ADVERTISEMENT

Fran yelling profanity at the refs after the game

I never complain about refs, but these guys were awful.

At the same time, I have to say that Fran is the worst defensive coach in recent Iowa basketball history (worse than Lick). Even the B1G commentators were talking about it before the game started, saying how Iowa is lethergic on defense and let’s teams gang around. Iowa needs to hire an excellent defensive assistant coach.

Defensively it's been the same for years. Opponent drives to the basket or the ball goes inside, the off ball defenders all turn their backs to their man allowing wide open catch and shoots. Opponents don't help off of Bohannon for a reason.

At the same time, I have to say that Fran is the worst defensive coach in recent Iowa basketball history (worse than Lick). Even the B1G commentators were talking about it before the game started, saying how Iowa is lethergic on defense and let’s teams gang around. Iowa needs to hire an excellent defensive Head coach.
fify

Defensively it's been the same for years. Opponent drives to the basket or the ball goes inside, the off ball defenders all turn their backs to their man allowing wide open catch and shoots. Opponents don't help off of Bohannon for a reason.
Yep and they all ball watch Baer especially

Reactions: hawkhorn

At the same time, I have to say that Fran is the worst defensive coach in recent Iowa basketball history (worse than Lick). Even the B1G commentators were talking about it before the game started, saying how Iowa is lethergic on defense and let’s teams gang around. Iowa needs to hire an excellent defensive assistant coach.
Or just a new sane head coach

And that's one of many problems with Fran. He'd rather berate the refs than figure out why his teams hit a wall come February.

His coaching of defense, recruiting, and substitution patterns are the real disgrace.

He could still pull it together going into post season, but if the reports on what he said to the ref are true, I’ve lost a lot of respect.

I’m with Fran on this one.. Who knows what he said but he’s been ten times more irate towards officials than when he got his T which just happened to be after his son got one. That’s pathetic from an officiating standpoint and not consistent at all with how often people complain and get after officials. The ref got caught up in the whole father son thing there’s no question about that..

Richard Pitino ran after a ref last week when they lost to Nebraska and said “**** you you stupid mother ****er” four times in a row.. why does it matter that Fran did it in a tunnel?

Nobody here gives a shit about Pitino.

Fran is Iowa's coach and I think many fans would prefer he focus more on coaching and less on officiating.

Richard Pitino ran after a ref last week when they lost to Nebraska and said “**** you you stupid mother ****er” four times in a row.. why does it matter that Fran did it in a tunnel?
So you are fine with the head coach at Iowa emulating the behavior of the Gophers coach? Iowa should have higher standards than Minnesota.

Reactions: grayhair81
Anyone know which of the officials T’d up Connor and Fran? Didn’t watch the game, but when I read about it, I thought right away, “sounds like Paul Szelc”. And sure enough, I see he did the game.

He gave Pat Chambers his only T last season, and T’d up Beilein twice in State College at halftime a few weeks ago to eject him.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
But the bigger picture is the problem. Fran can't control himself and it appears he wears his players down mentally so his teams consistently hit a wall come February.
C’mon you don’t really think that the team that was ranked 3rd in the nation in ‘16 got worn out by Fran’s coaching and started losing games, or that this team, which was riding high for some time, just recently got worn out by his coaching. At what point did this happen? Was it during their four game win streak? Against Maryland when they lost on a putback? The players seem to love him, so this logic doesn’t follow to me

My theory is that every year there is a renewed focus by officials on limiting contact by defensive players. These rules are strongly enforced through non conference and the beginning of Big Ten play, then basically forgotten about as the year goes on. For Iowa’s non-physical players - there’s my criticism - this is the greater issue and what truly wears them down.

Of course, Fran needs to adjust. Not sure how, as this level of contact won’t be tolerated in the Dance, but Iowa needs to stop taking blows from other teams and start delivering them (kind of figuratively)... I would think you, somebody who has been outspoken (rightfully) about the sh***y officiating in college basketball, would be able to appreciate this line of thinking

C’mon you don’t really think that the team that was ranked 3rd in the nation in ‘16 got worn out by Fran’s coaching and started losing games, or that this team, which was riding high for some time, just recently got worn out by his coaching. At what point did this happen? Was it during their four game win streak? Against Maryland when they lost on a putback? The players seem to love him, so this logic doesn’t follow to me

My theory is that every year there is a renewed focus by officials on limiting contact by defensive players. These rules are strongly enforced through non conference and the beginning of Big Ten play, then basically forgotten about as the year goes on. For Iowa’s non-physical players - there’s my criticism - this is the greater issue and what truly wears them down.

Of course, Fran needs to adjust. Not sure how, as this level of contact won’t be tolerated in the Dance, but Iowa needs to stop taking blows from other teams and start delivering them (kind of figuratively)... I would think you, somebody who has been outspoken (rightfully) about the sh***y officiating in college basketball, would be able to appreciate this line of thinking

I think this team is mentally weak. I'm merely spitballing like you are for reasons.
Officiating in the B1G Ten is bad and they just might have an ax to grind with Fran.

I still think the problem is systemic.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Probably should be 2-5, if not for three lucky shots against poor teams. And hobo should not have been shooting free throws

They could have gone 2-5, sure. But they didn't. I didn't think they'd be 21-7 at this point. I figured this was an NIT team at best going into this year.

And agree to disagree on the foul. Sure looked like he got hit on the forearm to me.

It't time for Iowa to tank, and become the "Not ready for prime time players" that we have all known for 30 years. It's in their DNA because our coaches sooner or later get exposed for lack of depth, lousy defense, and lousy recruiting.

Many times, the officials need to be chastised. Why should they get a pass?

There's simply no good reason why home teams get more favorable calls. And that goes for games at CHA.

Officials do this because there are usually no ramifications for being a lousy ref.

To be fair, the stuff hit the fan with the refs when Conor was called for a moving screen which was the result of an OSU player running right into him and Conor lifted his arms to absorb the blow. Then Conor takes a shoulder to the face and gets called for a foul. Gets t'd up. Then Baer gets body checked at the rim with no call despite having 2 phantom fouls called in him earlier in the half when OSU was son a stretch of 8 straight possessions of getting 3 points on either and 1s or 3s (phantom because Baer wasn't playing any defense let alone tight enough to foul). Fran must have used a magic word because he wasn't all that demonstrative in what he said.

Fran is always looking for an excuse. Connor has been talking disrespectful to the officials all season. I’m actually shocked he hasn’t been T’d up earlier in the year.

Frans act is just old, Michigan struggled on the defensive end and he went out and hired a coach who teaches only defense. Fran might want to do that, instead he will sit in a zone and allow a team to shoot it lights out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT