Then posters like you act like it’s not a big deal. No one is upset with the defense, it is clearly a terrible offense for 4 out of the last five years. Then some posters think having a better offense would take away from the defense……the level of idiocy this represents is astounding to me. Like the offensive staff is also focused on the defense??? What in the actual eff

Reactions: littlez
It’s frustrating because we’ve wasted maybe two of then best defensive units we’ve ever had. Then posters like you act like it’s not a big deal. No one is upset with the defense, it is clearly a terrible offense for 4 out of the last five years. Then some posters think having a better offense would take away from the defense……the level of idiocy this represents is astounding to me. Like the offensive staff is also focused on the defense??? What in the actual eff
I don't think a better offense would take away anything from the defense. A better offense would greatly reduce the amount of time that the defense is out on the field which they were for many games this year and last.

Just watched a podcast with Cade and he said that Iowa has wanted to change the offense for years but haven't been able to due to personnel. Cade also said they are going to try and get multiple targets for him and All seems like a lock.
And that "due to personnel" is a load of crap. The personnel were hand picked by the HC, including nepo the OC.

So we’re now throwing the players under the bus? We would have run a different offense with better players?
I've said this before. It was moreso an observation during 2020 and 2021. But it just seemed like some of Brian's play calling wasn't suited for the QB we were playing. Like if we had the right style of QB, his offense would look better.

Now, that goes both ways. On one hand, you can gripe about not having the right guy, but on the other hand.........

A. maybe you should f***ing tweak or just outright change your "philosophy" if you're stuck playing a big, slow, inaccurate QB, who was apparently the best you could trot out there, which leads me to my next point,

B. Perhaps you should've done a better f***ing job of recruiting QBs that "fit your style" and not just letting the first big fat pocket passer that jumps at an offer be your end-all for the position, and that's on any of the staff that recruited our current QBs, including dipstick KOK who brilliantly settled on Petras when he jumped at an offer from Iowa and shunned guys like Trey Lance and Zach Wilson (who were pretty damn good college QBs despite what you may think of them as pros).

And then secondly, maybe you should actually do your f***ing job and DEVELOP whatever the f*** you end up with for QBs while they're there.

Because basically what we're finding out right now is that Padilla, May and Labas are either toast now or dead on arrival...............that's a coaching/recruiting problem.

Maybe they should f***ing deal with that, instead of complaining that they don't have the right guys.

Just sayin..... :D

And that "due to personnel" is a load of crap. The personnel were hand picked by the HC, including nepo the OC.

I don’t disagree completely, but that is somewhat mitigated by injury and development. Sometimes players just don’t have the ceiling or consistency that is anticipated out of high school. And to be fair, that’s happens everywhere not just Iowa.

Tyrone Tracy might be the best recent example of this. Thought he was a very good get out of high school, demonstrated great big play ability and speed as a freshman when smith was injured….never came close to matching that production afterwards, including struggles with drops.

I've said this before. It was moreso an observation during 2020 and 2021. But it just seemed like some of Brian's play calling wasn't suited for the QB we were playing. Like if we had the right style of QB, his offense would look better.

Now, that goes both ways. On one hand, you can gripe about not having the right guy, but on the other hand.........

A. maybe you should f***ing tweak or just outright change your "philosophy" if you're stuck playing a big, slow, inaccurate QB, who was apparently the best you could trot out there, which leads me to my next point,

B. Perhaps you should've done a better f***ing job of recruiting QBs that "fit your style" and not just letting the first big fat pocket passer that jumps at an offer be your end-all for the position, and that's on any of the staff that recruited our current QBs, including dipstick KOK who brilliantly settled on Petras when he jumped at an offer from Iowa and shunned guys like Trey Lance and Zach Wilson (who were pretty damn good college QBs despite what you may think of them as pros).

And then secondly, maybe you should actually do your f***ing job and DEVELOP whatever the f*** you end up with for QBs while they're there.

Because basically what we're finding out right now is that Padilla, May and Labas are either toast now or dead on arrival...............that's a coaching/recruiting problem.

Maybe they should f***ing deal with that, instead of complaining that they don't have the right guys.

Just sayin..... :D
Agree 100 fu$$ing % Monkey!

50-23 the last 6 years you stupid mother****er. Now you go eat shit and die dumb ****.
Look man - I get that you’re annoyed by the complaining but that’s a YOU problem.

By posting the record of ‘50-23 the last six years’ does nothing and gets you no where - It’s not even a decent comeback, because, the complaints are about the offense. The f**king offense man.

If we had a much improved i.e. serviceable offense that was known as simply “average” we wouldn’t be staring down a 7-5 record that could have easily been 8…9 wins..? Don’t you get that?

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I don’t disagree completely, but that is somewhat mitigated by injury and development. Sometimes players just don’t have the ceiling or consistency that is anticipated out of high school. And to be fair, that’s happens everywhere not just Iowa.

Tyrone Tracy might be the best recent example of this. Thought he was a very good get out of high school, demonstrated great big play ability and speed as a freshman when smith was injured….never came close to matching that production afterwards, including struggles with drops.
Over the last 5 years have we beat any solid Power 5 teams for any decent receivers? Guys that aren’t last minute guys we steal from Mac programs? And why can Phil make that work on the defensive side of the ball but not Brian? Just asking?

Reactions: obfuscating

"Development" is the coaches job, the QB and WR room is/has not developed, its regressed.

Over the last 5 years have we beat any solid Power 5 teams for any decent receivers? Guys that aren’t last minute guys we steal from Mac programs? And why can Phil make that work on the defensive side of the ball but not Brian? Just asking?
Well, Keegan and Arland had fairly solid offer lists just to name two. Bostick also had a solid offer list as well. As for why Phil is better at it; 1) obviously Parker is a better coach than Brian is (Parker is a top 5 assistant coach in the country imo). 2) It also clearly confirms that there's a serious scheme issue that (hopefully) gets addressed in the offseason - and yes, I'm hoping that includes some coaching changes.
"Development" is the coaches job, the QB and WR room is/has not developed, its regressed.
Agreed, but what that means players need to be healthy and execute when given the opportunity as well. This past year in particular, idk that I totally blame the coaches for the latter given all the injuries at WR this year. That much at least, there's not much that can be done.

I'm not sure where I land on Copeland as a WR coach. 2/3 years ago, he'd have been maybe 2nd behind Wallace as the best position coach on staff. Now? clearly as we've all said repeatedly, there are serious scheme issues that need to be addressed in order to make better use of the WRs we have, our recruitment/retention of them, etc.

Vines and Ragaini are 2 guys that I think have developed nicely the past few years. Bruce I think got frustrated by his usage this year but certainly looked positioned for good things. Keegan I have absolutely no idea what went on with him behind the scenes - this time last year we thought we had a stud on our hands, this year he struggled with injuries and for reasons we don't fully know, is now transferring. Bostick fought injuries and we barely saw him this year. Brecht I think could be a good one, but has to decide if he's a football player or a baseball player - hard to excel in both.

Well, Keegan and Arland had fairly solid offer lists just to name two. Bostick also had a solid offer list as well. As for why Phil is better at it; 1) obviously Parker is a better coach than Brian is (Parker is a top 5 assistant coach in the country imo). 2) It also clearly confirms that there's a serious scheme issue that (hopefully) gets addressed in the offseason - and yes, I'm hoping that includes some coaching changes.

Agreed, but what that means players need to be healthy and execute when given the opportunity as well. This past year in particular, idk that I totally blame the coaches for the latter given all the injuries at WR this year. That much at least, there's not much that can be done.

I'm not sure where I land on Copeland as a WR coach. 2/3 years ago, he'd have been maybe 2nd behind Wallace as the best position coach on staff. Now? clearly as we've all said repeatedly, there are serious scheme issues that need to be addressed in order to make better use of the WRs we have, our recruitment/retention of them, etc.

Vines and Ragaini are 2 guys that I think have developed nicely the past few years. Bruce I think got frustrated by his usage this year but certainly looked positioned for good things. Keegan I have absolutely no idea what went on with him behind the scenes - this time last year we thought we had a stud on our hands, this year he struggled with injuries and for reasons we don't fully know, is now transferring. Bostick fought injuries and we barely saw him this year. Brecht I think could be a good one, but has to decide if he's a football player or a baseball player - hard to excel in both.
SP got worse, Padilla got worse, our offense got worse (which was hard to do based upon last years finish). Bruce was average, Vines did little to nothing, Ragaini, once back, was average. Our best offensive player was LaPorta (tied for 82nd, no other Hawk made the list for receptions per game).

Execution comes from development, development comes from coaching; one of those is paramount.

Reactions: littlez
SP got worse, Padilla got worse, our offense got worse (which was hard to do based upon last years finish). Bruce was average, Vines did little to nothing, Ragaini, once back, was average. Our best offensive player was LaPorta (tied for 82nd, no other Hawk made the list for receptions per game).

Execution comes from development, development comes from coaching; one of those is paramount.
Vines i'm hoping can do more next year with a full year healthy. trying to comeback midseason after a broken wrist is tough for a position where you really needs strong hands. Thought he flashed at times imo, but will see. Nico meanwhile had his best year since his RS freshman yr.

I'm not arguing that coaching is a problem and I've expressed my opinion repeatedly on that. But I'm curious, where do you draw the line in terms of player vs coaching accountability? The coaching woes we've discussed repeatedly, but I've yet to see you hold players accountable to the same degree. When OL players too often simply miss blocks, is that coaching or the player? When the QB can't hit open receivers on easy throws, is that on him or the coaches?

Coaches obviously didn't do their best work this year...but there were also times where the right play was called, the players were all in the correct spots; but the pass was missed, OL missed a blitzer, WR dropped the pass. I think most of the first game when a struggling offense had Brian dial up a perfectly timed screen pass against a blitzing SDSU defense...and Petras overthrew the pass. Had it been completed, its either a TD or a big gainer inside the red zone.

The biggest problem with the offense is that it relies too heavily on near-perfect execution, with far too small a margin of error. At the same time, there have also been times when coaches did put players in good spots and they failed to execute.

Vines i'm hoping can do more next year with a full year healthy. trying to comeback midseason after a broken wrist is tough for a position where you really needs strong hands. Thought he flashed at times imo, but will see. Nico meanwhile had his best year since his RS freshman yr.

I'm not arguing that coaching is a problem and I've expressed my opinion repeatedly on that. But I'm curious, where do you draw the line in terms of player vs coaching accountability? The coaching woes we've discussed repeatedly, but I've yet to see you hold players accountable to the same degree. When OL players too often simply miss blocks, is that coaching or the player? When the QB can't hit open receivers on easy throws, is that on him or the coaches?

Coaches obviously didn't do their best work this year...but there were also times where the right play was called, the players were all in the correct spots; but the pass was missed, OL missed a blitzer, WR dropped the pass. I think most of the first game when a struggling offense had Brian dial up a perfectly timed screen pass against a blitzing SDSU defense...and Petras overthrew the pass. Had it been completed, its either a TD or a big gainer inside the red zone.

The biggest problem with the offense is that it relies too heavily on near-perfect execution, with far too small a margin of error. At the same time, there have also been times when coaches did put players in good spots and they failed to execute.
Players are responsible for their grades and their effort.

Haaaa!!! It was the players fault and all it took was Iowa getting a qb as great as Cade for Ferentz to see the light. Cade loves him some Cade. Good stuff. He's a pariah at Michigan now and after you guys have your typical 9-3 season none of you will remember he ever played at Iowa either. Young, dumb people who just don't see the big picture...
Talk about a bitter Wal-Mart Wolverine . Good job bud.

You're right, Iowa is the only team in the nation that has transfers and injuries. That's why they've consistently had below average to atrocious offenses the past several seasons. (But then that would still be on coaching since the other ~130 teams don't need to deal with those issues, wouldn't it?)
Cade HUGE step in "correct" direction.. More steps needed. Am old but not DRUNK! Change not fun as we get older. We offer playing time in Big 10. Ladell great recruiter. Remember him in Pros. Great back. They say at Iowa, he stood out as hard runner. Hawk Players and fans offer a very waay cool ATMOSPHERE. SELL it...

Jim Harbaugh changed a few things heading into last year. Remember the narrative following the '20 season? Heck this past off-season he was supposedly lobbying for the Dolphins gig, and many thought he should leave before he reverted back to old school Jim.

Nick Saban has evolved while winning. Look at his offenses led by McElroy, McCarron, and others who were game managers. Ten years ago, he ran a better, more talented version of what Ferentz does. His roots are Midwestern, he played at Kent State, and got his first head coaching big time gig in East Lansing. Remember he went into Columbus, and beat the number one Buckeyes.

So can an old dog learn new tricks? Yeah, but it helps when you can pull in talent like Michigan, and Alabama. Can anyone name the top five recruiting classes of the Kirk Ferentz era?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT