ADVERTISEMENT

Fran Twitter rumor: Arkansas

Show me the evidence that he can't recruit high major talent; Joe W was a 4 * recruit who stayed home, and he was in the mix with Carton until the last minute. Garza was a 4* recruit as was Cook. Joe T just clicked over to a 4* if I'm not mistaken. He's also got Xavier Foster, a 5*, taking tons of visits. In my opinion (which maybe doesn't mean a whole lot), that is the definition of high major talent.

You are mistaken, just look at our commit list. He is a 3 star with weak offers.
By weak you mean UNLV, Wichita State, Iowa, Dayton, etc.? And MVP of his NY City league, ESPN 4-star and otherwise considered a high 3-star? Sounds like a good prospect to me...

Fran's pay ranks in the bottom half of the league. Why wouldn't he talk to Arkansas? Get a 6 year contract and he could double his money until he hits 65 and retires. When coupled with the fact he feels unappreciated at Iowa, why wouldn't he leave for more $$$$$?

Sounds good to me.

The program needs a reset and I'm thinking the McCafferys could use one too. Winning a game in the tournament doesn't change that. Even though I think Iowa is going to have a pretty good year next season.

The window to take Iowa to another level has closed for Fran IMO. You cant sell 3 tournament wins in 9 years. It doesn't get any recruits excited.

Fran worked hard when the window was open but came up short when he needed a little luck in recruiting.

Tylerl and the Truth bet publicly (on HR) $10 on the Iowa/Cincy game. The Truth won the bet and Tylerl, in true troll fashion, disappeared for several days (on vacation:rolleyes:). When Tyler came back to post, he said he would pay, but apparently never did.

The Truth was taking another bet in this thread which I thought would be a great chance for Troller_28 to get his money back in double or nothing. I was joking with The Truth. Nothing about Twitter.

He did end up paying but, as I made clear in my post, asked him to give it to charity instead. So I sent it back with the same instructions.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Yea he's probably not leaving.

So, do you think Drake's coach would be considered for next year? I know I know, we should stay way from non-power 5 coaches, but I can't help but think how exciting the program would be with someone like that taking over.

Sounds good to me.

The program needs a reset and I'm thinking the McCafferys could use one too. Winning a game in the tournament doesn't change that. Even though I think Iowa is going to have a pretty good year next season.

The window to take Iowa to another level has closed for Fran IMO. You cant sell 3 tournament wins in 9 years. It doesn't get any recruits excited.

Fran worked hard when the window was open but came up short when he needed a little luck in recruiting.

So returning everyone but a former walk-on/6th man in Baer while adding a top 100 player in Patrick and solid PG in JT along with two redshirts rejoining the team would suggest the window has now closed? Granted, we could see a couple departures, including Cook, but I would have to think the window remains as wide open next year as it was this year and they clearly took a step forward this year. We were one possession away from the sweet sixteen.

Also, Fran's recruiting has slowly but surely improved. He landed his first top 100 recruit from out of state in Cook, followed it up with another top 100 recruit in Garza and followed that up with a top 75 player in Wieskamp. Look, I'm not the biggest McCaffery fan in the world and would agree 3 tournament wins in 9 years isn't great, but I think its rather difficult to make any sort of argument that would suggest Iowa's window to take it to another level under McCaffery has closed. If Cook really wants to be in a position to be drafted and values team accomplishments, he'll come back and this veteran team will be hungry to take another step forward and I think the odds are in their favor to do just that.

Lol ok. You are aware he is thought to be the lead candidate for Arkansas and that is why he was brought up? Not him going to Iowa which you seemed to think.

Bottom line, I have a good source.. you don’t have to believe it, and I could care less if you do. Mussleman might be connected to a few searches, I’d be shocked if he goes anywhere but a lateral move for more money.

That guy's a hack trying to get hits. And there is no way in hell that Iowa would even consider Steve Forbes so I know he is full of shit.

Sounds good to me.

How many tournament wins did Iowa have in the 9 years prior to Fran?

The 3 tournament wins in 9 years is really misleading. I don't think you can even judge Fran on first 2-3 years as he was left a pile of dung by Lickliter.

If you go off his past 6 years he's made tournament 4 out of 6 with 3 tournament wins.
This is the realistic view. McC walked into a dumpster fire started by Alford and worsened by Lickliter. Getting Iowa back to dancing and getting the recruits necessary to win in the tournament was a success. Now getting Iowa beyond is the next step.

That guy's a hack trying to get hits. And there is no way in hell that Iowa would even consider Steve Forbes so I know he is full of shit.

curious why there would be 'no way in hell' Forbes would even be considered if Iowa was looking? Guy has won at every stop, seems to be a hell of a recruiter, plays an entertaining brand of basketball and has Iowa ties. If you say he is shady, so are the majority of D1 programs and coaches. While we all sit at home and try to remember our last great 8 and final four that were 32 and 40 years ago respectively (say that again just for fun), Bruce Pearl says hello from the 2019 Final Four. If Fran were to leave, as a fan I would be excited about the prospect of Forbes coming back to Iowa.

Reactions: onionman1
I could see little dickie pitino leaving if offered. Loses Murphy and few other seniors plus coffey could go pro. Fresh start somewhere else for him. Always kind of felt like Minny job was a stepping stone job for him. Also be amazing if Alfrod gets it and somehow lands another power 5 job.
Yeah, I could see Pitino going down there.

Also considering the strength in the roster for next year.....could be his best team yet.

curious why there would be 'no way in hell' Forbes would even be considered if Iowa was looking? Guy has won at every stop, seems to be a hell of a recruiter, plays an entertaining brand of basketball and has Iowa ties. If you say he is shady, so are the majority of D1 programs and coaches. While we all sit at home and try to remember our last great 8 and final four that were 32 and 40 years ago respectively (say that again just for fun), Bruce Pearl says hello from the 2019 Final Four. If Fran were to leave, as a fan I would be excited about the prospect of Forbes coming back to Iowa.

He got a show cause

Bottom line, I have a good source.. you don’t have to believe it, and I could care less if you do. Mussleman might be connected to a few searches, I’d be shocked if he goes anywhere but a lateral move for more money.
I don't know much about Eric Musselman, except Nevada had a really good year, and he coached in the NBA for a few years (Sacramento and Golden State?).

If he is anything like his dad, Bill Musselman, who coached at a small college in Ohio near my hometown, before he got some big jobs, then he is a POS. NOT a good person. BM was coaching at Minny in the 70s when his players literally stomped on an OSU player's head laying on the court, after one kicked him in the groin, because OSU had just beaten them to win the Big Ten championship. Funny how the apple usually doesn't fall far from the tree...

There is a slime trail behind Forbes a mile long.

So returning everyone but a former walk-on/6th man in Baer while adding a top 100 player in Patrick and solid PG in JT along with two redshirts rejoining the team would suggest the window has now closed? Granted, we could see a couple departures, including Cook, but I would have to think the window remains as wide open next year as it was this year and they clearly took a step forward this year. We were one possession away from the sweet sixteen.

Also, Fran's recruiting has slowly but surely improved. He landed his first top 100 recruit from out of state in Cook, followed it up with another top 100 recruit in Garza and followed that up with a top 75 player in Wieskamp. Look, I'm not the biggest McCaffery fan in the world and would agree 3 tournament wins in 9 years isn't great, but I think its rather difficult to make any sort of argument that would suggest Iowa's window to take it to another level under McCaffery has closed. If Cook really wants to be in a position to be drafted and values team accomplishments, he'll come back and this veteran team will be hungry to take another step forward and I think the odds are in their favor to do just that.

Just my opinion.

You need to be able to sell the future possibilities, sell "where were going".

Frans recruiting hasn't been terrible but hes always lacked the guards to really compete.

Imo the window was the time frame of Wes Washpun, Monte Morris, EC Mathews, and Tyler Ulis.

Any one of those players could have changed the trajectory of the program.

Now were so far along that it's a much bigger uphill climb to change the trajectory IMO.

Even a sweet 16 run isn't going to do a whole lot now. Where as a sweet 16 run in year 3 does a huge amount.

Theres too much evidence out there of sustained averagness.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
This is the realistic view. McC walked into a dumpster fire started by Alford and worsened by Lickliter. Getting Iowa back to dancing and getting the recruits necessary to win in the tournament was a success. Now getting Iowa beyond is the next step.

Fran has essentially been Alford.

To use the cliche of dumpster fire for one and not the other is kind of silly.

Lick was the steaming pile of shit sandwiched between average.

Lick was the steaming pile of shit sandwich between average.
If you can't see that Iowa was going down the tubes when Alford left then you obviously need a white cane.

Edit: adding data. The last 3 classes for Alford were 6 (3 left early or never played), 3 (2 left early or never played), and 5 (3 left early or never played). That means he recruited 14 players and only 6 actually played meaningful minutes at Iowa. That is the definition of a dumpster fire if there ever was one.

Last edited:

Lick was the steaming pile of shit sandwiched between average.

So was Dr Tom also? After his first 3 years even first 2 with Raveling recruits years 4-9 almost identical to Fran. Only difference was later on in his last year made sweet 16. That and he inherited a roster with NBA talent compared to the dog crap Fran did. So if Fran makes sweet 16 in next few years basically will have done same as Dr Tom when they coached a roster full of their own recruited players.

Just my opinion.

You need to be able to sell the future possibilities, sell "where were going".

Frans recruiting hasn't been terrible but hes always lacked the guards to really compete.

Imo the window was the time frame of Wes Washpun, Monte Morris, EC Mathews, and Tyler Ulis.

Any one of those players could have changed the trajectory of the program.

Now were so far along that it's a much bigger uphill climb to change the trajectory IMO.

Even a sweet 16 run isn't going to do a whole lot now. Where as a sweet 16 run in year 3 does a huge amount.

Theres too much evidence out there of sustained averagness.
I agree re: the need for guards, but would add in a nitpicky point that EC wasn’t feasible since Iowa got Jok instead. They only had room for 1 in the ‘13 class I believe

Also, I would disagree about the impact of a Sweet 16 run. Being able to tell recruits you’ve made the Round of 32 and the Sweet 16 in consecutive years would definitely be a selling point

He got a show cause

so have a lot of D1 coaches...he paid his price at a juco, assistant at WSU and now head coach at ETSU. Wasn't the show cause based on an illegal BBQ at Pearls house? That deserves a slap on the wrist, not a show cause penalty for 1yr. You've got major scandals that get swept under the rug to preserve the blue bloods and we're supposed to be concerned about an illegal bbq that a recruit on an unofficial visit attended? no big deal.

If Fran moves on, which I continue to think remains unlikely, I would consider it a good outcome. Avoiding firing a coach and the negative financial impact that can have on the department is a significant positive.

The main downside is that the current AD would be hiring the new coach. And that is a very bad thing.

Kind of. He was also told he was going to be fired in a year if he didn’t win...and he wasn’t going to win.

Speaking of him.... he too had a better B1G than Dr Tom with his own recruits. Either way, he moved on from us however you want to spin it.

So was Dr Tom also? After his first 3 years even first 2 with Raveling recruits years 4-9 almost identical to Fran. Only difference was later on in his last year made sweet 16. That and he inherited a roster with NBA talent compared to the dog crap Fran did. So if Fran makes sweet 16 in next few years basically will have done same as Dr Tom when they coached a roster full of their own recruited players.

Dr. Tom>Fran

In the spirit of Monkey.

Reactions: onionman1
The 3 tournament wins in 9 years is really misleading. I don't think you can even judge Fran on first 2-3 years as he was left a pile of dung by Lickliter.

If you go off his past 6 years he's made tournament 4 out of 6 with 3 tournament wins.

Fran had us at Lickliter level last year and got to NCAA this year--it isn't difficult to improve in basketball becausey you only need 5 guys The "pile of dung" he was left included future All-B1G players Gatens and Marble.

Arkansas would be stupid to take Fran, but if they do, at least the buyout is no longer issue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT