ADVERTISEMENT

Fran's Seat - Temperature Status

Davis was not fired after going to the Sweet 16, in fact, he wasn't actually fired at all. It was known for most, if not all of his last season that his contract was not going to be renewed. The team played well in his last tourney and made it to the Sweet 16, as sort of a FU to Bowlsby.

As an aside, the bulk of the fans wanted Dr Tom gone too.

Also, I don't think Fran's seat is warm at all. It probably should be, but I don't think it is.

You can't fire Fran now. That should have been done two years ago. But after barely missing out on the Sweet 16 last year? Forget about it.

One thing is for sure, Foster better enjoy the gigantic microscope he just created for himself by making those comments. If he isn’t wildly successful... well it won’t be pretty.

Today doesn't factor into Fran's status or job performance directly. Does missing on XF make it harder to get the results on the court? Yes, but it's the results on the court that will dictate his ultimate fate. This season will probably be largely evaluated on JB's status. If he's playing and this isn't a tournament team, we probably get into major hotseat territory. If JB shuts it down soon, he'll have a fallback that Barta will buy. I do believe the FRANCON stuff and his personality give him a shorter leash than KF gets.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
how do you explain our starting center or the guy that just left a year early then?
You’re right cook was the best recruit other than possibly Wieskamp in frans tenure and Garza was a really solid recruit himself so I guess I did exaggerate a bit, but for every one of those guys it seems like we get a class or 2 of guys that are strictly back up options to the big time recruits that we originally go after. It’s hard to judge now because he has wieskamp pat and Connor who were locks from day one, but Fran has the recruiting ability of a mid to low major coach.

You’re right cook was the best recruit other than possibly Wieskamp in frans tenure and Garza was a really solid recruit himself so I guess I did exaggerate a bit, but for every one of those guys it seems like we get a class or 2 of guys that are strictly back up options to the big time recruits that we originally go after. It’s hard to judge now because he has wieskamp pat and Connor who were locks from day one, but Fran has the recruiting ability of a mid to low major coach.

right, but if Fran didn’t have kids who could play it’s common sense to think he would have gone after other kids. Hell, many people think they his kids ARE the reason we don’t recruit better.

having kids that play is tough. I don’t remember who said it, but if they aren’t the either best player or a walk-in you are asking for trouble.

right, but if Fran didn’t have kids who could play it’s common sense to think he would have gone after other kids. Hell, many people think they his kids ARE the reason we don’t recruit better.

having kids that play is tough. I don’t remember who said it, but if they aren’t the either best player or a walk-in you are asking for trouble.
But don’t you think having those spots locked up by his kids frees him up time to go after other big recruits without having to worry about recruiting other kids because his kids were already cemented into the roster from birth basically

I understand your frustration with the constant whiffing on key targets. I believe Fran needs to make a change on staff and target a recruiting shark as a replacement. However, recruiting classes cannot be fully evaluated until they hit the court. In a year or two it will be more appropriate to decide wether this class is good or bad, hell even waiting for it to be full will do. Recruiting hype doesn’t always translate to success, just ask Andy Enfield.

Honestly, this isn't about whether Foster ends up being the second coming or just a mediocre player. This is about perception.

Foster admitted he and his whole family are hawkeye fans. How do you lose him to your in-state rival? Fran is perceived as a hot-head who can't put players in the NBA. Iowa basketball is perceived as a middling program. It's hard to recruit great players with those perceptions. It's hard to win games when you aren't recruiting great players.

Perceptions are important. Right now, Iowa basketball is perceived poorly.

I’m not sure I’ll dial my expectations back to the NIT yet, but I have to admit, I expected to be much more impressed the other night than I was. One thing is for sure, if we don’t get solid guard play, especially at the #1, we are hosed. We have some very tough games coming up very soon. We can’t be trying to dig out of a hole at the start of the B10 schedule.

I think tonight will give us a much better idea than the exhibition and first game. Last year, a lot of people were negative and hand wringing after they felt Iowa looked less than stellar against UKMC and UWGB and there were many projections of them going 0-2 in New York. Instead, they took it to Oregon and UConn and the outlook changed completely.

This is kind of like ISU’s game against Oregon St the other day. First game against a program that has struggled in recent years but as seemed to have added better talent and has higher expectations going into this year. ISU came up short on their first big test but I doubt their fans are packing it in. I think tonight’s game - while not the definitive game for Iowa if they win or lose - will give a much clearer view of what Iowa has like last ywar’s Games at Madison Square Garden did.

Davis was not fired after going to the Sweet 16, in fact, he wasn't actually fired at all. It was known for most, if not all of his last season that his contract was not going to be renewed. The team played well in his last tourney and made it to the Sweet 16, as sort of a FU to Bowlsby.

As an aside, the bulk of the fans wanted Dr Tom gone too.

Also, I don't think Fran's seat is warm at all. It probably should be, but I don't think it is.

This is true - most Hawk fans had Dr Tom fatigue (sound familiar?) and wanted to see him go heading into his last season. The feeling was he was a nice guy and people had great memories of his first couple of years but things were stagnant and thought they could never get past the second round of the tourney (again very familiar). Even after the Sweet 16 run, people were downright giddy about Alford coming aboard and all of the Big Ten Championships and deep tourney runs coming.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

Then he must be a damn fine x and o’s coach

Fran won’t get fired any more than KF; Barta just does not demand excellence and resists change. He just recently gave 5 year extensions to the volleyball coach who hadn’t won a game yet and the golf coach who has let the program fall back from what Hankins had built

With the win, graduate, do it right mantra of Gary Barta, its pretty obvious that the winning takes a backseat to other considerations.

I think Fran is doing exactly what his AD wants. The leadership from the UofI athletic department is a sad state of affairs.

I do think he is a much better coach than he’s usually given credit for. I’m not knocking him on that. It’s the recruiting/level of talent the team has that disappoints me at times. I remember in 2017 with that very young group and Jok he was so close to making it to the NCAA tournament(I believe we were first four out that year) so I do believe he’s a good X’s and O’s coach

That’s not what I’m suggesting either. But I think we need to think about some of those bigger picture issues and priorities in order to identify how to fix them.

How does ISU recruit certain player types that Iowa struggles with. Why are out of stare kids from urban areas more likely to go to ISU than Iowa. I’m not entirely sure. But there is something there.
Iowa State is clearly the better route to NBA and that is all coaching and player development, not the town. Fran is a joke at coaching D, I wouldn't choose him either

Maybe it's not Fran. Maybe its Iowa.
You have a point. There is not much of a wow factor at Iowa anymore. It just seems like other programs/athletic departments have more energy.......The People- starting with the AD/ Coaches/ facilities/ etc/ just seems like we are lacking something........I'm pretty familiar with the Iowa facilities and besides the Iowa Football Weight room,,,,,,there isn't much of a wow factor in any of our facilities....Athletes have a parking nightmare/ I guess I'm saying there isn't a lot that lures in a 18 year old perspective student/athlete

Kind of rambling/searching-- but I think some of the problem is Iowa and I am a proud Iowa Grad

You have a point. There is not much of a wow factor at Iowa anymore. It just seems like other programs/athletic departments have more energy.......The People- starting with the AD/ Coaches/ facilities/ etc/ just seems like we are lacking something........I'm pretty familiar with the Iowa facilities and besides the Iowa Football Weight room,,,,,,there isn't much of a wow factor in any of our facilities....Athletes have a parking nightmare/ I guess I'm saying there isn't a lot that lures in a 18 year old perspective student/athlete

Kind of rambling/searching-- but I think some of the problem is Iowa and I am a proud Iowa Grad
Garbage. If you can recruit to Ames you can recruit to IC. Our coach just can't recruit or coach D. Kind of big problems to have

He apparently has no concerns over seat temperature. Is there even a seat at all? Which came first, the chicken or the nepotism?

Conner is a not a D1 PG. Patrick is not a D1 3/4. This will be proven over and over. We’ve all already seen the peak of Fran at Iowa. It was the NIT finals team.

It’s been over 15 + years since Tom Davis. Frans had 10 years , his results are average or below at best. His recruiting is below average. We can do better.
Yeah, 10 years in , Fran should have a more talented roster. We are going to miss Tyler Cook a lot this season., only explosive big we had.

Reactions: dekhawk
That’s not what I’m suggesting either. But I think we need to think about some of those bigger picture issues and priorities in order to identify how to fix them.

How does ISU recruit certain player types that Iowa struggles with. Why are out of stare kids from urban areas more likely to go to ISU than Iowa. I’m not entirely sure. But there is something there.

Nixon is from Bolingbrook Illinois not really the ghetto, Griffin is from Darien another mostly white subarb, Grill is from Maize Kansas, Jacobson is a Waukee boy, Javon Johnson is from Decatur Alabama, Tyrese is from Oshkosh Wisconsin, Young is from Sacramento, Bolton is from Petersberg Virginia. Only Conditt and Lewis both from Chicago and Milwaukee would be considered from a true urban area.

Frans seat would have been hot at any other school with an AD not named Barta. Hence, his seat quite cool and confy

Reactions: His Hawkness
One thing is for sure, Foster better enjoy the gigantic microscope he just created for himself by making those comments. If he isn’t wildly successful... well it won’t be pretty.

The nice part about it is he’s not successful it’s not on us. I think he’ll be really good and wish that for him but we don’t have to honor that receipt if not for once.

Blows me away how the low bar is for Iowa sports and in this case hoops. Look at the awful classes Fran has put together. Moss was the last of the group and his departure means 0 of those guys finished their careers at Iowa. None were regrettable losses other than Moss (maybe). "Oh look at Fran's ability to evaluate talent. He had Aaron White and, and, and (crickets)."

Fran is a big talker who hasn't gotten it done on the recruiting trail. What value do we get by keeping Fran and staff? Can't coach D. Offense is going be AWOL against any team capable of doubling the post and getting in the face of shooters. There will be nights when Iowa is hot combined with lazy D but they can be counted on one hand. Fran's big talk about the tough schedule and trajectory of the program is going to kick his ass this year. Then the same team comes back next year minus Kriener plus the Murray twins? Nunge will lose the 25 pounds he he gained this year and play the 1-5? It's more of a comedy act at this point than any serious attempt at elevating the program.

Frans seat would have been hot at any other school with an AD not named Barta. Hence, his seat quite cool and confy

no, it wouldn’t if you use logic and not emotion. Which is why ADs are ADs and you are bitching on a message board.

I will add that the lack of a good 2020 recruiting class is going to make his seat warm up quicker if we don’t see results on the court.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT