ADVERTISEMENT

Fran yelling profanity at the refs after the game

Never T’d anyone up for hanging on the rim. Had to T a coach for having an incorrect line up. Also had toT up a kid for taunting (throat slash)!

If your so inclined go to the Iowa athletic association website and sign up. Become one and see how “easy it is”.

I'm just a critic. I watch 3-4 hours of NBA every night & know what good reffing looks like. It's very refreshing watching NBA refs work after watching a college game.

I'm just a critic. I watch 3-4 hours of NBA every night & know what good reffing looks like. It's very refreshing watching NBA refs work after watching a college game.

NBA game a little different than the college game. Also the level of talent is a little different.

But haven’t the NBA officials miss a few travels lately?? I think I saw one player take 5 steps!

NBA game a little different than the college game. Also the level of talent is a little different.

But haven’t the NBA officials miss a few travels lately?? I think I saw one player take 5 steps!

Yeah yeah they're lenient on travels. You do get 2.5 steps compared to 2 in college. NBA refs are so much better at block/charge calls, no whistle on shot clock violation when the defensive team gets the rebound, clear path calls, flagrant calls...the list is endless.

Ya, Fran's strategy for working/managing da officials works for a Bobby Knight, but not a for Fran. :)

Barta may want to suspend Fran, instead of Dolph. Emberrassing. :)
Ya, I should just be a consultant for your university/AD dept. :)

I said Fran should be suspended, and now he's suspended. I said over da weekened that Dolphin would be back next year, and now he's back. :)

I would recommend Fran read these guides for starters on how to manage da officials. You welcome. :)

https://www.basketballforcoaches.com/how-to-manipulate-referees/
http://www.layups.com/how-coaches-can-influence-referees/

Really? Those are a disgrace? We're 21-7, have turned things around in a huge way from last year and we are in the top half of the toughest top to bottom conference in the country and the coach is a disgrace?

I heard somewhere that this is 5 of the last 7 he's gotten this team to 20 wins....one of the two was the 19 win season where we didn't get to 20....

This performance was frustrating and painful....but the loss was not unexpected.

Dead on. Every loss has to be so over the top in how horrible the team and Fran is. They are going to lose games.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Ya, Fran's strategy for working/managing da officials works for a Bobby Knight, but not a for Fran. :)

Barta may want to suspend Fran, instead of Dolph. Emberrassing. :)

I thought Barta was going to wait to suspend Fran until Pollard got around to suspending Prohm for his psycho meltdowns in the Iowa game earlier this year but Barta must have realized Pollard wasn’t going to do the right thing and went ahead and suspended Fran.

Fran was in Gottlieb’s show about 30 minutes ago. Said he was wrong and didn’t handle it the right way. Gottlieb asked him if he believed he got cheated and Fran said no. He said his emotions got the best of him.

Reactions: perryhawk
If you don't think games are decided by referees, then you are very, very naive. Referees feed on momentum. Why do you think there are so many big runs? Watch a basketball game and pay attention when a team gets on a run. You will see the demeanor of refs change. They will be more likely to call an and 1. They will more likely call a moving screen. They will be more likely to call a foul on a 3 pointer. Prove me wrong.
You aren’t wrong about the momentum thing and the officials. Happens all the time!

Reactions: coreyzbizkits
Getting in a refs ear during the game is part of coaching. Likewise getting the OCCASIONAL technical.

Screaming at a guy in the tunnel after the game is idiotic and quite worthy of a couple games suspension.

Getting in a refs ear during the game is part of coaching. Likewise getting the OCCASIONAL technical.

Screaming at a guy in the tunnel after the game is idiotic and quite worthy of a couple games suspension.

As a believer in Fran's coaching ability and as a supporter of the head coach of the Iowa Hawkeyes basketball team...I have to agree with this assessment.

Fran is a smart guy.....and he has to be much smarter than this. Hopefully this team is still able to pull out an important win in this game. In addition, there are recruits scheduled to be at the game this weekend and all of us hardcore fans know how important recruiting is and in particular how important it is at this juncture for this Iowa basketball program.

Lose this game and the bitchers and whiners are going to be all over Fran and this team....this game is one we really need at this point in the schedule as we near the end of the year. A loss at Wisconsin without Fran I don't think will carry the same impact on blaming him. Some will blame him if it happens, but since we would be the underdog there anyway maybe not as much sting.

What my positive fan hope holds is as follows: This team takes the backs against the wall, gonna support our coach, it's us against the world approach and they come out and not only handle Rutgers but go on the road and kick the BADgers in the nads (figuratively) and beat them as well!

I thought Barta was going to wait to suspend Fran until Pollard got around to suspending Prohm for his psycho meltdowns in the Iowa game earlier this year but Barta must have realized Pollard wasn’t going to do the right thing and went ahead and suspended Fran.
Ya, lot of drama going on in Iowa City right now, lot of drama. :) Cyclones are just going to sit this one out and watch. We'll try and follow your example. :)

We have all seen the crazy parent yelling at the refs during their kids game.
Parents can get emotionally invested and overreact.
Fran is both a coach and a parent, since the questionable calls and T involved Connor at the end, I wonder if that played a part in his boiling over in the tunnel.

I'm not excusing Frans actions.

Holtman said "That's two bullshit calls" twice in the first couple minutes of the game. You could clearly read his lips but he wasn't out of his mind red-faced walking on the court and it didn't persist. Not close to being worthy of a T if that is what some are referring to.

Second, I like that Connor has some swagger but he needs to check it. The refs aren't looking to him to validate their calls and sure as hell don't want any lip or demonstrative reactions. Cook does a nice job of giving refs the shocked look then walks over respectfully and ( I assume) asks what he did or what they saw. Connor is going to be in McCabevlle pretty soon and will get whistled for breathing on people if he keeps his antics up.

Did you watch the game? Maybe they weren't 20 points bad, but Ohio State was allowed to do whatever they wanted defensively, including bumping Iowa players on most shots, also when dribbling up top. When Iowa shoots 10 less free throws in the game, and is called for more fouls, it makes a difference. When a team is held/bumped when trying to run an offense, or bumped on most shots down low, then this means refs are controlling the game. There were many times where Iowa made shots down low that could have been and 1's.

Playing on the road in the Big Ten is tough already, but it seems a lot of teams get shafted on the road by officials. There is no accountability for the officials.

I didn't see a lot down low but agree that Bohannon was getting pin balled all over the court. Iowa has 0 chance to beat anybody if the refs allow that level of physicality with the guards. It was MSU style defense on the perimeter and I think it only got called once and that was late in the game.

Holtman said "That's two bullshit calls" twice in the first couple minutes of the game. You could clearly read his lips but he wasn't out of his mind red-faced walking on the court and it didn't persist. Not close to being worthy of a T if that is what some are referring to.

Second, I like that Connor has some swagger but he needs to check it. The refs aren't looking to him to validate their calls and sure as hell don't want any lip or demonstrative reactions. Cook does a nice job of giving refs the shocked look then walks over respectfully and ( I assume) asks what he did or what they saw. Connor is going to be in McCabevlle pretty soon and will get whistled for breathing on people if he keeps his antics up.

Wait, what?

First of all, did Fran appear red faced or out of control when he picked up his T? Not even in the slightest and he was a hell of a lot more calm that Holtmann yelling BS at the ref. That part is obvious. Holtmann didn’t persist? We must have a different definition of persist then, because after the commentators mentioned his warning he was still barking in McJunkins’ ear and yelled at Paul Szelczkshs while sticking up two fingers.

Secondly, you completely contradicted yourself in your post. The refs don’t want any lip service or demonstrative reaction? What do you call a coach telling them that their call was horse&$@? repeatedly? Oh yeah, “Not close to being worthy of a T”. But walking away with a wrist flip is? Your biases are clear.

Reactions: owenhawk
Wait, what?

First of all, did Fran appear red faced or out of control when he picked up his T? Not even in the slightest and he was a hell of a lot more calm that Holtmann yelling BS at the ref. That part is obvious. Holtmann didn’t persist? We must have a different definition of persist then, because after the commentators mentioned his warning he was still barking in McJunkins’ ear and yelled at Paul Szelczkshs while sticking up two fingers.

Secondly, you completely contradicted yourself in your post. The refs don’t want any lip service or demonstrative reaction? What do you call a coach telling them that their call was horse&$@? repeatedly? Oh yeah, “Not close to being worthy of a T”. But walking away with a wrist flip is? Your biases are clear.

Yep and Mac McCauslabd was on radio yesterday and said he was sitting right behind the Iowa bench and saw Fran get the T. He said all Fran said was “and 1” and then was T’d up. No swearing or anything demonstrative.

Now what Fran did in the tunnel after the game was wrong and he was punished accordingly. But what’s happening is people/media are blending the two separate situations into one.

Ya, lot of drama going on in Iowa City right now, lot of drama. :) Cyclones are just going to sit this one out and watch. We'll try and follow your example. :)

Ya no doubt! It’s hard being the top dog in the state that always wins and the only university outside of Iowa that people care about.

Wait, what?

What are my biases exactly?. I am not a Fran fan but that is 95% based on his recruiting and 5% on his demeanor. The refs will take more off a coach than a player especially a freshman. Connor needs to play the game not react to every foul call like he is getting screwed.

No doubt there are some coaches who get preferential treatment. An outburst from Izzo won't draw a T while the same outburst from Fran might. My point is that there is no reason to pursue this after the game. You aren't fighting for your team in a hallway after a 20 point loss. So Fran gets suspended two games, Iowa gets fined $10K, and Fran adds to the off the court BS. How does any of this equate to fighting for his team?

What are my biases exactly?. I am not a Fran fan but that is 95% based on his recruiting and 5% on his demeanor. The refs will take more off a coach than a player especially a freshman. Connor needs to play the game not react to every foul call like he is getting screwed.

No doubt there are some coaches who get preferential treatment. An outburst from Izzo won't draw a T while the same outburst from Fran might. My point is that there is no reason to pursue this after the game. You aren't fighting for your team in a hallway after a 20 point loss. So Fran gets suspended two games, Iowa gets fined $10K, and Fran adds to the off the court BS. How does any of this equate to fighting for his team?

This is a real response.... I’m not making this up. “What are my biases exactly? I am not a Fran fan....”. You don’t like Fran, that’s your bias right there. Nobody cares why you don’t like him, but your bias is quite obvious.

What you’ve just said was there are different sets of rules for players and coaches. To take that a step further you said, the rules change based upon what grade level you are. That would explain why one coach went on a cussing tirade and picked up a warning and while another coach asked “and 1?” and picked up a T. I was unaware of the different set of rules in the rule book. Where in the rule book can I find unsportsmanlike behavior is based upon your role on the team?

You admit that there are different sets of rules for coaches. That is an excellent reason to call a ref a cheater in the tunnel, because that’s exactly what refs are doing. When one team plays by one set of rules and another team is allowed to play by a different set of rules, that’s the definition of cheating. I am thankful Iowa finally has a coach that won’t take getting long dicked lying down.

Reactions: jimbob22
This is a real response.... I’m not making this up. “What are my biases exactly? I am not a Fran fan....”. You don’t like Fran, that’s your bias right there. Nobody cares why you don’t like him, but your bias is quite obvious.

What you’ve just said was there are different sets of rules for players and coaches. To take that a step further you said, the rules change based upon what grade level you are. That would explain why one coach went on a cussing tirade and picked up a warning and while another coach asked “and 1?” and picked up a T. I was unaware of the different set of rules in the rule book. Where in the rule book can I find unsportsmanlike behavior is based upon your role on the team?

You admit that there are different sets of rules for coaches. That is an excellent reason to call a ref a cheater in the tunnel, because that’s exactly what refs are doing. When one team plays by one set of rules and another team is allowed to play by a different set of rules, that’s the definition of cheating. I am thankful Iowa finally has a coach that won’t take getting long dicked lying down.

When someone tells you their point of view they aren't hiding a bias. I am trying to be reasonable but you have either been pounding Red Bulls all day or just want to stir the pot. If you don't understand what I shared with you about different officiating for different players then you need to do some Internet research. A freshman gets called for stuff a senior won't in many cases. A guy like Haap isn't getting called for ticky tack stuff that Garza would to be more specific. Same is true with coaches. Izzo gets a pass when Fran, Chambers, etc., would probably get a T. You have heard of Michael Jordan right and the Jordan Rules?

What Fran did has 0 to do with sticking up for his team IMO. They got their doors blown off because of the same issues Fran's teams have year after year when teams play tight man. Nobody can get separation. Bohannon wears a defender all night and can't get even a contested look and the defense is nonexistent. When you lose by 20 you didn't get "cheated" by anybody.

If you are SJW who cries "But that's not fair" about everything then I my advice to you is that life isn't fair. How many drinks do guys buy the least attractive chick at the bar? Hot women get preferential treatment over not so hot women. It's how things work with human nature.

When someone tells you their point of view they aren't hiding a bias. I am trying to be reasonable but you have either been pounding Red Bulls all day or just want to stir the pot. If you don't understand what I shared with you about different officiating for different players then you need to do some Internet research. A freshman gets called for stuff a senior won't in many cases. A guy like Haap isn't getting called for ticky tack stuff that Garza would to be more specific. Same is true with coaches. Izzo gets a pass when Fran, Chambers, etc., would probably get a T. You have heard of Michael Jordan right and the Jordan Rules?

What Fran did has 0 to do with sticking up for his team IMO. They got their doors blown off because of the same issues Fran's teams have year after year when teams play tight man. Nobody can get separation. Bohannon wears a defender all night and can't get even a contested look and the defense is nonexistent. When you lose by 20 you didn't get "cheated" by anybody.

If you are SJW who cries "But that's not fair" about everything then I my advice to you is that life isn't fair. How many drinks do guys buy the least attractive chick at the bar? Hot women get preferential treatment over not so hot women. It's how things work with human nature.

I never claimed that you were “hiding” your bias. Your bias is clearly overt by your posting alone. You don’t like Fran, that’s obvious and a bias in your judgement in this incident. That’s what I am saying and you’ve more than validated my thoughts.

I apologize if I’m coming off hostile. I’m not trying to, but unfair officiating pisses me off quite a bit because there’s not a lot that can be done about it. There is very little accountability among POOR officials. That’s frustrating to fans who continue to get the raw end of their incompetency and/or biases.

“When you lose by 20 you didn’t get cheated by anybody”? Iowa lost by 20 at UNI in 2011-2012. I’d say it’s pretty well universally known who got cheated in that game. But, I don’t believe Iowa was winning last Tuesday regardless of the officials. I don’t think they were cheated out of winning, that’s not the same as saying they weren’t cheated at all though.

I agree with you about the different set of rules applied. Nowhere in the rules does it say freshmen and sophomores play by one set of rules and seniors have another. Nor does it say that you have a longer leash if you’ve been to the sweet 16 or beyond. That’s the point I’m trying to make and IMO the exact reason why FM did what he did. He was sticking up for his team and the Iowa program saying that we are not going to be the doormat any longer.

I think you may be surprised how often this happens. Especially with a coach like Krzyzewski or Roy Williams.

I never claimed that you were “hiding” your bias. Your bias is clearly overt by your posting alone. You don’t like Fran, that’s obvious and a bias in your judgement in this incident. That’s what I am saying and you’ve more than validated my thoughts.

I apologize if I’m coming off hostile. I’m not trying to, but unfair officiating pisses me off quite a bit because there’s not a lot that can be done about it. There is very little accountability among POOR officials. That’s frustrating to fans who continue to get the raw end of their incompetency and/or biases.

“When you lose by 20 you didn’t get cheated by anybody”? Iowa lost by 20 at UNI in 2011-2012. I’d say it’s pretty well universally known who got cheated in that game. But, I don’t believe Iowa was winning last Tuesday regardless of the officials. I don’t think they were cheated out of winning, that’s not the same as saying they weren’t cheated at all though.

I agree with you about the different set of rules applied. Nowhere in the rules does it say freshmen and sophomores play by one set of rules and seniors have another. Nor does it say that you have a longer leash if you’ve been to the sweet 16 or beyond. That’s the point I’m trying to make and IMO the exact reason why FM did what he did. He was sticking up for his team and the Iowa program saying that we are not going to be the doormat any longer.

I don't disagree that officiating is wildly inconsistent and it shouldn't be dependent on coaches, home / road, etc. A foul is a foul and while some calls like block / charge are hard to make there are calls like riding the ball handler (Bohannon) that should be called consistently. MSU is the worst offender in the B1G but until the refs call it there is no incentive for Izzo to adjust.

As far as my bias towards Fran I was clear in my other response it is 95% based on recruiting and 5% on his demeanor. If your assertion above is true about Fran not wanting to be the doormat any longer then the best way to address that is through recruiting, coaching and player development. It's year 3 of Bohannon being hounded by defenders because we don't have anybody who can go north-south with the ball. Having an elite shooter is negated when they are relegated to taking deep, rushed, contested 3's.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT